Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Engine Under Water Cox_ba12

Cox Engine Under Water Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Engine Under Water Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Engine Under Water

Go down

Cox Engine Under Water Empty Cox Engine Under Water

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi all. It is a ways away from the main event, but I would like to be fully prepared when the day comes. I have built a foam version of the Lil Swamp Buggy that will be powered by a Cox .049. Anyways, back to the topic. As I have never run an rc boat before, I am planning for the worst and was wondering what the protocol would be for a submerged engine. I am thinking the worst. Airboat flips over upside down. I would be there within a couple of minutes maximum from going over. I am thinking the following:
1. Removing needle and glowhead
2. Lightly blow out the engine
3. Apply a drop or two of oil in cylinder and rotate the crankshaft
4. Reassemble and run the little bugger again.

Or... would it be best to disassemble the while engine and blow out completely with air at a low pressure. I will also add that the engine in question that will be used is a product engine with horseshoe backplate.

Thanks for any help or tips you may provide.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Engine Under Water Empty Re: Cox Engine Under Water

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 pm

The fuel in the engine will protect the parts pretty well. If you want to run it again right away, I would suggest spraying it full of something to purge it, maybe WD40 in every hole into the engine. Or brake parts cleaner. Shake it around and flip the prop to purge it and restart immediately. If you take it home wet, I'd just submerge it in a jar of fuel and shake it up. Then remove it, dry it and bolt it back on. The solvents in the fuel will soak up the water.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:49 pm

The old school way was pull the glow plug off and run WD 40 thru the intake till it comes out the top using
a electric starter to spin up the engine. Quick way to remove water from the engine and cheap solution.
Of course at the end of your boating day you should use some good after run oil thru the engine till
the next trip out to the pond.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Whooop Rusty beat me to it lol.. Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:03 pm

As long as it's not salt water it's not a real big deal. If it decides to try and chase a fish and takes a drink, Disconnect the fuel system and purge all fuel and clear the fuel line, then just pop the head off (remove the shim) and then flip it upside down if it has a spring starter use it and pump out any water that might be in it (If an inboard use the starter) just flip it through good. and re-oil the engine with WD-40 and work it through then blow out the head and reinstall the shim and head. refuel and run a couple of tanks through it to purge any extra moisture in it and your good to go. If it's salt water it's best to immediately tear the engine completely down including removing the crankshaft and clean it thoroughly with solvent including the reed, backplate with spray bar. Salt water leaves behind the salt and it sticks to everything and will quickly start eating the crank, piston and cylinder. hope this helps
(Bandit)

Last edited by TDbandit on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Good point re. salt water, didn't think of that.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:36 pm

Thank you all for the great tips. It will be only fresh water and I did originally plan to run it again after a submersion and water removal. It kind of looks like I may have over thought what to do, and it does appear to be a relatively simple process.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Engine Under Water Empty Dunked engine

Post  706jim Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Learning how to fly, I used an O.S. FS20 engine on a Balsa USA "Swizzlestick", a very simple R/C plane. I strapped a block of foam underneath and flew it over the water after hand launching, every flight ending up with the engine submerged.
The procedure was simply to rock the engine back and forth until the water was cleared out, refuel and then fly again.
Afterwards, I would pump AW30 oil into the crankcase vent until oil oozed out of the front crank bearing.
No problems at all even with ball bearings in this engine.
For a Cox 0.049, I would just rock the prop back and forth until most of the water was expelled from the cylinder and crankcase and then refuel and run again.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:11 pm

yep, Water Displacement #40, with the red spray tube you can blow out the water with solvent.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Back when I was around 15, I had a Dumas L'il Swamp buggy with a Babe Bee on it.  We went to the lake often, so I built it to breakup the boredom. Ran great.  But one day after I started it up and put it in the water, the boat wouldn't respond to the transmitter.  Wha?!?  I looked down and saw I had forgot to turn on the transmitter!  I switched it on and looked up just in time to see the boat a wall across the water.  On impact, the firewall popped off of the motor pylon and fell into the water!  But, for some reason, I had the foresight to put a wire from the firewall to the deck.  I walked around to the other side of the water and pulled the boat out of the water with the engine dangling.  I just shook all the water out of the engine, glued the firewall back on, and kept going.  Engine ran great for a few more years.

The Soggy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Great idea there. I was actually pondering doing the same to mine, as the water I will be using it in is murky and about 14 feet deep. I am glad it worked out for you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:03 pm

As an aside, and not Cox related, I was at a seaplane fly-in at a lake in Massachusetts about 25 years ago.  I saw a Laddie Mikulasko North Star being flown with a .40 engine on it.  The pilot made a low pass a little too low, and the plane went into the water.  It actually submerged then popped back up.  The interesting thing was, the engine kept running!  None of us could figure it out, but the plane just kept going, and the pilot took off and flew around for a few more minutes before bringing it back in to the pits.

The Perplexed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:40 pm

That cowled tail must have stayed out of the water, or if it did dip, maybe an air bubble momentarily surrounded the venturi. But that's still pretty awesome.
Rusty

Cox Engine Under Water Attachment

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:50 pm

batjac wrote:As an aside, and not Cox related, I was at a seaplane fly-in at a lake in Massachusetts about 25 years ago.  I saw a Laddie Mikulasko North Star being flown with a .40 engine on it.  The pilot made a low pass a little too low, and the plane went into the water.  It actually submerged then popped back up.  The interesting thing was, the engine kept running!  None of us could figure it out, but the plane just kept going, and the pilot took off and flew around for a few more minutes before bringing it back in to the pits.

The Perplexed Mark

I have seen this happen before also where the plane went in under water and popped back out still running at a float plane fun fly. The pilot took off again with water running out of the wings. This was back in the early 90's.

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:58 pm

It is possible to make a cowl that protects the intake and allows it to momentarily be immersed. Think upside down glass in the sink.

My Johnson 3hp had without a doubt been COMPLETELY underwater when used for trolling and it did not stall. That was when on my parents boat.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down