Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Cox_ba12

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 7:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 6:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 3:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 2:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 10:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 8:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 7:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 1:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty
Live on Patrol

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc?

Go down

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc?

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Like the title says, how much run time do you get? If I crank my BW and start a stopwatch and run it at peak RPM with a 5x3 prop, I can get about 2:05 +/_ 0:10 with Glowplugboy 24%. If I use SIG 25% I get about 1:55 because it runs a little faster. When I time it, I take the block out of the vice and hold it so the pickup is at the bottom of the fuel supply. This is pretty much the same with all of my BWs. The reason I ask is some of the guys at RCG (it's been several months ago, I'll look for it), were saying 3 minutes or more was normal. Just curious. I do get longer runs with a 6x3 prop, but still not 3:00. Have any of you ever timed yours?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty Re: How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc?

Post  Kim Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:10 pm

RknRusty wrote:Like the title says, how much run time do you get? If I crank my BW and start a stopwatch and run it at peak RPM with a 5x3 prop, I can get about 2:05 +/_ 0:10 with Glowplugboy 24%. If I use SIG 25% I get about 1:55 because it runs a little faster. When I time it, I take the block out of the vice and hold it so the pickup is at the bottom of the fuel supply. This is pretty much the same with all of my BWs. The reason I ask is some of the guys at RCG (it's been several months ago, I'll look for it), were saying 3 minutes or more was normal. Just curious. I do get longer runs with a 6x3 prop, but still not 3:00. Have any of you ever timed yours?

I'll give it a shot in the morning....2:05 seems a bit short.

Well, I stand corrected. My B.W. is running right at 2:00 also. 8cc tank, 5-3 prop, Sig 25%, Tee Dee head...peaked and holding about 16500. This is my veteran runner, with a ton of flying time dragging the BOT aloft.

I'm out of time today, but now want to try it again with the glowplug adapter, and 6-3 prop that is it's usual set-up.

Last edited by Kim on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty My bw run time

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:15 pm

It has been since i gave the new piston/cylinder a run in since I ran a full tank through mine. Mine runs all the way to the scene of the crash/es on the nose of the farcebug lol! And it`s never more than about 40 seconds so I have no idea what the run time is on a full tank Huh...
I run a 3 blade on that 1 because I`m not after max scream with that little plane:14"span,15"L rudder tip to spinner;she is fast enough at that
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty Re: How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc?

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:03 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:...Mine runs all the way to the scene of the crash/es on the nose of the farcebug lol! And it`s never more than about 40 seconds...
How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Laugh-1 Do you need more practice Jaspur?

Next time I get out to the shop I'll time a couple of runs with a 6x3. I have two ready to go and one runs a lot faster than the other. I'm about to start a new thread about speeding up the slow one.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:35 pm

I've got a black widow that I swapped out the piston/cylinder with one of Bernie's SPI piston/cylinders and have a Kavan tank extender. It is a real screamer but has never run more than 2 min 45 sec. Doesn't run for long but the ringing in my ears sure does last for a long time.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:50 pm

fit90 wrote:I've got a black widow that I swapped out the piston/cylinder with one of Bernie's SPI piston/cylinders and have a Kavan tank extender. It is a real screamer but has never run more than 2 min 45 sec. Doesn't run for long but the ringing in my ears sure does last for a long time.

Bob
That's the run time with the extender? If so, then I think mine sounds about right.
I've toyed with trying a new SPI set, or maybe one of Bernie's Tee Dee sets, but I kind of like having it original since it's less than a year out of the box. Did the new set increase the performance?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:57 pm

That time is with the tank extender. This is an old engine (mid eighties) with lots of run time pulling gliders, GLH's, Humers and lots of other planes. I never tached it when it was in its prime but I know when I pulled it out of more than ten years of storage it was just an okay performer. The SPI piston/cylinder really perked it up.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:15 pm

I usually get around 3 minutes.

The engine in the video ran for about a minute or so while I adjusted the needle and turned on the camera before I actually recorded it. I'm actually quite amazed the engine runs as well as it does, the reed is very worn and it even has small "dents and creases" in it but I have always left it alone because it runs so well (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). I usually don't run them on 35% nitro but that is all I had at that time so I used it anyway. It always glows like that, no matter what fuel I use (5% or 35% nitro), the head is very bright itself! I will be recording all of my engines this spring.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 pm

I can see 3 minutes with that one, it's running pretty far off peak, or either it was swinging a big prop. I'm running mine full blast with a 5" prop when I've taken those times. I'll video mine from crank to empty tomorrow. I'll make you cringe as as you watch me hand hold the test block so the pickup is pointed to the bottom.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:44 pm

RknRusty wrote:I can see 3 minutes with that one, it's running pretty far off peak, or either it was swinging a big prop. I'm running mine full blast with a 5" prop when I've taken those times. I'll video mine from crank to empty tomorrow. I'll make you cringe as as you watch me hand hold the test block so the pickup is pointed to the bottom.

It does have a 5x3 prop. I really didn't want to lean it out too far with the 35%, first run after sitting on a shelf the previous winter and...oh what the hell, it needs a new reed. I'll swap the reed out tomorrow and run it in the garage. I can usually never get over throwing away any cox part, broken or not. I have a whole drawer full of bent and worn reeds, broken cranks, over corroded early 1956 Babe Bee parts (how unfortunate...), burnt heads, old crankcase gaskets, fossilized pickup tubes, ruined pistons, busted carb bodies and much more.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Haha, yeah, I've finally gotten better. I had to throw a bunch of parts out when my son, with all good intentions, left a bunch of old 5cc Bee tanks, crankcases(with shafts), cylinders and pistons in a pot full of fuel to soak, and forgot to tell me. A month later they dried out and were a gooky corroded mess. I hated it, no telling what I could have restored. But it's all gone now. I have enough to survive as I'm not a collector, just a flyer, but it still hurt. All I'm wanting for is I can only find 2 metal backplates in all my stuff. I really wish I knew where they went. I'd never use a plastic one if I could help it. I'm sure I could get some on the bay if I wanted to spend the money.

Also I've found my reedies don't like the 35% as well as the tamer stuff. The GPboy runs better than any of the SIG too. But the TDs love the Sig 25 and 35.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:27 am

Rusty,

I ran my widow tonight with a 6x3 and came in at 2:10. I had just installed the metal backplate, and I am not sure the pickup tube is in the correct position. It's a little hard and needs replacing.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:04 am

2:10 sounds like mine with a 6x3 on the bench, a little less in the air. I'll run them again tomorrow and see, but for a nice fast running engine it sounds like mine are okay. I think we might have had a case of oneupmanship and exaggeration amongst the RCG guys. Just another case of my curiosity.
My fuel always runs out before my fun does. Pretty soon my Li'l Satan will be the only one with a BW on it.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty mmmmmmaybe lol

Post  Jaspur_x Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:32 am

[quote="RknRusty"]
Jaspur_x wrote:...Mine runs all the way to the scene of the crash/es on the nose of the farcebug lol! And it`s never more than about 40 seconds...
How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Laugh-1

Do you need more practice Jaspur? Maybe a bit of flying practice would help me out lol BUT so would a plane built correctly that would actualy fly would be much more help lol

I noticed on that plane that the eleator stab was not horizontally level ......off by about 1/2" from ont tip to the next. I did attempt to repair this construction error, and am awaiting the weather to allow another flight attempt lol Beer Cheers
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:08 am

I'm crazy too, I find holding the 2x4 while the engine is running fun. Very Happy
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:30 am

[quote="Jaspur_x"]
RknRusty wrote:
How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Laugh-1

Do you need more practice Jaspur? Maybe a bit of flying practice would help me out lol BUT so would a plane built correctly that would actualy fly would be much more help lol

I noticed on that plane that the eleator stab was not horizontally level ......off by about 1/2" from ont tip to the next. I did attempt to repair this construction error, and am awaiting the weather to allow another flight attempt lol Beer Cheers
The elevator on my Satan was about 1/4" from tip to tip, higher on the inside. I was so mad I had overlooked that while the epoxy set. I flew it anyway and it was fine. I fixed it though. When my BW sucked air on a loop... as it so freakin' loves to do, I had the "opportunity" to repair it. I wish I could put an external tank on that plane, but there is nowhere to put it. Especially since I added a spar right on the C/G.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty Run time video

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:34 pm

My video will supposedly be on Youtube at about 1:45 Eastern US time at this address:
https://youtu.be/Sh0QBWDEYs8?hd=1

I'll have been in bed a while by then. I'll supply the HD link tomorrow.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Ah, yes, it uploaded as I slept. The link in the post above works now. I haven't been to the computer today until now.
And now I'm gone again till later. See y'all this evening.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:05 am

Well I had a new happy revelation tonight. After figuring out why one of my BWs was slower than the other, I slapped a new style SPI set with the short piston on it and it runs as fast as it should now. Not only that but it's obviously more efficient because my full speed run times are now 2:25 as opposed to 1:55 - 2:05 with the old #1 Black Widow cylinder (as seen in the video above). And as a bonus, it's much easier to needle. It gives almost an extra half minute more flying time with the same speed. The new style slit SPI cylinders work as advertised.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

How much run time do your Black Widows get on 8cc? Empty sweet!!

Post  Jaspur_x Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:17 am

RknRusty wrote:Well I had a new happy revelation tonight. After figuring out why one of my BWs was slower than the other, I slapped a new style SPI set with the short piston on it and it runs as fast as it should now. Not only that but it's obviously more efficient because my full speed run times are now 2:25 as opposed to 1:55 - 2:05 with the old #1 Black Widow cylinder (as seen in the video above). And as a bonus, it's much easier to needle. It gives almost an extra half minute more flying time with the same speed. The new style slit SPI cylinders work as advertised.

Proven results and I didn`t even have to break my new pieces out of the package yet.......I even got a throttle specifically to complement those spi cylinders Affraid or WOW!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:27 am

I'll have to fly it to see if that light piston develops as much torque as the heavy one. Especially stunting with a longer prop than I would use for just speed. But I have plenty of videos to compare the engine sounds with, as well as the good ol' pull on the lines. If it doesn't, I think a high compression head will make up for it. Y'all all know by now I guess a lot, so some of our better engine experts might have an idea about that. I'm not getting any flying time during the holidays, but I hope to sneak out for one before too long.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down