Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

VTO free flight model Cox_ba12

VTO free flight model Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 5:23 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

VTO free flight model Empty
Live on Patrol

VTO free flight model

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

VTO free flight model Empty VTO free flight model

Post  OVERLORD Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:50 am

At the moment, I'm building a free flight plane for vertical take off. I found the plan on Hip Pocket Aeronautics. Th delta wing is a built up wing of coroplast and balsa. I first cut out 4 ribs, 2 for the centre section and 2 for the wing tips. The ribs were glued to the bottom section of the wing cut to size. The upper section that will be folded over is left a bit oversized so it can be trimmed off later. The ribs were first glued in the middle according to a datum line. i then gradually glued towards the leading and trailing edges.

VTO free flight model Imgp8810

VTO free flight model Imgp8811

VTO free flight model Imgp8812

To fold over the coroplast, I cut 5 flutes in way of the leading edge. After the glue dried, the wing was cut to size.

VTO free flight model Imgp8813

Next I cut the fuse sides of 2mm balsa and fixed them onto the wing. In between the fuselage sides I cut 2 slots for 2 bulkheads. The bulkheads go all the way through the wing.

VTO free flight model Imgp8814

VTO free flight model Imgp8815

VTO free flight model Imgp8816

Top and bottom were then covered with 2mm balsa.

VTO free flight model Imgp8817

VTO free flight model Imgp8818
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

VTO free flight model Empty Re: VTO free flight model

Post  getback Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:55 am

Looking Good !!! I see it calls for a OK .049 what's the power plant going to bee ? I am seeing a lot of FF plane builds coming up on here , I just don't have enough fly space to justify building one unless it was rather small I do have a 2 acre field but there are trees all around so it would have to circle small . look forward to the progress . getback Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 am

A large number of free flight designs convert to RC very well. Just something to think about.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:13 am

I can see this is going to be an unusual build and can't wait to see the finished article.

From the plans (or what I can see!) - it looks like the engine will have a propeller front and back behind the tank and the engine unit(including tank) will spin around with the rear propeller. That isn't going to be easy.

From that (if I am right) - I assume that this will be vertical take off and then float back down in the same attitude.

This will be a very novel plane.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Yes, I like what your doing! This is an election year, so there will be plenty of building material like that available before and just after the elections! Can't tell from the pictures are you using 2mm or 4mm plastic sign material?  I think the "spinning nose" of the engine assembly will let this one fly very similar to the "flying rags" of my youth....with a bit more stability and just as much fun!  Keep us posted of your progress and flights.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:03 am

Hi Guys, thanks for your coments. I got a 049 reed engine with a stunt tank. That way, I don't have to extend the filling tube to keep the fuel inside the tank when mounted vertically. It will certainly take off vertically but I don't know if it will continue to climb that way. The article says it flies and land "horizontally" but it will be a fast landing I guess. I used 2,5 mm coroplast but for the fins, I will use 3 mm. I have some left overs from my other planes.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:55 am

A few pictures of my progress on the plane. I cut out both tail pièces with a key to fit into slots on both sides of the fuse. At each fin extremity, some hard balsa was inserted and glued in the corresponding flute. I started making the nose block of 7 sheets of 5mm balsa.

VTO free flight model Imgp8917

VTO free flight model Imgp8918

VTO free flight model Imgp8919

VTO free flight model Imgp8916

VTO free flight model Imgp9010

VTO free flight model Imgp8920
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 am

Coming together Nicely , good to see you have not abandoned the project cant wait to see it in the air . getback Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:37 am

Very cool build! Smile
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

VTO free flight model Empty Wooow !!

Post  jmcalata Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 am

Fantastic project Overlord.
I want to build someday the famous american V.tol motorglider Satellite, also 1/2 A with Small Cox Logo Tee dee.
jmcalata
jmcalata
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://aeroguada.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

I had a look at the engine I will use on the plane. It's an engine I bought from Robot 797.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8621-cox-baby-bee

I removed the muffler and replaced the gaskets. I also replaced the pick up tube and wedged it well against the backplate so the engine could empty the complete tank. The engine has a nr6 cylinder: 2 bypass ports and no SPI. The reed is the conventional copper star reed and I mounted a standard head.

I tested the engine running vertical. In that position, the tank can hold 3,5 to 4 ml of fuel before it squirts out of the other tube. With that quantity, the engine runs about 35 seconds. I recorded a run with 2 ml of fuel which gave a run of about 20 seconds and a run with 1 ml of fuel giving about 14 seconds of running time. With only 1 ml of fuel in the tank, the engine was more difficult to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozzhNasDr5A

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Lieven why are you using a 8cc tank if your only using 1-2 ml of fuel , if it were me I would but a BB tank on it if you have one , or maybe I am wrong again and it want run vertical ? You could put a hose from filler tube around the bottom to the other and cut a slot (opening) in it at the bottom I hear that will cure inverted flight with the Bee . I am thinking of the weight only if it matters , but it did sound good ! getback Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Looks like this plane design was inspired by the 50's Convair XFY-1 "Pogo". Good luck with it.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:04 am

getback wrote:Lieven why are you using a 8cc tank if your only using 1-2 ml of fuel , if it were me I would but a BB tank on it if you have one , or maybe I am wrong again and it want run vertical ? You could put a hose from filler tube around the bottom to the other and cut a slot (opening) in it at the bottom I hear that will cure inverted flight with the Bee . I am thinking of the weight only if it matters , but it did sound good ! getback Babe Bee .049

Hi Eric, I've been thinking about what tank to use and weight and all that. The stunt tank is the best option I think: It keeps fuel inside without the need to add extras to the engine- tank assembly.

Other options are:

1) Babe Bee tank and back plate. Two tubes have to be added to keep fuel in the tank. Difficult to do IMO as both filling nipples are rather small and tapered. Glue them on?? and make some sort of a retainer to keep the tubes in place and solid enough so that nothing flies off while the engine is rotating.

2) Babe Bee tank with a stunt tank back plate: no need to add extra tubes but a hole needs to be drilled in the curved part of the tank for filling and venting. This would also give a difference in diameter in the inlet tube as the back plate has a 2mm hole in way of the venturi but the tank inlet pipe has only a diameter of 1mm and centimes.

3) Product engine back plate. This means that an external tank has to be added and well fixed. Not the most beautiful option. Some helicopter plans on Outerzone show the fueltank in the fuse and fuel passing through the pivot. That looks maybe easy on paper but not so easy to make.

I don't think there is  a big difference in weight between the 5 and 8 cc tanks. What could be improved with a shorter tank is the CG position.

I have a few questions:

Does someone know the weight of a OK Cub 049 with tank?

On the Cox Comanche, Cobra and Sky jumper, is the engine mounted in the centre of the pivot? The back plate that Bernie sells seems to have an engine offset mounting plate. Is that to better balance the rotating engine?

http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-engine-firewall-helicopter-mount.html

The Sky Copter doesn't seem to have any weight to balance the pivot. I never had one in my hands. With the engine running and turning around, does it wobble a lot when holding?

George, Yes indeed. the VTOL projects were popular in the 50's: No need for a runway but difficult to land without a rear view mirror. Lockheed and Convair are well known. In France, there was the SNECMA Coléoptère:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AixAp_MgGVo

VTO free flight model C450_110

VTO free flight model Coleop10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:40 am

This could bee an option too:

VTO free flight model Cox_surestart_1999

A helicopter version of the product engine as seen on Cox free-flight helicopters. Straight-forward, but maybe a little boring way to go Smile

Image "borrowed" from http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_productengines.htm

You could also extend the stunt-tank's pipes with a fuel hose tied somehow in a way that the ends point up. Eric's idea could be useful too, or you could just take a 2-pipe backplate and run hoses from it's pipes up to the level of the crankcase. Maybe use an exhaust deflector with the "deflectin' part" pointing to the side or the bottom of the engine for a quick'n'easy bracket to tie the hoses to?

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:06 am

Kari, Thanks for hurting your brains. That's indeed the standard cox free flight heli engine with the purpose built backplate. It looks unusable for the creative modeller with that plastic tube at the back. It needs to be bolted on the backplate support that Bernie sells. Imagine what will happen when the plane lands with the fuel tank down. It can olso land with the cylinder down, because heavier. I don't like it and besides, I haven't got one of them.

What you said about the pick up tube is what I was trying to say in point 1 in my previous post. Only I couldn't find the proper words and you explained it the right way!

I'm almost finished making the parts for the pivot.

VTO free flight model Imgp9110
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:22 am

Wonder if one of these would work ? VTO free flight model One_ho10 and I have a BB 5cc tank that has been drilled , I have never ran either . If you use the small silicone tubing it should stay put ( the stuff for TD engine has a really good grip! Eric Cant Resist The Bunn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:23 pm

Lieven, as you probably know, giving unsolicited advice about stuff I don't really know is one of my fortes lol! (After all, I AM an engineer Wink )

I don't know how your plane is supposed to fly, will it eventually turn into horizontal flight, and what exactly happens when or after the engine stops, and which end will hit the ground first Smile

The chopper engine certainly is not the most attractive unit, but I think one could remove the choke pipe and then it would install like an ordinary horseshoe engine. The tanks were sold at one time by one of the usual suspects, not sure if they are available now.

Yes, it seems I missed the point in your previous message, sorry Smile

I was inspecting one of the recent arrivals to my sanctuary of homeless bees, and just for the heck of it, made a quick mock-up of what we have been talking about, added with the exhaust deflector as a bracket for the hoses. The way I see it, the centrifugal force would not throw the fuel out if the hoses were attached as in the second picture. The first pic just shows the components, and obviously there is extra length in the hoses. Didn't want to cut them as I use them elsewhere.

VTO free flight model Image10VTO free flight model Image11
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks Kari for the suggestion. I cut and soldered the engine mounting platform to the brass shaft. I tried to get it as straight as pos. It's not easy to snip, drill, file a .5 mm brass sheet while it has to remain flat! I mounted it all dry into the nose block. On the bottom the wheel retainer holds the pivot in position and determines the axial play. Between the wheel retainer and the block is an axial thrust bearing and a steel washer. On top, the aluminium bearing tube protrudes from the block to give clearance for the engine mounting bolts or nuts. On the wood, a round piece of plastic is glued to give the final round outline of the wood. Did I say that the right way?

VTO free flight model Imgp9214

VTO free flight model Imgp9212

VTO free flight model Imgp9211

VTO free flight model Imgp9213
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:40 am

getback wrote:Wonder if one of these would work ? VTO free flight model One_ho10  and I have a BB 5cc tank that has been drilled , I have never ran either . If you use the small silicone tubing it should stay put ( the stuff for TD engine has a really good grip! Eric  Cant Resist The Bunn

Eric, that backplate with the single filling thing has a small vent hole next to it, right?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:07 am

Yes if you blow it up (click on pic) The vent hole is between the filler and the otter screw / The mount is looking good Lieven . That engine is for sale on the bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/281982893548?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 I may have another back plate I would have to look/ getback Easter Bunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:09 am

The nose block is glued to the fuse and sanded to shape. On the bottom, I cut a round hole to have access to the shaft. After installing the bearing and wheel retainer, the hole will be covered with Oracover.

VTO free flight model Imgp9219

VTO free flight model Imgp9215

VTO free flight model Imgp9217

A cockpit idea:

VTO free flight model Imgp9216

VTO free flight model Imgp9218

VTO free flight model Imgp9220
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:22 pm

I like the idea of drilling the shoulder of a baby bee tank, and using a BW back.  Simple really is good at times.   However staying with the stunt bee tank would be even more simple.

Bernie at Coxengines.com will make a stunt baby bee tank on request.  

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:15 am

Cutest canopy ever!
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:18 am

I like that gives it that 1950s look of a space ship ! Coming together nicly Lieven got some smooth sanding lines there . Did you decide what your going to do about the engine/tank yet? Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next