Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Cox_ba12

Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Empty
Live on Patrol

Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit?

Go down

LOL Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit?

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:24 pm

While looking around on Hobby King USA west for a spinner I noticed they have the Black Hawk Models Apocalypse for $34.98
about half what I paid for my kit

This is a easy build and can be powered by any old skool .35 or a newer .20 or .25

It is basically a Dick Mathis Mongoose with different tail

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56429__Black_Hawk_Models_Apocalypse_Control_Line_Stunter_Balsa_860mm_Kit_US_Warehouse_.html

Larry Rice closed Black Hawk this year and I doubt you will see these redone by the new Canadian company if they ever start up production

At $35 bucks, this is a very good low cost way to explore a good sized stunt trainer, especially if you have a Fox 35, OS LA 25 or similar laying around looking for a ride
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

LOL Re: Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit?

Post  batjac Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Yeah, I keep looking at that. Especially since I could drive across town and pick it up instead of paying shipping. But I have enough kits already, I think. Maybe I'll ask around and see who's built one and how they fly.

The Indecisive Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

LOL Jr. Falcon/Topper

Post  roddie Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:22 pm

IDK... I really enjoy scratch building. There's so many plans out there. I have an obscure model.. out of the "50's" that was built by my uncle (probably in the 60's..) and given to me, several years ago... un-finished and un-flown. It was built from John D'Ottavio's plans. It's called the Jr. Falcon/"Topper". It's a slightly unorthodox stunter; in that it is a profile model.. designed for a .25/.35 glow engine.. but utilizes a "built-up" profile fuselage enclosing the pushrod to the flaps/elevator. Lieven helped me to trace the origins of this model through Kirt Blattenberger's site "
Model Airplanes and Rockets" very cool website

Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Topper10

Here's some pics of the model that I have..

Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Topper11
Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Topper12
Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Topper13
Thinking of a .35 style balsa stunt kit? Topper14

This model was unique; in that it excelled in C/L stunt/speed/endurance in separate events flown by "Eddie Elasic" in the 1961 AYSC Nationals. I have been told by some senior members of the N.E.S.T. (New England Stunt Team) that this model is a fabulous performer.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:23 pm

The Apocalypse and the Falcon look like good trainers. I think an extra inch of tail moment might help the Falcon be More of a specialty stunter.  The Apocalypse looks like a competent PA plane, and I'd add half ribs, a long front tripler, shear webs in the TE or spars and start learning the pattern.

Fred if you seriously want to learn the pattern and build confidence most easily, I'd use the .25, it will crank and run exactly the same on every flight and every day. I know the Fox lovers may feel otherwise, but I've had too much pleasing performance from OS 25s to believe otherwise, and I say reserve the Fox for sport fun flying.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:06 am

Shoot, for $35 I'd go ahead and buy it if you want it. I haven't come across any kitted plane that doesn't fly as advertized.

The real question is not how well it flys, but how well can you fly? It certainly looks capable enough, if one plans on using it as a stunt trainer then it will work for that, if one plans on just playing around with it then it fits that bill too.

The point is... a well flying plane in the wrong hands will fly poorly and a poor flying plane in the right hands can be flown well enough. That's not a dig at anyone, just an observation from watching a lot of folks fly and learning to fly myself.

So, back to my original statement, for $35 you can't go wrong anyway you slice it.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:17 am

I have several of the BW Mongoose reproductions and one un-built Apocalypse kit

Easy build wing covers fast with monokote or your preferred brand

Built to the plan balances close to design CG with either a Fox 35 or LA .25 each about the same weight

Mine will get a OS FX 25 on the nose eventually. If you like fast that combo will do it. If you prefer sedate stunt fun flying the LA 25 is the best bet out on 58 to 60 foot lines

I think Larry Rice said he morphed the Mongoose (a slow combat design) into the Apocalypse so friends could play combat and not each have the same looking plane. BUT they are both based on same wing and tail measurements so evenly matched

As a combat design Dick Mathis made the Mongoose to be fast build and rugged enough for combat

I think it is a great deal for a all around fun plane, fast or slow, for 35 bucks

In this class of knock around planes the only better fun fly trainer I can think of is the $58 CoreHouse RST-- bass wood fuse and foam wing Rugged Stunt Trainer also builds fast

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down