Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Cox_ba12

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 9:25 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Today at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Today at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Empty
Live on Patrol

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama August 13th

Go down

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Empty Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama August 13th

Post  Kim Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm

So, another Fun-Fly---this one in Huntsville, Alabama on August 13th. Contacted the CD, and got permission to park the trailer overnite Friday.

Nothing mentioned about control line in the announcement, but figure the 'ALL Models are Welcome' tag may make it OK. Think it's time for the Jetco Shark to make a few laps.

At any rate, Mud Dabber and a B.O.T. or two will be packing their now-standard cargo of GoPro cameras around the field.

Anybody C.E.F.'rs in range...come on!

Thinking maybe Jacob ought to design us a banner so that members can show the forum's colors...if nothing else for their own official photos. Guess I could print the header on some paper, and glue it to a stick....

Anyway...report to follow!

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Captur10

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Captur11

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Huntsv10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Empty Re: Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama August 13th

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Zoomed in on their map Kim & saw no evidence of any flying circles. You go on and keep them to their word "All models are welcome" and demand some C/L space on the day. Show 'em we're still out there.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Empty Re: Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama August 13th

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Kim, someday somehow we've gotta meet in person.

Unfortunately for me, my being tethered to a dialysis clinic blows away anything much more than a day trip or a short-distance weekend trip, as I have to leave home late on Fridays and then pack out early on Sundays since my Mondays all begin at 4:15 am.

I do feel lucky to have hooked up with a few CEFers though. Not a bum in the bunch, though one has gone AWOL. Microflitedude-Matt is a busy kid and I think he's building guitars and working hard. Alan(Bullit) from Charleston dropped off the map after I successfully took him to the Fort and, for his birthday, taught him to fly the planes he'd been building after joining CEF. Since you won't seem to go away, you're high on my list with several others... too many to mention. Do you still have your little X-Plane? You could puddle-jump all the way to Owens Downtown airport near my house... or the LZ where we fly, but you'd have to dodge AAA and explain yourself. So, yeah, Owens would be best.

I like people of all kinds, and meeting new ones is one of the finer things in life for me.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:50 pm

RknRusty wrote:Kim, someday somehow we've gotta meet in person.

I like people of all kinds, and meeting new ones is one of the finer things in life for me.
Rusty

Amen to that Rusty Dude!

I caught plenty of flak from my long-lost buds at the Piet Reunion for not having Ole Yeller there, but plan to get it going this Fall and over the winter. Gonna need some retraining/updating at keeping myself out of trouble, and intend to hit up an instructor for a little recurrency at some point.

In the meantime, I intend to run the tread off this camper's tires, so it's just a matter of time before I'm coming your way...got to see this 'Fort' place! Maybe coordinate it with one of Ron's trips as he works to keep our military landing straight!

I thought about Matt here recently, and hoped he was doing OK...figured he's just got a bunch of stuff going on.
Too bad about the other guys, but sometimes, people just turn and go in another direction.

Every trip sees things coming together a bit more, though I STILL have to remind myself (happily) that I can take a shower any time I want! Oh Luxury!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Zoomed in on their map Kim & saw no evidence of any flying circles.  You go on and keep them to their word "All models are welcome" and demand some C/L space on the day.  Show 'em we're still out there.

Rod.

Yeah,
My Shark's got no landing gear, launching out of a stooge, so any patch of grass ought to work.  NO muffler though, so hope it's howling Enya doesn't get us evicted !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:55 am

Bah, they have rules and regulations up the yahzoo!
Here's a quote from them:

Rocket City Radio Controllers, Inc.
FYING FIELD REGULATIONS December 15, 2015
range check also be performed. First flights of repaired or new airplanes also require a radio ground range check and inspection by someone other than the owner if there are other flyers or spectators present at the field. If possible, these test flights should be conducted when no other aircraft is in the air.
6) In order to comply with city noise ordinances, effective engine silencers are required on all engines 0.10 CID or larger and engine noise is not to exceed AMA noise requirements (96 decibels measured at 10 feet (3 meters) from the centerline of the model). When an engine is found to not meet these requirements, its operator may be asked to fly at reduced power settings when flying near the Leeman Ferry or Johnson Road boundaries. All Engines suspected of exceeding these noise requirements may be checked by RCRC club members or officers using the noise meter located in the cart shed. Note: The city noise ordinance restricts us to noise levels no higher than 55 decibels at the boundaries of our field.

Has anyone ever recorded the decibel level of their Cox engines...or unmuffled Enya's??
At least they don't outright Ban you from flying, just fly at reduced power!  Huh...
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dane Martin Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:30 am

Has anyone ever recorded the decibel level of their Cox engines...or unmuffled Enya's??
At least they don't outright Ban you from flying, just fly at reduced power!  Huh...[/quote]

Yes. They are in the 60's range. An unmuffled fox 35 hovering in a bi-slob was 77 db. Our club owns a db meter specifically for noise complaints. Funny thing, the guys complaining were flying rc jets and big two stroke engines that were much louder! Lol
Dane Martin
Dane Martin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:47 am

I used an iPhone app to measure the noise of two Babe Bees (ran one at a time) on a test bench. The distance was about 20" or so. I got 96-98 dB unmuffled, and with a QRC type muffler about 93. The level did not vary much from fron to back, mostly the variation was due to the inconsistent engine run. It was an "ad hoc" measurement, mainly I was testing the engines themselves with different configurations (more about that later) and my "new to me" optical tach.

In both cases the engine was running at about 13,500 rpm, 6x3 prop. The engines were mounted on a "workmate" bench about 3ft from the lawn in my garden.

They sure sound louder than they actually are Smile I think I'll borrow a "proper" noise level meter from work for more precise measurements.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Marleysky wrote:Bah, they have rules and regulations up the yahzoo!
Here's a quote from them:

Rocket City Radio Controllers, Inc.
FYING FIELD REGULATIONS December 15, 2015
range check also be performed. First flights of repaired or new airplanes also require a radio ground range check and inspection by someone other than the owner if there are other flyers or spectators present at the field. If possible, these test flights should be conducted when no other aircraft is in the air.
6) In order to comply with city noise ordinances, effective engine silencers are required on all engines 0.10 CID or larger and engine noise is not to exceed AMA noise requirements (96 decibels measured at 10 feet (3 meters) from the centerline of the model). When an engine is found to not meet these requirements, its operator may be asked to fly at reduced power settings when flying near the Leeman Ferry or Johnson Road boundaries. All Engines suspected of exceeding these noise requirements may be checked by RCRC club members or officers using the noise meter located in the cart shed. Note: The city noise ordinance restricts us to noise levels no higher than 55 decibels at the boundaries of our field.

At least they don't outright Ban you from flying, just fly at reduced power!  Huh...

Well Hoot,

Probably still pack the Shark anyway...in case I accidentally get miss-tracked and end up over in Rusty's neck of the woods !

Hope Mud Dabber's stock O.S. muffler doesn't cause anybody mental trauma....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:10 pm

As long as we're not louder than grenades and machine gun fire and the occasional tank canon we're okay at our LZ  lol!Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Img_1010
Rocket City Fun-Fly...Huntsville, Alabama  August 13th Img_1011

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:07 am

RknRusty wrote:As long as we're not louder than grenades and machine gun fire and the occasional tank canon we're okay at our LZ  lol!

Sounds like my kind of place, actually.  

Marleysky's copy/posting of some of their rules, caused me to scan their other stuff (I know, I OUGHT to do this, but usually don't), AND again emphasizes how much of a hermit I've become.

"Flying over the tennis courts east of the field, even if accidentally, is grounds for the city to revoke our permit to use the field. Consequently, there is to be absolutely no flying beyond the east fencing. This is to include ANY flight beyond the east most fence adjoining Leeman Ferry Road. Because the consequences to the club of a violation of this regulation are so great, a violation of this regulation is considered to be a major offense as defined by the club bylaws and will be treated as such in accordance with the club bylaws. In order for a penalty to be imposed, a board member, safety officer, or 2 members must see this violation. Upon witnessing the violation, the board member, safety officer, or the 2 members shall immediately issue a warning, suspend the offending pilot’s flying privileges for the remainder of the day,
and inform the rest of the Board within 48 hours. This action shall also be recorded in the Board of Directors files. The Board of Directors, at its next official meeting, will consider further penalties in accordance with the RCRC bylaws."

Still gonna give it a shot, hopefully without jeopardizing the club's apparently precarious existence.  At least the Lazy Bee's extended tailpipe won't violate the db rules.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:15 am

Well, you would have to have an extreme out of control aircraft to fly east far enough to go overhead of the tennis courts. ( Thirty count 'em, 30 courts, and 4 ball diamonds) There looks to be plenty of space north and south of the runway and flying field for aircraft to buzz around without any problem. Too far north and your in airport airspace....I guess that's not a problem? Too far south and you'll plant your plane in a gravel/sand pit, no problem there either.  These people must take the game of tennis seriously!     lol!

Rusty - shooting guns and flying airplanes......it just can't get any better than that, unless you're fishing and drinking beer!! Beer Cheers
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:21 am

Marleysky wrote:Well, you would have to have an extreme out of control aircraft to fly east far enough to go overhead of the tennis courts. ( Thirty count 'em, 30 courts, and 4 ball diamonds) There looks to be plenty of space north and south of the runway and flying field for aircraft to buzz around without any problem. Too far north and your in airport airspace....I guess that's not a problem? Too far south and you'll plant your plane in a gravel/sand pit, no problem there either.  These people must take the game of tennis seriously!     lol!

Rusty - shooting guns and flying airplanes......it just can't get any better than that, unless you're fishing and drinking beer!!   Beer Cheers

Yep, probably so...gonna look at it again over lunch at my Wi-Fi equipped restaurant here a bit...can't do Google Earth on my home dial-up.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down