Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Simple Sabar Trainer ?  Cox_ba12

Simple Sabar Trainer ?  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Simple Sabar Trainer ?  Empty
Live on Patrol

Simple Sabar Trainer ?

Go down

Thinking Simple Sabar Trainer ?

Post  getback Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:42 pm

anyone flown one of these ? I put it in Q sounds interesting // http://www.outerzone.co.uk/download_this_plan.asp?ID=6286
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Simple Sabar Trainer ?

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:50 am

Eric, the plane itself looks very similar to the Warbirds series that Midwest produced. Keeping in mind, it's a trainer. It certainly has potential to be more. I completely understand the designers intent here.  While this one being a Sabre jet, the Midwest trike gear was the P-63. I still own my P-63. Looking at the print you show, the plane is equipped with a Babe Bee. The plane will fly with that engine, it will certainly be down on power lending itself to mild maneuvers.

I would shorten the fuse a bit and lose the landing gear plus I would go for a Black Widow. You can never have enough power and slabbed wing planes are notoriously poor flyers needing every ounce of power you can squeeze out of it. It's a lot easier to tame a engine down than to go the other way.  I don't mean for that to sound negative, but built up wings fly much better and require less of the engine to make it fly correctly. Trike gear planes are problematic taking off on grass, it also generates a lot of additional drag.  The stance of a trike gear 1/2A is too narrow and the plane wants to easily tip from side to side. There fun as can be on asphalt though. Touch and goes are fun, I like to do that with the large stuff. This is one reason I like trike gear. It takes a bit of skill to do the touch and go however most that first try it usually end up doing the smash and go.

This simple design  looks cool and it would be neat to see something like this flying on video. I love the simple designs from the 70's. These were always in the magazines back then. it certainly is disheartening that we no longer have publications for control line at the level which once was. While Control line World is struggling, it fixates on the stunt community and not the 1/2A flyer which is really what I consider myself as.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:27 am

I don't know if this is the same design, but still a Sabre.  It looks to be a more scale design, with swept back wings & all.  Certainly looks like it performs well.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply's Ken and Rod , I think it will be a good flyer for me and my son to fly some balsa together , shortening the fuse for a more powerful BW would be a good idea and since we fly on grass the landing gear can be omitted . The slab wing will be easier to repair too . the one in the video looks a lot like it with the built up engine mount . We will see! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:07 pm

getback wrote:Thanks for the reply's Ken and Rod , I think it will be a good flyer for me and my son to fly some balsa together , shortening the fuse for a more powerful BW would be a good idea and since we fly on grass the landing gear can be omitted . The slab wing will be easier to repair too . the one in the video looks a lot like it with the built up engine mount . We will see! This Site Rocks!

I'm very curious about this model; having started to build a T33 for profile 1/2A Tee Dee speed. I really wish I'd gone with laminated Sig air-foiled sheet panels, but I've got the wing-tip/faux-tanks built.. and just want to finish and fly it.

Eric.. you probably already thought of this.. but make sure to use a two-blade prop.. and tighten it on the crankshaft so that when the engine cut's-out, that the prop "wind-mills" to a horizontal position; coming up on a compression-stroke, to lessen the chance of breaking when the model lands. Rolling Eyes You probably knew that.. but it never hurts to mention it.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks Roddie , I will index the prop so hopefully it will stop in the right place . I like the airfoil balsa stock for a quick way to get the wing done and have some lift already in , haven't started yet on the model my printer has stoped working when you need it the most Mad for labels also now that my bay account is changed to (flybyline1957) Got to move some mowers right now , hope to see you in the air soon!! Eric bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I need to make some 1/2A lines up. I made a 42' set for the 1st CEF Reed Speed event, that were two separate lines because of the type of handle I was using. I got them to within 1/2" of each other.. which wasn't easy. The next sets I make; I'll just measure double the length I want, and run the single-lines "through" some other handles that I have (Sig-type..) which will simplify matters. I used to use Cox handles with Dacron line that way. It's been so long.... since I've flown.. I need to "Getback" to my roots.. and have some fun.. even if it's on REAL SHORT lines.

I'm also psyched to try the "bathmat wing-stooge". That might be something to consider with the Sabre-jet. I figure that a height of between 30-36" should be tall enough for the model to recover; once it slips-out and drops a bit. Something maybe like three "milk-bottle crates" stacked-up. The "bathmat" wing-wrap should probably be "just that".. or some other thin/smooth/flexible material that wouldn't snag a wingtip-weight when launching.

My gearless T33 would need a hand-launch.. or take-off dolly because of the wingtips being built-up to resemble fuel tanks.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down