Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Cox_ba12

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 944_Jim Today at 9:53 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Empty
Live on Patrol

Cleaned up and ready for prime time

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Empty Cleaned up and ready for prime time

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:57 am

Sorry Fred, picture heavy.

Running 1/2 throttle about 4K

Cleaned up and ready for prime time New_fu17

Clean-up

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_112

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_114

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_113

New case gasket, throttle control arm, and prop washer. Everything else the same.

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_110

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_111

Question is - will it run, and if so as well as it did before? Stay tuned.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Empty Re: Cleaned up and ready for prime time

Post  Ken Cook Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:10 pm

It will run until that Fox plug takes a dump.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Empty Re: Cleaned up and ready for prime time

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:59 pm

It looks new! Y'all are making me want to clean my old Enya 35 and run it. It's been a shelf queen for over 3 years now. It's a 5224 with the square plastic top on the venturi.

Like this, only dirtier. But free turning.
Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya35mkiiib

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Nice work Bob! That engine looks really nice!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 am

Ken Cook wrote:          It will run until that Fox plug takes a dump.

Smile...........Thanks Ken, Now I know what plug that is, seems to be the most popular plug that I get on these engines.  I always look for some kind of markings on them during clean-up.  Some are marked, most not.  I have no idea as to heat range.  At least Enya plugs are marked.  

Next up will be this uncleaned "airfoil" Enya .29.  I hope to run it when I recheck the .15. Yes, I will just swap plugs.

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_318

And Rusty, I just got in this Classic Enya .35 from Bobby Brooks.  Same 5224 case as yours, different BB/venturi front end and a different head.  Nope, it's a shame, I'm not going to run it.  One of only two that Bob had, both sold now.  Although, with my last dying breath I may reach over and flip a prop on it one last time.  Smile

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_319

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_320

I love those old "worst of the worst" Enyas, but these NIP are not too bad either. I don't know what they are using for muffler materials now, but this one has the lightest muffler I have ever felt. Or maybe it's just my imagination.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Cold (29-F) in the garage and snow flurries but I was determined to check that Enya .15 after a clean-up.  Wow!

Runs great, liked a lot of needle at first.  Tweaked to a strong, steady, rpm throughout the throttle range.  Tough to compare rpm's with the dirty engine (TV settings) but there is no doubt that it ran smoother and with more gusto.  

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _15_2912

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _15_2914

Sadly, I could not get the airfoil Enya .29 to run.  A few short strong bursts off the prime then nothing.  Maybe that Fox glow plug did dump Ken.  Will replace with an Enya #3  and try again.  But, uncleaned and from previous pictures you can see that the venturi is pretty well blocked with old castor.  

Cleaned up and ready for prime time Enya_s16

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _15_2913

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _15_2911

Both were preheated with a heat gun.  Wish I was too.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Bob I've mentioned this before on here. I'm also not being the safety police.  I will just offer my experiences with the props your using on that engines. They were great props when they were NEW. Now not so good. I bolted a engine on a test stand using the same prop  fired it up for a nice break in run and the prop threw a blade. It was a cold day as well and the blade went through my jacket and between my two lower ribs. Cost me a extensive and costly day in the emergency room that afternoon over a $2 prop. I flex those blade very hard prior to using and nine out of ten times the blade snaps off at the hub. Boiling them doesn't work and for the cost of a new prop it's just not worth it to me. My flying competitor took a blade to his face where it went through the side of his cheek. These kind of accidents can be very serious especially if your alone and on medications that can create blood thinning. Just a word of caution that's all.  Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:38 pm

Thanks Ken, I have read your warnings before about these nylons.  But honestly, losing a prop blade was the last thing on my mind.  I was more concerned about the mounting screws coming loose. I do have some new wooden props, I will substitute them and devise a more secure mounting system for the future.  

But I must admit, despite the cold this was fun!  For one thing, it eases my mind about all the engines that I have cleaned in the past.  I'm sure that they will all run just fine. This isn't the first engine that I have compared before and after.  All preformed well, I just never tached them.    

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:54 pm

rsv1cox wrote: Thanks Ken, Now I know what plug that is, seems to be the most popular plug that I get on these engines.  I always look for some kind of markings on them during clean-up.  Some are marked, most not.  I have no idea as to heat range.  At least Enya plugs are marked.  

Next up will be this uncleaned "airfoil" Enya .29.  I hope to run it when I recheck the .15. Yes, I will just swap plugs.

BTW, the plug on the Enya .29 appears to be an old "Champion". Those plugs were discontinued by the Champion company in the mid fifties because they became more costly to make than a standard spark plug. When they were discontinued, some of us ran to our LHS and bought up the remaining ones.

Does that plug still work?

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:14 pm

gcb wrote:
rsv1cox wrote: Thanks Ken, Now I know what plug that is, seems to be the most popular plug that I get on these engines.  I always look for some kind of markings on them during clean-up.  Some are marked, most not.  I have no idea as to heat range.  At least Enya plugs are marked.  

BTW, the plug on the Enya .29 appears to be an old "Champion". Those plugs were discontinued by the Champion company in the mid fifties because they became more costly to make than a standard spark plug. When they were discontinued, some of us ran to our LHS and bought up the remaining ones.

Does that plug still work?

George

Nope George, It's a dead open. Wish that it did though.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:26 pm

I tried the oval .29 again with better results.

It wasn't the Fox plug that was at fault, when I topped off the tank and put on the cap I twisted it in the holder pinching off the fuel line. Hey, it was cold outside.

Fixed that, preheated and it started right off. I leaned it out a bit and tached it at about 4.5 K. Then I remembered Kens warning and put a wooden prop on it. Started it again but this time it would surge and relax so I shut it down.

I take a lot of pictures as memory prompts. These tell me that they came with no case gaskets confirming Bob Brooks opinion. The engine shows little wear, No damaged machine screw heads or "coke" buildup around the top of the cylinder, the piston popped right out leaving the cylinder in the case, out of dozens of these I have done, a first for me. Tooth picks save plier marks both in installing and removing tight propellers.

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _29_ru16

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _29_ru13

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _29_ru15

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _29_ru11

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _29_ru10

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _29_ru12

Cleaned up and ready for prime time _29_ru14

After a clean-up I will run it again. But first I have to devise a better securing system.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:09 am

Cool Bob , yes i was looking at the screws in the splintered wood and just makes me quench . I was running a Fox 35X on a stand made for testing but old and it came loose it was Very fridhting till i could get behind it to shut down the fuel line Happy New Year Please Bee safe !! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 am

getback wrote:Cool Bob , yes i was looking at the screws in the splintered wood and just makes me quench . I was running a Fox 35X on a stand made for testing but old and it came loose it was Very fridhting till i could get behind it to shut down the fuel line Happy New Year  Please Bee safe !! I Love This Forum!  

Yes, me too. Those were inch screws though and pretty solid but I never trust that particle board.

Broke down and bought one of these, been looking at them for years:

Cleaned up and ready for prime time A_test10

Heavily promoted on ebay from the UK, still less that $30 shipped, undercutting the ones from MECOA. I will be moding it a bit for my fuel supply, love that system, only one fuel line to bother with and so easy to use that it's a pleasure to run engines.

Bob

Anyone else have one of those test stands?

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:49 am

OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:18 am

Post the link for the mount Brother Bob...I am likeing it
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:28 am

fredvon4 wrote:Post the link for the mount Brother Bob...I am likeing it

Here ya go Fred:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132047204725?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And Lieven I don't know how I missed your referanced post but I did.  I guess you have no complaints regarding the test stand?

I plan on the same, mount it on a board and bolt it to the work mate.  I will be devising a whole new mount for a larger open top fuel tank and integrated throttle control.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:51 pm

From Bob Allan's Enya .29 and .35 writings.

Here was an engine weighing only about 6.8oz, putting out the kind of torque (for size) only matched by the likes of McCoy 60’s and Fox 29R racing engines and unlike the latter (which was a real bear) the ENYA remained a pleasant, easy handling engine, which even a novice could operate with confidence. One of the features which contributed to the 29 ­ III’s very high performance was it’s intake system, or to be more specific, the shape thereof.

Previously, most engines of that era featured an oval or round intake hole in the crankshaft, but the 29 ­ III had a large rectangular port matched to a similarly shaped venturi aperture. This had the same effect as a quick lift or“ lumpy “ camshaft in a hot rod engine, in that the intake remains open for alonger effective period of time, allowing more fuel mixture to be admitted. Bycontrast, the corresponding stunt orientated 35 had a similar rectangular portin the crankshaft, but coupled with a circular hole through the bronze bearingthis set up gave a less abrupt opening and closing of the shaft valve.

There is a good picture of that port in the crankshft in the last picture where all the parts are in the cage ready for cleaning.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Bob, no complaints, only bear in mind that the stand is not suited for engines smaller than .15.

Last edited by OVERLORD on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:10 pm

https://servimg.com/view/19152833/1178

Tell me you didn't really run it like this......
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:41 pm

706jim wrote:https://servimg.com/view/19152833/1178

Yes I did, and felt badly about it. Just think where all that stuff went, right up though the intake ports and into the cylinder. Not happy about it either. I usually clean them prior to running but with this one I was trying to prove a point. Thankfully the saying that "it's hard to wear out an Enya" will hold true in this case. I have quite a few others just like it, but throughly cleaned.

As mentioned, while it was nasty on the outside it was very clean on the inside. Just check out the pictures of the disassembled Enya .15 and compare with this one

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:12 pm

If you mean did he run it clamped in a vise, no I don't believe he did. Run dirty, yes.
Regardless of whether it was run in the vise or not, I can't stand to see an engine held like this. I've been guilty of it myself and have damaged engines in my youth. I have had to file vise marks out of bearers on too many "rescue" engines. It's not just the marks, but the potential distortion of the case which is the big issue.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Are those the engines that rotating the nose provides reverse rotation of the engine?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:

If you mean did he run it clamped in a vise, no I don't believe he did.  Run dirty, yes.
Regardless of whether it was run in the vise or not, I can't stand to see an engine held like this.  I've been guilty of it myself and have damaged engines in my youth.  I have had to file vise marks out of bearers on too many "rescue" engines.  It's not just the marks, but the potential distortion of the case which is the big issue.

Hmmm, I never even thought of that.  No needle in the engine.  I only [bleep] it up lightly to remove that "spark plug" glow plug as I didn't want to damage it.  Cinched got bleeped?  Might have spelled it differently.

Yes, there is an Enya model that will run backwards if you rotate the front end 90 degrees.  I just read something about that and will get back to you.  I don't believe it was this model .29 though.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:35 pm

pkrankow wrote:Are those the engines that rotating the nose provides reverse rotation of the engine?

Phil

I think that all the Enyas with the 4 bolt front housing can be rotated 90 degrees for reverse rotation. Having said that, I have never heard of another brand doing the same, even with the similar front housing. I would imagine the timing may end up a little different.
Enya actually sell (sold) matched pairs of counter-rotating engines for use in twins.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:16 am

From Bob Allan's "Short history of the Enya .19 and traditional Enya's."

its not generally known that an ENYA engine with the bolt - on front housing can very easily be made to run in reverse, simply by rotating the front housing 90 degrees to the right ( when viewed from the rear of the engine ). Why would you want to do this ? Well, I' ve been wanting to fly a C/L model with 3 line throttle control ever since I was a kid, and the information I' ve gathered suggests that an engine turning in the opposite direction to normal is highly desirable, as sudden throttling up will usually cause the model to bank in on the lines, due to torque reaction in an anti - clockwise ( viewed from the front ) turning motor. So, I contacted my ENYA friend in the States who is an engineer, Pat King, and asked him to check the shaft timing on an ENYA 35 - lll B, firstly with the intake upright as delivered from the factory, then with the shaft housing rotated 90 degrees to the right hand side of the engine - here are his findings
ENYA 35 - lll B shaft timing, normal configuration - With housing on the side ( reverse rotation )
Port opens at 48 deg. ABDC Port opens at 46 deg. ABDC
Port closes at 48 deg. ATDC Port closes at 50 deg. ATDC
Pat says that " The timing is so close that a dynometer is probably the only thing that could detect the horsepower difference ". Obviously, the shaft timing duration remains the same, so 5 minutes with a screwdriver and you can convert your ENYA to run in reverse ! Don' t forget to bolt on a pusher prop.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next