Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Look what Santa brought! Cox_ba12

Look what Santa brought! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Look what Santa brought! Empty
Live on Patrol

Look what Santa brought!

Go down

Look what Santa brought! Empty Look what Santa brought!

Post  KariFS Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 am

Here are my hobby-related gifts from this Christmas:

Look what Santa brought! Image40

A three-litre ultrasonic cleaner with 100W ultrasonic power and a 100W heat element. It heats up to 80deg C, I am hoping it would also work as a crock pot for heating and loosening stuck engines. I tested it on a couple of engines, one was a 290 that I had already cleaned in my older, smaller washer but that was still stuck. The heat helped, as after a few minutes I was able to get the cylinder off and also remove the stuck crankshaft. This washer is a lot noisier than the old one but also a lot more effective. The old one had no heater either.

Another hobby-thing was this ultraviolet light. No, my hobby is not playing CSI, this one is for telling different types of stamp papers apart. Some papers on some postage stamps are fluorescent... Yup, I am a stamp nerd too Smile

Look what Santa brought! Image39

Other stuff included the new Norah Jones album and a couple of books. We have tried to reduce the amount of gifts to adults, we do the "immaterial gift" thing with my siblings. Kids of course get more stuff, the boys got swords and masks (they have been fencing with loan equipment 'til now), watches and the younger one got some Legos too. Plus some books, hobby shop gift certificates and so on.

Of course the biggest gift again was the peaceful time together with the family, eating way too much of traditional Finnish Christmas food, staying up late, watching the tree, sitting and falling asleep in great-granpa's old rocking chair, sleeping in and doing nothing Santa

I hope you all had a pleasant Christmas too  Christmas Tree
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Look what Santa brought! Empty Re: Look what Santa brought!

Post  fredvon4 Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:08 pm

a few years back....Several of the very first things I got were crock pot (walmart dinky $9 version ) and a 1.5 L Ultrasonic (e-bay $89) back when guys were offering great ways to deal with gummed and locked up engines

Both rather infrequently used

I did learn that there are combinations of liquids that badly discolor a lot of the differing aluminium alloys-- if left too long-- in the Ultrasonic cleaner tray

I currently only use Distilled water and a FEW drops of Dawn Dish soap in the Ultrasonic bath, and as High a temp as I get get it to... Early on experimenting..OK you can laugh at me here...I used a tad too much Dawn, and left the thing run over night.... made a bit of a mess with the excessive suds!!!

Because the Ultrasonic will add heat, I now very rarely use the crock pot

I truly wish I could find a source for Hoppes #9 in Gallons (reasonably priced) as this solvent in both the crock pot and UltraSonic cleaner would be about as good as can be...IMO

Since you have the Ultrasonic cleaner...I recommend getting the Local jewelry guy to gift you HIS (used) ring cleaning solution...and doing the significant other's rings occasionally... as well as a few engines

OK that is a bit vague...

I was at the local jeweler and mentioned having a Ultrasonic cleaner, and explained the model engine use--- as we chatted about a gift for the wife. I asked what he did with the used solution and wondered aloud if I could have a sample to try on the "engines"

He went in the back and brought a quart jug of dirty solution (to this day I have no Idea the composition) as a gift to me to try on the "engines"

This stuff works a treat even used and dirty...for all my wife's jewelry ---and my engines...

Of course she wonders aloud occasionally about her Bangles smelling a tad bit like a day at the flying field... I keep mum....
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:01 pm

I love the ultrasonic cleaners, there are lots of times I would use one. Even just for shining up an old engine so it looks better on a new model. We had a thread about improvising them and still think of making a pint-sized fixture to mount on my palm sander. But I wouldn't want to leave it unattended.

We have scaled back on gifts too. There is no sense giving something that only needs dusting off when it's time to tidy up the house. I got a book of paper planes designed by Dean Mackey. There are different types for distance, accuracy and flight time, with targets and a landing strip with a hangar to try and park it in. I can use this to play with my new 5 y/o defacto granddaughter(soon likely to be official). My son is already trying to train her in the sciences, and she seems to process it.

Got a tear-off brainteaser calendar which has stumped me every time so far. $50 bucks from my Mom got me some balsa wood and an aluminum micro miter box. Michaels sucks, they don't have any instant CA or bottle tips. But I took my scale and weighed my wood and got some nice pieces that I needed.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 pm

I tried my new mitre box tonight.
Look what Santa brought! Mitre_Box_for_Cutting_Parts_XActo_29030

I cut a 45 in a 1/4" spar to test it. It has a lip on the bottom to overlap the edge of the table and stabilize it, that's a big help. But my saw like the one in the picture jams when you get down to the wide part above the blade. No problem, I have a similar sized Jap saw that doesn't have that problem. But then the blade bottoms out before it cuts all the way through the wood. The reason is there are channels in the bottom of the box to fit several different sizes of wood. But the reliefs to allow the blade to drop all the way to the bottom aren't finished. I had to take my hack saw and deepen them before it would cleanly cut all the way through. That was a stupid way to make it, they packaged it before it was finished, and obviously not tested. Works fine now.

I read an angry ranting review by a dissatisfied buyer. He spent more energy being mad than I did fixing it. Now I can cut matching angles. It won't do a 22.5 deg. angle, but that could possibly be added. I'm happy with it.

My Twister wing kit came with four 36"x1/4" square dowel halves, meant to be joined for the two full wingspan spars. They weighed 13.5 grams, 14.5 grams, 8 grams, and 5 grams.... WTF! What a combination. I had some light stock, so I tried manually cutting 45 deg. joints and scabbing a 9" piece onto each end of the heaviest pair. But some of my epoxy joints set too brittle and were weak. It was too cold in the shop and I s'pose I didn't use enough hardener. I started redoing it, but all the manual mitre cutting ruined my elbow, so I had to quit.

Now that I got my new tool from Santa, I can get back to work. I took my scale to Michaels and bought four 36" 10 gram spar sticks. I watched Sparky build a wing the other day and asked him what his 36" spars weighed. He said 4.5 grams. No way I'm going that light though, I know I need more strength the way I punish a plane. I thought the 14.5 was too heavy, so I settled on 10 grams each. Now I can fly through this project. After joining the spars it's all ready to be glued up. I also have some basswood stock in case I get ambitious and use a foot of it in the center. But I still have to impatiently wait a little longer for my elbow to heal. Something's always broken, if not a plane, it's me  Rolling Eyes
Thanks Santa(Mom)!
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down