Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Cox_ba12

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Empty
Live on Patrol

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Empty Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs

Post  OVERLORD Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:11 am

This model will be equipped with the Black Lynx engine I won in December. It’s an airboat designed by Vic Smeed. The article appeared in the Grid Leaks issue of 7-8 1965. The plans can be downloaded from Aerofred. The hull is made of 3mm balsa with a plywood pylon.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Hydrob10

The past weekend, I cut out the 2 bulkheads and the longitudinals, all provided with slots to go together like a puzzle. The transom was then glued in place. Vic designed the transom big enough so the edges could be adjusted to the right angles.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2112

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2113

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2114

To keep a straight square finish on the transom edges, these were adjusted using a plane. It is much faster than sanding too. The next thing to do is to cut the pylon, glue that in place and plank the central bottom part.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2214

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2216

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2215

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2213
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Empty Re: Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs

Post  ian1954 Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 am

That is very neat and tidy woodwork.

Are you using cyano on this?
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Empty Re: Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs

Post  getback Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am

Cool Build , had to google the image to get in my mind the outset .. Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Hydro-10
Bee sweet when done . Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:50 am

That's the one!! I used ordinary wood glue and let it dry for 24h each time.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm

getback wrote:Cool Build , had to google the image to get in my mind the outset .. Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Hydro-10

Yes sir! Lieven finds and builds the most interesting models I've ever seen. I wish I had his snow-car here for running after a big storm that's due to hit this region early tomorrow morning.

This little boat looks like a lot of fun! I'll bet it skips-along like a hydro!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 pm

roddie wrote:
getback wrote:Cool Build , had to google the image to get in my mind the outset .. Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Hydro-10

Yes sir! Lieven finds and builds the most interesting models I've ever seen. I wish I had his snow-car here for running after a big storm that's due to hit this region early tomorrow morning.

This little boat looks like a lot of fun! I'll bet it skips-along like a hydro!

Tomorrow would be a good day for a snow car 3+ inches predicted tonight.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks for your encouraging posts. We havent seen snow yet this year. The snow plane stays in the cupboard for the moment.

I checked out the pylon on the plan with the engine to be fitted. I will increase the height by 5mm so the prop clears the deck. I will also cut a rectangular hole to partly insert the fuel tank in the plywood.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2218

I'm planning to modify the pylon a bit. Originally, the 3mm firewall is just stuck onto the pylon's edge. I want to make an 8mm firewall with a slot to improve the bond between both pieces as is shown on the drawing of the Graupner motor mount for their small gliders (nr 3).

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp2217
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Oh, great! Just what I need. Another plans site to spend hours searching and downloading plans....

The Time-Crunched Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:48 am

THE PYLON

The pylon was cut out from 3mm ply. The fire wall is 5,5mm thick. The tank fits in the rectangular hole. The fuel feed pipe sticks through the fire wall. The parts were epoxied together and epoxied in the frame. I dry mounted tank and engine and the prop should have enough clearance. Next is the bottom planking.

Some pictures

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3311

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3211

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3210

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3312

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3313

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3310
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:36 am

Nice I like 1/2A boats, 2 weeks ago I finished one with a .07 engine. Waiting on good
weather to test it. Has a small converted car engine in it a SH 07 with a Profi .8cc tuned pipe.
Air boats are fun you can wet cut grass and run them in the back yard.

Hope to hit 60 mph Eyebrows

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imag4818

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imag4820

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imag4819

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imag4715

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Nice I like 1/2A boats, 2 weeks ago I finished one with a .07 engine. Waiting on good weather to test it. Has a small converted car engine in it a SH 07 with a Profi .8cc tuned pipe. Air boats are fun you can wet cut grass and run them in the back yard. Hope to hit 60 mph Eyebrows

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imag4820

Wow! 1/2A Nut, that is really sweet, looks fast standing still and excellent workmanship! Cool

OVERLORD wrote:THE PYLON The pylon was cut out from 3mm ply. The fire wall is 5,5mm thick. The tank fits in the rectangular hole. The fuel feed pipe sticks through the fire wall. The parts were epoxied together and epoxied in the frame. I dry mounted tank and engine and the prop should have enough clearance. Next is the bottom planking.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3310

Overlord, that is a really neat looking airboat, build looking good, especially the hotter Cox engine reedie installation, streamlined versus the simpler rectangular Dumas 1/2-A swamp buggy I built in high school almost 50 years ago. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for the encouragements. That's a good looking rigger Brad. Did you make the rudder?

I was and still am busy covering the frame with the bottom panels. The centre part is easy with the grain across. The bottom sides are more difficult to trace first and than to glue in place. The pattern drawn by Vic Smeed fits but on some areas, there's a difference of 0,5 mm to 0,75 mm. I corrected the pattern by adding bits if paper with sticky tape while the pattern was actually on the frames. Glueing of the panel is done in 3 stages because the panels are at the same time twisted and curved wiith the grain running lengthwise. The edge that meets the central bottom panel needs to be beveled with a plane. The port panel is almost completely glued. The front part is the hardest and before fixing that part, I will first cut out the other panel and stick that on just to prevent twisting of the hull.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3413

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3410

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3411

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3414

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3416

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3412

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3415
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Looking great Lieven! Fitting those side-hull pieces is definitely tricky. I remember that from when I built my Dumas DV-10/Short-Stuff.. and that was a die-cut kit. I ended up using some auto-body filler in a few areas, and I too.. needed to even-out some areas with a surface-plane. I'm pretty sure that I applied several coats of auto-body primer; sanding between coats.. and used epoxy-paint for the finish. That model is electric-powered.. but the epoxy-paint would probably be fine with glow-fuel. The entire interior framework was brushed/sealed with epoxy glue. Is there anything in a construction-article regarding sealing the interior of the Hydro-Bat?

Have you considered adding a ballast-hold to the hull; where you've raised the height of the pylon slightly and will be carrying a heavier initial fuel payload, as compared to a Babe Bee? An automotive wheel-balancing weight-strip could fit snugly into a fore-aft channel in the center of the hull and be easily repositioned via a small hatch and needle-nose pliers.. for adjusting how the boat planes-out on the water as well.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Coming along very nicely. I have had the plans for quite a while myself, but have just not gotten to it. One day I might have the chance.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:26 am

roddie wrote:Looking great Lieven! Fitting those side-hull pieces is definitely tricky. I remember that from when I built my Dumas DV-10/Short-Stuff.. and that was a die-cut kit. I ended up using some auto-body filler in a few areas, and I too.. needed to even-out some areas with a surface-plane. I'm pretty sure that I applied several coats of auto-body primer; sanding between coats.. and used epoxy-paint for the finish. That model is electric-powered.. but the epoxy-paint would probably be fine with glow-fuel. The entire interior framework was brushed/sealed with epoxy glue. Is there anything in a construction-article regarding sealing the interior of the Hydro-Bat?

Have you considered adding a ballast-hold to the hull; where you've raised the height of the pylon slightly and will be carrying a heavier initial fuel payload, as compared to a Babe Bee? An automotive wheel-balancing weight-strip could fit snugly into a fore-aft channel in the center of the hull and be easily repositioned via a small hatch and needle-nose pliers.. for adjusting how the boat planes-out on the water as well.

Roddie, what ballast or balancing is concerned, the article says to move the RC batteries more forward or aft in the centre compartiment. I'm not worried about this alleged extra weight. Vic Smeed mentiones it could be powered by a 09 as well. What I will mount is an aluminium strip in the forward edge that will act as a front bumper.

I got the bottom ready but the last bit was the hardest to glue and to keep in place. On one side I had to cut some grooves to help the wood to bend nicely. Also, on that same side I have to fill a narrow gap with a tiny strip of balsa.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3612

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3610

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3613

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3611

Hi New, it's a habit I'm also familiar with. What helps in such a case is when the plans were actually bought. Then I like to see them transformed in a model sooner or later.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:27 am

remembered to change the post title
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Dang that looks good. This is killing me!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Geez yes... looking great Lieven! Love the "pinning".. reminds me of how you formed the "Cauldron's" engine cowling.. and several other builds that you've meticulously mastered. I wasn't aware that that this model was radio-controlled. I thought that it was a "free-runner" or tethered-design.. Shocked I'll admit that I did have some RC ideas to pitch to you though.

Look into the newer-technology receiver-batteries. There's some LiFe packs that are tiny... and would be perfect for this application. Combined with a nano-servo for the rudder... you'd have a micro-weight radio. I'm sure you can locate a feather-weight receiver to do the job.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks guys. Only the batteries have any weight. The small servo is very light and the 2.4 gHz receiver even lighter. Vic Smeed's model had a weight of 8 to 9 Oz. That's 230 to 250g. At this stage, it weights 81g.

For sealing, the article says to dope and cover in tissue the hull, then paint. I was thinking of doping the Inside and outside, then to coat with PU varnish all with sanding in between. I like to finish the model with Oracover.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:09 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Thanks guys. Only the batteries have any weight. The small servo is very light and the 2.4 gHz receiver even lighter. Vic Smeed's model had a weight of 8 to 9 Oz. That's 230 to 250g. At this stage, it weights 81g.

For sealing, the article says to dope and cover in tissue the hull, then paint. I was thinking of doping the Inside and outside, then to coat with PU varnish all with sanding in between. I like to finish the model with Oracover.

You may remember I bought a Hobbico 200mAh 6.6V 1C LiFe receiver battery a few years ago. Its weight is 15gr. It may require a regulator to drop the voltage to a safer 6V though. It's a TINY battery-pack...

See the below photo for a size-reference on the battery..

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Dsc02415

That's 130gr........ along with a Babe Bee engine, x4 nano-servos and 6ch receiver. I'm sure that your model could finish-out at well-under 200gr. and maybe even close to 150gr.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 am

That's a lightweight battery. I have a 1600 mAh battery and that weights about 100g. I had a look at the article again and noticed what I said about the model's weight is not correct. The 8 to 9 oz refers to the total weight of the RC gear. When I pile up the boat, servo, receiver, battery, engine and tank, the weight is at 270g for the moment.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:16 am

Shaping up great Overlord, should be a real treat for you to run! Small Cox Logo

Yes the rudder and turn fin was cut out using metal shears
filed sharp and buffed up to a shine. All ply design / build project.
Will post a vid when the water is calm.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun May 21, 2017 11:33 am

A  small update. I'm working on the rudder and the fin. I decided to use a sheet of stainless steel. For that I bought a paint scraper at the DIY.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp8910

The rudder blade and the fin were cut out with a Dremel tool. For the rudder stock, i used a 2mm push rod with M2 thread on one end, cut to size. This was then silver soldered to the rudder blade. It looks a lot better when cleaned up!!

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3810

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3815

For the tube I used a piece of square carbon tube, epoxied to the transom. The 2mm rudder stock fits in there without play. The fact tht it's square makes it easy to glue and to keep in place.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3813

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3812

To fix the fin, I just cut the bottom hull and inserted the fin with époxy.

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3814

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs Imgp3811

I'm waiting for some M2 nuts to arrive to fix the rudder horn. Then, the deck can be glued on.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Very nice Lieven! You always engineer your models.. I love that! Did you cut a SS rudder horn too? It would be nice to able to braze it on.. but that might distort /melt the carbon tube? Apparently CF tube is resistant to water exposure? If it can be easily-detached from the transom.. and horn brazed, it would be a solid no-slip link. Install a brass flat-washer followed by the M2 nuts first, to establish a bearing. Double-nut the m2's then jig the assembly for brazing the horn on, near the top. A horn need only be a strip approx. 6mm x 25mm (tab) with holes drilled on opposing ends for the shaft and a clevis/pushrod.

If you want to retain the gluing integrity of a square tube to the transom, you could opt to go all brass.. with a round-tube sleeve running inside it.

I'm sure whatever you come up with, will be a functional work of art. It always is!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul_BB Sun May 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Very nice craftmanship, watching with interest. Very Happy
I have also considered building this airboat, or the Swamp Buggy, but finding a place to navigate is not obvious due to the noise. Huh...
Paul_BB
Paul_BB
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next