Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! Cox_ba12

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:26 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 8:21 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 8:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 7:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 6:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 4:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 3:42 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 2:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:34 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 10:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 9:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!!

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! Empty The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!!

Post  Kim Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:21 am

Been having a great summer, and surely not wanting to hurry it along, but it IS time for us to start thinking about the International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon in October!

My Breezy Hill Flyers buds have taken to this event with a bunch of passion, and I'm looking forward to being smack in the middle of their Ringmaster Party.  Our buddy, Leo, is going to try to log as many flights as possible through the day, and we're gonna pit for him:
The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 2017_r10

I'll be posting all my Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon stuff here and all are welcome to do the same if they'd like!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Ringmaster Facebook Page and Website are:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RingmasterFlyAThon/

http://brotherhoodofthering.info/mbbs22/logon.asp

Here's the copy from John's Post:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 2017

The Brotherhood of the Ring is sponsoring its 10th Annual Fly-A-Thon event:
October 7th & 8th, 2017

Matt Kania’s beloved Ringmaster control line model has been built and flown by more modelers than any other control line model airplane!

This is not a contest! No registration is required. There are no entry fees or prizes! This Fly-A-Thon is to honor the most popular CL model ever!! Be part of something big and help make history by having more worldwide Ringmaster flights in a single weekend than last year's record of 3928 flights!
A record 694 different pilots participated!!

This event is open to all participants worldwide!

On October 7th & 8th, we challenge you to fly any one or more of the many varieties of Ringmasters, old or new, and report your flights to: 2017flyathon@ringmasterflyathon.com

Deadline for reporting is 12:00 noon Eastern time (USA) Tuesday October 10th

Any Ringmaster from 1/2A to Giant and all variants in between can be flown.

Please report, how many total Ringmaster flights were made, how many different pilots flew, how many different Ringmasters flew and the location of these flights. Please feel free to include lots of details of your event as we plan to chronicle the Fly-A-Thon for future publication!!! If you get a new pilot to solo on a Ringmaster, that first flight will count as 2 flights!

**A minimum of 5 laps is required to count as an official flight!**

Let's keep the spirit of C/L alive!

Ok everyone! Just dig that old dusty Ringmaster from your attic and go fly it!
The results will be compiled and published by the Brotherhood of the Ring.

All questions should be directed to the primary contact:
2017flyathon@ringmasterflyathon.com
Rain/Wind/Flood/Conflict/etc. makeup weekend is October 14th and 15th

Last edited by Kim on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:50 am; edited 4 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! Empty Re: The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!!

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Kim, last week a club member of mine pulled up in his SUV with kits to the ceiling. Mr. Klaus ( I believe that's how to spell it ) was a designer draftsmen for Sterling for a number of years. He was the designer of the Sterling S1-A the sheeted winged version of the infamous Ringmaster. Mr. Klauss and his wife are moving, he has numerous Sterling kits still in the shrink wrap. He was offering many of the kits he designed and other hard to find kits such as the Jetco Dolphin in a beautiful laser cut version. I suppose he's downsizing to a smaller residence and the kits as much as he loved them had to go. I was fortunate to pick up a Ringmaster Flash which isn't very common. His offering in the Super Ringmaster kits were really cool as he was offering them in r/c and control line for electric. It was really cool to see so many Ringmaster kits from the beginner series on up. Makes you want to build them all. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! Empty Re: The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!!

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:24 pm

I made it to the field today and Steve a fellow modeller was the fellow responsible for going over to pickup the kits from Mr Clauss. Well this was posted on our Facebook page and I find it to be amazing. Pappy Boyington had signed the Corsair kit that he designed. Cool cool stuff. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Not the most elaborate project ever, but got Baby Ringmaster #1 well on the way. It's gonna use a straight-up stock Babe Bee, and hopefully survive enough newbie flights to make building it worthwhile!

#2 will have a backplate/wedge tank set-up.

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 1_16

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 2_17

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 3_15

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:01 am

Nice.
Mine's ready to fly, all except it needs a new control horn on the elevator. The wooden one broke out the hole, but I have some tiny plastic ones.

It's on my calendar. Gonna Ring it out in the church yard. Any of you CEFers wanna come, be my guest!
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:40 am

Looks Good Kim, I still need to finish mine and give it another test flight Test since it caught fire last time i been stalling or something ?? This Site Rocks! Looking back i wish i would have kept the .15 power ring that Brodak sent me by mistake !?!?? for the Jr. Lighting Streak Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Well I got to fly briefly yesterday morning---- and deliberately hauled the Fox 35 powered Ring master s-1 just to get it in shape for the Fly A Thon

Came very close to pranging it....as it ran out of fuel a slight breeze lifted the outboard wing on landing and I was just barely quick enough to whip it around for another half lap

Son and I, as typical for last three years, will spend a Sat or Sun morning flying 3 RMs and then go get breakfast
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 pm

fredvon4 wrote:

Son and I, as typical for last three years, will spend a Sat or Sun morning flying 3 RMs and then go get breakfast

Sounds like a very balanced activity!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:11 pm

Looks great Kim! Small Cox Logo
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:04 pm

xplaneguy wrote:Looks great Kim! Small Cox Logo

Thanks Tony!  Spent most of a morning just 'un-storagefying' my shop---dragging out anything NOT involved with building planes.  
I hope to up that 'average time per week building planes' you'd asked me about !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Well I got to fly briefly yesterday morning---- and deliberately hauled the Fox 35 powered Ring master s-1 just to get it in shape for the Fly A Thon

Came very close to pranging it....as it ran out of fuel a slight breeze lifted  the outboard wing on landing and I was just barely quick enough to whip it around for another half lap

We make a day of it and break for a very hearty lunch. Funny we get less flights in after lunch sleep
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Last year I had three planes ready to go: a Beginner's Ringmaster, a Baby Ringmaster, and a Brodak Electric ARF S-1. Got everything cleaned and tuned up, and the wife went into the hospital the Thursday before the Fly-a-Thon... Heaven forfend, this year nothing will stop me from flying the -Thon.

The Hopeful Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:45 pm

batjac wrote:Last year I had three planes ready to go: a Beginner's Ringmaster, a Baby Ringmaster, and a Brodak Electric ARF S-1.  Got everything cleaned and tuned up, and the wife went into the hospital the Thursday before the Fly-a-Thon...  Heaven forfend, this year nothing will stop me from flying the -Thon.

The Hopeful Mark

Fingers crossed for you ole bud!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Started serious work on my RSM Ringmaster. Got some parts laminated, including a spacer for the wing ribs. Ought to be looking like an airplane in another day.

Both of the Baby Ringmasters are now getting their Brodak clear coats.

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 1_110

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 2_113

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 3_18

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! 4_113
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Looks good Kim should be a fab flyer.

Remember less is more on the elevator inner hole on the BC and long horn. I am sure you already knew that, but it never hurts to be reminded. Fun times ahead!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks good Kim should be a fab flyer.

Remember less is more on the elevator inner hole on the BC and long horn. I am sure you already knew that, but it never hurts to be reminded. Fun times ahead!

Appreciate it Ron...that's what we'll do.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Ok, I'm old and easily confused. What you mean "less is more?"  From my viewpoint using the inner hole of the BC and long horn produces less movement of the control surface. Using the outer hole of the BC gives a longer arc of movement and therefor more deflection.  Unless, you mean less movement gives you more control?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Maybe "less is better" would have made more sense. As you may well know the Ringmaster suffers from stalling when you have too much elevator throw. 20-25 degrees is plenty for the Ringy.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Putting that in my Sterling S1 notes.. Can the same be said for the S5 Jr.? My S5 could possibly fly in time for the IRFAT in October.. (I gotta' strip-off those nose-doublers, install new maple-bearers for the Tee Dee .09.. cut new longer doublers.. repair some covering.. touch-up some paint and count my blessings!)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:42 am

Another Ringmaster note..what tank size would be a good choice if I run a Fox .35? I rebuilt my Super Ringmaster and used a tank that is really too small for it. Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! Empty You

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm

I use a 4 oz wedge. Fits ok, could do a pattern on it. However, if you are building this solely as a flyathon bird then 3oz would be better. You get no points for longer flights, plus it would be less tiring.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:18 pm

roddie wrote:Putting that in my Sterling S1 notes.. Can the same be said for the S5 Jr.? My S5 could possibly fly in time for the IRFAT in October.. (I gotta' strip-off those nose-doublers, install new maple-bearers for the Tee Dee .09.. cut new longer doublers.. repair some covering.. touch-up some paint and count my blessings!)

Yes, all ringmasters. Make it happen!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Take with grain of salt cuz I never fly a full pattern...and I doubt I have ever really timed any flight other then to know if I got it too lean on launch I was turning a lot longer than I wanted to

I got the snub nosed Uniflo from RSM part GRW300U that is 3oz on mine with the Fox 35--- it is 2.25" long and just fits with my aluminum Landing gear--- also from RSM for the RSM Ring Master

He also has similar sized standard vent versions.
Contrary to Ken's good advice, I took a dare and used it right out of the package after a quick shake for rattles (none)

I like RSMs GRW tanks in that, so far, each works for me without opening

I did get two from Brodak and both rattled, so was forced to screw one up re-learning how to open and inspect
Price per tank from either source is about the same

I suspect, if using wire LG, there is room enough for a 3 inch long tank but again just barely...that would get you 4 oz capacity

I also have one plane that has a Sullivan plastic clunk 3.5 oz that was too long so I took some internet advice and mounted it inboard side... in flight looks ugly TO ME...but it was easier to set up and adjust
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I use a 4 oz wedge. Fits ok, could do a pattern on it. However, if you are building this solely as a flyathon bird then 3oz would be better. You get no points for longer flights, plus it would be less tiring.

OK, probably do 4 oz and measure fuel for the Fly-a-Thon. My Super doesn't have enough air-time, but I've resisted cutting it open for a tank change.

Who knows...with my flightyness, there may come a day when I'll want to attempt a full pattern (can almost hear my buddy, Allen B., chuckling away up in Heaven).

THANKS !!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Marleysky wrote:

Ok, I'm old and easily confused. What you mean "less is more?"  From my viewpoint using the inner hole of the BC and long horn produces less movement of the control surface. Using the outer hole of the BC gives a longer arc of movement and therefor more deflection.  Unless, you mean less movement gives you more control?

I'm not sure what your elevator horn length is, but I extended mine so that the pushrod hole was 7/8" out, and that was still too much on my Brodak ARF Ringmaster S-1. I made up another horn that puts the hole at 1" out. Still more than enough. I took a survey of the Ringmasters at the field the last time there were a couple there, and it they were putting the horns with the hole out to 1 1/4". Those elevators are huuuuge.

The Yuge Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next