Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw) Cox_ba12

Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw) Empty
Live on Patrol

Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw)

Go down

Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw) Empty Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw)

Post  layback209 Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Howdy Folks, hoping to bend this forums ear to help answer a dumb question of mine, i did some searching on google and in this forum but did not come up with a clear answer.

I have a few APC 6x3 props that i would like to mount on my 0.049 teedee or blackwidow but the prop mounting hole diameter is too large for the engines prop bolt. Is there some kind of spacer you can make to center it? appreciated any guidance you can provide to me. I seen a photo in this forum of a number of different 6x3 brands and the APC one had what appeared to be a metal spacer (perhaps tube or cone shaped...not sure) to center it. I certainly dont have a lathe to make one...

Cheers,

Derek
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw) Empty Re: Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw)

Post  batjac Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi, Derek. Welcome to the Forum. The easiest way to center it is to use a short piece of small fuel tubing to go over the 5-40 prop screw. the fuel tubing will squeeze and center the prop. There used to be a guy who machined bushings for the APC props to work with the 5-40 screw and sell them on eBay or by email. I have one of his bushings, but he doesn't sell them on eBay anymore. At least, I haven't seen him sell anything for a long time. I don't remember his name.

If someone else knows his name and email address, I'd be eternally grateful. Or at least 'till Christmas...

The Festive Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw) Empty Re: Help mounting a 6x3 apc prop (hole is larger than mounting screw)

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Mark got in ahead of me, but here is the message that I was sending when he chimed in.

A small length of plastic or rubber tubing of the right inner and outer diameters is fine.  As long as the prop is centred then once tightened the bush (tubing) doesn't carry any load anyway.  Even a small piece of heat-shrink tubing will work if you need something real thin.

Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 pm

Mark, I designed the bushing for the prop. I did this for 1/2A combat because changing a prop with a piece of tubing on it was a pain in the rear. I needed something that could be done quickly. I made one here at home and Mike Parkin made them for me. Seeing that he was already selling on Ebay, I told him it was a good idea to sell them. The rough length of rod he needed to begin with was of a special size and he needed to buy a certain length. He purchased the length and I bought the majority of the bushings. What was left were sold. Mike was in the process of a major upgrade of machinery. The jobs he was doing has consumed a lot of his time. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:04 pm

*** SIGH ***

I guess I'll just have to keep careful track of where the one I have is at all times.... Ah, well. Thanks for the info, Ken. And thanks for getting Mike to make the run he did. At least I have plenty of small fuel tubing for the rest of my props. Fuel tube works.

The Resigned Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Hey Mark...I got lucky and actually got a few of the last run of the bushings last time offered

Happy to send you one..just PM

BTW any spacer/bushing need NOT be full Prop hub length...just enough diameter to fit hub and bolt

I find the K&S tubing assortment to have quite a few small length pieces that work ok...in fact more than once I ganged up severl different diameters of tubing to fit the prop bolt and then large enough to center a over reamed prop hub hole
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:36 pm

batjac wrote:*** SIGH ***

I guess I'll just have to keep careful track of where the one I have is at all times.... Ah, well.  Thanks for the info, Ken.  And thanks for getting Mike to make the run he did.  At least I have plenty of small fuel tubing for the rest of my props.  Fuel tube works.

The Resigned Mark

I keep a zip-seal bag of short telescoping alloy tubing bushings to bush my prop-hubs... along with spare varying-length/size prop-screws. I keep that bag with my props. That's one way to keep track so I don't misplace small items.

What you "could do" Mark.. is to thread a small "zip-tie" through the eye of that bushing and zip it closed a few clicks. It's a lot harder to lose something when it's easier to see.. and won't inadvertently roll off a table or bench. Just cut the tie with scissors when you're ready to use it.. and have another new zip-tie ready for when you take it out of service.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:09 pm

The prop shaft holes in the smaller APC props may not be centered or perfectly perpendicular to the hub due to the hand drilling process used after the props come from the mold. The recess in the hub is, however, centered since it is part of the molding process. The bushings mentioned use this recess for centering the prop on the shaft.

APC notes the alignment problem in their technical notes and states the hand drilling that's used after molding.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm

andrew wrote:The prop shaft holes in the smaller APC props may not be centered or perfectly perpendicular to the hub due to the hand drilling process used after the props come from the mold.  The recess in the hub is, however, centered since it is part of the molding process.  The bushings mentioned use this recess for centering the prop on the shaft.

APC notes the alignment problem in their technical notes and states the hand drilling that's used after molding.

Yeah. It's awfully strange that a manufacturer that ships thousands of props a month wouldn't have some sort of simple drilling jig that would center on the molded recess to drill an accurate center hole...

The Jaded Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks for the feedback. I never thought of trying fuel tubing for centering.

I thought it was odd for an manufacturer to supply a prop but not provide an "OEM" bushing/correct hole size to help customers use their product.

Intersting about the center hole being a bit off from factory too I would have never expected that to be a thing either.

The local hobby shop does have a good assortment of k&s tubing as well. Good news Smile. I'll do some testing and see what works best.

layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down