Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_ba12

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:49 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:20 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy

Go down

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Empty Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 am

I have stacks of Cox engines, not as many as some here but a respectable amount.

Never being a serious book study student on all things Cox, I have decided to learn about them with a hands-on approach, much more fun.  So I have laid out parts, complete engines, partially complete engines, and partzers in the hopes of making as many complete (as original factory) as possible.  

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en11

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en12

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en15

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en17

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en14

Starting with these two randomly selected examples I discovered that despite being very similar there are differences.

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en18

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en13

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en22

Both are slit exhaust "product" engines (correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.)  Differences are - different colored back-plates, different attaching screws (slotted/phillips), different reeds (milar/metal), different cylinders (one relieved for the Cox wrench at the top of the cylinder, the other not.  (How do you remove the cylinder on these?)

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en19

Checking out the Cox airplane site I think the engine with the three blade prop and red spinner is from 1963 to 1970 and is pictured on a P-51 Mustang and probably others.  Looks like the other one was used on Cox Sky Jumper and Attack Helicopters.

Next up...........

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Cox_en21
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Empty Re: Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy

Post  SkyStreak Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:10 am

Don't do what I have done by mixing up the different variant parts until you don't know what is what.
SkyStreak
SkyStreak
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Empty Re: Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:19 am

rsv1cox wrote:
different cylinders (one relieved for the Cox wrench at the top of the cylinder, the other not.  (How do you remove the cylinder on these?)

An adjustable leather belt is the easiest option. It also helps to heat up the engine a little bit.

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Img_2015
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:01 pm

SkyStreak wrote:Don't do what I have done by mixing up the different variant parts until you don't know what is what.

I'm afraid that pony has already left the corral. Sad Most of those parts came with other engines.

The wiki site is quite good, but there is another that I have misplaced. Handy for ID'ing what goes with what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_model_engine

Thanks Kris, about the only option on those slit cylinders.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Bob, Regarding the 1st two examples; were the needles the same thread-size? At some point in time.. Cox stopped putting the fine-thread NVA in its' plastic backplates (carbs). I'm pretty sure that all of the square (postage-stamp) backplates had the fine-thread NVA.. but I think that some of the "horseshoe" backplates also had them.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:48 pm

roddie wrote:Hi Bob, Regarding the 1st two examples; were the needles the same thread-size? At some point in time.. Cox stopped putting the fine-thread NVA in its' plastic backplates (carbs). I'm pretty sure that all of the square (postage-stamp) backplates had the fine-thread NVA.. but I think that some of the "horseshoe" backplates also had them.

I have to check on that roddie, and record the results.  I can see that the shaft length is different (probably due to application) but I don't know about TPI.  Looks like the springs are different too.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Looks like a good start to a collection there Bob.

I too use an old leather belt on the slotted cylinders without the top fin milled. Not many are without tool marks on the fins. Not sure what Cox was thinking with no real way to remove a cylinder to be able to reset a piston.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Empty Re:Cox Engines-Trying to make sense of non sense

Post  66 Malibu Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Bob,
What you need to get is a copy of Tim Dannels and Dan Sitters " Cox Model Engine Handbook ".
I recently got a copy, as a birthday present for me to justify the price to a cheap me, and I wish I had done it years ago!!!
You can get it on eBay as you all probably already know.
It will be your guiding light to get your Cox jewels to about 99.5% factory correct.
Due to so many variations of Cox products and probably daily changes if and when assembly line parts may have been depleted there were probably many Cox unknown variations that left the plant.
I know from some unmolested things I have, the Handbook is not 100% correct due to, I believe, they did what ever it took to get products out the door.
However, the intel is by far the best we'll ever see...........
Steve.................
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks Steve, done!

I appreciate the little extra push I needed to finally order one. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 pm

I love the newest Interest Bob , i would like to have one those books but will have to wait ! LOT of variables but it's all in Fun at the end Laughing I love you're clean up s with the enya's and all but ,with these engines to make them perform you will have to go the extra 1/2 A mile This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 am

66 Malibu wrote:Bob,
What you need to get is a copy of Tim Dannels and Dan Sitters " Cox Model Engine Handbook ".
I recently got a copy, as a birthday present for me to justify the price to a cheap me, and I wish I had done it years ago!!!
It will be your guiding light to get your Cox jewels to about 99.5% factory correct.
Due to so many variations of Cox products and probably daily changes if and when assembly line parts may have been depleted there were probably many Cox unknown variations that left the plant.
I know from some unmolested things I have, the Handbook is not 100% correct due to, I believe, they did what ever it took to get products out the door.
Steve.................

Where I can buy this book other than ebay? Do you know any book store address?
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox engines - Trying to make sense of non-sense - Picture heavy Empty RE: Cox Engines-Making sense

Post  66 Malibu Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 am

Levent,
The Cox Model Engine Handbook is published by The Model Museum, The Engine Collectors Journal and Tim Dannels.
Address is :
P.O. Box 243
Buena Vista, CO 81211
(719)395-8421
email- ecj@chaffee.net
You may want to email them to buy the Handbook another way other than eBay.
Hope you get one...The educational value is tremendous.
Steve......................

Levent Suberk wrote:
66 Malibu wrote:Bob,
Steve.................

Where I can buy this book other than ebay? Do you know any book store address?
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:05 am

Thank you Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm

getback wrote:I love the newest Interest Bob , i would like to have one those books but will have to wait ! LOT of variables but it's all in Fun at the end Laughing  I love you're clean up s with the enya's and all but ,with these engines to make them perform you will have to go the extra 1/2 A mile This Site Rocks!

I'm mixing and matching up a storm Eric. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down