Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

? on tank feed will or not Cox_ba12

? on tank feed will or not Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by Ken Cook Today at 5:46 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 5:23 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 5:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

? on tank feed will or not Empty
Live on Patrol

? on tank feed will or not

Go down

? on tank feed will or not Empty ? on tank feed will or not

Post  oldguy Fri May 25, 2018 5:47 pm

T want to know what you think, whether this tank setup will feed or not? Doesn't have a vent, but I thought it might work since I can collapse it before filling. What ya think.   I know I should just go give it a try, and I will, but wanted your thoughts. I'm asking because I see the ballon tanks some of you use don't use a vent.
? on tank feed will or not Dscn0310? on tank feed will or not Dscn0311
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

? on tank feed will or not Empty Re: ? on tank feed will or not

Post  JPvelo Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 pm

I’m not sure a medallion will create enough suction to collapse that.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 pm

It will work but wont pull all the fuel out of the tank, which is fine as this is a control line
project with limited flying time. I would bench test it out of the wing see how much run
time. You can then sort out a way to manage how much fuel you put in the tank for a
comfortable flight time.

Small Cox Logo Memorial Day Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:It will work but wont pull all the fuel out of the tank, which is fine as this is a control line
project with limited flying time. I would bench test it out of the wing see how much run
time. You can then sort out a way to manage how much fuel you put in the tank for a
comfortable flight time.

Small Cox Logo Memorial Day Small Cox Logo

I will test it on the bench, it doesn't need to pull it all out, the tube holds 1 oz.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri May 25, 2018 7:06 pm

You have to vent, or pressurize.
I built tanks for my Mossie that have only two connections. One to the carb, and one from pressure. I disconnect the carb and fill via the pressure line while holding the airplane so the carb Feed is highest. Then I reconnect the carb and set the model right side up on it's landing gear. I hope that makes sense.
I do like your tank...it just needs that vent, or pressure.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 pm

PS...the balloon tanks collapse completely/readily due to atmospheric pressure. Your tank won't.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Fri May 25, 2018 7:12 pm

944_Jim wrote:PS...the balloon tanks collapse completely/readily due to atmospheric pressure. Your tank won't.

I think your correct. I will give it a try and see how much fuel it will pull, if not enough I will add a vent somehow.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri May 25, 2018 8:18 pm

OG,
Since you mentioned a balloon tank and you still have an open bay...maybe you can consider a balloon tank in the bay.

Close in the top and bottom, close in from top spar to bottom spar. Make your top plate removable, say out of oil bottle plastic (flexible, fuel-proof, easily replaced). This is so you can open the bay to service the tank. You could even insert the balloon in your bottle. Just make sure to put a good size hole in the bottle to allow atmospheric pressure in.

You'll need to remove the fuel line from the spray bar to fill the balloon.

944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 am

oldguy wrote:
944_Jim wrote:PS...the balloon tanks collapse completely/readily due to atmospheric pressure. Your tank won't.

I think your correct. I will give it a try and see how much fuel it will pull, if not enough I will add a vent somehow.

Hi Jim, I like the concept of using that squeeze-bottle for an "in-wing" C/L tank.. and had an idea for a vent. It's "quick and dirty".. but might be an easy way to do it.

You would need an aerosol "spray-can tube" (sometimes furnished with spray-lubricants.. and fits into the nozzle for pinpoint spray-application).

Pierce a hole smaller-than the tube into the "underside" of your tank, at its thickest area (close to where the cap screws-on). Push the tube "up" through the hole, until it stops against the top/inner-wall of your bottle. If the tube fits nice and tight.. you may not have to seal around it.

? on tank feed will or not Vent_u10

Snip-off the tube afterward; to a length where it's long enough to protrude out-through a hole in the bottom/wing-sheeting. You can use the plumbing that you already have (with the Tee) to fill the tank with either; the needle "closed".. or the feed-line pinched-off. When the tank is full; fuel will squirt out the tube under the wing.

I like "944_Jim's" idea of a removable plastic/fuel-proof access-plate. Maybe fabricate it for the "bottom".. with a hole for the vent-tube to exit.

Good Luck!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sat May 26, 2018 12:32 pm

944_Jim wrote:OG,
Since you mentioned a balloon tank and you still have an open bay...maybe you can consider a balloon tank in the bay.

Close in the top and bottom,  close in from top spar to bottom spar. Make your top plate removable, say out of oil bottle plastic (flexible, fuel-proof, easily replaced). This is so you can open the bay to service the tank. You could even insert the balloon in your bottle. Just make sure to put a good size hole in the bottle to allow atmospheric pressure in.

You'll need to remove the fuel line from the spray bar to fill the balloon.

Jim a like the idea, I may work on that idea on the side to perfect it, but not on this plane. Thanks for the idea I like it.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 pm

roddie wrote:
oldguy wrote:

Hi Jim, I like the concept of using that squeeze-bottle for an "in-wing" C/L tank.. and had an idea for a vent. It's "quick and dirty".. but might be an easy way to do it.

You would need an aerosol "spray-can tube" (sometimes furnished with spray-lubricants.. and fits into the nozzle for pinpoint spray-application).

Pierce a hole smaller-than the tube into the "underside" of your tank, at its thickest area (close to where the cap screws-on). Push the tube "up" through the hole, until it stops against the top/inner-wall of your bottle. If the tube fits nice and tight.. you may not have to seal around it.  

? on tank feed will or not Vent_u10

Snip-off the tube afterward; to a length where it's long enough to protrude out-through a hole in the bottom/wing-sheeting. You can use the plumbing that you already have (with the Tee) to fill the tank with either; the needle "closed".. or the feed-line pinched-off. When the tank is full; fuel will squirt out the tube under the wing.

I like "944_Jim's" idea of a removable plastic/fuel-proof access-plate. Maybe fabricate it for the "bottom".. with a hole for the vent-tube to exit.

Good Luck!! Thumbs Up

Roddie I was thinking of the same type of vent setup, my question is what type of sealant would work well for sealing the tube if needed? Any ideas?
Thanks
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat May 26, 2018 3:10 pm

I've used E6000 to glue canopies and engine cowls in place. My roughly 25% nitro fuel hasn't caused a "let go" yet.
It may be worth a try for the tank...at this point I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sat May 26, 2018 3:22 pm

944_Jim wrote:I've used E6000 to glue canopies and engine cowls in place. My roughly 25% nitro fuel hasn't caused a "let go" yet.
It may be worth a try for the tank...at this point I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks!

Thanks, maybe that E6000 will stick.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm not sure what would work for that application Jim.. but I would definitely seal-off and "fuel-proof" the tank-bay within the wing. When I say "fuel-proof".. many modelers would offer different methods/materials for doing that. You don't want any fuel-leaks to soak-into your models framework. Be sure to take the necessary steps to avoid that.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun May 27, 2018 8:45 am

The E6000 suggestion was intended for sealing the tank vent.
For fuel proofing the bay I'd thin down some 30 minute epoxy in order to paint the bay.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down