Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_ba12

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Empty
Live on Patrol

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria

Go down

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Empty bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm

I usually bottom fish in the low rent district, but thought I would move up.  Might have gone a little overboard.

All but two were bought pretty cheap, relatively.  All cost more individually than my MG Midget's expenditure of $250.  Not really important, just saying.  

Two of the six are really nice, the rest needed major reworks.  Sort of like when I restored the MG just less pain and no dirty fingernails.  Like the MG, frustrating at times.  

Before I'm though, I hope to have about ten of these, a NIB example is waiting somewhere with my name on it.  Right now there are several on ebay, a couple of nasty ones.  Just what I like.  

If you are a bidder, or would like to be just PM me and I will back-off.  Just mention which one.  These are coming out of the wood work now that it is seen what they will bring and I'm a patient man.  There are plenty to go around.

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me81

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me79

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me80

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Empty Re: bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Wow. Very nice collection. Now if one was to have them all tethered up with each line a foot longer than the next, you could have a race..... Shocked
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Empty Re: bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 pm

pretty cool, looks like fun!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:33 pm

You have been busy Bob... Very Happy

I wanted to own just one. lol!

Someday I’ll get serious and buy one. Probably not 6 lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Those look great! Looks like a lot of time was spent to get them all shined up.

Looks like one is missing a seat. I have a 3D scanner and could scan one in and print a copy.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 am

Nice collection! Like a Lay's potato chip "can't eat just one!"

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks guys.  This comes closest to fulfilling my passion of rebuilding/restoring old cars.  Throwing around transmissions and differentials isn't as easy as it used to be.  These miniature drive-lines are proving to be a reasonable substitute,  besides it's warm in my basement.  

I intend to do a series on these in the future and acquiring multiple examples helps me to understand them better.  You get one and you understand just that one. Even though they are all the same, they are also different suffering modifications by various owners.  

Multiple examples have been my past, witness my Enya model engines.  Also Remington firearms especially the 550 series. I have owned 76 of them at one time and hundreds have passed through my hands.  Didn't stop until I learned everything about them aided by Remington Arms archives.  Then there are MG's, but I digress.

My first Cox Mercedes was old #2 in human elimination parlance the number fit.  It was a dump! Smile  Everything was broken, and I mean everything that could break broke.  When I got it the nose piece was held together by a rusted machine screw drilled through the body.  All the mounting posts and pivot points were smashed.  The tab on the rear suspension that holds the drive-line in place was broken off.  The firewall over the engine had been partially cut away, not a bad thing.  The seat was smashed and held in place by machine screws and nuts used as spaces. Many wheel spokes were broken.  It had the wrong engine.  But, of the six, it's my favorite.  

Thanks to Jason and his 3D printer all the broken posts have been replaced, the hole for the rusty machine screw filled in and the broken hood pivot points repaired.  That and a dozen or so other repairs including a new top end from Matt for the engine.  More later about that.

As received:

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me82

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me84

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me83

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me85

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me86

Repairs:

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me88

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Coc_me12

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me91

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me89

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me90

Now.

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me92

Still my favorite and my runner on May first.  Not static either, it will be doing circles........000000
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 am

It’s good to see those posts worked out for you. Looks like a nice clean fix.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:50 pm

On a quest for something else today ON AMAZON I saw a small form factor 3D printer for $189...Not fast with mm to inches but the photo looked like 4 x 6 bed...inches

https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-Select-Mini-Printer-Assembled/dp/B01FL49VZE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547227198&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=warehouse+deals+open+box&psc=1

Else where on this sit are my musings about a CNC Mill or LASER Cutter...

The HOBBY level options are getting cheaper and the soft ware is getting better.......

Fred...

the dummy still trying to justify a small Metal Lathe and MILL
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:05 pm

WOW Nice collection ther Bob , good thing they never made a MG Small Cox Logo This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

fredvon4 wrote:On a quest for something else today ON AMAZON I saw a small form factor 3D printer for $189...Not fast with mm to inches but the photo looked like 4 x 6 bed...inches

https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-Select-Mini-Printer-Assembled/dp/B01FL49VZE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547227198&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=warehouse+deals+open+box&psc=1

Else where on this sit are my musings about a CNC Mill or LASER Cutter...

The HOBBY level options are getting cheaper and the soft ware is getting better.......

Fred...

the dummy still trying to justify a small Metal Lathe and MILL

That would be an ok printer. For a little more you can double the size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DGV2L8Z/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Nice Line up. One of the nicest engineered models.

Saved from the crusher.
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Something I just noticed is the decals, mainly the numbers. I can see a few different numbers on their sides. Were the numbers randomly installed at the factory, or was a sheet of numbers supplied and the buyer chose their numbers? Or did different numbers mean anything, such as differences between models?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

NEW222 wrote:Something I just noticed is the decals, mainly the numbers. I can see a few different numbers on their sides. Were the numbers randomly installed at the factory, or was a sheet of numbers supplied and the buyer chose their numbers? Or did different numbers mean anything, such as differences between models?

I have questioned the same thing Chancey.  But, after living on the net with these things for several weeks I feel that they were # randomly applied at the factory except this one. Notice the #3 is placed above the needle valve, while there are no other numbers applied and there are two left on the sheet.  Indicates that the #3 was applied by a previous owner.  

Google cox w-196 and check the pictures.  All have numbers applied and all are placed at the same spot on the model.  

This one came with an envelope with a stick on decals for the seat cover plus a sheet with numbers.  

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me94

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me93

bottom fishing at the Waldorf Astoria Cox_me95

But I have yet to see an actual unmolested new in the box example which would tell for sure.

Last edited by rsv1cox on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:27 pm

The numbers came with the kit. Either #3 or #6 which could be #9 and #8. Purchaser would apply. Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Mark Diedrichs wrote:The numbers came with the kit. Either #3 or #6 which could be #9 and #8. Purchaser would apply. Mark

Not doubting your contention Mark, but do you have verification? I'm interested in knowing.

I have read the instructions that came with the model and have found no reference as how or where to apply the decals. Or a mention that decals were included although a "set of stickers" is available for .30 on the parts list. As I mentioned all decals I have seen are placed at the exact same spot.

And yes, I have only seen # 3, 6/9 and 8. The #2 on one of mine has been painted on. The model without any stickers was stripped and polished by a previous owner whom I have been in contact with.

Thanks
Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Great, thanks for clearing that up.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down