Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Cox_ba12

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Empty
Live on Patrol

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car

Go down

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Empty Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:20 am

Some may remember

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Tether13

Arrived missing the shift lever, grill, and fire extinguisher.  Surfing ebay I found a fellow selling all those items, either individually or as a set.  I really didn't need the exhaust (or so I thought) and the set was cheaper than buying each piece.

Good quality, reproductions probably.  Just happy to get them.

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car N_8_me10

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car N_8_me12

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car N_8_me11

Shafts don't fit the holes in the chassis (too small) and the nuts/threads are metric but they work.  Come to discover that the PO had cut the exhaust pipe, so I needed it anyway.  

I would like to use the grill, but to do so I would have to remove the PO added roll cage something I don't want to do.  I may modify the grill to fit.

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car N_8_me13

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Empty Re: Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 am

You could upgrade it with the recent Cox .049 Tee Dee bundled with an RC fuselage front E-Bay. Come up with a new pusher pylon that also houses a fuel tank. Smile
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Empty Re: Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:53 am

You’re too funny Bob. For the life of me I can’t figure out why you want to keep that hideous roll cage and engine pod. The only way to do the grille thing is to cut up the grille. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! You may need to visit the optometrist Very Happy

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 am

lol! lol! lol! To good Ron U know Bob loves fixing old stuff , and i don't think in his heart he could remove the beauty of the PO s recent fixes tongue
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:32 am

Eric, agreed, with such fine workmanship on his real cars got to admit Ron, Bob has a sense of humour. Laughing

In a way it is a quaint reminder of fixes I've done to car and house repairs, undoing what the previous owner did, redoing them in a workman like manner. One motorcycle wiring job I redid looked like it was done by a butcher rather than an auto electrician, very amateurish. Mad
What Bob does with this is of course his business. He may be doing it to give us a reason to "grin and bear". lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks guys, I can't say that I have ever enjoyed responses to any of my posts more than these.

I get away with way too much stuff here, bout time I was taken to task. Smile

Yes, I enjoy restoring those old Cox Mercedes to something resembling their former glory, but none were modded by PO's.

If I remove the PO's engine and roll cage on the Roy Cox it's just another Roy Cox Tether car.

Same philosophy with this little devil:

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Stunt_28

Did I hear something about motorcycle wiring.........I didn't leave this one as found. Smile

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car S-90_010

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 am

Of course I am only messing with Bob, I am sure by now he understands my sense of humor.

It wasn’t hard to talk him out of the rubber bumpers on the Midget... now he just needs to drop the ride height to pre-19741/2
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:44 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Of course I am only messing with Bob, I am sure by now he understands my sense of humor.

It wasn’t hard to talk him out of the rubber bumpers on the Midget... now he just needs to drop the ride height to pre-19741/2

Smile Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:18 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Same philosophy with this little devil:
Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Stunt_28
Actually you weren't too far from Walt's Little Devil, just needed to round the wing tips and go with a slightly different elevator.  Laughing

rsv1cox wrote:Did I hear something about motorcycle wiring.........I didn't leave this one as found.  Smile
Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car S-90_010
Yup, know the feeling. Consolidated all aftermarket accessories wiring to a new 6-fuse block under the 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200-B15 Voyager XII's false tank cover. Didn't want to chase the PO's in line fuses for each single circuit by disassembling the front fairing and tracing his wiring route Mad plus added a few of my own new circuits. Smile

Fuses are for 1) heated grips, 2) Wolo Big Boy horn (semi-tractor rig style air horn Smoking ), 3) trailer lighting module, 4) security alarm, 5) cigarette lighter power socket, 6) battery maintainer/charger.
Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Zg120010
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Very neat George. Looks great.

I just snipped everything back from the main harness and rewired. I was amazed when I switched on and everything worked. Still does.

Some big kid crushing my motorcycle. Smile

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Kits_s10

Fits me fine though.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 pm

I gotta tell you, Bob. Your S-90 looks a LOT better than mine!

I just tore my petcock apart, now to find o'rings, overhaul the electrics, and fix second gear. Maybe I'll put a rollcage over it and push it down the road with a stack of singing Babe Bees!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:43 pm

That is a very nice bike there. I was just going to ask if that was an S-90. I had a blue 65' S-90, grey and red framed 67' CL-70, and a 68' CL-90. Sold them a couple years ago. I still have these though that did not go with them... I bought them for the 68 that I was restoring, but they never made it on the tank. So I kept them as a momento. And I may have another coming....
Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car Hc_210
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:23 pm

That's a well preserved S-90, Bob. I remember you posting earlier of it and restoring it. You don't see many of them nowadays.

I have something a little later, a 1971 Honda CB100 K2. Painted the tank and covers about 15 years ago. Don't have a current photo, just bought new tires, inner tubes and rim strips for it that I need to mount. Also have the 150 cc big bore kit for it. One needs to heat the cylinder to drop the steel sleeve out of it. Then heat to pop the new one in. Haven't done that yet. It will upgrade the 1970 SL125 engine I installed in it 36 years ago, when the old CB100 engine was totally worn out. (Seems that the SL, CL and CB used the same engine.)

Upgrading the Franken Roy Cox Tether car George11

While in college, I took the seat down to a re upholsterer and for around $40 he did the seat in a brown naugahyde that he had.

Still have the small motorcycle white ABS plastic saddle bags that I bought from J.C. Whitney back in the late 1970's, used it to carry my books while attending the University of Hawaii in Honolulu. Also not shown, bought an NOS chrome high sissy bar for it. Planning to repaint the tank, covers and saddle bags in the factory style colour scheme of gold top, white bottom with a white stripe just above the white bottom.
Then I'll have my small moto bagger. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:27 pm

I’ve done several liners George. If you can convince the wife to leave for a day just throw the bare cylinder in the oven at 350 degrees and the liner in the freezer. Assuming everything clean/deburred they drop right in.

If you have a gas grille you can do that as well. The whole job including reassembly should only take 4-5hrs. Maybe longer if you have never torn that engine down before.

4 strokes are easy, 2 strokes are a pain as you have to line up the sleeves with the port holes.

I guess we went off on a tangent... what was this thread about again? Huh...

BTW your CB100 transmission had better road ratios 1-4 and a better 5th gear .82 Although the SL 1-4 was a close ratio box and a 5th of .84

I guess the best of both worlds would be the SL 1-4 and the CB 5th.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I’ve done several liners George. If you can convince the wife to leave for a day just throw the bare cylinder in the oven at 350 degrees and the liner in the freezer. Assuming everything clean/deburred they drop right in.
Ron, I may contact you off-line for details. I've had that kit for over 10 years, but having never done it has been a back burner item. It's of course a 4 stroke.

BTW your CB100 transmission had better road ratios 1-4 and a better 5th gear .82 Although the SL 1-4 was a close ratio box and a 5th of .84. I guess the best of both worlds would be the SL 1-4 and the CB 5th.
Stock CB100 has a 14 tooth front chain sproke and a 40 tooth rear sprocket. About 15 years ago, I picked up a 15 tooth front and a 38 tooth rear.

With the extra power of the SL125 engine, that upgrade in essence dropped the gear ratios, now they are more pleasant. As such, the CB100 was still higher geared because of its small displacement engine (6 cubic inches). The SL125 engine was bored out by a previous owner 1.0mm (0.040 in). Its displacement is 125 cc = 7.6 c.i. Having 27% more displacement, of course it is more powerful. When I drop in the big bore kit, it will be 50% larger displacement than the CB100, which will be a sizeable increase in power.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down