Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Med .09 Intake Throttle Cox_ba12

Med .09 Intake Throttle Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by Ken Cook Today at 7:35 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Med .09 Intake Throttle Empty
Live on Patrol

Med .09 Intake Throttle

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Med .09 Intake Throttle Empty Med .09 Intake Throttle

Post  Tee Bee Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:38 pm

So, I received a couple of Med .09s from a friend at SMALL last summer. I set them aside and haven't paid much attention to them until recently. After looking them over, I was surprised to see that one of them has an intake RC throttle setup. I'm not sure how well it worked or even who made it. Has anyone seen one of these? If it's a homemade job, it was cleanly executed. It doesn't completely block the airflow and I'm getting pretty curious to know how if it has much affect.

Med .09 Intake Throttle Image34
Med .09 Intake Throttle Image32
Med .09 Intake Throttle Image33
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Med .09 Intake Throttle Empty Re: Med .09 Intake Throttle

Post  Tee Bee Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Open up and say aaaaaah!Med .09 Intake Throttle Image38
Med .09 Intake Throttle Image37
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:43 pm

All the images are inverted. Not sure why. Thumbs Down
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Med .09 Intake Throttle Empty RE: Med .09 Intake throttle

Post  66 Malibu Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Troy,
It appears to be the intake throttle portion of a Hiscott throttle/muffler assy.
It appears just opposite of the way the Hiscott unit fits on a Med .049.
I was not aware that Hiscott made such set up for the Med.09.
It could be a one of a kind.
Many here have more knowledge/history that can better answer your question.
FWIW, Steve...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Med .09 Intake Throttle Dscf1211
I think that's part of this from Cox, although the linkage arm looks different.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:35 am

Interesting! Thanks, guys. I wonder if it was effective without the muffler. Will need to do some test runs on it.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:30 am

I think Steve is right i have all sizes of the slide throttle and the arm and throttle bar are not the same + the slider has a hole in the center The .09 is a odd one and hard to get . ck. these pics out info .. https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_3rdparty.htm and then https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_medallions.htm#Medallion%20.049%20R/C Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks. I now see how it works after looking at those pics. The odd of stumbling across the matching muffler are probably very slim. Oh well...
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:08 am

Heck as you said try it the way it is there may bee a reason the muffler was removed ? I have not had the honour of owning one > Would bee interesting to see if it would still throttle ( it should ) But how good is the Q Huh... I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cescoturbo Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:42 pm

coxaddict wrote:Med .09 Intake Throttle Dscf1211
I think that's part of this from Cox, although the linkage arm looks different.

Hi all, i resume this old post because today i received cox throttle control as in pic for my medallion .09, and surprise, it doesn't fit.
inner muffler diameter is 17,6mm , .09 external diameter 18,5mm
checking the reason, i'm looking if in period production cylinders shape was changed, but no good response...anyone has few 0,9medallion pictures to show me? kit is declared for 0,9 and easy to fit ( lol ) but the only way to fit is enlarge diameter, but i wouldn't modify that rare kit.

thanks all
Cescoturbo
Cescoturbo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi CT,

Give me a bit to check my Medallion .09s. I seem to remember one (if not both) have a shiny section at the base of the cylinder(s).
I had assumed they were for throttle rings like in throttled Babe Bees. I do have a decent electronic dial indicator, so getting good measurements will be easy.

Oddly, I bought a regular muffler that won't work. I seem to remember it was a sloppy fit on the cylinder. My muffler is the round disk that encircles the  cylinder, with the black spring band that slides/rotates around the he muffler to expose exhaust ports for a prime, and has a small stinger for an exhaust pipe. Again, just like on early Babe Bees.

If so, we may have an opportunity to trade parts so we both wind up with a working setup. Where are you located?

I'll have that info/pics to you in about two hours.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cescoturbo Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:25 pm

944_Jim wrote:Hi CT,

Give me a bit to check my Medallion .09s. I seem to remember one (if not both) have a shiny section at the base of the cylinder(s).
I had assumed they were for throttle rings like in throttled Babe Bees. I do have a decent electronic dial indicator, so getting good measurements will be easy.

Oddly, I bought a regular muffler that won't work. I seem to remember it was a sloppy fit on the cylinder. My muffler is the round disk that encircles the  cylinder, with the black spring band that slides/rotates around the he muffler to expose exhaust ports for a prime, and has a small stinger for an exhaust pipe. Again, just like on early Babe Bees.

If so, we may have an opportunity to trade parts so we both wind up with a working setup. Where are you located?

Hi thanks for your answer, i'm from Italy Cool i can do now a pair of pictures of my .09 and throttle
Cescoturbo
Cescoturbo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:44 pm

I'm far from an authority on the 09, but I'm pretty sure the earlier models had thin wall cylinders (I have one of these), later ones were thick wall, like the early and later model 049 and 051.  

I know that the muffler/spraybar throttle for the 049 Medallion was made for the thin wall cylinder. I don't know but would guess that the same would apply to the 09 Medallion throttle as well.  

That might be why the engine you have doesn't have the muffler portion Tee Bee, it appears to have a stepped thick wall cylinder, probably not stock on the Medallion.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cescoturbo Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Dave P. wrote:I'm far from an authority on the 09, but I'm pretty sure the earlier models had thin wall cylinders (I have one of these), later ones were thick wall, like the early and later model 049 and 051.  

I know that the muffler/spraybar throttle for the 049 Medallion was made for the thin wall cylinder. I don't know but would guess that the same would apply to the 09 Medallion throttle as well.  

That might be why the engine you have doesn't have the muffler portion Tee Bee, it appears to have a stepped thick wall cylinder, probably not stock on the Medallion.

Hi, thanks, it could be correct...i just done few pictures
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2014
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2016
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2015
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2019
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2017
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2018
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2021
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2022
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2020

Cescoturbo
Cescoturbo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:24 pm

Cescoturbo, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
I've been through this with the Medallion .15.
I bought a muffler throttle and it will only
fit a thin wall cylinder.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi CT,

Thanks for your patience. I have to apologize for retracting the offer for a potential trade. It would cost more to ship piston/cylinder sets back-and-forth internationally than the sets are worth. I do hope the data sets help you identify what you need.

However, I did collect some data for you. Each cylinder data set was made just above the exhaust port, right below the first cooling fin, and at the cylinder base where it touches the block.

Additionally, the muffler was measured for the inside diameter of the top disk, and at the bottom of the body, where the bottom of the cylinder would close off the muffler base.

Silver Cylinder Engine:
Top     18.36 mm
Base   18.36 mm
I call this a parallel ground cylinder, and suspect it could be used with an exhaust restricter throttle (like Babe Bees).

Black Cylinder Engine:
Top     18.50 mm
Base   18.50 mm
I call this a parallel ground cylinder, just like above.

Cylinder Only:
Top      17.54 mm
Bottom 19.04 mm
Since your muffler splits across the cylinder, this cylinder seems to be a likely candidate for you.
This cylinder is stepped-ground with a difference of 1.5 mm from top grind to base grind. Because the bottom is wider, I doubt it was made for an exhaust throttle or factory muffler like mine.

Muffler Top Plate hole:
18.41 mm
Muffler Body Base hole:
18.91 mm
The top plate would fit only the top-most cylinder (silver), but the muffler body would be loose around the cylinder base. The top plate is just a bit too small to fit into the black cylindered engine. Neither piece will fit in the bare cylinder listed last.

Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_2211
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cescoturbo Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks for your patience. I have to apologize for retracting the offer for a potential trade. It would cost more to ship piston/cylinder sets back-and-forth internationally than the sets are worth. I do hope the data sets help you identify what you need.
not real, small package fly fast and cheap, part of my cox collections and spare parts come from usa, if package is less than 50dollars also duty taxes vanish. so please, let's me know if something could be interesting. here in italy vintage engines are starting a new era.
944_Jim wrote:
However, I did collect some data for you. Each cylinder data set was made just above the exhaust port, right below the first cooling fin, and at the cylinder base where it touches the block.

Additionally, the muffler was measured for the inside diameter of the top disk, and at the bottom of the body, where the bottom of the cylinder would close off the muffler base.

Silver Cylinder Engine:
Top     18.36 mm
Base   18.36 mm
I call this a parallel ground cylinder, and suspect it could be used with an exhaust restricter throttle (like Babe Bees).

Black Cylinder Engine:
Top     18.50 mm
Base   18.50 mm
I call this a parallel ground cylinder, just like above.

Cylinder Only:
Top      17.54 mm
Bottom 19.04 mm
Since your muffler splits across the cylinder, this cylinder seems to be a likely candidate for you.
This cylinder is stepped-ground with a difference of 1.5 mm from top grind to base grind. Because the bottom is wider, I doubt it was made for an exhaust throttle or factory muffler like mine.

Muffler Top Plate hole:
18.41 mm
Muffler Body Base hole:
18.91 mm
The top plate would fit only the top-most cylinder (silver), but the muffler body would be loose around the cylinder base. The top plate is just a bit too small to fit into the black cylindered engine. Neither piece will fit in the bare cylinder listed last.

my muffler has same inner diameter top and bottom, so i guess wall has to be parallel cyl....i'm thinking my medallion has very low value, i could put cylinder on lathe and do a pair of groove with righ diameter, so muffler one time fitted, could rotate only and not goes un and down
Cescoturbo
Cescoturbo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:36 pm

RC Plane
Cescoturbo wrote:

Hi thanks for your answer, i'm from Italy Cool i can do now a pair of pictures of my .09 and throttle

Hi: I am happydad from the US and I think I have one of the muffler-throttle assemblies you are talking about in my cox box somewhere. It was supposed to be for. .049, but was too large. I will try to find it tomorrow and measure the inner diameter of the muffler and post the pictures for you so you have more information.
Happydad
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cescoturbo Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:51 am

happydad wrote: RC Plane
Cescoturbo wrote:

Hi: I am happydad from the US and I think I have one of the muffler-throttle assemblies you are talking about in my cox box somewhere. It was supposed to be for. .049, but was too large. I will try to find it tomorrow and measure the inner diameter of the muffler and post the pictures for you so you have more information.
Happydad
Hi thanks for your help, i'll wait your news
Cescoturbo
Cescoturbo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Med .09 Intake Throttle Empty medallion .15?

Post  happydad Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 pm

dckrsn wrote:Cescoturbo, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
I've been through this with the Medallion .15.
I bought a muffler throttle and it will only
fit a thin wall cylinder.
Bob

Bob: do you still have the measurements for the Medallion .15 muffler-throttle?
I quickly measured the one i have and the inside measurement was 20.7mm.
More after i get home and take pictures and post them.
happydad
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Med .09 Intake Throttle Empty medallion .15? .09? muffler-throttle

Post  happydad Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Cescoturbo wrote:
happydad wrote: RC Plane
Cescoturbo wrote:

Happydad
Hi thanks for your help, i'll wait your news

i found the item, but didn't have time for photos. More later. happydad
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:29 pm

happydad wrote:
happydad
Happydad, close enough.
Bob
Med .09 Intake Throttle 20200210
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Med .09 Intake Throttle Empty looks like mine is a medallion .15 too

Post  happydad Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:41 pm

dckrsn wrote:
happydad wrote:
happydad
Happydad, close enough.
Bob

so it appears mine is a medallion .15 muffler-throttle.  see pics of all parts. since i have no medallion .15 engine, please pm me if you are interested. all parts will me shown.

overall pic.
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0911

measurement of moving throttle part in mm.
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0912

measurement of bottom side of muffler
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0913

measurement of top side of muffler.
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0914. CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE

please pm me for further info.  happydad. RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cescoturbo Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:49 pm

happydad wrote:
dckrsn wrote:
happydad wrote:
happydad
Happydad, close enough.
Bob

so it appears mine is a medallion .15 muffler-throttle.  see pics of all parts. since i have no medallion .15 engine, please pm me if you are interested. all parts will me shown.

overall pic.
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0911

measurement of moving throttle part in mm.
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0912

measurement of bottom side of muffler
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0913

measurement of top side of muffler.
Med .09 Intake Throttle Img_0914. CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE

please pm me for further info.  happydad. RC Plane

i'm waiting this
Med .09 Intake Throttle 84483410
it could fit Laughing Laughing
Cescoturbo
Cescoturbo
Bronze Member