Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Engine Running Evening Cox_ba12

Engine Running Evening Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Engine Running Evening Empty
Live on Patrol

Engine Running Evening

Go down

Engine Running Evening Empty Engine Running Evening

Post  NEW222 Wed May 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Well, today I had a chance to play with and run a couple of my OK Cub engines. I ran an .049 with back mount, .074, and .099. Started with the .074. It is low in compression and was giving me starting fits, so out came the electric finger.... Took a few tries to get it to fire. But when it did, it ran poorly. SO I swapped the needle for that of the .049. Turned it out 3 turns, primed it in the exhaust port, hit it with the starter and it ran steady. I am going to say as well as one would wih that kind of compression. It seemed like it is not a big powerhouse, but it ran. Also to note, this one had a 7 x 4 yellow Tornado propeller, so things may have been different if I downsized it to a 6 x 3. From there I mounted up the .049. I put its needle back into it, filled the tank, primed it and tried flipping it. It had good compression. However, it started, but low power, and just blubbered slowly like it was trying to run in reverse. So again, I used teh starter, and it fired right up on 3 turns of the needle. It was wearing a DAL Prop 5045. So it fired up strong with a good high pitch, then sounded a bit rich. So I tried turning the needle in slowly. Did not seem to do much, but it was a good steady run. That is when I went to turn th eneedle in a bit more, but to my amazement, the needle was all the way in, and it was running. So I stopped it. I primed it, and hit it with the starter with the needle fully closed. Fired right up and ran as it did before stopping. Immediately after, I mounted teh .099. Again, not a powerhouse, but a good steady running engine. Had a fun cool evening outside. These things sure do put out quite the oily mess.... So, I will be looking for a new needle to use in the .049 and .074 engines. I have one more Cub to try this weekend with a Wen Mac, if it is decent out. I will updat this as it comes along. In the pictures, the yellow prop arc is teh .074, and the green is the .049.
Engine Running Evening 59549010
Engine Running Evening 57449510
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Engine Running Evening Empty Re: Engine Running Evening

Post  Oldenginerod Thu May 02, 2019 4:40 am

Well done. Sometimes it's good just to run something a little different just to prove it will run. Who cares how much power it has? It's just creating noise, wind and smoke, not flying a plane.

Yes, those Cub needles can be a problem. I've experienced the same needle issue. Some say to file a finer taper on the needle, but it allows the needle to screw in further, causing the thimble to bottom out. I cut about 1/8" off the bottom of one thimble so I could actually screw it in far enough to lean it out.

As for the props, go a little smaller. These engines like to run free rather than work hard. Let 'em scream.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 02, 2019 6:19 am

Two for two Chancy, I was none for four yesterday, or was it five. Lost my touch.

What fuel were you using? Glow plugs?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 02, 2019 6:58 am

Fuel was Morgans Sidewinder fuel, 20% I believe, with added castor to bump it up to 22% oil overall. I mixed it up a couple of years ago, so cannot remember exactly how much castor I added. And as for glow plug, I picked up some used glow plugs, and it was one of them, so I cannot honestly answer that.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 02, 2019 6:58 am

And thanks for the compliments.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 am

Good to see you are able to get out and have some fun / knowing your weather is still cool ! I need to make an adaptor for my starter so it will start 1/2 A or build one buy one .. My finger flipping just don't do as good as use too . Laughing Last time i tried the Jim Walker .049 bought done me in No
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 am

Actually, I just use my big starter with the factory white cone reversed. Put it up flush against the prop and around the screw or nut. Just a light touch and away it goes. My small one was still out of service yesterday. Also, my small one does not accommodate engines without a spinner.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 am

I have a few new OK Cubs and a couple would no go at all. Could be the needle from what I recall it doing. (not doing) I have inserted heater hose and various sized tubing into old starter cones and glued them with rubber cement to neck down to something more manageable for .049s and really all my motors. I only use acorn nuts even on the bigger stuff.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down