Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by gkamysz Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is...

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 3 Empty Re: Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is...

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 am

Small Cox Logo  Wow that was fun Congratulations GUS!!!!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

GUS THE I.A.
High = 257 minutes
Low = 223 minutes

Per vid: time was 3 hours and 45 mins. / 225 mins.
I missed it by 15 minutes!! Babe Bee .049

Thank you Mark, CEF and the Sponsors for making this happen!

225 mins run time from 32 oz of fuel that is a average of 7 minutes and 3 seconds per ounce!

This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum! Old Bugger Popcorn

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:41 am; edited 5 times in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 3 Empty Re: Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is...

Post  KariFS Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:45 am

Congrats Gus!

I was WAY off with my guesses, I figured the engine would run at least twice or 3x longer.

Looks like a product engine is quite a bit more thirsty than a Babe Bee (that I used as a starting point for my calculations), as a Babe would run for just a little over a minute with that average consumption.

Thank You Mark, Rene and Bernie for making this happen Thumbs Up
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:58 am

cheers Congratulations Gus! Beer Cheers

I also want to thank Mark (batjac), Mark Diedrichs, Rene (Marleysky), Bernie (Cox International), and everyone who tossed in a guess. This was interesting!  
Popcorn

3 hours and 45 minutes of continuous screaming!  Affraid or WOW!  Mark, I bet you can still hear it ringing in your ears!

I somewhat figured my guess based on a Golden Bee's 2.5 - 3 mins average runtime on an 8cc tank.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:09 am

Congratulations Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:17 am

Since I don't know the characteristics of a product engine cylinder, so I estimated my guess for a tanked Bee engine and also didn't consider % 35 nitro fuel. I missed it by 23 minutes Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:48 am

Wow Congratulations Gus the IA !?!! That was Cool !! Thanks Mark, Rene and Cox International and of coarse Jacob ! If not for him we could not come together for this event . Enjoy the engine Gus = tell us how U did it . Very Happy cheers cheers sunny Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

A big thanks to all involved . That was fun and interesting as well .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

How much NV fiddling during the entire run?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 3 20150612
Way to go Gus!!!! Major Kudos to all who made this happen!!! Thanks for being here CEF!!! Mark Small Cox Logo I Love This Forum!
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:49 am

I missed it by 8 minutes. Fun contest, great win gus.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:16 am

WOW!  FAR OUT!  THANK YOU!
Without such dedicated modelers that are present in COX ENGINE FORUM.COM, activities that are dreamed - up, and implemented, to promote fun and fellowship with the little engines, our world would be a lot quieter place! Ha ha! Seriously, the group here, brings out the best of the modeling world!
To be able to pop in, and discuss our latest concerns about our engines, and activities, shows just how close we are, and what we have in common.

HUGE THANK YOU to CEF, batjac (Mark), and COX INTERNATIONAL - Bernie, and RENE - Marleysky. And I cannot forget everyone who guessed incorrectly. (come on, I'm kidding)

Now - how did I do it? Do you remember the Flight Time Contest, which was held from June, 2013 to June, 2014? I retained the records for my flying of the TD .051, and each flight was made with a certain amount of fuel on board. Therefore, I knew how long my engine would run on a certain amount of fuel, because timing ceased when the engine quit, not when the flight ended. SO... it was a guess! An .051 TD probably consumes fuel at a different rate than a Reed Valve engine, so, I got lucky!

Last edited by GUS THE I.A. on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling stuff)
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 am

Congrats on the win. My low time guess was around 12 minutes off. It was inside my high/low. I just went by the Norvel consumption rate of 8.25? min/oz and figured a smaller motor would be a bit less, and a smaller carb too. I think the reed makes it a bit less efficient, or the Norvel rating is just a guesstimate. I also am wondering if the needle valve needed resetting during the run. It is kind of the standard thing on the reedies, with the tanks anyway.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Congratulations Doug! It was fun; checking-in on this thread, to compare the guesses.. and read the banter. I'm thankful that we have this place of retreat in our forum. There's always something happening that makes it well-worth logging-in daily!

I Love This Forum! Small Cox Logo
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:25 am

1/2A Nut wrote:3 hours and 45 mins for 32 oz of fuel that is a average of 7 mins and 3.125 seconds per ounce!

Knowing the run time, the nitro and methanol content, prop and rpm, we could get a decent efficiency number on this motor?
Any takers doing the math?

I am guessing 10% efficient,,,

EDIT: I started a new thread for this topic:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13246-0-049-reed-motor-efficiency#170415
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Gus, the engine is on its way!

I knew the engine wasn’t going to run as long on an ounce as I’m used to on my other engines.  I was figuring on about 6 ½ minutes per ounce.  So just over 7 minutes isn’t too far off of my initial predictions.

Remember, there were several things subtracting from the engine run time:
1) Higher nitro content
2) Hot, muggy air
3) Cam spring starter dragging on the crank
4) Stiff prop that doesn’t flex and de-pitch
5) Running on test stand so it doesn’t unload in the air
6) Tuned rich of peak
7) Sitting on a test stand getting heat soaked
8 ) Sub-par component tolerances in Estes produced components vs. genuine L.M.Cox engines (No reflection on Bernie)

Well, I don’t know about Y’all, but I had fun with this.  In fact, I was thinking that I would like to do this again with a .020 reedie engine.  Obviously, a quart would be much too long for a .020 engine.  But Cox did sell fuel in a ½ Pint can.  I wonder how long a .020 will run on a half pint?  Hmm….

Again, that’s an American pint.  If it’s a UK pint, it’d run all week, remembering the bottomless pint glasses from my Navy days across the pond….

The ‘Murican Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Mark Diedrichs wrote:Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 3 20150612
Way to go Gus!!!! Major Kudos to all who made this happen!!! Thanks for being here CEF!!! Mark Small Cox Logo I Love This Forum!
Hi, Biscus!
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Almost 4 hours is impressive, I came across a electric wing doing 100 mile round trip on one charge, it was a 4 hour flight at 25mph avg with 1.75A avg on a 4S-7000 pack. I only bring this up as its roughly the same time as the 32oz reedy run.

32oz of fuel is ~1000g ~$10. 18650 x8 ~400g ~$40

Of course the reedy is wide open, where the bldc is ~40% thro, more info here on the 100 mile flight over the ocean.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=41483297&postcount=2058

It would be interesting to see the max distance 32oz of fuel could go. The z84 auw was ~600g, nitro might be ~1400g at take off.
Or make a challenge: Max distance on X oz of fuel.

Feel free to delete this post, no hard feelings.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:53 pm

To each his own

I would never buy an electric car and my current diesel will probably remain my last one..but no hard feelings towards Tesla fans... Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3