Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ Cox_ba12

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ Empty
Live on Patrol

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............

Go down

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ Empty Re: This one flew my way last night well under the radar............

Post  David S Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 am

Nice I too have a P40 in the box that was never flown!

David S
David S
David S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ Empty Re: This one flew my way last night well under the radar............

Post  OhBee Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:33 am

Now all you need is the tan spinner and 3 blade prop!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 am

That’s a great buy Bob! Super deal on the shipping. I found P 40 stamped cylinder, still had the mud caked in the fins where it landed!

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ 3514ed10

There’s nothing like the thrill of getting a good deal on a small engine, train or plane! lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:28 am

Amazing that such a rare engine went for that price. Probably got little notice because Cox wasn't in the headline. Seller wasn't a model guy. Mark found it on ebay just by putting in "Thimble Drome" and P-40. Timely as the flea market P-40 didn't have one.

It will do nicely to fill this hole.

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P1010184

Just for fun I tried some engines, 8cc won't do of course, and I thought maybe I could fit a Space Bug Jr. in the firewalls intake hole but no go, the hole is to small. Notice there is a baffle under the intakes hole, prevents installing the engine upside down, not that that would ever happen but I tried it just to see.

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P1010185

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P1010186

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks for posting that picture Rene, I have been wondering how that P-40 stamping looked.

CB's thread from a couple of years ago:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6703-coxp-40-warhawk-flying-tiger

I lightened it up a little.  Read the text in the ad.

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P-40_e10
This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P-40_a10

It is powered by a Super Bee Thimble-Drome engine which was made especially for this plane and cannot be purchased otherwise.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:28 pm

Got the engine today.  Looks like a standard thin wall only with P 40 stamped on the cylinder and a high compression head.

P 40 stamp (no dash) is in a slightly irregular line of letter and numbers.  Locked up tight with traces of glue and paint.  It will get a A/F pot boil before I even loosen a screw.  Will attempt to run it just to see if it gets a grand or two over a standard engine.  I have the spinner and many three bladed props to choose from.  Then the cleaned up engine gets attached and set aside to grow old.

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P8240016
This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P8240015
This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P8240014

This plane has either been ground ran or flown, no damage but lot's of hot castor traces.  The warnings may just be hype if it was flown as the landing gear and wheels are perfect.  Or maybe someone flew it that had prior experience.  

Box and plane cleaned up well.  Windex/soft rag for the plane, Elmers and wide masking tape to reattach the broken off side, didn't want to do it, but the only way to get that flap back on to stay.

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P8240020
This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P8240022
This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ P8240021
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Nice that you got it, and can't wait to see it all cleaned up again. Also, very nice job on cleaning up the plane and box repairs too!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:10 am

NEW222 wrote:Nice that you got it, and can't wait to see it all cleaned up again. Also, very nice job on cleaning up the plane and box repairs too!

Put it in the pot this morning Chancey, another couple of hours to go before I retrieve it and clean it up.

Mark has been after me to post pictures of the receipt that dates it at January 1960.  Looks like he put .99 cents down on it to hold it.  Also receipt for a Cox Cub was in the box too.  1959.  Buyer must have bought a P-38, didn't like it and traded it in for the Cub and got a rebate.

This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ Scan_225
This one flew my way last night well under the radar............ Scan_226
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:05 am

Bob, I know exactly where that town is located. My mother lived on the other side of the river about 20 min west of there. I find it quite shocking actually as the town itself just discovered the wheel and fire somewhere in the 1980's. That would've been a great expense at that time. On my way to her house just prior to Dauphin, I recall a produce stand that stood at the roadside, watermelons, peaches, ammunition. I loved it. In addition, in the middle of the Susquehanna river stands which I believe atop of a old abandoned rail road pier is a miniature Statue of Liberty as soon as you enter Dauphin.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:26 pm

It's a small world Ken.

Nicer one back then too.  Read the lines just above "Received by".

Proximo and should.

Not - Payable by the 10th or we will see you in court.

And  "should" not "must."
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:37 am

So 12- 28- 59 Ed returned a P38 and few days later 1-15-60 bought a P 40....cool
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:17 pm

fredvon4 wrote:So 12- 28- 59  Ed returned a P38  and few days later 1-15-60 bought a P 40....cool

Not cool Fred.  All this fellows taste was in his mouth.

Actually he traded (returned on the invoice) in the P-38 for a Cub.  What? A P-38 for a Cox Cub.  Very uncool. My P-38 prejudice is showing.  Smile

Then after he crashed/smashed the Cub he regained some sense, returned to the store and bought a P-40.  I think the shops mainline was auto repair.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

not my best expression of good deal, fair trade, or sensical down/upgrade.....cool that you have the history of this guy's (dummy?) purchases....
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:24 pm

fredvon4 wrote:not my best expression of good deal, fair trade, or sensical down/upgrade.....cool that you have the history of this guy's (dummy?) purchases....

Smile Smile

The cool thing is the receipt dates this early P-40 to the 1959/60 era. Gives pretty certain provenance of the piece.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down