Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Cox_ba12

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Empty
Live on Patrol

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs

Go down

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Empty The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs

Post  Kim Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:53 pm

Got the O&R .049 on a stand this morning and had it running after a little fiddling around.

I had to use a hair dryer to heat-soak the venturi area to free the needle valve and the unseen reed valve. It's mixture setting/RPM wandered around for a while (probably as old chunks of goop were breaking loose inside), before finally settling into a fairly steady run.

It's no power house, turning a 5-3 gray at around 10-12K, but the old dog is still running strong enough to drag a 2-channel plane around the sky.

https://youtu.be/ecWNT2r61zU

Last edited by Kim on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Empty Re: The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs

Post  smooth_bill Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:44 am

Nice video Kim. Thanks for posting.

I've been watching for a nice O&R .049 (at the right price), but no one is giving them away these days.

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Empty Re: The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs

Post  Kim Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:56 am

smooth_bill wrote:Nice video Kim. Thanks for posting.

I've been watching for a nice O&R .049 (at the right price), but no one is giving them away these days.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Yeah, I'd not known about them before stumbling across this one on Ebay. Seems there was a flurry of .049 brands through the 1950's & 60's, as listed in the old "America's Hobby Center" ads in my old magazines.

"Boys and their Old Toys"!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:21 am

Seen to run pretty good Kim , i like the look of it / without the tank is even better lol! Do you know what the weight is off hand ,, No big deal just asking . Trolls
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:56 am

getback wrote:Seen to run pretty good Kim , i like the look of it / without the tank is even better lol! Do you know what the weight is off hand ,, No big deal just asking . Trolls

Eric!
Thank you...and you made me wonder about it's weight, so I threw it on my little scale: With no prop, it weighs 1.6 oz
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:09 pm

Neat Kim,

I’ve always liked those little O&R’s. They look well made and that little brass badge on the cylinder is too cool!

Thanks for sharing.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Neat Kim,

I’ve always liked those little O&R’s. They look well made and that little brass badge on the cylinder is too cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ron !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:21 am

I found pictures of mine for your comparison Kim. Looks the same.

I cleaned it up a bit but haven't ran it.

O&R and friend:

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Or_wm_11
The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Or_wm_10
The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Or_wm_12
The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Or_wm_13

Love the emblem, looks like it should adorn a motorcycle.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:40 am

I know it's off topic, but I have O&R .19, .23, .33 glow engines. No original boxes but the engines have little time on them. Unfortunately, they're not engines known for longevity so I just run them on the dedicated props and enjoy them. I just love the way they start. Every now and then, they offer a nice backfire but they run steady. A bit anemic for my style flying but they're just plain out neat old engines. I run them as rich as I can and they smoke like crazy and many wonder why I just stare at it on the stand. I just enjoy it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:10 am

Ken Cook wrote:            I know it's off topic, but I have  O&R .19, .23, .33 glow engines. No original boxes but the engines have little time on them. Unfortunately, they're not engines known for longevity so I just run them on the dedicated props and enjoy them. I just love the way they start. Every now and then, they offer a nice backfire but they run steady. A bit anemic for my style flying but they're just plain out neat old engines. I run them as rich as I can and they smoke like crazy and many wonder why I just stare at it on the stand. I just enjoy it.

I agree, I do just enjoy it (running engines) sorta like Been there, Done that, but it is Still here, Still Doing it! I think I may have caught it, as a youngster, from my late Uncle, who had a small collection of those “hit and miss” engines, and would fire one up just so we could watch it spin it’s flywheel, Boom,chika,chika,boomchicka,chicka...boom.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Empty RE: The little Ohlsson & Rice .049 runs

Post  66 Malibu Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:18 am

Coincidentally,
Yesterday,I got another nice low time O&R engine in a box of glow engines our local flying club didn't know what to do with.
The O&R is physically smaller than my mint O&R .29 but other than the O&R logo and a serial number no other displacement marking is visible and it's so clean you can tell nothing was ever ground off.
Without hijacking this thread, how can I tell if this engine is a .19 as I suspect or a .23 ?
It has been run recently ( meaning in the last 20 years ) and will run again soon when time allows.
Thanks in advance, Steve
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:51 am

Ain't no hijacking occurs here...just maybe the occasional copyright violation...

Don't know if this will help, but:
The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Scan10
The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Scan210

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Empty RE: The little Ohlsson & Rice .049 runs

Post  66 Malibu Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:03 am

Wow Kim !!
Thanks for the info !!
The cadmium plated cap over the timer slot is the dead giveaway that this is a Standard .23 from 1949.
Many thanks, Steve
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:09 am

Many times the displacement is directly behind the venturi stack and almost impossible to determine without front case removal. I highly recommend removal if a engine hasn't been run due to the O&R using a thrust like flat plate bearing. These will get gummed up and if not freed up, the entire assembly will spin more than likely causing metal disintegration. Anytime I have a older engine with bearings, I insure they rotate freely by using heat followed by a solvent wash. The cylinder assemblies are not removable on the larger engines. They're spot welded on. In addition, the larger .19 on up use a spring like cage within the venturi stack which the spraybar passes through, this must be in place for proper fuel draw. I see them missing many times. The O&R spraybars are somewhat difficult to source due to their small diameter. The closest aftermarket assemblies I have found were the old Austin Craft assemblies.

Kim did you have your .049 apart? I have never seen the complete internals of this particular engine. One of our members has one new in the box he offered to me at the same current exchange rate as a ounce of gold so I passed. I don't think anyone will be beating down his door for it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:01 pm

Ken Cook wrote:
          Kim did you have your .049 apart? I have never seen the complete internals of this particular engine. One of our members has one new in the box he offered to me at the same current exchange rate as a ounce of gold so I passed. I don't think anyone will be beating down his door for it.

No, I didn't have the faith in myself to take it apart, though I DID want a look at it's reed.  I heated the engine up with a hairdryer, and was highly relieved when the reed broke loose and allowed the engine to run.  Sorta just hoping it'll hang in there for some flying.

If anyone has a break-down drawing of it, I'd sure like to have a scan!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:44 pm

It can’t be that hard to break down. It’s just a handful of parts!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  66 Malibu Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks Ken for the info !!
I see what you mean about the spot behind the venture that probably has the displacement markings.
Also, inside the venture, the small spring and 2 spacers are intact and all look mint and not discolored.
I thought about removing the front cover about 2 seconds and then I decided that I'll thoroughly solvent clean the engine inside and out and not disturb the front cover gasket that might be impossible to find.
It has some gum but the bearings turn very smoothly so I'll tell myself it is a .23 in extremely good condition after 70 years !
Thanks again , Steve...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Steve, I now what you mean about trying to replace old gaskets. One method I have used which works a good percentage of the time for is this. I use Marvel air tool oil, I go around the perimeter of the gasket and allow it to soak . I then leave it for a hour or two and then when I return, I put more onto it and begin heating it with a heat gun. I keep the gun moving and not concentrating on one spot I heat until the oil begins to smoke. At that point obviously with all screws removed, I twist rather than pull and usually the assembly comes right apart and that 70 yr old gasket is still intact enough for reuse.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:40 pm

The O&R .049 has to have been the most expensive ever to mass produce engine in the 1/2A class. It is a curious looking marvel of engineering and something on it surely has to be retightened after every run--sort of like an MG Midget. That said, I'm always on the prowl to add one to my collection.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  66 Malibu Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:30 pm

Ken,
Another gem of knowledge about using the MMO Air Tool oil to make the gasket pliable by osmosis that I would have never thought of.
I think that I will treat the .23 with careful cleaning and then if I find an issue trying to run it I'll certainly use your idea.
Given the exhaust port size I'll have to time starting it because of the noise when the neighbors are away at work probably using some 10% fuel.
BTW, I try to learn as much as I can everyday, therefore I read and re-read your posts and I always gain a lot from your experiences.
All this, while many old friends of mine have moved on in life to concentrating on cheap beer and lottery tickets !!
Thank You...……….
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:34 am

I don't own any O&R engines but this thread has got me a darn good laugh this morning , and Ken talking about watching them run and the backfire popping and Rene with the Hit-Miss engines and there nosie LOL . We have get togethers and festivals for them old runners / around here they will havem hooked to cotton candy machines and they are something to watch / crank and running . I can relate to watching small engines run (since i repaired them for 30 or so years. ) It used to get me watching some engines that just should not bee running doing there thing one more time ! Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Little Ohlsson & Rice .049 Runs Empty Ohlsson and Rice "Mite" .049 for sale

Post  keyserman Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:05 pm

I'm just trying to contact Sooth_Bill as he mentioned he was interested in the little 049. I have one I'm going to sell.
keyserman
keyserman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down