Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Today at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Today at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Today at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 5:13 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by gkamysz Today at 4:41 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Empty Re: Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price.

Post  sosam117 Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:24 pm

944_Jim wrote:Sosam,

Surely the magic cleaning solution doesn't get the aluminum/ brass new-looking clean...right?

What do you do to make them look new after cleaning?

I do my CB1100F/S-90/Outdoor power equipment as needed. As much as I get rid of grime, the pieces still look "old."

Your stuff looks new!

944_Jim,
For the aluminum -- nothing.
I just place the aluminum parts into the ultrasonic cleaner with the ultrasonic solution at 12% and let it clean for 20 minutes.
That's it. I don't do anything else to the aluminum.
For the brass. I use a Dremel cleaning/polishing kit (20pcs.).
I use the wire brush in the kit (soft steel and not stainless -- the wire wheel breaks down easy) to brush the oxide off the brass and if I want a little more sparkle I use one of the buffing wheels in the kit.
The other thing I like in the kit is, it has soft nylon brushes that can get into the nooks and crannies to loosen up the crud.
Then I rerun the parts again in the sonic cleaner for another 20 minutes.
I got the Dremel cleaning/polishing kit (#684-01) at Menards. You can get replacement pieces there as well.
Get plenty of the wire wheels and nylon wheels.

One thing to remember. DO NOT try to wire brush the aluminum, you will destroy the nice surface that was there.
It's like using steel wool on you car's finish.

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Empty Re: Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price.

Post  sosam117 Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:31 pm

fps60 wrote:Sosam117,

Thank you for the information. Perhaps, I'm happy owner of exclusive example of Enya 06-II without head gasket probably missed during assembly, however, starting and running immaculately as can be seen in the video above. When I have a time (and wish) to dig through my stables I'll check its diesel counterpart. Sorry, can not do that immediately because the engine had been placed for long-time storage in the place which I could not call readily accessible.

The only Enya diesels I have are 06-II and two Ultra 11 CXDS engines. But I have extensive experience with PAW's. My PAW fleet ranging within .049 to 0.35 consists of more than 20 engines. But that's the subject for a separate discussion, I believe.

As for diesel fuel, I mix my own brew relying on instructions, my own experience, and very useful hints provided by Tony Eifflaender upon requests.

fps60,
The Enya .10 i got when I took it apart had the head JB welded to the cylinder so it would not unscrew.
Then I got the Enya .049 where someone did the same thing, but used epoxy.
The removal of the head with epoxy was easier than the JB Weld job.
The ultrasonic tank softened up the epoxy and I was able to pick out what epoxy I could between the head and cylinder.
It took 5 times in the ultrasonic tank to loosen up the head so I could remove it (unscrew it).

Like you, I looked at my brand new in the box ( the Enya .049-II, .06-II, and .08-II glow engines) that I purchased from Carlson Engine Imports from Arizona (he's still in business by the way)
What I found was none of them had the aluminum gaskets in the box or installed on the engines?
Don't know why they aren't there?
I looked at all the glow engines when Ken Enya told me about the gasket and where it goes.
I replied back to him about not having any gaskets in the cylinder heads and gave him a list of the little Enyas I had.
A month later I got one gasket for each engine. (thanks Ken!)
I have not installed them yet. I just placed them in the box along with the engine it goes to.

Now for the diesel engines. The only gaskets they have are the back plate to crank case, crank case to carburetor, and the one under the head (paper type -- sort of) under the comp. head. No aluminum or copper washer at all.
The paper gasket is .005" thick and is bolted down by the 3 screws in the comp. head to the cylinder.
See my photo of my Enya .06-II diesel

Like you. I have an extensive collection of PAW diesels from their smallest .033 to .35 as well. I also have some they no longer make like the .29. I did have a .40 and .60 but traded them for two MVVS engines (.15 diesels).
Yes, that's for another time, along with all the other diesels I have collected.
The Jewels of my collection are the Irvine Anniversary Edition diesel engines that were a limited production.

Diesel fuel was easy to get years ago until 9/11. Then electric motors started to take over.
Hobby shops started closing down. Tower Hobbies (in Bloomington, Illinois) closed down.
Dr. Diesel (Eric Clutton) stopped selling diesel fuel.
Now the only one left is Aerodyne that is selling diesel fuel and he only ships a quart at a time (cause of hazzard costs).
When I saw Allan Heinrich he told me hell sell diesel fuel until his supply is gone. (which he said will be in a couple of years)
So, I use to 1st get it at my local hobby shop, until they no longer stocked it. Next I was ordering it from Tower Hobbies, until they closed down. When Tower Hobbies came back with new owners they were not selling diesel fuel anymore.
Last, I was getting it from Red Max direct, I had to purchase at least six gallons, pay hazardous material costs and shipping. Then have a license to be able to purchase it because of the either. No problem with the kerosene and castor oil.
So, I have four gallons of diesel fuel I have had for 10 years (still good -- and tightly sealed).

sosam117

Look carefully for aluminum gasket or copper gasket under the glow head -- none there, and it's brand new!
Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Enya_g11

No aluminum/copper gasket here on the .06-II diesel -- different head design.
Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Enya_d11

My Irvine Anniversary Edition diesel engines that were a limited production. Only 100 made.
Lowest s/n is eleven and the highest s/n is twenty-three -- four boxes of the .75 and 1.3 diesel set
Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Irvine10

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fps60 Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:33 pm

sosam117,

I see. May be Enya brothers sell these gaskets to be used as shims for compression adjustment depending on specific nitro content and glow plug used? What I know exactly from my practice is that Enya 06-II glow engine can be used without any problems without head gasket with 10 to 15% nitro fuel and Enya #3 glow plug. As for the rest, I can not be sure of course.

With regard to diesel fuel, we here buy chemically pure diethyl ether in chemicals shops without problems. All I have to do is to submit my identification to seller. Kerosene and lub oil are free to buy of course. IPN is also available. So you have a chance to make essentially any mix you like. Standard fuel for compression ignition engines (30/50/20) is sold in hobby shops. But it is much better to mix your own.
fps60
fps60
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:59 pm

fps60 wrote:sosam117,

I see. May be Enya brothers sell these gaskets to be used as shims for compression adjustment depending on specific nitro content and glow plug used? What I know exactly from my practice is that Enya 06-II glow engine can be used without any problems without head gasket with 10 to 15% nitro fuel and Enya #3 glow plug. As for the rest, I can not be sure of course.

With regard to diesel fuel, we here buy chemically pure diethyl ether in chemicals shops without problems. All I have to do is to submit my identification to seller. Kerosene and lube oil are free to buy of course. IPN is also available. So you have a chance to make essentially any mix you like. Standard fuel for compression ignition engines (30/50/20) is sold in hobby shops. But it is much better to mix your own.

fps60,
Do you live in OZ? (Australia - for others)

As for the shim, maybe you are right? Though I checked the shoulder inside the cylinder and it is not perpendicular to the bore.
It has a angle to it where near the cylinder wall is say -0- and as you go to the center, it has a 4° angle.
So, the head will not really seal in that area.
The top of the cylinder to the bore is 90°, as is the threads, so the head should be the sealing surface.
Maybe that is why every Enya .049, .06, .10 I got from *bay had the head glued on? Because it unscrewed?

sosam117

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fps60 Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:08 am

sosam117,

No, I live in Russia.

Only Enya brothers can know the actual reason why they have designed and made this or that engine so. But actually, head or gasket always seals cylinder bore on top. So, only contact between top surface of the bore and bottom surface of the head is essential, I suppose.

With regard to fuel consumption, I'm surprised to know that Enya 06 diesel is so thirsty. It's bigger brother - Ultra 11 CXD saves fuel, I should say. Anyhow, fuel consumption of 11 CXD is less than half the rate of PAW 19 TBR. Recently we made a 'duration flight' with Enya just to test its stability and fuel endurance. It's running time was around 15 minutes (in flight) fed from fuel tank with 70 cc capacity. PAW 19 exhausted this tank within 6-7 minutes on the average.
fps60
fps60
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Empty Texaco engines ---- Was Enya .10 from *bay

Post  sosam117 Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:53 pm

No, I live in Russia.

Only Enya brothers can know the actual reason why they have designed and made this or that engine so. But actually, head or gasket always seals cylinder bore on top. So, only contact between top surface of the bore and bottom surface of the head is essential, I suppose.

With regard to fuel consumption, I'm surprised to know that Enya 06 diesel is so thirsty. It's bigger brother - Ultra 11 CXD saves fuel, I should say. Anyhow, fuel consumption of 11 CXD is less than half the rate of PAW 19 TBR. Recently we made a 'duration flight' with Enya just to test its stability and fuel endurance. It's running time was around 15 minutes (in flight) fed from fuel tank with 70 cc capacity. PAW 19 exhausted this tank within 6-7 minutes on the average.

fps60,
If the  venturi diameter was reduced on the carburetor on the diesel it would probably run longer than the glow engine.
I have worked with many diesel engines for fuel endurance flights.
I belong to a old timers group called SAM (Society of Antique Modelers) and the have an event called "Texaco"
One event I flew in was called "A" Texaco.
The original rules were any internal combustion engine from .051 to .20c.i and the fuel was restricted to 14cc.
Flight time for the event was 15 minutes - MAX. (motor and gliding). Best 2 flight out of 3.

I played around with MVVS .09, .12, and .15. They were ok but not great.
Looked around for long stroke diesels. They run slower with a long stroke compared to the square bore/stroke diesels.

Then PAW came out with a PAW .09 Texaco (Plain Bearing -- no ball bearings) diesel. It was good endurance engine. I sleeved the venturi smaller so when the carburetor was fully opened there was just enough RPM to lift the plane off the runway. (about 4200RPM)
With the setup I had the PAW.09 Texaco would run for 11 to 13 minutes on the 14cc of fuel.
See the photo of my cleaned up PAW .09 Texaco engine. It was only made for 4 years (1994 - 1998)

Then PAW came out with a larger Texaco engine, the PAW .15 MK1 Texaco  (Single Ball Bearing)engine.
As a stock engine it did well on the 14cc of fuel.
I sleeved the venturi smaller, just like the smaller .09 and played around with it and on the test stand I was getting 15 minutes.
PAW .15MK1 only made from 1997 to 2000.

Built a 72 in wing span Playboy Sr. for the PAW .15 Texaco engine.
1st flight was 16 minutes with the engine and when the fuel ran out (14cc) my total flight time was over 1/2 an hour.
2nd flight was longer because of the thermals later that day.
3rd flight I did not have to fly because the take your best two of three flights and since I did over 15 minutes (Max. time) those were the ones they had to use.
To make a long story short, I did this for 2 years at each contest I entered "A" Texaco.
So, they reduced the diesel fuel to 8cc. I win but not like did before.
Now, I have gone to 4-stroke glow engine. I use the O.S 20 4-stroke engine to compete.
Installed it into my old (former diesel plane) Playboy Sr. and am winning  again.
I use white gas in my fuel with the castor oil/ synthetic blend oil. and I use a battery to my glow plug to keep it lit.

I heard of a rule change of using only fuel give to contestants at the contest for the Contest Director.
No special fuel blends!

Sorry that the PAW Texaco engines are no longer made. They were very good in that event.

PAW .09 Texaco -- Plain Bearing engine
Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Paw_0911

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Paw_0913

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Paw_0912

PAW .15 MK1 Texaco -- Single ball Bearing engine
Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Paw_1510

Acquired an Enya .10 from *bay at a good price. - Page 2 Paw_1511

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fps60 Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:25 pm

sosam117,

Thank you for detailed information. What I knew before was the very fact of Texaco event existence and that Eifflaenders were producing Texaco series engines specially tuned for that event. Now I know the details.

Log-long ago when I was a schoolboy I was rather successful in FAI freeflight events. But now it's only a hobby for me and I'm buiding and flying C/L planes. Therefore, fuel consumption is a secondary parameter for me necessary only to estimate required tank capacity. I'm really surprised with your finding because it's a commonly-known fact that diesel engines generally consume less fuel compared against their glow counterparts.
fps60
fps60
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:36 am

Thank you for detailed information. What I knew before was the very fact of Texaco event existence and that Eifflaenders were producing Texaco series engines specially tuned for that event. Now I know the details.

Log-long ago when I was a schoolboy I was rather successful in FAI freeflight events. But now it's only a hobby for me and I'm buiding and flying C/L planes. Therefore, fuel consumption is a secondary parameter for me necessary only to estimate required tank capacity. I'm really surprised with your finding because it's a commonly-known fact that diesel engines generally consume less fuel compared against their glow counterparts.

fps60,
It is more on the BTU's that can be produced.
Burning alcohol has lower BTU than kerosene has, and white gas has a higher BTU rating than kerosene.
That is why I switched over to the 4-stroke engine. It's not as simple as the diesel but has a better BTU rating (Duration).
Having to have spark ignition equipment added to the engine which adds to the weight of the plane.

Maynard Hill did his Transatlantic flight with a spark ignition engine, because it did the best on fuel and was reliable.
http://barnardmicrosystems.com/UAV/milestones/atlantic_crossing_2.html

When I worked for Caterpillar (Fuel systems division) I learned a lot on fuel atomization, combustion chamber shapes, spray patterns of fuel coming out of the injector tip for best atomization, KPA pressures of injection, and fuel rate of discharge.

I do have a couple of patients (which Cat owns -- done on company time) can't discuss because of Non disclosure agreement. (NDA)

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2