Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Cox_ba12

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Empty
Live on Patrol

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders?

Go down

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Empty What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders?

Post  mnarigon Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm

As the title says, what are the differences between the Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Note, I am asking about the .09, not the .049. Thank you in advance to all you Cox enthusiasts.
mnarigon
mnarigon
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Empty Re: What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders?

Post  balogh Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 pm

TeeDee cylinders have tapered bore and 2x2 extra booster flutes in their bypass ports. Medallion cylinders are straight and have no boosters. This and the larger aperture on TeeDee cranks for fuel/air transfer add a massive  surplus power to TeeDee-s. I mean 09-s too not just 049-s
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Empty Re: What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders?

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:12 pm

I no longer own a Medallion .09. I have 3 TD .09's and they have sub piston induction as well. I'm pretty certain the Medallion doesn't offer sub piston induction on that cylinder. There's also a good chance that early TD cylinders had a tapered ground bore as well.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mnarigon Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for the info.
mnarigon
mnarigon
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:22 pm

And one more salient point-the Medallion 09 cylinder-in standard (ie FF or CL) form only has one transfer flute.....the R/C one has two.....likewise the Medallion 15

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm

I have a couple of used Medallion .09's. There is no provenence with them, but I can look to see what they were most likely built with.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mnarigon Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Thank you. I have a Cox .09 TD that has a damaged connecting rod. Since these appear to be very rare, from my question I was trying to determine whether an .09 Medallion might be a suitable donor. From the above comments, it appears not. However, searching on the web I didn't find any information on .09 pistons/cylinders so having a summary in this thread might help someone in the future.
mnarigon
mnarigon
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 pm

I bet the piston and rod are about the same. It was the cylinder that got the taper bore and extra transfer flutes. I'll tell you what...you show us yours, and I'll show mine. I can have the Medallions popped apart first thing in the am. My build room is unheated, and it is uncomfortably cold in there right now.

Oh,.and I have calipers if you want OAL from piston crown to conrod end. Or crown to skirt.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:42 am

pistons and rod lengths are the same
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mnarigon Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:15 am

I took some photos and measurements of the Cox .09 TD that I have.

The piston length is 0.4980 inches crown to skirt and the total length from crown to connecting rod end is 1.1690 inches. The piston diameter is 0.4965 inches with no detectable taper from crown to skirt.

The cylinder has twin bypass ports with no boost ports. The top fin is not milled. At the crown, the cylinder diameter is 0.4950 inches and at the skirt the diameter is 0.4980 inches, showing a measurable taper in the cylinder. The piston/cylinder combination has SPI as shown in the last photo.

The cylinder looks OK, but the connecting rod was damaged (together with the backplate and crankshaft, notice the galling on the crank pin and the abrasions on the connecting rod end, but I have found replacements for the backplate and crankshaft.)

What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Img_1210
What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Img_1211
What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Img_1213
What are the differences (if any) between Cox .09 TD and Medallion pistons/cylinders? Img_1215
mnarigon
mnarigon
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:17 am

The piston looks scored pretty bad . Can't tell about the cly.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down