Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Queen Bee .074 Cox_ba12

Queen Bee .074 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Queen Bee .074 Empty
Live on Patrol

Queen Bee .074

Go down

Queen Bee .074 Empty Queen Bee .074

Post  dankar04 Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I have heard these are no power house but still a nice sport engine. Muffler and nice package for right useage. Not on my current build list but have a short kit of Cleveland Viking. Vintage cabin type old timer. 3ch. set up will be used and should be nice airplane. I have some yellow silk and should be nice looking way up in the air with sun shinning through covering. Maybe use clear SLC mylar and use colored tissue over it. Slc is very nice to work with and when you apply tissue over it take little amount of dope to seal it up. Come out strong and purdy. Sure beats ugly unfinished foam reaking from oil deposits all over...he..he. Affraid or WOW!
Anyway fine little sport engine and nice feature is uses regular glow plug. So if you have one / give it a try.
Cheers,Dan cheers Airplane
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee .074 Empty Re: Queen Bee .074

Post  nitroairplane Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 pm

The queenbee has about te power output of a tee dee .049/.051
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 pm

The regular glow plug is power robber but you can use any of the glow heads from the 09 engines (medallion or TD).
If you find a good piston and cylinder match, it can do close to 18000 rpm on a 6x3 prop (10% nitro) and that beats the TT07GP for instance...

What revs are you getting from yours?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:The regular glow plug is power robber but you can use any of the glow heads from the 09 engines (medallion or TD).
If you find a good piston and cylinder match, it can do close to 18000 rpm on a 6x3 prop (10% nitro) and that beats the TT07GP for instance...

What revs are you getting from yours?

Kris did you ever try one as a diesel?
The crank does look a bit then but then so does a mills crank.
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:52 pm

No, I haven't tried it on diesel. It could probably take a 7x3 prop on glow though. I think mine did about +16000rpm on a 6x4 prop but it would sag a little, might need a head shim or two for the larger props.

One problem with the QB is the weight (about twice the weight of a Norvel .061 and a similar power on the 6x3 prop), it would need one of the old-school, short nosed, free-flight designs to balance I think.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:No, I haven't tried it on diesel. It could probably take a 7x3 prop on glow though. I think mine did about +16000rpm on a 6x4 prop but it would sag a little, might need a head shim or two for the larger props.

One problem with the QB is the weight (about twice the weight of a Norvel .061 and a similar power on the 6x3 prop), it would need one of the old-school, short nosed, free-flight designs to balance I think.
Well if I get a QB I will try it as a diesel and maybe an 8x4.
I wonder how the diesel would effect the plastic carb body Huh...
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee .074 Empty G/B .074

Post  dankar04 Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

I am not worried about weight of engine. The plane its going into had a O&R .19 ignition engine. Again not out for total performance as engine is good to go as is. I also have a new O&R .19 complete with all the goodies. ...hummm Norvels are fine engines very well made. If I need more go power then maybe a nice Webra 1.5cc Diesel. Anyway Queen Bee looks like the ticket for this. All in all I think its a fine little engine under rated to some degree. Airplane
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:56 pm

The under rated part comes from using a regular glow plug and also from the fact that they have a rather poor piston to cylinder fit. They have a parallel bore and are basically an upsized Babe bee in terms of porting and design (two transfers and zero boost ports). They could have been a lot better I if they had been an upsized TD instead, I think.

So for a Diesel conversion you might have to match a few parts to find a good piston to cylinder fit first.
Another good conversion might be the 05RC. I have thought about it, but then there is also a regular o-ring in the carb (on the needle) that would have to be replaced.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

If you convert an .05 R/C to diesel I would recommend going to a standard Tee Dee crank shaft. The R/C has a drilled out crank pin. I have used one of these cranks on a built up Tee Dee .051 and ended up breaking the crank pin off on about the third or fourth flight. It was turning over 25K RPM though. It was all cool right up until the engine got quiet but the prop kept on spinning.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:The under rated part comes from using a regular glow plug and also from the fact that they have a rather poor piston to cylinder fit. They have a parallel bore and are basically an upsized Babe bee in terms of porting and design (two transfers and zero boost ports). They could have been a lot better I if they had been an upsized TD instead, I think.

So for a Diesel conversion you might have to match a few parts to find a good piston to cylinder fit first.
Another good conversion might be the 05RC. I have thought about it, but then there is also a regular o-ring in the carb (on the needle) that would have to be replaced.

Seems more hassle than its worth but you knever know it could come alive like our pee wees did as diesel.
Replacing a "0" ring shouldn't be too hard, one could be made from a piece of diesel/petrol safe fuel tubing.
I reckon the tee dee .05 RC would be best with a medallion crank. As diesels take mufflers better than glows it could be a lovely engine in the end and a lot lighter than the equivelant PAW.
Oh yeah we have someone working on tee dee .010 HD cranks and throttles Beer Cheers so hopefully they will be perfected soon Smile
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down