Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Cox_ba12

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by roddie Today at 9:35 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:35 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 7:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Empty
Live on Patrol

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Empty [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine

Post  fargophil Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:54 am

As the title says, what is the most efficient commercially available glow head clip for a Norvel engine, one with the Norvel plug and one with the standard glow plug adapter. By most efficient I mean easy to hook up and always makes a good contact. And a bonus question, what is best to light the plug, a hgh current Nicad or a glow panel?
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Empty Re: [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:10 am

I use this actual clip https://www.mikegoesflying.com/shop/engine-accessories/magnum-glow-clip-peg-type/

Unfortunately, it's been out of stock for quite some time but there are other on the net. One thing to be very careful about with these style clips is how you hook this clip to the engine. Ensure it doesn't go into the exhaust port when you flip. The big disadvantage with a Norvel Rev-Lite version ( Round head) is the anodizing used on the head, it's not conductive. I personally remove the anodizing. I use mine for 1/2A combat and time is important and I can't be fiddling with a bad contact.

As for a power source, I'd steer clear of any Ni Cad. Norvel plugs create a lot of resistance, you need a good battery. Ni-Cads are 1.2 volts not 1.5. Therefore it might work when the stars are aligned and the weather is beautiful out. When the temps drop slightly or the plug is aging, the battery gremlins will find you.

I use a power panel with a spill proof acid free 12v. As a back up, I use the RCAT lithium glow driver which is a lot of money but you will never look back.

Even dry cells wired together will work just fine. Just ensure that they're wired in parallel and not in series as it will remain 1.5 volts. 4 D cells will last a long time. The next key factor is the wire. While a old Cox clip would also work for your Norvel, the wire size is inadequate. The wiring needs to be heavier. The heavier wire will not only allow the plug to glow at it's intended rate but it's also easier on the batteries.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Empty Re: [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine

Post  fargophil Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:20 am

i looked up the recommend clip and as you said itis out of stock. A backup selection would be??
The Norvel I have is muffled so whatever I use I wont stick the clip in the exhaust port. Ouch!!
I currently use a Hobbico miniature panel which provides the reduced voltage for the plug but doesn't have a meter or anything to show how much current is going to the plug only a LED showing current is going to the plug.
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:41 am

I use two pretty much exclusively.

I also use a power panel since it has adjustability and fits my field box well. However, I did start with a homebuilt battery box containing 4 D-cells in parallel. Once my field box was built, and I picked up a Sullivan starter, the 1.5V pack got left at home.

The Kwik-Klip II Dubro-type locking clip grabs the body of the glow plug insert, not the head. Guaranteed to light your plug. Bonus is it works with all my engines but Cox. eBay has the Chinese clone type with voltage/amperage regulation built-in (see https://www.ebay.com/itm/144147758230). I may try one of these at some point.

And the older Dubro Kwik-Klip...but it grabs at the anodized head as indicated earlier. Sometimes I have to wiggle the original Kwik-Clip to scratch through to the metal. I do like this one on my Norvel Big Mig .074s, .049s, and Cox engines.
[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Img_2045
[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Img_2046
[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Img_2044

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fargophil Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:00 pm

Interesting. I have a glow plug clip similar to the one shown but not by Dubro., It will not grasp the plug as the outside body is to large. Please check you link for the clone, your link does not work. Thanks.
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Phil,

I don't know what happened. I use the eBay app, and selected "share link." Jump back into eBay and use "glow clip" as your key word search. Then filter to "Radio Control and Control Line."

As of 5 minutes ago, there are 49 hits.

I had a stash of the older Sullivan clips, but after 45 mins of searching, I have to call "no more." I don't know what happened to them. I'll look again later. Since my picture shows a Dubro clone on the .061, let me check my Dubro #337 for clearance/fit on the .061 before you order one. The .049 doesn't have as much space between the head and glow plug for the Dubro Kwik-Klip II, so the smaller engines (.049) get the original Kwik-Klip as shown on the .049 engine.

Expect a bit more info closer to after dinner tonight.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Phil,
What size is your Norvel? The "barrel grabber" type can't grab the .8 cc/.049 cid plug body.

For some reason I thought you indicated 1 cc/.061 cid engine. I don't see that now.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fargophil Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:41 pm

Thanks for looking. I know I have never ever lost/misplaced anything in my shop. Ya right, daily ordeal,especially after moving a couple of times.
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fargophil Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Crankcase on the engine in question is marked AMA-10! and doing the search above doers bring up a good list of clips. One Sullivan is listed, is that what you were searching for?
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:18 pm

Ok...1 cc is .061 cid. I'm surprised your standard glow plug clip doesn't fit....but there isn't much room around a Norvel .061 glow plug.

The Sullivan you found is for .09-larger engines. I'm afraid it may be too large, fit loose, and also clamps against the anodized head (bad connection). I wouldn't bother unless bigger engines are in your future...but then the Dubro will also fit larger engines. Any of the smaller ones, to include the original Kwik-Klip will also clamp against the same anodized head, but would be suitable for Cox engines (as I wrote earlier).

This lot is the .049 in the top right, with .061 to lower left. The Kwik Klip II (# 337) is confirmed to fit the .061 (and all other standard screw-in glow plugs) in the next picture. A NiCad Dubro is also confirmed to fit, although I agree with Ken regarding the suitability of NiCads in the cold, or flooded engines.

If I were to buy ONLY FOR the .061, the Dubro 337 would be my choice. Now you see why I have/use two types.

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Img_2047
[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Img_2048

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Phil,
Are you planning on going to the flight line light, with a handle, lines, a can of fuel, and small battery box (1.5V cell-pack)?

Or will you employ a field box with room for a 12V lead-acid rechargeable security light battery, power panel, and starter?

I stepped-up to a field box because I was flying a twin-engine DH Mosquito with new NV Big Mig .074s, and thought the starter was a convenience. Until then, my 4-cell DIY battery box and an index finger/chicken stick was all I really needed.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fargophil Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:43 pm

ii use a small field box that has a space for a 12v gel in the back and a open space the same size in the front. Starter straps to the side with a Hobbico Micro panel on top. I have switched from the gel cell to a 14.4v 5 amp lipo. Plenty of power to start anything I might need to an a heck of a lot oighter.
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fargophil Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:58 am

pictures of field box

[sub][solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine 100_2610
[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine 100_2611

/sub]
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Looks good! By please be careful with that starter. It will wring your .061 to pieces in short order, and ruin a Cox in a blink. Trying to clear a flooded engine will bend rods, break rods, and cranks.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Phil,
The larger one in red is, well, large! It is a Hobbico starter.
The green one is a Sullivan Hornet. I won't use it on .049 and below, not above .15 (popped a 15 or 20 Amp fuse in my Power Panel on my Medallion .15).
The white one is a recent aquisition. It is an AstroFlight Mini Starter. I expect to use it "only when needed" between .049 and .020.

Oh, and I'm looking for a copy of the owners manual for the AstroFlight starter. I think this is a 12 volt starter, but can't confirm it.
[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Img_2049

Last edited by 944_Jim on Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fargophil Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:33 pm

The Astro flight is 12v or in my case 14.4volts. I have one, no owners manual unfortunately. If in your travel you ever come across a suitable insert fo the Astro flight keep me posted. My insert has seen better days, as so have I!
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:44 pm

I popped my insert out and turned it around. It looks to be the same diameter as 3/8" or 1/2"  heater hose. Sullivan still markets theirs. I think the inserts are 5he same size (to be confirmed by digital caliper tonight).

I saw a picture of the Miller 1/2A starter and noted it looks.like the AstroFlight...too much so to be coincidental. Miller may be marketing the AF as theirs these days...if they are still selling theirs.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:08 pm

delete
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:13 pm

944_Jim wrote:I popped my insert out and turned it around. It looks to be the same diameter as 3/8" or 1/2"  heater hose. Sullivan still markets theirs. I think the inserts are 5he same size (to be confirmed by digital caliper tonight).

I saw a picture of the Miller 1/2A starter and noted it looks.like the AstroFlight...too much so to be coincidental. Miller may be marketing the AF as theirs these days...if they are still selling theirs.

No-the Miller starter is not the Astroflight one sold under another name-it is an entirely separate offering-and the Rolls Royce of 1/2A starters-and I have the Astroflight, Norvel and Sullivan hornet starters to make direct comparisons with...

One of the benefits of the miller starter was they offered three different inserts for it-010, 020 and 049-so there was none of the issues you often get when trying an oversize insert on a smaller spinner engine....as well they are very smooth in operation, something the Norvel and Astroflight units are not -though I rate the Sullivan hornet just as highly-but this is more suitable for the 049-15 engine range.

Unfortunately the Miller units are i believe no longer available-the business was destroyed during the California bushfires-a year or so back. I'm happy to be corrected-but i think they never restarted after this calamity.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks Chris...frankly, I forgot this thread.
You are correct on all your data. Out of all the starters you list, I don't have the Miller. I do have another antique one, but the brand escapes me at the moment. It was designed to take 2 each 2V batteries that are a smidge bigger than D-cells. The OEM ones appear to be available at around $20 each, and they take a charger specifically built for them. I already own a LiPo charger so I intend on finding a smaller, more modern replacement LiPo.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:07 pm

944_Jim wrote:Thanks Chris...frankly, I forgot this thread.
You are correct on all your data. Out of all the starters you list, I don't have the Miller. I do have another antique one, but the brand escapes me at the moment. It was designed to take 2 each 2V batteries that are a smidge bigger than D-cells. The OEM ones appear to be available at around $20 each, and they take a charger specifically built for them. I already own a LiPo charger so I intend on finding a smaller, more modern replacement LiPo.

Jim-your description sounds like a Globee Fusite 'Stinger' unit....long out of production....more's the pity-I liked the concept.
The Miller is a particularly smooth unit...I don't know if that's a consequence of the motor used-or perhaps the bearings...perhaps a 5-pole or even 7-pole brushed as opposed to the more traditional 3-pole motor.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:55 pm

Happy T-day, all!

FargoPhil...where are you? I have something for you!

There are eleven on this card. Minus one for FP, the other ten are up for grabs. Here is the deal...PM your physical address so I know where to mail them out-of-pocket, stateside only.

Expect your clip to arrive in a USPS first class envelope (so I can send via a cheap stamp). If it gets to you and it is usable (ie USPS did their job), then good for you!
Remember, there are ten left after FargoPhil since he asked.

Once you PM, post you did it here so we all know who and how many are left. Just say "Hi Jim, I PM'd, and I'm #" (as we say in the military, "Count Off")." That way no one but me gets your mailing address, and we all know how many are claimed. That way no one loses track and gets their feelings hurt! I'll send the bunch within a few days of the last claimed clip (one trip to post office, please).

For you out of country guys...I'm so sorry. But if any are left AND you want to pick up the tab, well, we.can talk about it. But keep in mind, no promises. I don't know how to send a small item over-seas without it costing more to ship than these things are worth.

Alabi, alabi, alabi: Along that last line...I'll let you know if USPS refuses to mail them in a letter envelope...I can't ship all of these at packed/padded package rate. We can back up and reconsider who will pay to get them out.

Keep in mind it is NOT a requirent to log on to the forum, thus anybody can read topics. This forum is easily read without an account. Posting your PhysAddress within this post will get your post deleted, and you banned from getting one. I don't want any addresses out in the wild

Remember-Just say "Hi Jim, I PMd,.and I'm #."

[solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine Img_2070
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fargophil Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi Jim I am #1 and thanks again!
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:35 pm

Hi Jim, I PM’d you…. Thanks!!!! Very kind Smile

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:37 pm

Forgot!!!!… I’m #2….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next