Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" Cox_ba12

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 9:54 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:35 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 7:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" Empty
Live on Patrol

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!"

Go down

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" Empty A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!"

Post  Kim Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:59 am

Had pizza with my little brother Keith at Club 37 near Olmsted, Illinois, and walked outside just in time to see a B-1 "Spirit" circling my home turf!!!

Keith and I had just stepped out the door and I, of course, looked up...right at this beautiful monster!
I think I did a sort of "Du-Duh-DDDDuh...B-2! B-2!!!"  On this pass, I didn't even think to try to take a photo with the phone in my hand!

It looked level as it came by, and I told Keith, "Well, now I can't leave...what if it comes back?"
Joking of course...then...IT DID!!!!

Three circuits as it waited for the cue to overfly a footbal stadium in Cape Girardeau! Holy Hoot!!!

"Come Back ANY TIME!!!!!"

CAUTION!!!!
Contains Severe Airplane Nerd Happiness!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zU_n-q4uo
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" Empty Re: A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!"

Post  FlipStart Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:26 am

Pizza is a good thing. The navigator probably noticed you missed getting a picture in the first pass and they decided to give you a second shot at it. They were probably just out for a joy ride anyway.

Thanks for the video.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:33 am

that is super cool.....

My work is basically across the highway from Moffett Field. I see big C-5 Galaxys, C-141s, etc
I'll try to take some video next opportunity.

their museum is awesome - and just re-opened to the public..
https://www.moffettfieldmuseum.org/

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:35 am

I think they were taking pictures or you....while taking pictures of them!! 3rd time it was in focus! Heh-heh.

notice how quiet that plane is. Someone posted a vid of a airshow where that bomber was in formation with a P51 Mustang and the Mustang was definitely louder than the B-2. Stealthy
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Right place at the right time Kim, wish I had been there to enjoy it also.

I spent most of my adult life around Naval Air Bases and thought it normal seeing circling aircraft. But..........naturally, I never saw anything like that. If I had, I would have checked myself into sick bay. One of the most memorable was the F7U Cutlass.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm

What an amazing sight. I've never seen one in real life.

Thank you Reimar and Walter Horten!

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" Horten11
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:13 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Right place at the right time Kim, wish I had been there to enjoy it also.

I spent most of my adult life around Naval Air Bases and thought it normal seeing circling aircraft.   But..........naturally, I never saw anything like that.  If I had, I would have checked myself into sick bay.  One of the most memorable was the F7U Cutlass.  

That would be fantastic to see!
The Cutlass is still one of my favorites of the early jet age...just wish it could have lived up to its designers' hopes!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:20 pm

Yeah, they finally got it sorted out, but without the AB it was a slug, something that you would never think looking at it. That said, and I have mentioned this before, I watched one taking off on AB from NAS Jacksonville going almost straight up on a trail of fire. Most impressive for that day and time. I have never forgotten it. And the sound..............

And, Lieven. I know those guys, probably from an issue of Air Classics Magazine.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:47 am

There is currently one under restoration. I was reading about it the other day. The engine in the Cutlass is not all that impressive. The problem is that it's exclusive to that plane and changing it to something modern is not a doable situation as it would require cutting into the spar which is not a replaceable part, it's integrated into the airframe and wouldn't be allowed. The owner of the Cutlass has been in search of certain parts which for the past 30 years have been non existent. There's another Cutlass located in a field in Ohio which the owner won't part with. Project Cutlass as it's known is currently on hold but the airframe is completed. It would be neat to see this bird get in the air once again.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:33 am

There was a time after WW2 that you could buy from the government a P-51 Mustang for as little as $1250.00. Others for less. Of course at that time you could buy a house for $1000.00. I bought my first car, a well used 1937 Ford Coupe for $80. But, oh to have had $1250 laying around......................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:42 am

And now it costs that much to fly in one for 20 min. The world has gone out of control. Probably been 20 years ago, I was able to go up in the AT-6 Texan for less than $100. Even for a antiquated engine, that thing put you in the seat. I found it to be a bit scary as this was the first tail dragger I was ever in. When the tail lifted off of the ground, I had a sense that we were going to nose over. On landing, this was even multiplied. We had a cross wind so we were entering the runway with a slight skew. We were on the mains for what seemed to be a eternity and all I wanted was that rear end planted. While the pilot showed no signs of concern, I was uncomfortable.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:56 am

Wow That would bee a moment to remember ! One wild looking bird for sure .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:47 am

getback wrote:Wow That would bee a moment to remember ! One wild looking bird for sure .

Yes!   And it was also "The Impact" of just looking up "AND THERE IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Shocked  It's first circuit was the lowest of the three, and to see this thing just nonchalantly cruising by...well, I thought maybe I'd just suffered a hallucinatory stroke!

Seen them at airshows and even on I-70 out near Whiteman Air Force Base...but to have one circling my little hometown, well...it's for sure a big deal!

Like the old movie said, "Watch The Skies!!!"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:56 am

What luck and what a great video!

I grew up as a redneck (have luckily managed to remain so) in the middle of nowhere, so I spent a lot of time "looking up". Planes and model planes filled a big void of living far from playmates. One summer day, hearing a plane, I looked for it and found it -- 6 turning and 4 burning -- it was a B-36 Peacemaker. That was the first and last time I ever saw one in the air, but what a thrill for a country boy.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:35 am

andrew wrote:What luck and what a great video!

I grew up as a redneck (have luckily managed to remain so) in the middle of nowhere, so I spent a lot of time "looking up".  Planes and model planes filled a big void of living far from playmates.  One summer day, hearing a plane, I looked for it and found it -- 6 turning and 4 burning -- it was a B-36 Peacemaker.  That was the first and last time I ever saw one in the air, but what a thrill for a country boy.

I just bet it was a thrill!

The skies were filled with a lot cooler stuff when I was a kid (of course, the ominous reason was constant prep against attacks from the Ruskie!s), and I often saw formations up high, refueling and such.  There were also the way-too-rare occasions when I would be outside at the same time as a fighter would blast by at low level.  I think they liked to play up and down the Ohio river next to my home town!

That "programming" has endured, and has netted me tons of great moments, whether I had a camera ready or not.

Living in a small town, I guess I wasn't all that isolated, but STILL had to come up with my own entertainment...and did...helped along by an imagination that has still doggedly hung in there!!!   Huh...

I scribbled this on a paper scrap decades ago (and posted here several times), during one of many endless night shifts at the diaper factory, and it pretty-much sums up my childhood when I'd imagine my grandpop's sawhorse into a Mustang:

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" The_bu10

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:49 am

First time I have seen that drawing Kim.  

Love the tire swing hanging from the tree, the maybe P-51D model, and the cowlick.  

Did a little work on your Cherokeeish this morning.

A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" P1011548
A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" P1011550
A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" P1011549
A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" P1011551
A B-2 "Spirit" says, "Hello!" P1011552

I sure left it in an awful mess, so unlike me.  I must have been in a hurry or something.

And yeah. I cut the extension cord in two with the hedge clippers............again...Sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:19 am

YOU GO BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:50 am

Kim, you mentioned the low level fighters and that brought up a memory of my son and I a few years ago. Our now defunct flying field was directly behind the Northeast Philadelphia airport. The ball stadiums are about a 15 min drive south of the spot. It's very industrial where we would fly with the exception of the beautiful and well maintained grass field on the back of one of the hangars. Seeing that one of our senior members worked there and retired from there, it sealed the deal for us to fly there. We flew on this spot for 35 years. We lost the field due to security reasons but not due to us flying rather another group of combat flyers ( Not myself) that had some flyaways resulting in the planes ending up in areas they shouldn't of been. Rather than talk to our club to retrieve them, they took it upon themselves to go get them. That was very frowned upon for several reasons.

During one of the opening season games, 3 F-16's were to make two low level passes over the stadiums at a 1:00 pm. They made their first pass and continued on where they began to circle back over our flying circle. They were totally knife edged and when my son and I were flying two up Ringmasters, Were both in the wingover when the F-16 pilots saw us. They flew down so low we were awe struck. The lead pilot put up his thumb and waved to us. The others leveled off with a wing rock and beat street back to the stadiums. The noise when they left hit us like a shock wave. My buddy Dan was like a little kid jumping up and down. Dan was a F-4 mechanic on the Forrestal for several years. I landed and I was just like WOW!!
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:39 am

WOW! That is a Great memory !! Just don't get much better than that , Thumbs Up on a low fly by of F-16 's Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Great video, and even better you got to film it where you did.

Now my beef with the B-2! Quite a few years ago, there was to be a B-2 flyby at our local airshow. To say I was unimpressed was an understatement. One little flyby and that was it. The beef is as you described yours was in. The B-2 showed up early and was in a holding pattern over the area I live, did about 5+ circuits, and many of my friends got way better pictures of it than I did. But the bonus part is that there was supposed to be a B-1B Lancer here on display. Unfortunately something had happened so it was not here. But at the beginning of the same airshow, they announced that we would get a treat as it was on its way and would do a flyby for us. Great news. Then they announced that the plane had to turn around as something happened (was missed, probably in communication) that it was still armed and they had sent a different one. I still remember it clearly taxiing down the runway with it pointed nose right up behind a passanger jet.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down