Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Brodak Stop Sign Cox_ba12

Brodak Stop Sign Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 8:59 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:29 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Brodak Stop Sign Empty
Live on Patrol

Brodak Stop Sign

Go down

Brodak Stop Sign Empty Brodak Stop Sign

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:09 am

I've had this kit for a long time and it's always been on my to do list. I've also built several Brodak kits and most were good flyers but they had some issues. This kit though needs a lot of help. Whenever I would get the urge to open the box, I would close it immediately and shelve it. Well I went for it the other night. This is a die cut kit which all the older kits they offered were. There's a chance that the newer versions are laser but in addition, most plastic mounted or radial mounted kits they offered have been switched to beam mount engine mounts with the option to go radial. So I start with the picture framing of this kit. Essentially, you fabricate the octagon and fill in from there. Precision is important as it maintains the shape of the model. This kit so far has been absolutely horrid. I remove the wood for the perimeter, half of it is junk, the other half iffy. I use the iffy as all I want to do is build the model.

I get out the balsa stripper and cut some new pieces, I use what I felt was salvageable and begin gluing up. I don't use CA so it's Sig -Bond for me which is essentially a quick tack carpenters glue. The iffy kit wood is now taking a major dump and I'm quickly disenchanted over the fact that I was being frugal and should've cut more pieces from my stock. I move onto the other areas, while it's drying. I dig out the engine nacelle, TOTALLY USELESS. OK, throw that out and cut new parts. The die cutting was so bad that I would've sanded almost 3/16" off of it to make it useable. Not impossible but it was cupped badly. The kit uses a 1/8" x 1/ 16" perimeter band to offer the edges thickness for covering attachment, these pieces also overlap all framing joints giving glue area and strength to the perimeter frame. USELESS pieces as well, I would pick them up out of the box and they would break in my hand. I wouldn't use this wood for a stick and tissue model.

Interest is declining fast, I go to cut the spars, to my suprise, the two in the box were of the correct wood choice and also straight. The future is looking bright, that is until I sized them up on the plan to discover they're 1/8" too short. This kind of stuff goes right up my rear end. OK, get out some spar stock cut new ones and begin the rib assembly. Surprisingly, the ribs were pretty good, fitment was also good. So here I am with a new kit. I have a booklets of info which are of no concern to me, no decal, just a Xerox copy of the letters spelling STOP, ribs, a bellcrank and wheels that are useless even to a rubber power model. All in all it seems like a terrific bargain doesn't it?

I think from a engineering point, it's well designed, from a quality point, it's really on the edge of the fence and I would hope the laser version are better. With the cost of kits today, I would think your getting less than what you received years ago and I find that concerning. It also seems to me that manufacturers do less now then ever and the end user accepts all the final fitment and issues to be had.

I'm still trying to keep a high outlook for the model and hope to have it flying soon as I have dozens of radial mount Black Widows and Golden Bees sitting on shelves.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Brodak Stop Sign Empty Re: Brodak Stop Sign

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:49 am

Ken, your just to much of a darn perfectionist. 1/8" to short.........how did you get so lucky. Smile

Kidding. Fred doesn't like Sterling kits, but I have had no problems with them. It's the luck of the draw with so many variables. Best kit's i have ever bought have been the cheap Blackhawk kits. Still have three or four unmade. Guarding them.

Waiting to see that stop sign fly. Maybe a toilet seat next......

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 am

I finished framing up the Stop Sign. Everything is in good working order. The plane was a bit of a handful to keep everything aligned but all is good. Covering this was a real chore and it took nearly a hour a side to do so. Lots of cuts and folds. I think I'd cover in polyspan if doing it again and painting. Much easier but Monokote endures the rigors of 1/2A flying well so it is what it is.

Brodak Stop Sign Dscn3033

STOP insignia needs to be added. I'm still searching for my white Monokote

Brodak Stop Sign Dscn3034 Power will be a Golden Bee or Black Widow if needed
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 am

Nice looking plane. If I may ask, would you be willing to post a picture of the plans of it. I am just curious as to how it is built and designed. I had liked it before, and always thought it was neat, but the construction had me curious. Is it framed up like a saucer type plane (airfoiled), or is it all straight cut sticks of wood? Reason I had never bought one is that I thought of cutting out a 'stop sign' out of coroplast.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:28 am

The ribs are airfoiled and a bit complex. They're very fragile until glued in place. Reason being is the notch in the front and rear. When sliding them onto the spars and trying to slide the notches in the fore and aft into the perimeter, you say some very creative words. I will check to see that I haven't launched the plans. I have a new motive, if I'm done with it, out to the trash. I somehow managed to save most of the boxes of all the kits I ever built. I've thrown out 3 trashbags full of plans and boxes over the past week. For some reason I was saving all of the punchouts for replacement parts as well in the need of a crash.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:53 pm

Goodaye Ken, you probably already do it, but Scan all your plans into PDF and if you have former's scan them before you ditch them out. Yeh, I know computers muck up to, so I wont go on a about backup. I actually like physical former's/templates and paper plans, but given your years of flying its understandable you may have a few too many! Very Happy Thumbs Up But you've probably done the right thing in getting rid of three trash bags of stuff, cos now its probably all nice and tidy and you can start building up a new set of even newer stuff! cheers sunny

Cool Stop Sign by the Way! cheers

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:10 pm

I have no way of scanning this stuff and honestly, I have to learn to live with less. The three trashbags are now up to five and still counting. Years and years of this crap has found it's way into every closet in my house. I probably had close to 40 rolls of Monokote, Orakote , Solartex and Ultra Cote that just went right into the bags. Never used and probably might still work but it had to go. I know it's sad but the reality is that it's long overdue and the amount of space I already gained in a week is surprising. When the wife says WOW! it looks great down there, you know your on the right path. I've given several planes away and just came across 4 more that have to go. To make matters worse, I get rid of some and my dad just found some of his engines and planes from 40 years ago that he just brought to me. I'm convinced I'm a magnet and this crap just finds me. He had a new in the box Black Widow, a couple new Fox .35's, a handful of others. I was elated and mad at the same time. I get rid of some and more comes back.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:49 am

Good job on the covering it looks like could bee a pain as many corners and the thinness of it . Is the fin ? were the engine goes a mount placement ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:09 am

My dad is to the point where he almost needs to be in a wheelchair. He had knee replacements some years ago and they're failing due to his arthritis surrounding the replacements. For whatever crazy reason he showed up unannounced which made me pretty mad. I do understand he can't sit inside like a couch potato but a simple call letting me know your on your way would do a lot. He brought me a Scientific built up plane. It's actually quite light and it was probably the last plane he built. I didn't recall him building this. It was very dirty and I noticed he was wet sanding it for a final finish which he never did. I know at the time he was using epoxy paint. Seeing i have none of this, I wanted to see if I could just top coat it with butyrate without it crinkling. It's been drying for 40 years so I may have some luck.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:33 am

You might be suffering from hobby overload Ken, that and being somewhat of a perfectionist is not a good combination. Tossing away viable stuff isn't going to help either. You may need to take a vacation away from this stuff for awhile. I know first hand. Firearms, cars, model trains, model planes, woodworking all have been a sourse of pleasure for me but at times at the expense of my family. My mother, my wife needed me more but many times I put my needs ahead of theirs, now I suffer from remorse. Not a nice place to be. Suffer your Dad, he's the only one you will ever have and once he's gone all you will have thats worth a damn are memories. Good or bad.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:53 am

I agree Bob , but like Ken i don't like people just showing up when it takes Only 30 seconds to say i am coming over it that's ok . Vacation man i been on that from the hobby way to long >> Just had somethings that turned my life around and haven't been that interested since . Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:51 pm

getback wrote:I agree Bob , but like Ken i don't like people just showing up when it takes Only 30 seconds to say i am coming over it that's ok . Vacation man i been on that from the hobby way to long >> Just had somethings that turned my life around and haven't been that interested since . Sad

True Eric, but we're talking Dads here, you have lots of friends, but only one Dad. He's the one that brung ya. My door is always open to family, but friends have to knock.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:47 pm

It concerns me to know where he is and when he just goes out without saying anything is why I was getting mad. In addition, when he comes over, I like to offer him up my parking spot out in front vs down the street. We have a lot of impatient drivers around here. When he's crossing the street with a cane at a snail's pace they just fly down the street narrowly missing him. I find that very concerning.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:55 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I have no way of scanning this stuff and honestly, I have to learn to live with less. The three trashbags are now up to five and still counting. Years and years of this crap has found it's way into every closet in my house. I probably had close to 40 rolls of Monokote, Orakote , Solartex and Ultra Cote that just went right into the bags. Never used and probably might still work but it had to go. I know it's sad but the reality is that it's long overdue and the amount of space I already gained in a week is surprising. When the wife says WOW! it looks great down there, you know your on the right path. I've given several planes away and just came across 4 more that have to go. To make matters worse, I get rid of some and my dad just found some of his engines and planes from 40 years ago that he just brought to me. I'm convinced I'm a magnet and this crap just finds me. He had a new in the box Black Widow, a couple new Fox .35's, a handful of others. I was elated and mad at the same time. I get rid of some and more comes back.

Yeah, it hurts to give up stuff you been saving for just the right plane. I recently went to a "outdoor" swap meet at the house/yard/garage/workshop of a Flyer who belonged to a RC Club. He was tired of NOT having "real" swap meets due to Covid restrictions Blah, blah. He had one 2 stall garage of "Stuff" that a recently deceased member whose wife donated to the club to sell and let the proceeds go to the club for Improvements, whatever they saw fit. Nothing was priced, you like it. keep it, you want it, take it(please! Take some) they did have a donation jar that was for what every you wanted to pay. I'm not a member of that club, so I don't know how many members belong, but everyone who shopped at the "club Store" left a donation in Memory of the Past member, to benefit the club. Sounds like you could have some of that " One Man's Junk is another Man's treasure" type of stuff. 40 rolls of monocoate/Orakote/solartex is JUST what some builders would be looking for. Would it make sense to offer it up for grabs at your Club? Don't want to stop you from getting your Feng Shui arranged in the workshop and house, but for what some of that junk sells for on e-bay someone could use it even if it is 40 year old.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:39 am

Hi Ken, do you want any decals for printing on vinyl?
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:56 pm

I actually cut them out last evening. I just had enough white Monokote. Thank you for the generous offer. ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Call it paranoia, but is it me, or are the leadouts exiting very closely together? Do they, or should they be spaced out a bit more, or does it not really matter until they terminate at the handle? Curious as if they are so close together, would it make a difference or not if they were to exit at the same hole/leadout eye? Asking as I really hate covering over and around leadouts......
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Yes, they're close together and no it doesn't matter. This is built as the plans show. All of my combat planes the lines exit out through a one holed leadout guide. So no, it wouldn't make a difference. The bellcrank in my opinion should've been further back in the wing so that the rake of the lines weren't swept so forward. I can only go on the basis of the designer at this point because that's who built and flew it. In addition, I don't use conventional line clips most of the time. I use a hook and tubing slides over tops of the entire assembly. No worries of them snagging each other.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks Ken. I just wasn't sure.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster