Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Pt19 Fledgling wing crack Cox_ba12

Pt19 Fledgling wing crack Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by rsv1cox Today at 7:36 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:11 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Pt19 Fledgling wing crack Empty
Live on Patrol

Pt19 Fledgling wing crack

Go down

Shocked Pt19 Fledgling wing crack

Post  Coxfledgling Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:12 am

Hi cef, here in the UK bonfire night is approaching and on November 6th I can replenish my rocket stick supply.

This means my long awaited aeromodeling season can actually start.

I have a white plastic Cox pt19 wing with a crack about an inch long starting more or less from the starboard wing band spigot.

I will be crack stop hole ing it, but what is the best glue to use with this plastic please ?

I assume after Cleaning the wing and crack with soapy water and rinsing/drying, a wipe over with purple methylated spirit would be safe on the plastic ?

I will be making a balsa fuz for it and of course powering it with a baby bee with remote tank and silencer. I could source a babybee tank...

All help/advice greatly appreciated.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Pt19 Fledgling wing crack

Post  getback Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 am

From what i have read the Testors Red tube 3501 is the go to , sounds like you got the cleaning down pat , also Windex widow cleaner does a good job . If using a Babe Bee with integrated tank they are pretty easy to find EXModels has them and Bernie from Cox international .. The Glue in UK https://yankeedabbler.com/testors-3501-polystyrene-plastic-cement-5-8oz-18-5ml-tube-scale-all-part-704-3501/?gclid=CjwKCAjwq9mLBhB2EiwAuYdMtY1aKtLV4dcq5SzRFjCbb3_kP8-63b9aZHZYvv3TDckYS3ik5kfoKxoCjIsQAvD_BwE Tanks http://www.exmodelengines.com/home.php?cat=268 I scratched built one years ago , flew pretty good lacks power though... Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:17 am

Thanks get back...

Pretty sure dens model supplies does the tanks, Southampton, will check later.

Will check Amazon for the restore glue but think permagrit does the plastic majic glue, will research later...

Thanks, much appreciated...
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 am

I'm more inclined to wait on sourcing a decent, used wing...especially since you indicate the desire to scratch-out a balsa fuselage. Then this would become a display model. However, given that you might want to fly a PT-19, consider scratch-building the entire plane.

I can't remember the actual post, but one of the forum members built a profile model with slab-wing by using the Sterling PT-19 patterns from Outerzone. There is also the corrugated plastic clone that really looks like the Cox model in flight. Do a search for my posts from around 8-12 mos back...I included links to both in that thread. I'll link back to it if I find it tonight.

The corrugated plastic plans can be found by internet searching for "corrugated PT-19 Cox PDF." I know there are YouTube videos of this one.
Oh...here:https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14306-rare-cox-thimble-drome-prototype-pt-19-coroplast-build-gas-model-airplane

And the Sterling:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12133-my-pt-19-entry-for-the-official-international-cox-pt-19-fly-it-if-you-got-it-day

I have to get back to work.

Last edited by 944_Jim on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found both links)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 pm

Does telepathy work...

Just thinking about chasing up the glue I need, and someone else is too..
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Shocked Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the sterling pt19 c/l plan, will get everything in place and make that as per plan Xmas week, nice subject which I will enjoy making and flying.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:35 pm

Yes, Testors Red Tube works, but let it cure well. Back it up with like plastic if possible. New wing is best.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaseBanner Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Coxfledgling wrote:Hi cef, here in the UK bonfire night is approaching and on November 6th I can replenish my rocket stick supply.

This means my long awaited aeromodeling season can actually start.

I have a white plastic Cox pt19 wing with a crack about an inch long starting more or less from the starboard wing band spigot.

I will be crack stop hole ing it, but what is the best glue to use with this plastic please ?

I assume after Cleaning the wing and crack with soapy water and rinsing/drying, a wipe over with purple methylated spirit would be safe on the plastic ?

I will be making a balsa fuz for it and of course powering it with a baby bee with remote tank and silencer. I could source a babybee tank...

All help/advice greatly appreciated.
killer project, sounds like fun. fiberglass maybe? if u can clean and skuff the snot out of it. Ive glassed all kinds of stuff but not this kind of plastic let alone a piece of fuel soaked piece from the 60's. but if u could make it stick it would be solid repair. mix the glass too hot might melt ur wing. Id try it if it were mine. if the wing broke again bet it would be in a diff spot... I so need to string one up and pay respect to what kindled the fire of the 1st of many passions... good luck man, would like to see the fuse when u get er built!
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:55 pm

Soory I am a bit late to reply here, but just have one comment to add. If you still have not yet fixed up the crack, to stop it from further spreading, drill a small hole at the very tip of the crack. Even if it is a 1/16" hole. But just me personally, I would drill a 1/8" hole just to make sure you got it drilled right at the end of it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Shocked Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:17 am

Yep, a crack stop hole. I may have a problem getting the trstord glue here in the UK though.

No rocket sticks found at all this year sadly, no one !

There was a green stuka featured on BBC TV "the repair shop" last week and he had to glue and reinforce a wing crack .

The engine was solid but successfully stripped, freed, cleaned and ran on a prime, but refused to run on tank, sticky Reed probably, so they fitted a replacement engine.

The model was not flown.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down