Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What did I buy here? Cox_ba12

What did I buy here? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What did I buy here? Empty
Live on Patrol

What did I buy here?

Go down

What did I buy here? Empty What did I buy here?

Post  duaneh Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:48 pm

Yeah, I know, combat wings. Very Happy
Can anybody narrow it down further?

What did I buy here? 100_3110

What did I buy here? 100_3111

These showed up at the LHS, and I thought they were too neat not to buy.
4 identical planes. The span is 30" and weight 7 oz.  
I have no experience flying combat wings, but isn't this too big and heavy for good performance on a reed valve engine?
The engines are a mix of Black Widow and Golden Bee parts, but they all have dual bypass cylinders and high compression heads.
There's also 2 sets of lines, .012" x 35' steel. I've always used spiderwire for 1/2A, so it will be interesting to see if there's any difference in feel.
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

What did I buy here? Empty Re: What did I buy here?

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Might be fine for slow combat.They will fly as is. Ken should pop on and answer your questions. If he doesn’t just PM him.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:29 pm

I have no experience with U/C combat models.. but I think I can say that those "wings" will likely fly the best for stunt-training.. even with a reed-valve engine. Don't underestimate the power of a Cox .049 reed valve engine. When in good-tune, they can turn 20K+ rpm all day.. if you have a day's-worth of fuel.. Smile

I would have bought them.. if I saw them for sale. Let us know please; when and if you build one to fly! Thanks!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:20 pm

Those are 1/2a Lil Hackers from Phil Cartier of Core Works who's web site is non op for some reason
they fly fast on 35 to 42 foot line with good fast engines. Easy to build and fairly durable except in a nose in crash the engine rips off the firewall. Two up streamer chase ...have fun
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duaneh Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:37 pm

Roddie, you read my mind!

My intention for the planes is to use them as stunt trainers. I can try all kinds of new and inadvisable things without fear of crashing. Not because I won't, but because they should bounce pretty good, and I got plenty.

My fingers are crossed that they fly OK.
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duaneh Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 pm

Thanks for the ID, Fred.
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:37 pm

there are some posts in the vendor section of Stunt Hangar.com

https://stunthanger.com/smf/core-house/

the latest being from December, and has Phil's phone number in the signature.... maybe worth a call?

I say fly em!
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:51 pm

duaneh wrote:Roddie, you read my mind!

My intention for the planes is to use them as stunt trainers.  I can try all kinds of new and inadvisable things without fear of crashing. Not because I won't, but because they should bounce pretty good, and I got plenty.

My fingers are crossed that they fly OK.

Fred knows what they are!

Post a reply Empty by fredvon4 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:20 pm
Those are 1/2a Lil Hackers from Phil Cartier of Core Works who's web site is non op for some reason
they fly fast on 35 to 42 foot line with good fast engines. Easy to build and fairly durable except in a nose in crash the engine rips off the firewall. Two up streamer chase ...have fun

The Cox .049 dual-bypass (#1) cylinders bring nice power! You can still find them if you know where to look. Watch for auctions that list model/Cox engines.. and look for "parts-engines". The older (1st series) Cox "product-engines" were .049 reed-valve engines which had plastic (Delrin-grade) back-plates (a combination venturi/needle-valve assy. and reed-holder). The models utilized an external fuel-tank. It was a modular set-up to fit multiple Cox models of that time.. but had no means for mounting the engine in any other non-Cox models. This would "orphan" many an engine.. if it was lucky enough to escape being thrown away... along with the crashed/irreparable/broken plastic airplane that it came with. Lucky for us; there were 100's of 1000's produced due to their popularity.

Look for these (images below) engines when you search auctions.

What did I buy here? Cox_0426

These engines are usually worth investing in. They are often in very good condition.. and the piston/cylinder "fit" was a precision-operation, which is what set Cox apart from most other 1/2A size glow-engines of the period. They have affectionately been nicknamed "Postage-Stamp" engines.. because of the "shape" of the backplate.  

You may find some that are "locked-up/seized".. but the application of a heat-gun or hair-dryer will usually loosen them-up. These would need to be totally disassembled and properly cleaned before attempting to run.

The above photo shows two of the engines which have the (red) Delrin backplate/carb. These almost always have a superior fine-threaded needle-valve assy. which is well-worth salvaging.. if you ever want to try running a pressurized (bladder) fuel delivery.

The "reed" is usually of the copper/beryllium "star-shaped" type.. having a circlip-type retainer.

Goldberg models produced a "mount" for these engines.. making it possible to use them in non-Cox models (mainly model-airplanes..) and you can still find those too.. (see image below)

What did I buy here? 190-2910

The crankcase/cylinder-assy. adapts seamlessly with the 2nd-series Cox product-engine "Horseshoe"-style backplate/carb.. so there's no worries there.

I mentioned the above engines for the benefit of all who read this thread. It's exciting to me; your scoring the deal on those "Lil' Hackers".. because I know that you're gonna' have some fun with them! Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum