Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie! Cox_ba12

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 4:04 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by balogh Today at 3:10 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 2:51 pm

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by Cox International Today at 2:48 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 11:52 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie! Empty
Live on Patrol

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie!

Go down

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie! Empty Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie!

Post  balogh Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:32 am

Just tested this afternoon one of my old-stock red postage stamp backplate reedies in the nose of the Quickie 100 plane, with its home-made exhaust throttle ....(the thin wall cylinder has a bottom rim that does not allow the use of the conventional throttle rings sold by Bernie and Matt...so I have devised one).

A lonely tester, I held the smartphone in my right hand and the plane in the left, while moving the throttle stick of the radio with my..... toe  lol! so the camera movement is hilarious...(This may raise eyebrows of strict and consolidated modelers , but life is short, why wait for a helper?).

Noteworthy is the top speed at near 20.5k with a 5x3 COX prop with safety tip, and the lowest speed near 9k. (These numbers are the results of audio-taching the video). The rattling sound in idle comes from the thin wheels on the piano wire landing gear...

Other than the Galbreath head and Nelson plug (and the flats I filed on the top fin), the engine is all old stock COX 290. Fuel is my home brew 60/20/20 all castor..

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie! Red_po10

This little critter has more power than a stock Black Widow that was tested to turn a somewhat larger, 5 1/2 x3 prop well below 20k as reported in a 1974 article: http://www.sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Cox%20Black%20Widow.html
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie! Empty Re: Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie!

Post  KariFS Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:57 am

Cool Cool Sounds like an angry bee on steroids when she revs up Very Happy

The 290 must be one of the most underrated model engines in the world. Very nice engineering on the exh throttle Thumbs Up
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie! Empty Re: Respect the red postage stamp backplate reedie!

Post  balogh Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:01 am

Thanks Kari, aesthetically and performance-wise the 290 is a gem of the COX reedie line-up..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:27 pm

My general impressions of the red (although some were white) Dupont Delrin postage stamp engines, if you use the one that has the dual bypass with SPI cylinder, mount it on an 8cc metal stunt tank assembly with a Tee Dee head, you essentially had a Black Widow.

And, if you took the one with a single bypass with SPI and mounted it to an 8cc stunt tank assembly, you possibly had a Golden Bee?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:33 pm

Yes, the 290 has always dual bypass..maybe the turbo head, plus the wide venturi, but this 290 is definitely more powerful than my stock Black Widows..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Sound like a Good old tapered bore those old one has Good power Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:10 am

Thanks for making the video , I know you have talked about this engine and was wanting to hear it run and It runs Great with the sound of a TD with a small prop ! Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:14 am

Thanks Eric and David. A few weeks away from the flying field gives you the cold turkey and you just want to hear them scream lol! I hope to be back flying soon with the real experience in my ears eyes and fingers.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down