Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Cox_ba12

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 1:13 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 1:03 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 12:15 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 11:30 am

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:26 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 10:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 9:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 9:30 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 3:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 9:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Empty
Live on Patrol

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines

Go down

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Empty New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines

Post  sosam117 Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:07 pm

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Enya_172

Here are "New in Box" Enya .10 series #4 engines.
The first two are the earlier versions (pre 1988) the other two on the left are post 1988.
Had to clean them because of the pistons  and crankshafts were stuck (from sitting for so long?)

More information of their internal differences later.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Empty Re: New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Thanks for sharing those, I have never seen the version with special heads on the right in the photo. You mention modifications, what were those?

I've always thought those models of Enya looked so nostalgic, that they made nostalgic and old timer R/C and free flight aircraft look like they were made for them. I guess that Ken Enya's family thought that they may have not been a money maker exported, and thus remained for the Japanese and Asian markets.

You indeed have some rare jewels there.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Empty Internal modifications of the Enya .10 engines

Post  sosam117 Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 am

Well, here is what I found when cleaning these "four" engines.
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Enya_173

1st the standard "old" Enya .10 engine:
This is the photo and weight of the original parts:

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines A_001_10

Next is another standard "old" Enya .10 engine.
I modified the cage and connecting rod similar to the Mikoken engine.
One difference is that I did not have a "hollow" piston wrist pin.

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines A_002_10

Then moving onto the Enya High Performance engine (flat head with cooling fins on top)
As you can see, Enya did change a few things on this engine compared to the "old" Enya .10
With the newer head, compression went to 9.5:1 from 8.0:1 (lower dome shape in the glow head)

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines A_003_10

Now last is the engine made by Mikoken, which makes custom engines and this Enya .10 has slightly more modifications.
The Mikoken website for them is here:  http://mokoken.driven.jp/index.html
Mr. Furusaki is the owner of Mikoken (Model Aviation Research Institute) which research and developing internal combustion engines for models.

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines A_004_10

One thing that is also different with the Mikoken engine is that the crankcase where the cylinder head screws in, is 1mm shorter, thereby increasing the compression ratio to 9.5:1 (approximately) using the Hi-compression head. and the piston is now visible (at BDC) by about 1mm.
Which by the way makes it hard to remove the cylinder using the wrench in the exhaust ports. I had to use the strap method to remove the cylinder.

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 0024_010

Another thing, with the shortening of the crankcase, the piston is now almost even to the bottom of the glow head (just like a Cox engine) Originally it was 1mm below the glow head seating face, now it is 0.28mm (.011")
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 0022_010

Here is the photo of the piston cages from the "stock" Enya .10 to the one that I modified, to the Enya/Mikoken manufactured.
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 010_en13

Now the cost of the engines:
The Standard "old" Enya .10 engine that was (NIB) I got it for $112.75 (plus about $30.00 shipping -- Japan)
The Enya .10 that I modified (NIB) ---- for $125.10 (plus about $30.00 shipping -- Japan)
The Enya Hi-performance .10 engine --- for $155.39 (plus about $30.00 shipping -- Japan)
And last the Mikoken Enya .10 engine --- for $237.74 (plus about $30.00 shipping -- Japan)

All of the Mikoken engines always sell for a higher price because of their unique and custom build.
Currently I have fourteen of the Mikoken engines from the Enya .049 Reed and front intake to the Enya .10 in the photo above.
and this rare Enya .10D diesel below:

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 02_eny20

I am lucky to have a friend in Japan that I have stayed in touch with to be able to get these engines from him, along with other Enya engines.
I trade some Cox parts/engines for Enya parts/engines.

Last edited by sosam117 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Empty Re: New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines

Post  getback Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:39 am

Nice Looking engine and the Mods. are extra icing on the cake , Do you know what the differences in runs are RPMs / Thrust / ect . You are lucky to have a good friend in Japan to purchase engine and trade on the side . This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:46 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Thanks for sharing those, I have never seen the version with special heads on the right in the photo. You mention modifications, what were those?

I've always thought those models of Enya looked so nostalgic, that they made nostalgic and old timer R/C and free flight aircraft look like they were made for them. I guess that Ken Enya's family thought that they may have not been a money maker exported, and thus remained for the Japanese and Asian markets.

You indeed have some rare jewels there.

The real problem was that Enya just did not have any good distributor/dealer for their engines in the USA.
I got my 1st Enya .06-II diesel and Enya .15D diesel from Ed Carlson back in 1996. Then a couple of months later the Enya .049-II glow and the Enya .06-II glow and Enya .08 glow.
In 1998, Carson got a cease and desist from (at the time MRC) from selling "any" Enya engines because he was not an approved "distributor" for Enya.
I got all of this from Ed Carlson himself, as I tried to purchase more of the "little" engines and also when I found out of the Enya .10 engine that was also available.
I purchased from Carson the Enya engines he had on hand at the time, which comes to (2 each) .049-II glow /.06-II diesel and glow / and .08 glow. Unfortunately no Enya .10 (Carlson already had them sold --- gone) and "three" Enya .15 diesels

Total Enya engines purchased from Carlson before ceased and desist order --- eleven
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Img_0153
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Img_0154
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Img_0155

As you notice on the box the engine size, there is a number "#2" above it that tell me that it is a U/C engine (no T.V. - throttle control) and at the time the engine was cheaper than a Cox engine .049/.051.
I since have purchased the T.V. and muffler which I penciled below the engine size, so I know what is inside.

Altec (formerly MRC) just didn't advertise Enya the way they should have, and they only shipped in the engines what the modeler thought he should have.

When I purchased a Cox .049 Texaco motor back in 1997, my Enya .049-II engine (without throttle control -- T.V.) was $6.00 cheaper.
Yes, the T.V. was $3.00 more that the Cox if I got the throttle control. But the exchange rate of the US dollar was stronger than the cheaper Yen and an Enya .09 was way cheaper than the Cox .09 engines (but not as powerful as the Cox engine).

Altec (MRC) just didn't do Enya any justice.
If Enya had Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies, or any other distributor I think they would have done very well?
Who knows?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:21 am

getback wrote:Nice Looking engine and the Mods. are extra icing on the cake , Do you know what the differences in runs are RPMs / Thrust / ect . You are lucky to have a good friend in Japan to purchase engine and trade on the side . This Site Rocks!

The stock Enya .10 top RPM is around 13,000 with the T.V. (15,000 with the U/C venturi)
The Mikoken engine top Rpm is about 21,000 to 22,000 Rpm with T.V or U/C venturi. That is what my friend in Japan told me.

What my friend told me is that the Mikoken engines compete against the Cox engines in pylon racing in Japan.
The one engine used for racing is the .049 engine.

I have photos and details measurements of one of the (NIB) Mikoken engines for racing.
I'll have to do a write up and post it here someday?
That engine cost me a good piece of change ($240.69 + about $30.00 from Japan)

Here is the photo of a NIB Enya .049-II next to a NIB Mikoken .049-II engine
The Mikoken engine has the spinner whereas the Enya just has a nut.
The Mikoken crankshaft is made by Mikoken and has a M3x.5 thread compared to the Enya M3x.6 threaded shaft.
That is how you can quickly identify a Mikoken engine over a Enya engine (besides the spinner nut).
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 0025_e10

Photo of the glow head difference: (Enya's on the left / Mikoken's head on the right)
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 025_mo10

Last is the crank difference:
(Enya's rectangular hole / Mikoken's is round) counterweight: (Enya's on left side of photo / Mikoken is on the right).
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 011_mo10
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines 020_mo11

There are more differences that I'll try to post them all at a later date.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:17 am

Thank You Mike , that is strange the differences reflect to the Medallion vs the TD in the crank transfer holes , and then that he would use a what looks heaver web in the pin end . Also using less combustion chamber in the head .. But i guess he knows what he doing the numbers prove it . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:50 am

I'm thinking that the round crankshaft hole under the venturi may help with smoother laminar, less turbulent flow (reduced friction).

It makes me think, may be one doesn't need to change a Cox Medallion .049 crankshaft with the round hole to the Tee Dee one with rectangular hole, to upgrade its power, may be just the cylinder. Huh... (off topic for this thread.) Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:29 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:I'm thinking that the round crankshaft hole under the venturi may help with smoother laminar, less turbulent flow (reduced friction).

It makes me think, may be one doesn't need to change a Cox Medallion .049 crankshaft with the round hole to the Tee Dee one with rectangular hole, to upgrade its power, may be just the cylinder. Huh... (off topic for this thread.) Very Happy

The center hole in the Mikoken crankshaft is slightly smaller than the Enya center hole in the crankshaft by 1.5mm?
There are many more changes in the Mikoken .049 (Enya look-a-like).
Like the piston is different, cylinder, conrod slightly longer, glow head, crankshaft, venturi intake dia. and compression ratio.

Externally it looks like an Enya .049-II engine. Like a Chevy badged as a 283 but really has a 350 under the hood?
Just a little more power in an original package.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:31 pm

please delete.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accidently hit quote instead of edit.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:33 pm

Fact he went with a slighter larger piston and longer stroke with a different cylinder sounds like he may have optimized the port tuning for RPM. Any upsizing of the displacement was probably within the Japan rules for pylon, I imagine, however slight, but apparently shows with the dramatic increase in RPM. The crank pin is larger to withstand higher RPM and counterweight slightly more massive for better balancing.

On the other side of the spectrum, I thought it interesting that Enya also made a reed valve version of its .049 engines as well.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:28 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Fact he went with a slighter larger piston and longer stroke with a different cylinder sounds like he may have optimized the port tuning for RPM. Any upsizing of the displacement was probably within the Japan rules for pylon, I imagine, however slight, but apparently shows with the dramatic increase in RPM. The crank pin is larger to withstand higher RPM and counterweight slightly more massive for better balancing.

On the other side of the spectrum, I thought it interesting that Enya also made a reed valve version of its .049 engines as well.

Yes-but the Enya reed valve models whether 049 or 06, predated the front rotary models.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Empty Enya .06 Reed Valve engine -- also modified by Mikoken

Post  sosam117 Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:18 am

I was able to bid and win "one" of Mikoken engines that is a modified Enya .06 rear induction (reed) engine.

New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Mikoke10
New in Box Enya .10 Series #4 engines Img_0156

This engine was run on 5% nitro with a 6x4 prop --- turning 19,000 RPM

That is the tag that came with the engine from Mikoken?
The reed is like the old Cox reeds and held in place the same way, with "C" type clip.

The rear induction engines rarely show up on the Japanese auction website. Especially the .049?
When an Enya .049 rear induction comes up, it usually sells for around $200.00 (used)
I was told by my Japanese friend that the "old" rear induction engines are used for tether cars there?
For car races?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down