Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Cox_ba12

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Empty
Live on Patrol

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Empty The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:43 am

No bottom wing, conventional tail assembly, fairings/struts, Levent's pilot guy, and maybe the kitchen sink.  

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014093
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014099

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014094

Made a little mistake, hey I'm working an eighty four and nine tenths point five year old brain here.  

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014097
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014096
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014095

Not even noticable.  Years ago I would have cut a whole new piece.  

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014098
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Empty Re: The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:47 am

Bob, you have a knack for bringing the best out of junk. Very Happy

There is always a happy ending in bringing back memories. Very Happy

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Empty Re: The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK

Post  rdw777 Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:28 pm

I think this one’s going to have a lot of character….The cowl and struts will set it off…. I like the old warhorse ukie too…Bet it could tell a story or two…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:42 pm

rdw777 wrote:I think this one’s going to have a lot of character….The cowl and struts will set it off…. I like the old warhorse ukie too…Bet it could tell a story or two…

Probably most of them sad:

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Cub_311
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Cub_211
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Cub_111

But yes, I would love to know it's history.  I'm just happy that it was never tossed out.  I wonder how it survived all these years and where and how it was stuck away.

Cub's plastic backplate had mounting screws and pegs that required relieving the luan to accept.  Backplate has built in down.  I'm keeping the 12" wing instead of cutting it back to eleven.  I had originally made this wing for the Airtruk, but opted for the wider five in chord.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014102

I'm not going to use bolsters to fill out the backplate, going to let it hang out like the Goldberg Cub.

New smaller bell cranks coming.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK One_ha11

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:04 pm

Millimeters are easier to work with than inches.  After trying to decypher inches I switched to mm's.  Going to back up the engine mount with triangle stock forgoing the bolsters.  Everything is square, no deviation.  There is down built into the plastic plate.  Built for foam, it had four spikes and was glued on.  

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014103
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014104

Cutting out the templates for the rudder, horz stab/elevator.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014108
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014109

Bit the bullet and laid out $20 for a $7.50 can of sanding sealer.  Have you checked the price of paint lately....................

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014110

Ya, me too.  I have no idea how this is going to turn out.  Fly or not?  Maybe?  Sending it to Ken.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:57 pm

Bob, I have to chime in here a second. In the picture with the assembly in the vise and your square body on top. You show the square with the bubble in the center. I see these types of pictures on the internet with regular frequency. I see it on wings, stabs, etc. In generally, the level is completely irrelevant. In the event the table was completely level, and the vise square to the table this would be somewhat viable. However, the level only proves that the piece you have the square on is parallel to the horizon. It doesn't mean it's square to the fuse. I see this many times when a drill press is pictured and I see levels being used where a square should be used.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Millimeters are easier to work with than inches.

Yes Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:19 am

I've been making logo and insignia for the yellow Piper Cub. If you want to paint it in another color please let me know.

Last edited by Levent Suberk on Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:51 am

Hello Bob, are you making another cub from the broken balsa one that ur repairing ? Or is it a difft. plane altogether ? Sorry if i am out there this morn been a long 2 weeks w/water problems that are finally fixed Thumbs Up Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:22 am

Ken, the adjustable part of the square was there for the weight.  I tried to clamp it after gluing but it kept knocking it off center.  But in the past I have used a torpedo level across the wing, still beats my vision corrected eye and gives me the impression that at least I'm trying to do something right.  Smile

Thanks Levent, I'm finishing the whole thing in yellow.  Black accents would be wonderful.  I'm still thinking how to do the cockpit, duplicate the one on the Carl Goldberg model or something different.  

And Eric, a whole new plane based on the original "Silver Lining" and made up of scrap balsa left over from the other builds.  But, quite different, no lower wing and a conventional tail.  I just needed an excuse to use up that cowl and Pee Wee engine.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014112
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014111
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014113
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:35 am

I can understand where Ken is coming from. Being a carpenter, he references his measurements relative to the section he is working on. This is because floor surfaces are not necessarily square with the horizon. In a garage, the floor is usually mildly sloped to allow drainage toward the garage door and outside. Carpenters are able to take a less than perfect situation and make it look good. (I have actually seen this on the job.)

OTOH, a fine machinist will install his equipment perfectly level with the horizon, adjusting the feet on the equipment until that is achieved. Then all measurements are square. Also, it helps to prevent work from rolling off the table workspace. But, usually he will take a couple different measurements to ensure the squareness and alignment of surfaces on the work.

Your work is coming right along, Bob.

Regarding metric versus ANSI/SAE standard measuring system, when I went to college in the mid 1970's, the latter was used throughout, with metric introductions in class, in case we should encounter metrics like working in Europe. On the job, it was mostly the latter until the late 1990's.

But, in the transitional shape of things in the measuring world, I remember hardened steel bolts and nuts on my 1967 Datsun PL411 (Bluebird 4-door sedan). They had SAE heads and surfaces on the bolts and nuts, but metric diameters and threads on the shafts and holes. I found this out when I had stripped the head on a bolt, went to the autoparts store for a universal replacement, and got a true metric bolt. The Japanese did this thing because they figured in the 1960's, that most American shops were SAE equipped with few metric tools. By 1969, they discontinued this practice as far as I know.

Regarding one over the other, it is mainly what you are familiar with. I see no real advantage of one over the other. Measuring errors in one is just as bad as errors in measuring in the other.

I suppose if I could have my way, we'd be doing all things in the Base-12 numbering system (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,T,E). This is because with such a system, you can evenly divide by 2, 3, 4, 6, etc. without left over fractional amounts.

Still, I prefer power units of HP over Watts, torque Inch-Ounce over millinewton-metres. I guess it just depends on how you were schooled.
I guess I am just starting to show my age. Old Bugger Tired w/ Coffee Read lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:05 am

Coming along.  I like it better than the Bipe version, looks more conventional.  Think I'll call it "Stubby Cub"  Smile

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014114
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014117

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014115
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014116
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Good work Very Happy Interesting idea Very Happy This Site Rocks!
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:46 pm

Bob, I think you’re landing on “character scale “ with the last two… Fun Very Happy …. I like the rounded Cub tail surfaces…..Are you going to round the wing tips as well?
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:25 pm

rdw777 wrote:Bob, I think you’re landing on “character scale “ with the last two… Fun Very Happy …. I like the rounded Cub tail surfaces…..Are you going to round the wing tips as well?

"Character scale"  I like that! Smile  Might pass for "Cute scale" too.  

Right now I'm using the 12 inch wing that I made for the Airtruk, but I'm thinking more like a 13/14" wing which would be more Cub like especially when I'm adding struts.  

I grooved the backplate for the landing gear wire, still need to split the elevator/horz stab when I decide on dimensions and add the tail skid.  Whole thing gets yellow paint.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014120
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014122
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014121
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014123

Did you ever fly your electric?  Before I try mine I'm gonna need a trailblazer.......... Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:51 am

I don't like cloth hinges but with 1/16" balsa you have little choice although I had thought about removing some under elevator balsa to install pinned Dubros.  

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014124

I decent job can be had by putting a drop of CA on the cloth and immediately wiping with waxed paper just to hold it in place.  Then apply a couple of coats of sanding sealer to the whole assembly.  Hold the elevator and horz stab close together which compresses the fold between the two while it dries, a minute or two.  Makes for a nice tight seam while allowing maximum movement.  Sanding sealer is very sticky and is like applying a light coat of thinned epoxy.  Sand when finished and top coat.  

More custom wheels.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014125
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014126

Rough cut.  Replaced the 12" wing with a 14" and rounded the tips.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014129
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014127
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014128
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:59 am

Hi Bob, I’ve tried to fly it but no bueno….Part of the problem is that as light as the micro switch is on the timer, I still have to give the down line a pretty good jerk to initiate it which usually upsets how it’s sitting for take off…. I may try bypassing the switch and make a leaf type switch to be activated by the pushrod…. All it takes is a touch to start the timer…

If it ever gets airborne it’s crazy pitch sensitive (no surprise) even weighted nose heavy… still messing with it though…. If anything it sparked an idea for a small space CL flyer…. I have a place beside the house just right…. Maybe I’ll try the idea on a little Ringmaster or something….

The Cub is looking great! I like the head on shot… Perfect use for that cowl….It will be a cutie when painted out and the Cub details added…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:10 am

Test phase Robert. Takes a while to iron out the kinks.

Nose heavy is a problem with these stubbies. Sad

Trying to figure the position of the struts and control lines so they don't interfere.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014136
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014135

I believe that I am going to have to use dacron to a single lead-out guide. No wire lead-outs. Still thinking.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 am

Hey RDW777 if its wants to come in on you you could use a strip of wood on the platform ? to keep in place, Kim dose this with the plastics he flys to pull the release . Good job Bob you got it under control over here . Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:05 am

Back down to parts. Final detail sanding paint and reassemble. I couldn't figure out how to do the cabin, finally sprayed it Krylon aluminum then frog tape the windows and over spray with Krylon yellow.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014138
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014137
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:45 pm

Caricature Cub, Nice Very Happy ….. Rounded tips will go well…. Hallmark sells a nice silver tissue that can be used for windows…. Use a glue stick for adhesive…. Would surely have to fuel proof though ….

Thanks Getback for the idea, Yes I’ve seen Kim’s videos and they are very inspirational…. I’ll eventually modify the timer and give it a hair trigger so it doesn’t upset so much on launch..

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:06 pm

rdw777 wrote:Caricature Cub, Nice Very Happy ….. Rounded tips will go well…. Hallmark sells a nice silver tissue that can be used for windows…. Use a glue stick for adhesive…. Would surely have to fuel proof though ….

Thanks Getback for the idea, Yes I’ve seen Kim’s videos and they are very inspirational…. I’ll eventually modify the timer and give it a hair trigger so it doesn’t upset so much on launch..

Robert

Caricature, yes I'm buying it. Eyeballs are a little out of place though. Smile

But you gave me an idea. My aluminum spray just isn't working out and I have made a mess of it. Finishing touches are not my forte along with many other things. This stuff is thin, very adhesive and lays well.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014139

Cut something along these lines. Maybe final overspray of clear.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Cub_co10
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Cub_ca10
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK Piper_12

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:23 pm

How I missed this, I don't know. But I cannot wait to see the finished 'Stubby Cubby'!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:38 am

NEW222 wrote:How I missed this, I don't know. But I cannot wait to see the finished 'Stubby Cubby'!

Everything was going really well until the finishing phase, then the souffle' hit the fan. I won't go into the gorry details but they are significant. The benefit is, I can string it up and fly it into the ground and not be the worse for the experience.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014172
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014174
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014173
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014176
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014177
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014175
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:39 am

Just for fun.

The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014185
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014186
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014184
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014187
The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK P1014188
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next