Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

DPC Models P-38 Cox_ba12

DPC Models P-38 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

DPC Models P-38 Empty
Live on Patrol

DPC Models P-38

Go down

DPC Models P-38 Empty DPC Models P-38

Post  Ken Cook Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:14 pm

I finally got around to starting the P-38. Dave provides a terrific example of a moldie oldie. I  took this out of the packaging last evening while digesting our fabulous dinner provided by my wife. First thing first, I bent up the gear wire. I changed things a bit as the original finished out by turning into the rib. Regardless, I sandwiched the gear wire after roughing it up and cleaning followed by epoxy. I let those sit over night. Dave provides square stock for leading and trailing edges. This stock is to be shaped so don't figure on a shaped leading edge. I left all stock square initially until assembly. I shaped the trailing edge and left the leading edge until it was assembled.

Looking at the plan, I arrived at about 5 degrees. When cutting trailing and leading edges, don't take off any more than needed to acquire the angles. Basically, I ganged all stock up and setting the miter saw to 5 deg, I cut all stock at the same time. Seeing you need lefts and rights, just flip the material over. Now, the most important step, mark all material inboard, outboard, top, bottom. Line up the trailing edge and leading edge over the print and tick off both sides of the rib locations. The rib dadoes are NOT SQUARE to the leading and trailing edge. I used a thin kerf blade in my table saw which is exactly a 1/16" kerf. Using the miter gauge, I set the blade height to 1/8" and cut the dadoes into the leading and trailing edges with the blade set a 5 deg angle. Seeing once again, we have a left and right panel, the dadoes are also handed. Just carefully climb cut in reverse to cut the opposing dadoes. Not exactly a correct practice in harder woods, balsa this is fine. Of course one could use a hacksaw blade and do this manually. I spent more time changing my blade then the actual cuts. Accuracy is at a premium here because with all the angles, this wing won't fit together properly.

I'm quite happy with the product, I would like to see the firewalls a bit wider as the Baby Bee backplate barely makes it onto the face of it. I'm up in the air in regards to replacing them. Fitment is terrific on the parts. I despise using CA. I use Titebond only so I like the challenge of making everything fit tight.  I'm looking forward to finishing.

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3073

Inboard side , plane is on it's gear. Wheels are plywood. I glued them up last night and shaped them in the drill press this morning. Fuse isn't attached, just slipped onto wing for show purpose. The double rib which sandwiches the gear leg is where the fuse gets glued to. Sterling provided a crappy design here. Having the gear leg glued into the ribs means you now have to build the wing upside down. The original provided no sheeting in this area and this kit is no different. This is a must. Either fill in the entire bay or just fill in a 1/2" strip leading edge to trailing edge alongside of the
fuselage and tail booms topside and underside.

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3074 prior to assembly, I marked a centerline on the trailing edge stock. Without planing down the top side, I carefully used the razor plane to shape down the stock across it's face to my centerline. Assuming your dado depths are correct, the trailing edge finishes perfectly to the rib thickness.

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3075

Power will either be Golden Bee or Babe Bees
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

DPC Models P-38 Empty Re: DPC Models P-38

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:38 pm

Nice Ken. Looks like you shaped the leading edge.

Have you seen this electric? Construction perhaps not as nice as yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3yhvtWsJf0
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:13 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Nice Ken.  Looks like you shaped the leading edge.

Have you seen this electric?   Construction perhaps not as nice as yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3yhvtWsJf0

EEEWWWWheee!
that electricnoise wanna make me barf!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:08 pm

That's Airsoft Brenda from Texas. She introduced me to Dave Cowell. Dave cuts great kits. Ken, provide feedback to Dave regarding your concerns about the firewalls. He has adjusted/improved kits based on feedback.
I think the guy's name is Mike Halbrook over on Facebook...his is the silver job on the Sterling plans for this plane at OZ. Halbrook has a few really snazzy Guillows 400 series CL jobs.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:28 am

Didn't Brenda post on here some years ago? We need more women in this hobby. I taught my daughter how to fly but her interests shifted. I really want her to try it again. One afternoon I was flying in a small lot with my son and a woman drove in to watch. She told me her father taught her how to fly and she loved it. I said when was the last time you flew which she replied probably 30 years ago. I told her to grab the handle and she flew my plane which I could see a immediate smile. She finished, thanked me and drove away. I never saw her again but my son always laughs about it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:22 am

@Brenda's last post was May 29, 2015.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5421p25-cox-electric-control-line-aeroplanes#105124

She expressed herself by posting this:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8199-what-other-hobbies#104126

Brenda on May 07, 2015 wrote:I like guns and very large trucks

DPC Models P-38 2015-010
[Brenda's Photobucket photo as "Dirty Harriet"]

DPC Models P-38 2015-011
[Brenda's Photobucket photo, her Deuce and a Half Army truck]
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:38 am

Callie? chessie? Chedde? Something like that. Sold gaskets for McCoys etc.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:50 am

Chellie Romo I believe. I've contacted her via You Tube in the past. I know she surfaced on another stunt forum which didn't seem to be very positive. At least that's the impression I received.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:28 am

@CHELLIE Romo goes by the E-Bay name: https://www.ebay.com/usr/verysassyblond/. She discontinued selling there may be 4 or 5 years ago. I purchased Testor McCoy Red Head .35 gaskets from her. They were of excellent quality, of finer modern gasket material. Her last post here was Jun 12, 2015.

Their disappearance from CEF at about the same time are strictly coincidental. She and Brenda are 2 different people.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:24 pm

Ken,
I keep watching for news regarding the build. How is it coming along?

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:10 am

Essentially, this is a direct copy of the original. That being said, Sterling uses spars which in my opinion were never necessary, this one being no different. All it essentially does at this point is hold the ribs onto it somewhat like a building jig. What it does do is get in the way of the bellcrank. I had to use the small Perfect which I don't care for. Nonetheless, I'm just looking for fun here and nothing more. I had to use solid leadout wire which I also don't like to use. Only reason is that it gets kinked and causes binds when it does. And it rattles in the car on the drive to the field. Currently, at this stage, I need to dig out some more 1/32" balsa for additional sheeting on the wing around the nacelles. I managed to go flying Saturday and yesterday was dedicated to housework. This week should get some more activity.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:24 pm

I've really been dragging on this one. I covered the wings with Polyspan which went terrific until I brushed on the filler coats of clear. Seeing that certain dopes are harder to obtain, I was using Randolph taughtening clear. To combat the strangulation of the model, I add plasticizer to the dope. I usually add the plasticizer to the dope when I'm ready to brush it. My son however, cut the dope 50/50 and added plasticizer. I  thinned it a bit more and added even more plasticizer which did weird stuff to it when it would dry. It would go on beautiful and then it would crinkle. I would sand it down, clean it, brush it again. I couldn't figure out what was going on until my son saw me mixing the clear adding the plasticizer. He said he already added more than enough to it. This took much needed sanding to level it all out and essentially start over. One tends to lose interest real fast when your continuously sanding.

Yesterday, I got a quick blocker coat of white followed by a mist coat of silver. I hate laser cutting, it's virtually impossible to remove all of the charring and it bleeds terribly through a dope paint job. The white over top of the ribs and other areas immensely stops the bleed through.  I don't use primer as I feel it's far too heavy and I've had it peel when using dope. I build up all coats with thinned clear. I don't use talc either for the same reason I don't use primer, it causes adhesion issues. The silver came out real nice.

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3139

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3138

Now to add some more trim and get it in the air. Dave provided some sort of crazy decal sheet. I don't quite understand what it is and it looks pretty cheap so I will forego the kit decals. It say to glue them on with 3M spray adhesive but the backing is already sticky. In addition, it says dope will attack them so that's already a problem. In addition, the color is off but it says when cleared, the colors will darken and pop. Well, clear dope isn't compatible so we will skip the decals and hope for the best.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:48 pm

Four months in Ken, but despite your protests the polyspan wing looks excellent. Got a nice smooth glow to it. You and your son have to to communicate more. Smile

I imagine that your going to clear coat the decals? Have I missed the power plants? I love the sound of sync'd engines.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:55 pm

Sig has always been my go to dope. Currently, there's essentially none as Sig apparently is moving and essentially has no stock. I hope this isn't a sign of the times but I feel it is. They tell me they will offer it when finally moved but I won't be holding my breath. I waited for almost 18 months just to get 2 qts of thinner. I combined whatever I had laying around . Sig Lite Coat is thicker than molasses. My son was essentially combining what ever small amounts we had into one large glass jar. Basically, one four ounce bottle of Lite Coat makes nearly 12 ounces of material.

Decals won't be present on this model as I stated, they're some weird ink jet decal on a vinyl backing. it says not to clear over them with dope and the decal has a white background. They look like something one would see on a cheap model. I will just paint on some additional trim colors like blue tips and some anti glaring for the canopy.

Power is going to be Babe Bees or Golden Bees. The ground clearance is limited so I purchased some Master Airscrew three blade props. I'm very uncertain with these props. They look cheap . They don't look like they're for nitro and the hole in the prop is quite large. The thickness is off so the prop screw bottoms out which is also concerning. I mean design something that works guys. Currently, tractor three bladers are hard to come by. I had about 20 Cox three blade props, all of them when flexed cracked.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:36 pm

In my opinion the P-38 wears blue very well, as you mention on the insides of the naceiles and top of the fuselage.  I have seen an air show P-38 painted that way.  

I never had a problem with Cox three blades, 5/3's I think.  Used them for years.  Wish I knew that Master Airscrew made them in that range.  I have several but in largers sizes.  Sharp edges though.

DPC Models P-38 P1015249

DPC Models P-38 2_p-3810
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:02 pm

I'm digging this build, Ken. Good for you! Sweet looking plane.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:15 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                 Didn't Brenda post on here some years ago? We need more women in this hobby. I taught my daughter how to fly but her interests shifted. I really want her to try it again. One afternoon I was flying in a small lot with my son and a woman drove in to watch. She told me her father taught her how to fly and she loved it. I said when was the last time you flew which she replied probably 30 years ago. I told her to grab the handle and she flew my plane which I could see a immediate smile. She finished, thanked me and drove away. I never saw her again but my son always laughs about it.

I would have drove after her, until I found her Ken. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:42 pm

Perhaps something we grew up with as kids, that may help explain the the way things are, and why we see the less thereof? Huh...

Old English Nursery Rhyme:
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:52 pm

Well, here I am another month almost two out and still not done. Many things have taken place over the past two months. One very positive is my daughter graduated college and I can't be happier for her. She's a outstanding student and her grades were impeccable. I'm very proud of her she's a talented young lady.

I decided to put some rocket blue on the plane. This has really been a neat little project. It has consumed a lot of paint time. One may not think so, but there's a lot of sanding and clear on this model not too mention the masking and back masking. It becomes tiresome and I'm looking forward to seeing it fly now. The plane will get two more clear coats for a final to lock down the trim colors and she's ready for the air.

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3140

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3141

DPC Models P-38 Dscn3142
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:09 am

I like your color scheme Ken, and that silver cover over taunt ribs is beautiful.  P-38's rule for me.

It's sister in theme arrived on my morning internet feed.

DPC Models P-38 F-82_d10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:58 am

Ken, The smooth and sheen you were able to achieve on the silver is very convincing to aluminum…. Makes the blue really stand out!…. Painting with model aircraft finishes that are fuel proof and getting a good result is definitely an art…. I can lay tissue OK but painting, Not so much…. I’ve got a few ancient bottles of Aergloss colored dope I would like try some day though….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down