Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Cox_ba12

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by rsv1cox Today at 7:36 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:11 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Empty
Live on Patrol

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane)

Go down

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Empty Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane)

Post  Kim Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:47 am

The first in a series I'm calling "Kim's Greatest Hits", as I gather various smacks and crash footage from the past decade or so.

Nostalgia and it's resulting drive for fulfillment of childhood "gonna do that some day" bucket lists still goes on.

This is one of those pursuits from 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLHZYXOdBJg&t=3s

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 0_138
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 0_619
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 0_815
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 2_202
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 3_137
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 7_67
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 11_50
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 12_40
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 13_34
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 15_35
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 16_1110

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 38_14
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 40_28
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 43_14
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 50_33
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 51_24
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Empty Re: Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane)

Post  balogh Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:01 am

Too bad, Kim, it is always saddening to see a nice airplane damaged..this 2018 footage seems to have been shot in a neighborhood much more densely populated than what the farm your recent videos were shot at look..have you moved to a new location?

BTW we look quite similar, at least from behind, when flying our RC planes lol!  Hand Shake :

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Image-10

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 16_1110
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Empty Re: Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane)

Post  getback Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:09 am

lol! lol! I Love This Forum! Got a good laugh out of me, sorry but you know how it is when its someone else >< And its all in fun , not much damage ! So you lived across from a church *Like our good friend Rusty * RC Plane The BOT has been through a lot just from what i have seen . you almost had it though i really thought it would have been on release instead of landing with the falter . Thabnks as Always Kim !! Hand Shake Clapping
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:25 am

balogh wrote:Too bad, Kim, it is always saddening to see a nice airplane damaged..this 2018 footage seems to have been shot in a neighborhood much more densely populated than what the farm your recent videos were shot at look..have you moved to a new location?

BTW we look quite similar, at least  from behind, when flying our RC planes lol!  Hand Shake

[/url]

Hey Andras!!! cheers cheers
Yep, we got the same stance AND hair color!!!!

Yeah, the B.O.T.'S had its share of adventures and mishaps, but the only way for me NOT to crash is not to fly.  It's got new wing covering, needs it's stabilator hinge tube reworked, and I want to go ahead an put a Spekrum radio in it for this summer's S.M.A.L.L. Fun-Fly.

The place is my hometown, about an hour from where I live now, and my brother and I still own the lot where our childhood home stood, though the old house is long gone.   He keeps the property nicely mown, and I often take my camper over there (just left of center in the photo) for short stays, riding my bicycle around when I'm not making racket with my planes.

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Olmste10

The town, like so many others, used to be a hub of activity, with three grocery stores, train depot, and two garages.  Everything is gradually disappearing now, but I still remember the excitement of Saturday mornings when everybody would come to town for groceries and farm supplies.  I'd be in the middle of it, selling Grit newspapers from the saddle of my Schwinn "Stingray".  A great childhood there.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:36 am

I got the biggest kick out of those two pictures Andras and Kim. Two peas in a pod.

and..........

I'd be in the middle of it, selling Grit newspapers from the saddle of my Schwinn "Stingray". A great childhood there.

I sold Grit back in the 1950's @ ten cents a copy, only on a Columbia (Niagara) bicycle. Gave my son a Schwinn Stingray for Christmas.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:40 am

Kim that small community with brothers and friends sharing the same hobby, all staying in contact for a lifetime  no matter where they  move or settle down  is small town America life that I have been longing for...reminds me of Tom Petty's Going Down South, if you know what I mean...maybe in my next life unless I reincarnate as a snail or something.. Hand Shake
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:48 am

getback wrote:lol! lol! I Love This Forum! Got a good laugh out of me, sorry but you know how it is when its someone else ><  And its all in fun , not much damage ! So you lived across from a church *Like our good friend Rusty * RC Plane  The BOT has been through a lot just from what i have seen . you almost had it though i really thought it would have been on release instead of landing with the falter . Thabnks as Always Kim !! Hand Shake Clapping

Yeah, I should have kept forward stick on that landing.  I turned too tightly over main street and came out a little high, so was trying to dump altitude as it went for the back yard.  I can land it and the big B.O.T. at pretty high speed as long as I plow it on smoothly, but let off the stick just a bit, and it pitched up into that wire.

On that messed up takeoff, I broke the very rule I used to preach at student pilots---NEVER TRUST YOUR DEPTH PERCEPTION!!!.  i thought I'd passed that one little tree, and was just starting feed in left rudder to make the turn out like before...but WHACK!

We used to wait for the church to let out before flying our control line planes in the ball field next to it, and I still launch a plane from it once in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW2Dn1JZUbs
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:05 am

rsv1cox wrote:I got the biggest kick out of those two pictures Andras and Kim.  Two peas in a pod.  

and..........

I'd be in the middle of it, selling Grit newspapers from the saddle of my Schwinn "Stingray".  A great childhood there.

I sold Grit back in the 1950's @ ten cents a copy, only on a Columbia (Niagara) bicycle.  Gave my son a Schwinn Stingray for Christmas.  

Yeah, GRIT was my very first "employer"...it was 15 cents a copy when I sold it, getting a nickle from each sale.  Along with it boosting my model airplane budget, I was able to save enough nickles to buy my Stingray, and even took a photo of it with my first camera...one of "The Fabulous Prizes" they'd occasionally send me.  I ran the tread off those tires.

As can be seen, I sometimes forgot to advance the film! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Stingr10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:26 am

balogh wrote:Kim that small community with brothers and friends sharing the same hobby, all staying in contact for a lifetime  no matter where they  move or settle down  is small town America life that I have been longing for...reminds me of Tom Petty's Going Down South, if you know what I mean...maybe in my next life unless I reincarnate as a snail or something.. Hand Shake

Yes, we were EXTREMELY fortunate to spend our childhoods there...though at the time, didn't really appreciate it...thinking that that's just how it was.  Like most kids, I dreamed of traveling and seeing other places, and have been mostly able to do that, but am still emotionally anchored to this little town.  Every once in a while, for just a millisecond or so, I get to be 13 again, and remember some of those moments...sometimes helped along by a squalling .049.

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Cox_qz14
Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) Scan211
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:43 pm

Neat stories and memories Kim, Yes model airplanes have a neat way to bring those back…..I’m enjoying playing with some of the engines I’ve had since I was a kid…

One more for the flying while photoed from behind club….

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) 56145110
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  radman615 Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:14 pm

Thats was a pretty nice bird to do that to!!!
radman615
radman615

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:28 am

Kim wrote:
Sergeant Saunders - "I'm OK Kirby, it's just a flesh wound." (1960's TV Combat series) lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:16 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:
Sergeant Saunders - "I'm OK Kirby, it's just a flesh wound." (1960's TV Combat series) lol!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Yeah, over the past 22 years, the B.O.T.'s had it share of Hard Knocks!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 am

Don't know how I missed this thread the first time around -- I suspect it was when I was on the road working.

The old BOT looked to be in relatively good shape from its encounter with the tree and other obstacles -- I know how you feel since I've been there, done that, done that, done that, ...... Well, you get the idea.

Olmstead has gone the route of many small towns in western KY, SE Missouri and southern Illinois; my hometown (closest to where I grew up) is no exception. Saturdays were always bustling with rural folks coming to town to shop and visit on the streets. Unfortunately, today, a traffic jam is seeing two cars moving at any point in time and there seems to be more places empty than occupied.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:39 pm

Andrew, I know the feeling. We aren't quite as desolate, town now 38,000 people including cows, dogs and cats. One day I came in to work 10 minutes late. My boss asked me what happened. I told him I got caught up in the Clovis rush hour traffic. Laughing

Speaking of your abbreviation, BOT (Bird of Time) - if one were to downsize it to 1/4-A size, they could call it the BOTfly? lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:26 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:

Speaking of your abbreviation, BOT (Bird of Time) - if one were to downsize it to 1/4-A size, they could call it the BOTfly? lol!

Great One George!!! lol! lol! lol! I'm stealing it!!!!
------------------------------------------------
Andrew: "Don't know how I missed this thread the first time around -- I suspect it was when I was on the road working.

The old BOT looked to be in relatively good shape from its encounter with the tree and other obstacles -- I know how you feel since I've been there, done that, done that, done that, ...... Well, you get the idea.

Olmstead has gone the route of many small towns in western KY, SE Missouri and southern Illinois; my hometown (closest to where I grew up) is no exception. Saturdays were always bustling with rural folks coming to town to shop and visit on the streets. Unfortunately, today, a traffic jam is seeing two cars moving at any point in time and there seems to be more places empty than occupied.

----------------------------------------------------
Yes, the last business in town...a restaurant... (basically a large, double-wide trailer) has finally closed.  In the years of the massive locks & dam construction project on the Ohio river---'bout 2 miles away---it did a pretty lively business, and held on 'til the past 4 years as it slowly ground down.

My younger brother still lives there and works for the Corps of Engineers who operate the dam.  He got really ticked off years ago when a Corps spokesman outlined what it could do for the town, but was turned down by the City Fathers...Big Frogs in fear of losing control of their little pond. lol! Welcome to Southern Illinois!

But it's still a great place for me to visit and, as member in good standing of the "Olmsted Historical Society", I will be proudly flipping pancakes or frying bacon on April 1st as part of their "Pancake Breakfast Fund-Raiser".
You ought to come on over Andrew...I'll make sure you get an extra pancake for free!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:36 pm

And Also:  The BOT has since been repaired from its "incident", but badly needs its stabilator hinge pin area reworked as it it's REALLY wobbly!  Fuel-soaked after 2 decades of castor bathing is gonna make it a challenge!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:52 pm

Kim wrote:And Also:  The BOT has since been repaired from its "incident", but badly needs its stabilator hinge pin area reworked as it it's REALLY wobbly!  Fuel-soaked after 2 decades of castor bathing is gonna make it a challenge!!!
But Kim, you've repaired worse. Challenging? Yes. Impossible? No. Once completed, you'll breath a sigh of relief. Looking forward some time future to see a BOTfly accompanying the Mud Dabber. Wink
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:39 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:And Also:  The BOT has since been repaired from its "incident", but badly needs its stabilator hinge pin area reworked as it it's REALLY wobbly!  Fuel-soaked after 2 decades of castor bathing is gonna make it a challenge!!!
But Kim, you've repaired worse. Challenging? Yes. Impossible? No. Once completed, you'll breath a sigh of relief. Looking forward some time future to see a BOTfly accompanying the Mud Dabber. Wink

Thanks George!  
Yeah, it'll happen...just got to get some MoJo aimed at it.  It actually got quickly repaired and flew quite a bit more before that wobbling stabilator spooked me enough to ground it.  

Considering its age (23+ years in my possession) from the day I spied it with a broken wing at a swap meet in 1999, it's been a pretty good deal.

And...thinking it's time to put a Spektrum receiver in the old dog too (Mud Dabber has already been converted).  Hard to believe, but I'm really taking an affection toward these new (for me) systems.

Super Dog Chelsea and the 2M B.O.T. back in the summer of 2000, packing a Walmart Kodak returnable camera on its nose.

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) B_o_t_20

I used copious amounts of strapping tape to make sure I wouldn't lose my little cardboard camera:

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) B_o_t_21

One Flight = One Photo.  I usually waited 'till the B.O.T.'s Black Widow had shut down and the B.O.T.'s glide established before clicking the vibration-sensitive film camera.

Bad Day for the B.O.T. (Bird of Time Sailplane) B_o_t_19

And while I'm doing all this Ego Puffing Flash-Back Stuff, here it is back in 2012 with "The Traveling Propeller":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtwPhcQZQGQ

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down