Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Cox_ba12

Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed?

Go down

Help! Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed?

Post  stushug Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:29 pm

I have a Cox Thimble Drome from the late 40's/early 50's car that I bought on ebay years ago. Aside from needing painted and replacement handbrake and basic cleanup, it is missing what looks like an end cap for the rear axle. I was wondering if anyone on here knows where I can source replacement caps or if there is an alternate method for capping off these axles. I have several Prop Rods and they used screw on caps. I should mention that this is a coaster model, NO engine. Thanks in advance for any help!
I wanted to post some pictures, but I didn't see an option to do so.
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed?

Post  crankbndr Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:41 pm

This setup?
Nevermind, I didn't read enough
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:29 pm

you can use the "search" function for some results: Pictures like these?
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t9847-thimble-drome-cars-without-engine

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:55 pm

stushug wrote:I wanted to post some pictures, but I didn't see an option to do so.
May be your low post count of only 1. @Admin added some safeguards to new posters to discourage spammers, several days after first post for photo privileges. Your profile says created 2015, but only 1 post, did you sign up 7 years ago? That would be my guess.

Give it a little time, and the options should be enabled.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stushug Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:10 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
stushug wrote:I wanted to post some pictures, but I didn't see an option to do so.
May be your low post count of only 1. @Admin added some safeguards to new posters to discourage spammers, several days after first post for photo privileges. Your profile says created 2015, but only 1 post, did you sign up 7 years ago? That would be my guess.

Give it a little time, and the options should be enabled.

My car looks exactly like the second car in that group of pictures. The black Thimble Drome #81.
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:18 pm

stushug wrote:My car looks exactly like the second car in that group of pictures. The black Thimble Drome #81.
This one?

jmcalata on Jun 10, 2016 wrote:Hi friends, I buy this beautifuls cars and don´t know the story, how does works? by hand? or pulling a cord? [...] The best black with pan floor
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Black_10
Sorry, can't help you with axle details because I don't own one, but I believe a few here have these and perhaps will chime in.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stushug Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:22 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
stushug wrote:My car looks exactly like the second car in that group of pictures. The black Thimble Drome #81.
This one?

jmcalata on Jun 10, 2016 wrote:Hi friends, I buy this beautifuls cars and don´t know the story, how does works? by hand? or pulling a cord? [...] The best black with pan floor
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Black_10
Sorry, can't help you with axle details because I don't own one, but I believe a few here have these and perhaps will chime in.

That's it, mine is the same car with #75.
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:46 pm

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:36 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stushug Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:00 pm

Thanks to all who answered my questions. Rather than dump any money into the car, I decided to sell it. It sold on ebay today.
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:04 am

stushug wrote:Thanks to all who answered my questions. Rather than dump any money into the car, I decided to sell it. It sold on ebay today.

Thanks for letting us know! I see you have a couple of Cox planes too!!
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Scree236
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Scree237
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stushug Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:09 am

Yes, two planes and two Second generation (plastic bottom) Prop Rods.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854024472?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854021886?

Last edited by stushug on Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:50 am

stushug wrote:Yes, two planes and two Second generation (plastic bottom) Prop Rods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854024472

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854021886
Actually, you can leave off all the Google tracking info after the item number and "?" . The link will still work.

Extra info contains a lot of embedded info about you.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stushug Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:09 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
stushug wrote:Yes, two planes and two Second generation (plastic bottom) Prop Rods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854024472

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854021886
Actually, you can leave off all the Google tracking info after the item number and "?" . The link will still work.

Extra info contains a lot of embedded info about you.
Wow! I did not realize that. It's fixed now. Thanks  GG!!
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:35 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854024472?
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? S-l16012
Item image added.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165854021886?
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? S-l16013
Item image added.
Added the item images, helps for future discussion looking back, because E-Bay now expires them shortly after auction is completed, whereas they used to let them persist a while. Also, the historical details in photos helps others to complete theirs, when they are missing items or need to repair items to original appearances.

Looks like something happened to the second car (heat damage or owner repair not cleanly done?).
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? S-l16014

It is good that you were honest in your presentation of the item.

Hijacked
I've had a few instances of dishonesty in descriptions and photos. One is of a mid 1970's K&B .35 Stallion engine, including my restoration work described in:

CEF 3-Sep-18: K&B .35 Stallion Acquisition
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? 2018-031

There was a misrepresentation in the description. Someone had bead blasted the engine to clean up the exterior, then claimed it to be earlier casting imperfections (due to the "pre-WW2" technology of the day). After further research, I found that it was not an engine of the 1950's, K&B produced it from 1964 to 1978. Mine was after 1974 because of the thicker exhaust port web used to mount a moving exhaust choke baffle on the R/C version for reliable idle without muffler. (C/L version had the web not drilled.) The engine suffered from severe signs of water moisture corrosion. I was able to restore it to running condition since the damage was superficial.

CEF 15-Apr-22 Re: Prop Rod engine screws and restoration

In this post, I mention of how I received resolution on another sale misrepresentation on an Enya .35-III TV that I purchased. The seller put a standard ANSI thread (you know, American standard threaded nut) that slid overtop the Enya's metric prop shaft, to photographically appear that the prop nut section was complete. Fortunately in this small town, there are still genuine people. The local hardware store rep. saw my predicament when I stopped by their sales desk, went to his bin. He told me that he had this bulk package of M7x1.0 metric nuts for a long time but never a sale. Opened it up and gave me 4 nuts at no charge.
Cox Thimble Drome Car axle caps needed? Enya3510

I've had a few other instances over the years. One was a widow who was selling her husband's things, because her reduced annuity from him was meager. She made an honest mistake in shipping me the wrong engine (an OS Pet .099). She had 2, I received the less preferred (but in better condition) .099-III venturi 1966 later version, not the 1959 .099-II steel fin R/C version.

The other engine, the steel fin, buyer willingly accepted to kept the other item. We negotiated a reasonable settlement, she gave me a slight price break and I kept the item. This is one instance where there was no willful malfeasance. It will make a nice C/L engine on a slightly larger than half-A C/L plane.

Another case, I bought a saxophone case from a so-called high volume seller on the east coast. But, the description was deceptive. It did not fit my soprano sax as claimed. I gave a neutral comment, but the seller got peeved at me, messaged me she was deeply angered at my alleged dishonesty toward her (the lying [BLEEP] Censored [BLEEP] [BLEEP] Thumbs Down ). The bay granted her a "GET OUT OF JAIL CARD", Roddie and deleted my comment,  Sad even though I have hundreds of positive comments regarding my purchases. Doh! As a result, I have been more cautious about my purchases. I will never buy another plug nickel from this seller.  No! It also made me to "BEWARE OF AUCTIONEER".  Devil  Paranoid  
Back To Topic

Please don't get me wrong, I've also had a number of success stories with honest sellers and auction return resolution. Thank You  Stereo

But, the words, "buyer beware" still holds true in my books. I read comment feedback, and out of the negative and neutral ones, if I see a pattern (not just a problem buyer rant), I steer clear of that seller.

But again, it is good that you have been honest in your descriptions, including the photo of the less than perfect prop rod canopy. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stushug Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:09 pm

I have never knowingly posted incorrect info on any of my items. I don't need the hassle. As a matter of fact, I just issued a return on an item, the first time I ever had to do it since I've been on ebay(20+ years.) The buyer claims there are problems with a vintage stereo receiver I sold him. It was working perfectly when I packed it, so something must have happened in shipping. I've sold other items in the past that were non-working, but listed them as non-working, for parts or repair. The crap I've dealt with on this one return is not worth it. I'll figure out why this item failed the buyer and possibly re-sell it.
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:22 pm

stushug wrote: I have never knowingly posted incorrect info on any of my items. I don't need the hassle. As a matter of fact, I just issued a return on an item, the first time I ever had to do it since I've been on ebay(20+ years.) The buyer claims there are problems with a vintage stereo receiver I sold him. It was working perfectly when I packed it, so something must have happened in shipping. I've sold other items in the past that were non-working, but listed them as non-working, for parts or repair. The crap I've dealt with on this one return is not worth it. I'll figure out why this item failed the buyer and possibly re-sell it.
I hear you, and my comment wasn't directed toward you, @stushug but a rant in general. We are like a family here, and share our victories as well as some of our griefs.

I gather you may have encountered someone with buyer's remorse, and just as there are dishonest sellers, so too there are dishonest buyers, too.

Doing social services interviews for my favorite charity, I meet all types. Some are very grateful, some are so-so, some, "I hope the door doesn't hit you in the behind on the way out". Roddie

We live in interesting times, and it has made me realize my home is not here, but laid up eternally. sunny
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stushug Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:30 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
stushug wrote: I have never knowingly posted incorrect info on any of my items. I don't need the hassle. As a matter of fact, I just issued a return on an item, the first time I ever had to do it since I've been on ebay(20+ years.) The buyer claims there are problems with a vintage stereo receiver I sold him. It was working perfectly when I packed it, so something must have happened in shipping. I've sold other items in the past that were non-working, but listed them as non-working, for parts or repair. The crap I've dealt with on this one return is not worth it. I'll figure out why this item failed the buyer and possibly re-sell it.
I hear you, and my comment wasn't directed toward you, @stushug but a rant in general. We are like a family here, and share our victories as well as some of our griefs.

I gather you may have encountered someone with buyer's remorse, and just as there are dishonest sellers, so too there are dishonest buyers, too.

Doing social services interviews for my favorite charity, I meet all types. Some are very grateful, some are so-so, some, "I hope the door doesn't hit you in the behind on the way out". Roddie

We live in interesting times, and it has made me realize my home is not here, but laid up eternally. sunny
I know you weren't commenting on me, I just thought I'd share my own little story!
stushug
stushug
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down