Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

SIG Manufacturing Cox_ba12

SIG Manufacturing Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 9:54 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:35 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 7:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

SIG Manufacturing Empty
Live on Patrol

SIG Manufacturing

Go down

SIG Manufacturing Empty SIG Manufacturing

Post  andrew Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:34 am

I had seen some comments online that SIG Manufacturing was for sale.  However, this was posted on their website, although I don't know the date.

SIG IS NOT CLOSING OR FOR SALE!!!!!!
I have become aware of the concerns that SIG is closing. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I resumed ownership of SIG in June of 2022. SIG is reorganizing and relocating to a more modern facility. We will continue providing ARFs, Kits, etc. to the Hobby Industry. I am excited about all the new products for 2023. Your patience and understanding through this process is greatly appreciated!

FOLLOW THE LEGEND!

Best Regards,

Herb Rizzo

It would be a shame if one of the original powerhouses of the modeling world disappeared.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

SIG Manufacturing Empty Re: SIG Manufacturing

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:41 am

Basically reading between the lines, the hobby is downsizing. Gone are the days when internationally, kits were sold in the tens of thousands per month for each kit. The facilities at their current location do not support current scaled down demands. I gather that too, although SIG has invested in newer equipment, the older equipment is probably at or near the end of its service life and is more labor intensive to support current production demands. With changes in computer technology, even CNC (computerized numerical control) equipment can be obsoleted quicker than normal scheduled equipment replacement intervals.

Being older facilities, to upgrade them to be more energy efficient and sustainable to reduce operating costs would be probably more expensive than to tear down and build new. Also, any major renovation requires strict adherence to the new building codes, especially the fire codes. For example, fire sprinklering may require them to replace the incoming water lines upsized to support the extra required water flow. They may also have to add or upgrade on-site water storage (i.e., water tank) if the city water supply cannot support the quantities required if a fire occurred.

The age of the buried pipes in the ground may require replacement, if they are near or beyond their reasonable service life. That can add up quickly for additional work required on old buildings versus incorporating as new. It also complicates subdividing and subleasing. The oversized facilities means they pay an additional burden in business property taxes. They can use the sale of the properties to offset the cost of their new facilities.

Here in NM and TX Panhandle, there are a lot of industrial / business buildings that are metal framed with false store fronts in attractive brick. With wide open framing can easily be reconfigured with partition walls and drop in ceilings, etc. Going new, they can lay out their facilities layout to more efficiently operate and hopefully remain profitable, plus reconfigure as necessary to support business direction.

For survivability, I am sure they are doing the right thing.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:56 am

I remember reading somewhere that about 2 years ago Sig had a small fire?
Someone said it was set by an ex-employee?
Maybe it was because of the old machinery?

Who knows?

As for downsizing ----- everything is downsizing.

Yesterday I got my parts order from Enya and they are not exactly like they were (quality wise) from Enya.
I'll post the problems with the parts on a separate posting.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi All,
Balsa trees are still growing...
The new tech on windmill blades do not need balsa anymore...
Same with other industries, they found other alternatives than balsa.
SIG had a fire, lost some stock...
They are re-organizing...
No big deal...
As, Alfred E. Newman said:
"What, me Worry?"
I have faith,
SIG will rise again,
Best balsa kits so far...
And they saved the new lazers ?
Game on,
I will support them,

With respect,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:38 pm

lazers?

like Sharks? with frikkn' Lazers???

Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84ELb_Zms4
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:31 pm

sosam117 wrote:I remember reading somewhere that about 2 years ago Sig had a small fire? Someone said it was set by an ex-employee? Maybe it was because of the old machinery? Who knows?
Sterling Models facilities campus in Pennsylvania suffered a fire, destroying much. I don't know what ever the official findings were. The old York Tires business, a long standing local reputable company, suffered a major fire a couple years ago, taking out the whole business. An old grain processing building near the railroad tracks that was out of service and utilities turned off, also suffered a facilities destroy fire, also damaged a couple nearby businesses and destroyed vehicles parked nearby. Appears these may have been acts of vandalism, don't know the official outcome of investigation. This is where modern video recording and monitoring systems help to determine cause, as long as the data is stored off-site.

Problem with fire is it is so thorough in its destruction.

sosam117 wrote:As for downsizing ----- everything is downsizing.
Some have referred to it as "right sizing".

sosam117 wrote:Yesterday I got my parts order from Enya and they are not exactly like they were (quality wise) from Enya.
I'll post the problems with the parts on a separate posting.
It would interest me to learn what. I guess that Ken Enya is retired and old enough not to be as actively involved perhaps, plus distanced from new company management? You mentioned a little while back that Enya was purchased by another company. Perhaps that company is similar in its actions to MECOA here, with a hobby interest, but lacking the skilled labor force that once existed before?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:16 pm

Here is the link to my recent order from Enya.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16899-received-my-enya-parts-order-not-exactly-enya-s-top-quality#218189

And the problems that I received with my order.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:17 pm

Hi cstatman,
SIG has bypassed the shark to mount the lazer on.
Tried the SeaBass, but too cheap....and corny according to Mike Myers.
Not sure,
A sturgeon could be stable...
All I know,
I will support SIG,

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

SIG Manufacturing Empty would they make the controll line models again?

Post  cmulder Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:00 pm

The models i would like to buy (again) are the acromaster, buster and the shoestring.
Used to fly those and enjoyed them a lot.

But i doubd there is a big enough demand for them and even then the aditional cost of shipping
might make then too expensive...

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:39 pm

cmulder wrote:The models i would like to buy (again) are the acromaster, buster and the shoestring.
Used to fly those and enjoyed them a lot.

Currently, SIG shows almost all kits as "Sold Out", however, under Control line kit parts, they still show plans available for your three listed models. Whether they are in a position to ship the plans is another question altogether -- a phone call might be in order.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:36 pm

I've been waiting almost 7 months for black and white dope. I get the same response every email, 2 more weeks. The last few emails this month have had no response.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:46 pm

Keeping the name, selling off the assets. Shed the property tax liability and personal property(inventory) taxes, business taxes,  local taxes, state taxes,oh don't forget the IRS !!OSHA ! EPA!? you've got VOC??  OBoy we got rules for you!! Ya can't afford to stay in business without something to sell to help pay wages and taxes..on very thin profit margins.
SIG Manufacturing Scree240
SIG Manufacturing Scree241
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:29 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I've been waiting almost 7 months for black and white dope. I get the same response every email, 2 more weeks. The last few emails this month have had no response.

Unfortunatey, if you need the dope bad enough, you can get it from Brodak.
The Insignia White and Jet Black Butyrate dope in either the pint cans or the 4oz. bottles?

16 oz. pint cans
https://brodak.com/brodak-paint-16-oz.html

4 oz. bottles
https://brodak.com/brodak-paint-4oz.html
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:20 am

Brodak dope has virtually no fuel resistance to it which I don't care for. In addition, it doesn't take well to brushing as it's thinner is faster then Sig. Sig thinner is a much slower drying thinner and isn't susceptible to blushing and brush streaking as is Brodak. Using Brodak over Sig base has caused me exceptional problems when masking off trim areas. When the tape is removed, the trim color peels as well. I strongly feel this is the thinner issue as the Brodak doesn't melt enough into the Sig base causing it too lift with the tape. I've also had the Brodak flash over quickly trapping the solvents underneath which causes cratering in the Sig base clearcoats. I've gone the other way around and use Sig very successfully over Brodak and this was also recommended by John Brodak himself when his dope storage garage caught fire. I'm currently doing a P-51 with invasion stripes and all the masking and taping is a pain in the rear. The last thing I need is compatibility issues.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:18 am

Ken Cook wrote:Brodak dope has virtually no fuel resistance to it which I don't care for. In addition, it doesn't take well to brushing as it's thinner is faster then Sig. Sig thinner is a much slower drying thinner and isn't susceptible to blushing and brush streaking as is Brodak. Using Brodak over Sig base has caused me exceptional problems when masking off trim areas. When the tape is removed, the trim color peels as well. I strongly feel this is the thinner issue as the Brodak doesn't melt enough into the Sig base causing it too lift with the tape. I've also had the Brodak flash over quickly trapping the solvents underneath which causes cratering in the Sig base clearcoats. I've gone the other way around and use Sig very successfully over Brodak and this was also recommended by John Brodak himself when his dope storage garage caught fire.  I'm currently doing a P-51 with invasion stripes and all the masking and taping is a pain in the rear. The last thing I need is compatibility issues.

Thanks for the information.
I have quart cans and bottles of the old Aerodyne Aero Gloss dope and thinner.
Tightening and non-tightening. (Butyrate and Nitrate dope)
I cover my planes in the old Monokote and dope the engine areas to seal it.
Never had to dope an entire plane in years.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum