Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Crash Free Friday Cox_ba12

Crash Free Friday Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:26 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by robot797 Today at 12:12 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Crash Free Friday Empty
Live on Patrol

Crash Free Friday

Go down

Happy Crash Free Friday

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:28 am

Crash free friday, and I did fly my planes. lol! Five flights total with my new plane Ive built and designed and no crashes if you dont count a powered touch and go ( no wheels ), it was like a flying a lawnmower! The grass is about 2 inches high on the oval and lush green. Grass was going everywhere. It was fairly calm this morning so I figured I would use my 52 ft. .008 steel lines as I really like the extra sky. I was using my Combo 049 ( Surestart crankcase, TD cylinder, Killer Bee Crank, standard plug) for the first two flights but there really was no tension and it was coming back at me too much and a crash was going to be inevitable. ( I have made up a set of 42 ft .008 steel lines this afternoon, ready for tomorrow ) So I changed the engine over to a TD 049 for the last three flights and the TD was much better. Still had some moments though. Probably caused by me Wink

I was practicing horizontal eights and inverted in each flight and was able to do consecutive eights and lengthen the inverted distance. This could be completely the wrong way to go about doing the horizontal eights but knowing no better, this is how I have found by trial and error a way of doing them reasonably safely and drama free. I fly the plane around level at about 5 ft. and just as I come into the wind I do the half loop to get inverted and by the time it is inverted its got the cross wind keeping the lines tight and then just as I come into the wind whilst inverted I do the half loop to get back to normal flight and as the plane does that and levels out it has the cross wind keeping the lines tight.

I also performed some very unplanned maneuvers by trying to start the eights up really high. Doing that, brought the plane very much toward being up over my head and I was very fortunate several times not to plant the jigger! But luckily I think Im just starting to feed the controls the correct way by reaction when inverted and or the plane is not going where I had intended :-) . I tried coming out of inverted several times by trying to do wingovers from inverted and then feed it back to normal flight as it came over the top. Although I didnt crash doing them, it was pure luck I didnt as they went badly wrong each time. I did my first loop (inside loop?) towards the ground and around when I was trying to do a Wingover from inverted to get back to normal flight. It was my own fault as always. I didnt think it through before I did it and had the plane overhead completely with the wind wrong and it seemed to want to fall out of the sky. I ended up doing the other type of loop and levelled it out and decided after that I should practice nice level flight till it ran out fuel. :-) Thumbs Up The new plane flys really well and is built from a single sheet of 2mm balsa. I am drawing it up properly at the moment, so as that I can track the changes I make to the plane and how they impact flight.

Crash Free Friday T110

The rubber band engine mounts work really well for me. I can change an engine over so easily and quickly. The TD seemed fine running without pressure and didnt miss a beat whilst doing the horizontal eights etc. I know the consensus is they need pressure but thought I would swap it over and see how it goes. Went fine. I am certainly no physicist but I wonder if the small half ounce tank made it easier to draw the fuel. Normally I use a tank that is a wedge and just under an ounce.

All in all, it was a very successful day and heaps fun flying session. Thumbs Up If the wind does the right thing for me tomorrow morning I will go try again. Although Im a bit wary now of pushing my luck. Lol. Says me. Who used to say when racing bikes, If you dont crash now and then, you arent trying hard enough ( or going fast enough ). Its a bit of a nice novelty to go flying and do some stuff like the eights etc, and not have to build a new plane when I get home! sunny Thumbs Up

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Crash Free Friday

Post  rdw777 Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:55 am

That’s really cool Yabby Very Happy ….. Congratulations on the successful flights and getting the plane home the same way it left!!!….. That’s one of the exciting things about model airplanes, There’s a bit of risk associated with it but very satisfying when everything works out! I think it’s neat you’re flying that little plane on that length of line… When you get it drawn up please post its dimensions and weight…. Great attitude you have too Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:45 am

rdw777 wrote:That’s really cool Yabby Very Happy ….. Congratulations on the successful flights and getting the plane home the same way it left!!!….. That’s one of the exciting things about model airplanes, There’s a bit of risk associated with it but very satisfying when everything works out! I think it’s neat you’re flying that little plane on that length of line… When you get it drawn up please post its dimensions and weight…. Great attitude you have too Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Robert

Thanks Robert Thumbs Up Its taken almost 62 years but Im finally learning to do something for the simple joy of doing it. :-) This forum is a great part of it for me also as it fills the place of a model club. I can post and reply and read stuff about the models and engines and peoples ideas and what they are building and all of the stuff involved. My Mum now 86 is the one who had the idea of getting me the Cox PT 19 for Christmas when I was about 12. I flew models till I got a motorbike and car Licence. But Mum said she always knew I would come back to models and nitro type engines one day, and mums are always right! and this time she even is right. Thumbs Up

I will PM you the PDF of the planes plan when its finished almost done. Shame we cant host plans for models that are Cox powered on the forum, but I fully understand the overheads, cost, admin etc. involved in that and there are sites like Outerzone for that purpose.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:32 am

TDs are the way to go, and 42 ft. lines. I never had a problem with suction until I drilled out the venturi. Filter the fuel for all the little guys and they are pretty reliable. Like the idea of rubber banding the motor on like the old Lil Wizard. I have had crash free Fridays too. I crash, but I do it for free.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:19 pm

So what did you do with this plane? Rebuild it or just transfer the parts.

Crash Free Friday Yabby_10

Looks rebuildable to me.

What is the bellcrank, I haven't seen that type before?

Love your tie-dyed paint job. If it can handle it, I like the idea of 52' lines. Less rotations means less dizzy for me. My normal length for .19's and greater. Back when............
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:58 pm

aspeed wrote:TDs are the way to go, and 42 ft. lines.  I never had a problem with suction until I drilled out the venturi.  Filter the fuel for all the little guys and they are pretty reliable.  Like the idea of rubber banding the motor on like the old Lil Wizard.  I have had crash free Fridays too.  I crash, but I do it for free.

Thanks @aspeed Im glad you also have crash free Fridays! lol! Especially free ones. lol! Yes, the TDs definately go well, I do my own fuel as its so easy to do and so much cheaper and to date I have never had a fuel based problem. I certainly filter it, as it takes very very little to block the spray holes in the Venturi. I think the 42 foot lines will be the correct length. Ive made a set up and am going to try them out today. The rubber band mounts are probably less work to make than other systems ive tried. The main thing is I dont have to be looking for nuts and bolts and tools. I just have a great big bag of red postal rubber bands from the post office. I think it may also help protect the engine a bit in a crash as it can move. But thats not the reason I used them. Its the ease of swapping engines or taking engines on and off.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:So what did you do with this plane?  Rebuild it or just transfer the parts.  

Looks rebuildable to me.

What is the bellcrank, I haven't seen that type before?

Love your tie-dyed paint job.  If it can handle it, I like the idea of 52' lines.  Less rotations means less dizzy for me.  My normal length for .19's and greater.  Back when............

Hi Bob, It got scrapped. It was 2mm balsa, yes I could have fixed it, but it was never going to fly properly again. I do fix some ( many with split wings cos I crash a lot Lol ) but that one was too split in my view and 2mm does glue back together but I rather new one when they are that bad. The bell crank is from an Australian hobby shop Wights Model Aircraft https://www.wightsmodelaircraft.com.au They are an excellent hobby store and I get stuff from them via local post which is very cheap compared to overseas mail. I get lots of things like Control Lines, fuel tanks, bellcranks, hinges, horns,......... I think that bellcrank is actually a Brodak one. Its 2 inch nylon. I like that the connections for the leadouts are below the one for the control rod to the elevator. That way they never bind up and they are super long lasting and I just recycle them.

The real truth as to the Paint style is I cannot do proper paint jobs like a lot of you others are able to do. I dont have the skill or patients, and I use Rustoleum in spray cans and I figure if its not going to be painted really nice like most members on CEF do. Some examples I see done on here are truly works of Art cheers Thumbs Up I figure the tie-dyed look serves the purpose of being painted and doesnt look like a really bad "proper" paint job, and also I actually like the "out there / out of it" look of that paint style and its quick and easy.

I think the 42 foot lines are probably really the best length, it needs to be a perfect day to go 52 foot. I just love having the extra sky and time to get things right and fly the plane in. I find I enjoy it more. I love seeing the plane so far above my head in wingovers. As the plane is quite small, it looks like a little and very noisy speck in the distance. :-) The TD I used yesterday on 52 foot lines only had a standard Cox head on it. The extra gain from a Kamtechnik head and a stiffer prop would make 52 foot less marginal on really nice days. I am fortunate I have not yet arrived at the "get Dizzy" stage that Im sure comes to all of us if we are fortunate enough to clock up enough human miles. Thumbs Up Ive seen little single channel controls that you can rig up to a throttle on CL planes with a servo etc. and if you get dizzy just shut the engine down. I know a fella that uses his normal little RC Tx hanging around his neck to shut his engine down if he gets dizzy. ever since he has done that, he has hardly ever needed to use it. Lol. and of course a third control line can be used to do the same thing, or just use a small tank or short fill it. I know being as inovative as you are, you would sort a system if you needed. You do amazing things as it is anyway!!!! rebuilding, total rebuild of the Mazda is amazing.

Going to dash now and see if I can get a fly in. I think the oval might be in use for Cricket, so that means a farm padock somewhere. Dry dirt paddocks are not the best for steel lines, or any lines really, and just normal landing can fill the plane with dirt. Might go fly on the local school oval. That always winds them up. Lol. cheers sunny

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down