Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Calm Morning Cox_ba12

Calm Morning Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 8:59 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:29 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Calm Morning Empty
Live on Patrol

Calm Morning

Go down

Calm Morning Empty Calm Morning

Post  Yabby Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:08 pm

Its dead calm this morning. In an hour I will head off and go fly on my own for about 3 hours. After that the wind will pick up anyway. Bit early yet to start my TD bad boys up. Lol. Im flying my profile slabs on 52 foot today! cheers No wind at all. Yay! Then this arvo I am going to finish covering my modified Liquidator Combat plane https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9761, mount my OS 15 in it and tomorrow Im going to take it for a Blast! cheers I used to fly a modified Liquidator Combat plane(s) https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9761 and modified Dominator combat planes https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2605 in my youth with my Enya 15 Mk III engines I still own. But Im going to use my nice shiny new OS 15 cos I reckon the Liqy will go like all ............... with that in it. cheers My friend in the city who hates seeing me fly Half-A will be wrappped. He reckons once I fly the Liqy again and recall what strong line tension is on 52 foot lines and a plane that is so very easy to fly and manauvere I will never fly Half-A again. lol! I cant see that being the case, but I can see it leading me to build a Dominator and a Warlord https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12240. All Combat models I loved flying. Although the modified Liquidator was always my Goto Plane that I just loved flying. Will be interesting to see just how easy or not the Liqy is to fly compared to the models I am currently flying. One thing I know for sure is that if I fly out the tank of fuel on the wing, it will glide properly. lol!

This morning its my screaming 049 TDs, tomorrow my modified Liqy! cant wait.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Calm Morning Empty Re: Calm Morning

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:30 pm

Have you ever thought about branching out, trying something different?

I had the most fun flying bipes. From my little "Little Bipe" .049 to my Nieuport 28 with a Testors .29. The Sterling Nieuport was promoted as "Stunt", but I never tried inverted with it. Still, wingovers, and rollercoasters were exciting and the fear of re-kitting it was always there, but it never happened despite many, many flights. Probably the one airplane that I still have that brings back fond memories.

The Testors series 21 engines are dismissed by some, but I love them, got a group. Easy starting and reliable. I never had any problems. Bet if I tried to start it right now I would have no trouble.

Calm Morning Pt-19_27
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:19 pm

I have only one Testors Series 21 .40 Black Head, which I have bench run. It seems to be a smooth runner. The only downside to the Series 21 was the increase in weight. However, your Nieuport, Bob, has a short nose and seems to be the right ticket for such an engine.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:29 am

rsv1cox wrote:Have you ever thought about branching out, trying something different?

Goodaye Bob, Yes, good point. I have built and flown a couple of little bipes. One was the little Toot and another one I cant remember the name of. They are fun to fly as they are something different! Thumbs Up

As it is the day was quite different to my plan. I had packed all my gear in the car and was just getting in and I hear someone yelling Gary! Gary! Gary get your fishing rod were going Tuna fishing Now! cheers the fella out the back of me has 24 foot glass boat with twin turbo charged inboard diesel. He came running over and told me the Tuna ( Kingfish ) were 'ON' in a spot we get them. So we went there at about 40mph for about three quarters of an hour and in the next hour we got our 16 Tuna all a bit over three feet and then headed back. Lots of work to deal with the fish, but these are the ones the Japanese pay a fortune for and they are magnificent to eat. Smashed a lot of gear up catching them but luckily we had a number of spare rods with suitable reels all ready in the boat and my friend had a heap of Tuna rigs ready so we could just put new ones on. I got spooled by one fish. 300 metres/yards of 70 Lb braid and the drag was maxed out and the thing just strippped it off and I couldnt stop it. They are insane things to fish for on rod and reel. Especially when there are only two people in the boat and you both have hookups and trying to work out a way to get a gaff into one with losing one or both. lol!

Anyway, back to models. Funny, you should mention bipes and some different stuff to build and fly. That is what i have been mulling over a bit now. Im thinking of building my own Slab profile DRI Fokker Tri Plane. Ill look at some Outerzone plans and come up with something. Im thinking I will sand an aerofoyle into the wing(s) myself. And use the normal struts, but strengthen them with music wire backing. As on my bipes, the top wing did exactly what @Ken Cook said would happen and it came off when I landed it. No wheels on grass. Major problem I have now, is where Im living, I dont have a great spot or area for building models. I have an area but its just not great. One kitchen table is my workbench as I live and work from a shack that has 1 bedrrom, 1 bathroom and 1 living area, and I also have to have my work computers setup in that room. So its a bit squeezy. lol! Needs a cleanup, thats whats needed! cheers sunny I will tell you how my slab / profile DRI foker plan goes. I feel it may get going soon. Might be a dumb idea, but thats never stopped me before. :-)

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:50 am

I wish we could get the models and engines you are able to get in the states! I would love one or several of those models and some testors engines! They are just too expensive when convert to $Aust and then have to ship them which in $Aust is very expensive also, and any spares same problem. And it seems many many Ebay vendors wont ship outside of the states. Especially stuff thats harder to get even in the states. There is no point to it for them. They can sell for just as much less hassle within the states. And most of all that stuff was made in the states. The Cox engines fortunately have two great Vendors and parts availability for most things has been really good for 049 type stuff anyway.

Im happy with the many, many Cox engines I have and my 4 Enya engines, and my OS 15. They cover off my model needs at the moment. Though I have this itch to get a Fox engine as I read so much by @Ken Cook about them. Some good and some bad lol! but fortunately I know he is an expert on them so its very helpful info should I try to buy one. Old Bugger Thumbs Up I have a feeling Matt at ExmodelEngines sells some Fox engines also.

Nope, no more engines. Ill just build and off sort of plabe to entertain myself.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:14 am

Love those old English combat designs , even more so when they have Ollies and Eta's on them .
Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:28 am

Goodaye Mike, Yes, I too love those old English Combat designs. :-) When I was growing up and in my early teens it seemed every park or oval where there was space, people were flying mainly Liquidators I reckon here in Oz, and of course they were powered by either an Enya or a Taipan. The Taipan being an Oz designed and manufactured engine, glow and Diesel, and Enya was very big in Oz also. And not to forget OS was starting to make its mark here. Others may know more than me, but I dont remember a lot of other engine brands people I knew were using in Combat wings at the time.

I loved the site of a Liquidator going inverted from a wingover. Its just so classic. :-)

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:22 am

Hi Yabby,
Like the stories, keep them coming....
I have flown planes and fished at the same time...   Icefishing. !
Your mention of a Liquidator, reminded me, hope you don't mind:
Our club had a NewYearsDay, 'FirstFlight' event. Frank and I were on BBQ detail.
I was at his old farmhouse, and we had our rc float/ski planes ready and on charge.
Around 8PM, I asked Frank why his very nice Liquidator had not flown. (no muffler for the Enya.15, and club rules)
It was NewYears eve, no fireworks to let off , and an un muffled engine... we did the math.
Two ft of snow on the close corn stubble field, calm and around -1C.
We could be the very first ones to fly that year, by 9PM we had that Enya running. (indoors !)
Lines got checked. Path to the pit/centre got shovelled. In the dark.
There is a reflective amount of light from snow. (all puns intended)
10-9-8... Enya did not fire... flip flip, flip, distant echos of fireworks, then Blam it fired. We were 10 seconds late.
Final 'pull test' to clear any snow, then Frank did a perfect launch.
Misty, the dog who had no problems with engines at the field, but, this was her territory. So she barked chasing it...
The Liquidator flew great.
The cool part, was the 'glow' of the un muffled exhaust in the dark. Never mind the wail of just flying it.
Got through most of the tank, Misty gave up when I went inverted.
Pulled out too low on an easy 8. (there was a 3ft drift, dark, in my defence)
There is a certain 'Thud' crashing in snow. Then quiet. Especially when distant fireworks break the silence.
Frank reminded me that I owed him for crashing it.
So, we went back indoors. No damage to the Liquidator.
Next morning, we were loading up to go.
The patterns in the snow, proved it.
No one believed us,
We have a 10 seconds after midnight record, on a Liquidator.
The BBQ worked out good.
Everyone had fun,
That is the point,
Dave

P.S. Check out how close the coro 1/2A ManWin design is to a Liquidator !

Last edited by HalfaDave on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:01 am

lol! Cracked me up Dave! :-) Nope, ice fishing in Oz, cant think of anywhere you could do that!!!! Ice fishing and flying. Awesome!

Enjoy the snow shovelling. :-) Its been about 40 deg here in Oz where I am. thats about 105 deg F. which is ok. But will heat up over next couple of weeks.
Ive only seen Snow for one week of my life when I was a kid and family went to Oz Snowy Mountains to go skiing and toboganing.
And I got to go to hospital as well, cos I didnt realise when you get your feet really wet in a creek (stream) you need to get into dry things and I kept playing in the snow. Oooops Lol. then it all went wrong very suddenly and my feet hurt a lot and off to hospital. But no harm done fortunately it hadnt gotten to the bad stage, so no frost bite or anything like that.
the thing is, it wasnt cold either. I meen, the air temp was quite nice day. Lol. No idea. Lol. :-)

I cant even begin to understand how you Dudes live in the conditions you do.
I would like one day though to go in one of those huts on skates that you can move the hut and sit inside and drill a hole and fish.
To me, it would be as foreign as the moon.

what sort of fish live under the ice. Like sturgeons? They all seem to be very toothy type long skinny fish, says me who has no idea. :-)
I cant imagine walking across a frozen lake or river. Hope one day I get to see stuff like that.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:58 am

Hi Yabby,

I edited my 'Liquidator' earlier post, check it out.
Back then,
We could drive out on the ice. With 2wd. Pickerel and nasty Pikes. (I like picking bones out of Pikes)
Hauling anything you can out of from an ice hole is good !
Meanwhile,
We left the jiggers/bait down, and flew planes.
Somehow, I got sitting backwards on a Snowmobile, 50mph.
The CG Eagle I was flying, did 60.
It was fun.
I melt when the Humidex gets over 30C here...
Respect,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:05 pm

Goodaye Dave,

Awesome edit. Wish I has been there with you. Lol. I just love doing stuff that is good fun, seems a good idea at the time and not considering the consequences. lol! Even my Meds cant stop me doing it lol! Setting the plane up inside amd getting it going inside. Excelllent cheers sunny  You seem to know how to make your life fun which is my same outlook.

The ManWin. Ive built several. Not really impressed, best left at that as they seem loved. Though I think its mainly legend rather than people have actually flown them themselves.
I would say it looks more like a Dominator with the rectangular elevator, where as the Liquidator has the half rounded eleveator that blends in to the curved/scalloped trailing edge

Calm Morning Liq10

"Image From Outerzone" https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9761

The Ice fishing escapade sounds like awesome fun, I think the cold must have the same effect on some of you as the heat has on some of us. lol! And thank goodness it does or we would all be inside by the fire or air conditioner, bored, doing boring inside calm things. Just getting around on a snowmobile sounds like fun in itself, flying from the back of it sounds like a "logical conclusion" lol!
You need night vision goggles like Archer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_(2009_TV_series) One of my favourite anaimated series :-)

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:02 pm

Hi Yabby,
It is called 'Cabin Fever' around here, a result of, getting stuck in a cabin...

We did find a small Tatone muffler for the Liquidator, nice landing skid, and flew the bags off it. That Enya was flawless...
Frank built it because he liked the looks of it. Still pissed at me because I did not crash/ owe him money. Still great friends.
I can tell you it is a great flying plane.
There is no way you can compare sheet wings to this. The ManWin is not able to get close, but they are similar.
For any Cox engine, anything between a flightstreak/ringmaster around 6oz works great. Design your own.
Speaking of fishing,
The 10lb new braided fishing line is a game changer. Makes old dacron lines like a spongy, 'It will pull up, half a lap later...'

The whole point is having fun,
-4C here,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:53 am

Hi Friends , use to not have a problem with the cold ( that was a long time ago ) 20 or so years now and getting worst , Arteritis and blood don't serrulate as fast LOL keeps me from alot of things getting done in the cooler weather . So fling is at least 65F unless i have plenty of antifreeze in my veins Wink Eyebrows The Liquidator looks like a blast to fly but appears it would bee hard to hold and start not much mount to hold to , specking of the Man-Win l, I made one to teach anyone that wants to fly and it is pretty slow w/Baby Bee on front . For some reason unknow it gave me a fit making the metal mount but got it after a few trys Smoking The guy on eBay that sells these CNC mounts https://www.ebay.com/itm/224664826383? I ask him if he had cidered making them for Medallion or TD ?? He said he would look into it as soon as he has time WELL 6 months ago .. I was talking to Mark and he gave me an Idea to put a screw mount on the engine witch would adapt a TD or Medallion I am still wanting to do this but been side tracked lately with firewood detail Rolling Eyes I have the mounts https://kamtechnik.com/product/ktk-06/ should fly the tape off of it Affraid or WOW! My son has pasted that stage and he is wanting to fly some combat with me and I would like that cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:59 am

Yabby, here's my Warlord. This was built from the original kit. This was a very unorthodox build. Nothing was shaped, all ribs are just rectangular blanks. You assembled flat on the table and sanded entire wing to shape. Not an easy task and I didn't build this one that way. I plotted out the ribs as they're all different and rough cut them to shape first. Sanding a entire wing doesn't typically work without breaking something.

Calm Morning Dscn3118

Calm Morning Dscn3119 Engine is a Enya MKII .15 diesel. This diesel is amazing, runs terrific and I wouldn't have it any other way. It really is a good combination. I do have a Oliver Tiger which is new in the box but I can't bring myself to run it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:03 am

That is one excellent looking Warlord Ken! Thumbs Up For a kit, it seems like a quite tricky build. You would think it would be mostly done and a matter of assembly!! But, the end result when built as you are able looks great! cheers I was never brave enough to fly a Red combat wing when I was young, or now for that matter. I know you fly lots of combat for many years so you can fly a Red Wing. sunny I love the visual simplicity of the whole plane which is finished off with a simple nut on the prop shaft. Show and Go! Smile And the exposed fuel tank. True classic Smile

My friend has been at me again on the phone tonight to finish the Liquidator Im building (its been a ver.......y slow build.) Now that I have had some success with the Half-A Im happy to take a breath and do some flying with old combat Wings using my Enya 15 Mk III and OS 15. He says hes coming up here in a fortnight, so it better be ready to go. Lol. Should have finished covering tonight, but get caught up with my guitar instead. Got a new 'noise' pedal I wanted to test out and share with the neighbours. lol!

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:16 am

Goodaye Eric, Yes, the cold doesnt go well with me either. Two stays in the spinal ward of the major hospital (lots of spinal fractures) here when young from race crashes. But fortunately only bothers me in the cold, and we dont have much cold to be honest. Not what a lot of you would call cold anyway Lol. I call anything under 12 C or your 53 F quite cold. sunny

We always used to start the wings with one person holding the wing with two hands. One either side of the engine, gripped around the leading edge. The pilot would start the engine and go out to his lines and give you the thumbs up when ready and you could pretty much just let go and the thing flys off.

I never had much success with the Manwin. I tried using a Surestart on one, and yes it flew, but not like I hoped it would, based on what I had read about them. But, it was easy to fly, and almost indestructable, and very easy to build. Maybe I had lines that were too long. I tried some years ago when I had just come back to the sport, so its very likely I was the problem. cheers sunny

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:17 am

I can't speak for the Liquidator, I do know these vintage Brit designs are quite heavy. In general, we fly slow combat with .25's essentially the same weight. Our foamie .25's though have more wingspan, more square inches with exposed controls. We also fly our .25's on .018's where I fly the Warlord with .015" lines. My Warlord isn't a slouch, I think what some of my members have witnessed when were flying it is that the noise level is down compared to the glow .25's. I never timed my Warlord as I purposely built it for a diesel to have fun with. I will say it moves pretty darn well. My prop is a old black Magnum Grish 8x6. It has no problem pulling the Warlord straight over the top. I see many running diesels on test stands, I rarely see people flying them. I fly this one and my son knows this engine like no one else. He starts this faster than a glow and he knows exactly what to do with this cold and hot starting. I find it very interesting that he really enjoys diesels and quickly discovers what makes them tick.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:31 am

My Liquidator is 26 inch rather than 28. When younger I always built it slighly less wingspan as I felt it was a bit slow. Mind you the old Enya 15 MkIII glow is a good work-horse, but not a fast engine. I think I will need to build one the full 28 inches for the newer style OS engine. I recall with the Diesels some people really new hot to run them and they started so easy. But then........ Mind you, we have all seen people make glow engines look hard to start at times. lol! I have bought .015 lines for the Liquidator. I had been flying fishing line / spectra or whatever its called until recently. But started flying stainless .008 for my Cox engines and I am saying with steel now cheers I remember the steel lines we used when I was young. I reckon you could have used them as local electical power transmission lines. I have only flown an engine larger than a 15 several times in my youth. I do now have an Enya I think is 25 - Its 5cc anyway but it needs some serious cleaning up before it runs. It certainly seems that the true heritage of these old wings is with Diesel engines! Big prop, engine with lots of torque that just keeps running at the same speed regardless of how you load it.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:22 am

I see a lot of mention of the big prop when associating diesels. I don't subscribe to that for control line flying. I've found that the same prop size which is comparable to glow works the best. I'm well aware the engine can swing larger but as I mentioned, most diesels you see running on the internet rarely has a plane attached to it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:14 pm

Oooh Yabby...
I think I read you say profile tri-wing. Huh... Here you go:
https://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/bipes-tripes-mar-1974-aam.htm

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:54 pm

944_Jim wrote:Oooh Yabby...
I think I read you say profile tri-wing.  Huh...   Here you go:
https://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/bipes-tripes-mar-1974-aam.htm

Thanks Jim! Thumbs Up You must be the human Internet Bookmark! lol! Thumbs Up cheers I Love This Forum!

Thank you for pointing me to that.

So much to build and fly. @Ken Cook had got me definately on the finish my Combat wing and fly that with the pictures above of his Warlord! and its a build that has stalled. Im going to do it after breakfast this morning, which is lunch now, as I was up so late on the CEF lol! Work day tomorrow, so cant then, so weekend, why not. :-)

Thanks heaps for posting this for me!!! everything can be found on the Net. But its a lot easier when someone posts you a Link. :-) sunny

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down