Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Cox_ba12

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Empty
Live on Patrol

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads

Go down

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Empty "Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads

Post  Kim Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:45 pm

So, for any of my buds who might have feared that the recent activity of Electron Eating Planes might portend the abandonment of my beloved Castor Slingers, I submit the following in my defense:

Once again, I've taken on the impossible mission of sorting and tagging all the glow plug/heads, scattered across several field boxes.  I want to get them in order of brand, size, type (idle bar/non-idle bar), and used/new.

The battle between my OCD and Energy Level has been long and ugly...but I'm still trying....and have created a debris field to prove it.

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Img_8817

I really like the plastic boxes that CCI uses for their .22 rounds, and have sized many of my field box drawers to accept them.  With a little modification, the plugs are safely suspended in the tray meant for the .22's.

The side support posts get ground down to lower the tray and allow space for the tops of the glow plugs when the lid is slid into place.

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Img_8812

Because the boxes have a slight taper to their sides, the tray needs it's sides ground down a bit.

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Img_8813

Then a drill is used to run a glow plug size tap through the holes and the plugs are threaded in.

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Img_8816
"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Img_8815
"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Img_8814

The glow heads will be stored in the same type boxes, layered between the sheets of foam that protect my E-Planes' batteries during shipment.

Hopefully, a side-benefit of all this will be in my marksmanship improving, as I'm gonna need several more empty ammo boxes.

For me, this one of those things that will be really great...when it's over!

Last edited by Kim on Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Empty Re: "Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads

Post  Yabby Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:00 pm

Hey Kim, thats a great way to sort and store glow plugs, sure beats them rattling around in a box getting damaged. Especially given how cheap they are getting.
Weird how we all end up with so many glow plugs and glow heads that are working ones. Must be because we think a head/plug is causing a problem so we get a new one(s) snf then the plugs later on seem to re-animate into good working ones again. Good luck with your shooting practice. Thumbs Up

Mind you this only means your tidying up, doesnt mean your going to fly your Castor slingers again instead of those blasphemous electron powered contraptions that will never catch on. lol!

GaryB
'Yabby'
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  Empty Re: "Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads

Post  Kim Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:49 pm

Yabby wrote:Hey Kim, thats a great way to sort and store glow plugs, sure beats them rattling around in a box getting damaged. Especially given how cheap they are getting.
Weird how we all end up with so many glow plugs and glow heads that are working ones. Must be because we think a head/plug is causing a problem so we get a new one(s) snf then the plugs later on seem to re-animate into good working ones again.  Good luck with your shooting practice. Thumbs Up

Mind you this only means your tidying up, doesnt mean your going to fly your Castor slingers again instead of those blasphemous electron powered contraptions that will never catch on. lol!

GaryB
'Yabby'

Yeah, I half-expected to get jumped by one of my buds, "You NEVER reuse old glow plugs!  They're just aggravation waiting to happen!"  And maybe true, but my programing just won't allow it.

Back in the day, my buddy Neal replaced and chucked his glows plugs after EVERY flying session with his Byron Ducted Fan F-16...and these were the fancy kind!  He reasoned that it was still cheaper than losing the jet to a flame out, but whew!

I've ended up with a lot of loose plugs from trouble shooting, and then not putting them back if the trouble was found to be something else.

Well, we'll see how the year develops...I want to get several projects going, and all are various forms of castor slingers, including a freak'n monster from an estate donation that I should have said "NO!" to.

Yep...we'll see...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 pm

Excellent cheers Im lookin foward to seeing the monster from the Estate lift into the air from one of your multi camera view setups. Thumbs Up

Yes, I have a box of troubleshooting plugs. plugs/heads that were used to troubleshoot or part of a problem, but I tend to never use them as Im always concerned they will test ok at home and then let me down at the field when actually wanting to fly not just test. Its sometimes hard to prove the plug again, to be convinced. So the collection grows and grows of probably 99% all first rate plugs. Laughing

GaryB
'Yabby'
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:55 pm

An interesting and innovative use for your CCI shell boxes -- if your side of the creek is like ours, it's getting to the point that plugs and shells are running neck in neck in price (if you can find them).

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:54 am

Yabby wrote:

Yes, I have a box of troubleshooting plugs. plugs/heads that were used to troubleshoot or part of a problem, but I tend to never use them as Im always concerned they will test ok at home and then let me down at the field when actually wanting to fly not just test. Its sometimes hard to prove the plug again, to be convinced. So the collection grows and grows of probably 99% all first rate plugs. Laughing

GaryB
'Yabby'

Yep...there I am!  It wasn't quite as big a deal back in the day, but now that they cost so much, and brands that I trusted are considered "junk" nowadays, I want to hang onto all of them.  Even those known to be burned out are saved to "plug the hole" in stored and displayed engines whose good plugs have transferred to the runners.

So, the box of "Questionables" is still goes along.

andrew wrote:An interesting and innovative use for your CCI shell boxes -- if your side of the creek is like ours, it's getting to the point that plugs and shells are running neck in neck in price (if you can find them).

a--

Well, most of the standard .22's have returned over here, but for the "CB Caps" that I used to dispatch starlings.  These "short, shorts" make a greater sound at impact than when leaving the long barrel of my old Springfield bolt rifle, and I really like them.

Where the glowplugs are concerned, I keep forgetting how old I am, and at 69 years, I've probably already got more than a "lifetime supply"! Old Bugger

Last edited by Kim on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 am

Very ingenious Kim I like the way you went to the trouble to thread the holes so they want bee coming out on there on . Yea i got a few glows here and there too LOL There is a guy on here looking for some burnt out glows for chroming and display Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:14 am

Kim wrote:
Where the glowplugs are concerned, I keep forgetting how old I am, and at 69 years, I've probably already got more than a "lifetime supply"! Old Bugger

LOL - that's become painfully clear in recent years. I now fully understand the saying, "Old people don't buy green bananas!" Shocked
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:38 am

andrew wrote:
Kim wrote:

LOL - that's become painfully clear in recent years.  I now fully understand the saying, "Old people don't buy green bananas!" Shocked

Ah (grumpy old man sound here) youse guys are still just kids........................................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:25 am

nevermind
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:03 am

Hi crankbndr,
I bet,
If we all get together,
We will have fun,
Dave

P.S. I was a CD at a scale combat match, we had fun ! Spectators made us make a spectable... Smile
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:46 am

rsv1cox wrote:
andrew wrote:
Kim wrote:Where the glowplugs are concerned, I keep forgetting how old I am, and at 69 years, I've probably already got more than a "lifetime supply"! Old Bugger
LOL - that's become painfully clear in recent years.  I now fully understand the saying, "Old people don't buy green bananas!" Shocked
Ah (grumpy old man sound here) youse guys are still just kids........................................
Kim, Andrew, Bob, horder? Huh... Nah. Laughing Last I checked, I have at least 2 cards and a part of another of new glow plugs. Glad I picked them up when they were less than $30. Very Happy Now, it is over $80 per card of 10. Shocked

Our drip coffee maker went bad, a week ago to the trash. Back to my percolator. Old Bugger Very Happy

"Mining Precious Metals"...Well, Actually, Sorting Glow Plugs/Glow Heads  2023-080
Mi percolador de café.

lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down