Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Cox_ba12

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Empty
Live on Patrol

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Empty Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:07 am

I would be really tempted but shipping to me is $67.85 from the West Coast.  Looks heavy, but not an issue with me, I would just hang it with the others in the basement.  Got some Ryan ST look to it.  Speed pans can be metal.  Sent one to Ron years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144941403123?hash=item21bf2e4bf3:g:KhMAAOSwh8Zjzf~c&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoNx%2FmM86crdnt83oK%2Bc75GMhSLLD6IZ%2FqeAER7Bp4ieEIW0gzxDcIP

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_10
Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_11

I may yet change my mind, but if you are a bidder PM me and I will hold off...........cause I really like this thing........ Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Empty Re: Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:19 am

Heavy isn't really a issue with a speed plane. It's actually needed to get it up to speed and maintain. You don't want a light floaty plane. I own this same exact plane. Seeing this plane is setup for mono line, it isn't a easy plane to fly. Speed planes take a lot of abuse. This has been flown very little by it's appearance or even at all.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Empty Re: Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay

Post  MauricioB Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:35 am

rsv1cox wrote:I would be really tempted but shipping to me is $67.85 from the West Coast.  Looks heavy, but not an issue with me, I would just hang it with the others in the basement.  Got some Ryan ST look to it.  Speed pans can be metal.  Sent one to Ron years ago.

Hello dear friend, I really like that plane and I would really like you to rescue it and add it to your collection.
Just to tell you, the economy and costs can be seen in many different ways, think about what you can have it, the cost will fade over time, offset by seeing it there in your collection.
I encourage you to have it, more less money doesn't make a difference. You are having fun and that is Health.
Forward! Eyebrows
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:02 am

MauricioB wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:I would be really tempted but shipping to me is $67.85 from the West Coast.  Looks heavy, but not an issue with me, I would just hang it with the others in the basement.  Got some Ryan ST look to it.  Speed pans can be metal.  Sent one to Ron years ago.

Hello dear friend, I really like that plane and I would really like you to rescue it and add it to your collection.
Just to tell you, the economy and costs can be seen in many different ways, think about what you can have it, the cost will fade over time, offset by seeing it there in your collection.
I encourage you to have it, more less money doesn't make a difference. You are having fun and that is Health.
Forward! Eyebrows

You convinced me Mauricio, made an offer in excess of his asking by ++.  Personanlly I wouldn't take it, wait for the bids to come in.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:07 am

I was composing my reply, when you just answered Maricio, Bob.

rsv1cox wrote:I would be really tempted but shipping to me is $67.85 from the West Coast.  Looks heavy, but not an issue with me, I would just hang it with the others in the basement.  Got some Ryan ST look to it.  Speed pans can be metal.  Sent one to Ron years ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144941403123 I may yet change my mind, but if you are a bidder PM me and I will hold off...........cause I really like this thing........ Smile
Looks like it is well crafted, might be another babyboomer estate sale item. Since it has landing gear, I think a metal speed pan is not necessary (for skating on its belly dead stick), or, it is there as the top and well blended with the wood (but I think not). Fuselage top appears to be possibly carved hardwood, possibly bottom also, may be the whole thing is hardwood for durability. Only speculating .... but beautiful carpentry work, appears finished only in sanding sealer and clear dope, perhaps an unfinished project lacking final color coats. I've never participated in nor watched speed events ever in my life, so except from photos, wouldn't truly know.

I guess, beauty in the eyes of the beholder. My idea of a racing plane is the Keil Kraft Phantom with Gilbert .11 Thunderhead.
Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Foto2010

But Bob, just so you know, I won't be bidding on it. Tired w/ Coffee Read Smile sunny Popcorn lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:41 am

At that price, it would be much easier to just make one. I had the "Canadian" record with mine for the senior class under 18. Just a couple pieces of wood really, not even a pan. My monoline unit was just a piece of flying line going tip to tip with a horn soldered on. That event was discontinued and changed to profile proto with two lines many years ago. I held the record at 79 mph proto and 82 mph speed on the same day. Just 50% fuel, otherwise just a stock motor. There are better props now, it would not be hard to replicate.Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Half_a11
Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Profil10
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:05 pm

Well, "Offer accepted"........it will soon be speeding it's way across the USA from Washington State to West Virginia.

Looks like it had a canopy on it at one time, and it will need a little brushing up in spots

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_13

so not all is lost.

To the chagrin of some (justified) I have no plans for it other than to hang it over my display case and visually enjoy it.  Shame to cover up that really nice Tee Dee Cox .049 though.  Hang it disassembled maybe.  

Guess the hole is there to attach a single line.   Builder not too smart, didn't attach a rudder.............. Smile

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:01 pm

Nice score. The rules were I think 45 sq. in. wing, rudder, canopy, two one inch wheels .014" ? 42 ft. line, standing start. You just made the rudder and canopy as small as you dare. I have not ventured to fly mine since I was 17, way back in the mid 1970s.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:28 pm

aspeed wrote:Nice score.  The rules were I think 45 sq. in. wing, rudder, canopy, two one inch wheels .014" ? 42 ft. line, standing start.  You just made the rudder and canopy as small as you dare.  I have not ventured to fly mine since I was 17, way back in the mid 1970s.

Thanks, I can understand that, some of these are just crazy speeds, holding on to a piveting pole to maintain balance.  A segment of the hobby that I am unfamiliar with.  Been looking at videos.  

Rather plain, I ought to send it off to Robert or Mauricio or a dozen other guys here for a paint job.  I have no talent in that regard.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_14

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Hsd-ho10

I have always been nutz about the Ryan ST modified or not.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Ryan_210
Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Ryan_s10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:48 pm

Congrats Bob on the buy. Once in your hands, I imagine the direction to go will be more clear.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:24 pm

yeeeeeeeeessss!!!!, you know, every time you look at this model, you will know that I was complicit in you having it there! And I like that very much! Clapping Clapping Clapping
Congratulations friend Bob.
It is a good model, it can be seen that they have worked the wood well, it has beautiful lines and it must also be fast as a bullet!... you will enjoy it as you like, doing some details and giving it some love as you do with each piece What do you have in your hands.
So it's all about enjoying yourself, and that's priceless. I am always accompanying you, and more now my friend.
Thank you for valuing me so much, I wish I could get my hands on your model or better yet, I wish I could be there and accompany you in the painting and improvements, you would do the job, I would only approve everything you like to do to see it better than it is now .
Congratulations Bob again. having fun in this life, living with the simple, is the key. Hug! Beer Cheers United States Argentina United States
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:21 am

yeeeeeeeeessss!!!!, you know, every time you look at this model, you will know that I was complicit in you having it there! And I like that very much!

I have only named one model plane in my life and that was "Eric" (just under the cockpit) for my Ole' Buddy "Getback" and I don't remember why.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay P1014987

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Strutz12

Yesterday I thought - if the seller accepts my offer I'm going to name it Mauricio or Maury...........

Yes, were it not for you I probably would not have completed the deal.

Thanks to you it's coming my way.  Appreciated!

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:30 am

Congratulations Bob!! It looks beautifully made by a real craftsman, A master carver…..Whoever made it took a lot of pride in every detail…..It’s a little hard to tell in the photos but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was painted with something like K&B Super Poxy or similar…. I was never privileged to get to see them fly live, only on video like you have mentioned….. It’s just crazy to see those kinds of speeds they are able to achieve….

It will make a neat addition to your collection and be interesting to know more about it when it’s in your hands… Very Happy

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:38 am

I heard back from the seller:

"Really don’t know history of model but I’ve had it for probably 10 or 12 years. Was going to restore but have too many projects and too little time so thinning out collection. Guessing from engine and construction model probably dates from early to mid 60s when full bodied protos were fairly popular. Construction is really first class, well engineered and crafted."

I'm not sure about this hole in the side of the fuselage.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_15

Might sand it down and paint it. Chrome maybe with yellow trim...very Ryan ST like
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:52 am

Possibly a fuel tank vent or fueling port?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:59 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Possibly a fuel tank vent or fueling port?

Thanks for waking me up George!!

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_16
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:03 am

Glad you decided to make that offer and that it was accepted. I an sure that after you get it and 'polish' it up it will look pristine. Then from there you may get a different or new idea for paint or decals.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:14 am

No problem, Bob. Tired w/ Coffee Read As @Ken Cook pointed out, butyrate dope was not fuel proof. Fuel resistant is a better word. I used to meticulously clean off fuel residue from airplane surfaces for that reason.

Epoxy was a fairly recent development in the 1960's, maybe from 1950's. Area underneath paint may be Hobbypoxy. That spot appears to be missing its paint top coat, why my guess. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:34 am

Yes, for filling it is just a tube that turns back from one tube to the other. It may have been built in the 1970s or even the 1980s. The event was changed to profile proto around the 80s or early 90s I think. It is a simpler plane to build being a profile, so I guess they wanted more beginners to start with it. They are not really scary fast with a TD. All you need is a monoline handle now and a smooth piece of pavement. The motor looks pretty new.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:13 am

@aspeed, your knowledge of these events and participation thereof seems to hone in on the date of Bob's specimen more precisely. Thumbs Up The owner seller's description shared by Bob seems to coincide with your deductions. Very Happy

My only experiences were reading about it in the model magazines. I got the idea back in the early 1970's while still in high school, of making a motor mount for my red postage stamp back engine with #2 cylinder. The dual bypass port cylinder postage stamp engine was shown mounted to a profile entry level racer with homemade sheet metal engine mount in a latter 1960's article. (Someone here showed the article but can't remember who or details. silent ) This is why I have one postage stamp back with the flanges trimmed off, to make the mount fit.

I used the blued sheet steel from a Polaroid instant camera film cartridge to make the motor mount, installed engine in my own design profile Grumman F4F Wildcat with 1/8" thick sheet wing. Finished it in medium blue dope top and gray bottom, used SIG US aircraft markings decals and black India ink to delineate the movable flying surfaces.

Didn't learn to fly C/L until my first year in the Army. Had no one who knew enough to be able to teach me. Shocked A buddy while at my A School (or for the Army folks, A.I.T. - Advanced Individual Training, of all things stationed on a Navy base, combined school with Navy and Marine students in music, tough life but someone has to do it Laughing ), used free time after school learning to fly C/L from my 21" Sterling Beginner's Eindecker.
That was the beginning of my C/L experiences and continued love for small engines. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:13 pm

Interesting George and aspeed.

I never got into "Speed" planes, or the COX TD series engines either. Outside of my little scratched out .020 and .010 guys I have never even mounted one much less put one in the air. This TD .049 will join a very small group.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay P1014998

Fuel tank is home made and fashioned to fit. The TD is beautiful but I think it must have been fueled and ran. Seems like an awful large tank for the purpose.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Speed_17

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:21 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
My only experiences were reading about it in the model magazines. I got the idea back in the early 1970's while still in high school, of making a motor mount for my red postage stamp back engine with #2 cylinder. The dual bypass port cylinder postage stamp engine was shown mounted to a profile entry level racer with homemade sheet metal engine mount in a latter 1960's article. (Someone here showed the article but can't remember who or details. silent ) This is why I have one postage stamp back with the flanges trimmed off, to make the mount fit.

George, I guess you mean Dale Kirn’s ”290 Special”. An intriquing design. I also have a postage stamp engine prepped for this purpose Smile I removed the intake mesh too and tried to form the venturi into a velocity stack.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay Image15

Here are a couple of pages of the original article, I could not find the rest of it unfortunately.

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay 290_0010

Vintage Cox Tee Dee .049 speed plane - nice ebay 290_0011
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 pm

That 290 special looks remarkably similiar to my model Kari, except for the fin.  Perhaps the insperation.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:28 pm

Kari, yes, that is the article, thanks. Thumbs Up I thought it was profile, but I am remembering from 50 years ago. Old Bugger I deviated slightly by bending the sheet metal mount ends out 90 degrees, so I could bulkhead mount the engine with sheet metal screws.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:23 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Kari, yes, that is the article, thanks. Thumbs Up I thought it was profile, but I am remembering from 50 years ago. Old Bugger I deviated slightly by bending the sheet metal mount ends out 90 degrees, so I could bulkhead mount the engine with sheet metal screws.

but I am remembering from 50 years ago

It doesn't get better George, despite all those Prevegin sp or whatever TV commercials. Snake oil in my estimation.

At times I can't remember my own name......but give me the first few notes of any 1950's pop song and I can tell you the title, who sang it and probably the first few lines, same for any 50's era automobile, give me a picture, just a fender maybe and I can tell you all about it. But, ask me about high school algebra...........
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next