Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! Cox_ba12

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! Empty
Live on Patrol

Want to Buy: Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle. Found One! Thank You!

Go down

Happy Want to Buy: Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle. Found One! Thank You!

Post  Kim Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:41 pm

After yesterday's failed attempt at "Engine Sniping" on Ebay (kiddies---ALWAYS remember to make sure you're logged in BEFORE the countdown gets to 5 seconds!), I'm looking for a good, operational Medallion .09 with an exhaust band throttle.

If you've got one you could part with for a reasonable amount, please shoot me a message!

Yours in Castor,
Kim

Last edited by Kim on Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Want to Buy: Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle. Found One! Thank You!

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:00 pm

Found this one on the 'bay with 2 days left to bid, now $66.00:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165998588456 Vintage Cox Thimble-Drome Medallion Plane Engine

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! S-l16018

Looks like it may be a .15 instead. Just sharing the wealth. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Want to Buy: Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle. Found One! Thank You!

Post  Kim Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:05 am

Thanks George...I need the throttle band version because of the set-up where it's going.
Thank You Though!!
The Picky Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:40 am

Hi Kim , let me look around some More I have a throttled /ring style no muffler .09 Medallion, BUT its NOS and really don't want to get rid of it or ask you what i would want for it Shocked If it has only throttle will that work ??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:53 am

getback wrote:Hi Kim , let me look around some More I have a throttled /ring style no muffler .09 Medallion, BUT its NOS and really don't want to get rid of it or ask you what i would want for it Shocked If it has only throttle will that work ??

Hey Eric,

This is what I'm looking for (and missed), but I don't want to buy away a special part of someone's collection.  This dog is gonna get run!

It irritates me that I've passed on several reasonable Swap Meet deals on these, but I wasn't really needing one at the time.

AND...this is NO crisis!  If I don't get one for this current project, I'll just go with a different powerplant.

Thanks for your note, dude!!!! Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! Cox_0910
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:52 am

OK Kim that's just like the one I have Buttttt >> I will look like I said if something I think you would be able to deal with will let you know . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:09 am

Eric, I think that is your call. Surprised IMO if you had 2 and wanted to part with one, that would be a different story. Very Happy

Kim, I'd understand why you'd want the non-muffled exhaust throttle version .09 (unless a later non-SPI version). The muffler does rob some power from the engine. I wanted to gain one because the one I gave my brother as a birthday or Christmas gift  Bad Xmas Gift back in the late 1970's while in college, I found later he gave it away new & unused Sad Goodbye to a friend. Sad

They became harder to find. I was just glad a couple years ago to gain for a song, even one that had the exhaust throttle muffler in NOS condition (less box and instructions). Very Happy

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! Cox_0910

Even that engine I now have makes for a good low weight upgrade for an anemic .049 aircraft. It is reasonably light in weight (3.38 oz. per instructions, thanks @Admin for the CEF instructions cache Thumbs Up ). Peter Chinn tested the earlier Cox exhaust restrictor setup to put out 0.135 BHP at 14,500 RPM on 30% nitro (Cox racing fuel. I figure since it had the wrap around exhaust collector that for my later version, those numbers are represenative Huh... ).

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Cox%20Medallion%2009.html
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:38 am

Well, like I said, this is definitely not an emergency.  

I actually have a couple Medallion .09 R/C engines, along with an un-throttled version that's currently on it...I just wanted another one to dedicate to this project.

I'm prepping my "Thing" lifting body for Summer S.M.A.L.L. in June, and wanted to swap out its O.S. .10 for a Cox .09.  My Medallion .09 with its "Barrel Throttle" would require some grinding away of the Thing's cowling and also have it's throttle cable relocated, which I want to avoid.

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! 0_39

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! 1_241

The worst-case scenario is for me to fly the Thing on two channels, with the .09 currently in its snout, which is still great, because believe it or not, it actually glides quite well (for having no wings) as long as you keep your nose down and speed up.  The throttle would just allow me to make the weird slow passes that the Thing does at low power.

Anyway, I don't want to take somebody's treasures.  We got the Columbia Swap coming up next month, and I may encounter the gentleman who usually shows up with quite a few engines for sale.  AND...another may pop up on Ebay which I will be locked & loaded (and logged in) for!!! Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

But really, Thank You Guys...I appreciate the responses.

Just for the heck of it, here it is flying many years ago with its O.S. .10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX0GexET-6E&t=95s

Last edited by Kim on Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Cox .09

Post  Mike1484 Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:29 pm

Hi Kim,

Just a heads up. Take a look at thread # 42 on R/C groups. Looks like what you want. Look in aircraft, fuel, engines classifieds.

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:35 pm

Mike1484 wrote:Hi Kim,

Just a heads up. Take a look at thread # 42 on R/C groups. Looks like what you want. Look in aircraft, fuel, engines classifieds.

Mike1484

Thank You!!!!

Sent him a note!
Thanks Again.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Well, they're gone, so back to Ebay!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:21 pm

Kim wrote:Well, they're gone, so back to Ebay!!!

@Kim, regarding bidding, I've done the same too. Recently lost out on an NOS Medallion .15 R/C with non-muffled exhaust throttle collar in clear plastic Cox case.

Last 20 seconds, highest $66, put in a bid for $100, time ran out,  Pray drat Doh! that was previous bidder's highest bid, so he got it for $100. Sad

Así es la vida. Such is life. tongue lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:27 am

i wish i had one for ya

this just popped up on rc groups

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4322263-Cox-Medalion-09-R-C
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:57 am

cstatman wrote:i wish i had one for ya

this just popped up on rc groups

Hey,
I appreciate it, but need the the exhaust ring version. I may just go with the un-throttled .09 I've installed on it, and juut dead-stick it once the fuel is gone.

Thanks Again!
Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:20 am

Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! 16803611
Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! 16803610
Kim if this will work I'll shoot it to you man I know it'll fits TDO 9.  I looked and I don't have a throttle ring Or medallion  Just let me know I'm pretty sure I got your address
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:42 am

Actually Eric, I gather that Kim is looking for the non-muffled throttle ring version, because unless one has the later Tee Dee non-SPI cylinder, the SPI in the earlier to mid year Medallions allows for inert (oxygenless) exhaust to reenter the crankcase, diluting the fuel charge and reducing power. Earlier I mentioned a muffled throttle ring one to Kim, but he explained his goals for non-muffled.

I learned this earlier on when I mounted a Tatone EM-9 Calumet muffler to a Babe Bee. It actually has a larger exhaust hole diameter than the current one both Bernie and Matt and selling. Its chambering doesn't have the baffles in it (simple cast and machined aluminum "ring" with exhaust port) like the larger Calumets. It robbed significant power. Yet, a simple throttle ring on a Golden Bee (my experiences in the late 1970's) robbed very little power but pleasantly controlled its RPM.

In retrospect I gather that just as in all things, properly matched to the right airframe, the muffled throttle ring Medallion is a decent engine. But with SPI, it does rob of it top end power.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:51 am

George its for a Medallion I just didnt have one to ck. and it can bee opened up for full exhaust Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:18 pm

getback wrote:George its for a Medallion I just didnt have one to ck. and it can bee opened up for full exhaust Small Cox Logo  
No problem, Eric, don't want to stifle your benevolent heart. Cool
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:00 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
getback wrote:George its for a Medallion I just didnt have one to ck. and it can bee opened up for full exhaust Small Cox Logo  
No problem, Eric, don't want to stifle your benevolent heart. Cool
No way LOL
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:30 pm

Kim wrote:
cstatman wrote:i wish i had one for ya this just popped up on rc groups
I appreciate it, but need the the exhaust ring version.  I may just go with the un-throttled .09 I've installed on it, and juut dead-stick it once the fuel is gone.
You could of course install an engine fuel cutoff device on the non-throttled engine, just in case you need to terminate flight early.

https://www.fourmostproducts.com/our-products/fuel-fittings/
Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! 2023-022
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:53 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:
cstatman wrote:i wish i had one for ya this just popped up on rc groups
I appreciate it, but need the the exhaust ring version.  I may just go with the un-throttled .09 I've installed on it, and juut dead-stick it once the fuel is gone.
You could of course install an engine fuel cutoff device on the non-throttled engine, just in case you need to terminate flight early.

https://www.fourmostproducts.com/our-products/fuel-fittings/
Want to Buy:  Cox Medallion .09 with Exhaust Band Throttle.  Found One!  Thank You! 2023-022

Yes, this is totally a route I could take, especially with the throttle cable right there.  It may happen that way, though I've got some time to try and find one before S.M.A.L.L.

I DO want to test everything before heading to Arkansas.

Still ticks me off that I got scooped on one by forgetting to log in first!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:08 pm

Kim wrote:Still ticks me off that I got scooped on one by forgetting to log in first!
Welcome to your 69th! Old Bugger lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Kim,
Is there any chance a throttle sleeve could be DIY? I think Mauricio did one for a .020 or .049 several weeks ago. I have a couple of cylinders that appear to be built for throttle sleeves. While I don't want to loose the whole engine, maybe we could trade.

I'm trying to find cylinders that work with ring mufflers instead of throttle pipe mufflers. I'll know more about what I need versus what I have by tomorrow PM.

PS I found my digital calipers...so I have some .09/.15 NVAs to measure tomorrow too.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down