Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I don't need any more engines, but... Cox_ba12

I don't need any more engines, but... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 11:01 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I don't need any more engines, but... Empty
Live on Patrol

I don't need any more engines, but...

Go down

I don't need any more engines, but... Empty I don't need any more engines, but...

Post  batjac Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:16 pm

I have engines. Many engines.  Too many engines....  But I looked at the RCG classifieds on a lark and saw a post selling a bunch of engines.

I don't need any more engines, but... A17080871-15-3A2551BA-DB7E-4C66-BE80-78C5DF2DEC7A

Wanted $40 shipped, so I took them.  The lot had three OK Cubs that I don't need.  Four pipe bomb engines that I don't need.  But it did have two Testors 8000 engines.  Those I didn't need, but I did want.  One will go on my Testors Ambush so it's authentic.

The One Hand Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I don't need any more engines, but... Empty Re: I don't need any more engines, but...

Post  andrew Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:25 pm

batjac wrote:
 Those I didn't need, but I did want.  ............

The One Hand Mark

You have just described probably 80% of the posters on the forum. Surprised
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

I don't need any more engines, but... Empty Re: I don't need any more engines, but...

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:28 am

andrew wrote:
batjac wrote:  Those I didn't need, but I did want.  ............
You have just described probably 80% of the posters on the forum. Surprised
Yup, I resemble that remark. Embarassed Tired w/ Coffee Read lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:55 am

Yes, I saw the same engines for sale on RC Group Classified.
I had enough strong will to pass them up.

Why?
I have many Enya engines that need to be cleaned up and rebuilt and passing on those engines frees up the money for parts on my Enya rebuilds.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:40 am

Mark, from what I understand, the OK Cub .059-R (think it's this and not an .049-R) is a decent reedie. Doesn't share the needle problem of the front rotor OK's, it's power peaks at around 11.5k, so perhaps trying a 6x5 prop might make it perform. Walt Musciano featured the OK Cub .049-B tankless with separate tank on a number of his cover photos for the half-A C/L kits.

The Testors "Pipe-Bomb" .049's for the RTF's, looks like you gained a complete assortment. Congrats on the buy! Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:11 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Mark, from what I understand, the OK Cub .059-R (think it's this and not an .049-R) is a decent reedie.

Well, whaddaya know?  It is an .059 engine.  Do you know what the shroud around the cylinder ports is?  

I don't need any more engines, but... Cub

I can't find a reference to it anywhere.  If a previous owner installed it, I wonder if that raised the cylinder and decreased the compression?  Also, the head is not the OK Cubglow head.  It is a Cox glow head with the "W" filament.  And it even glows brightly!  Any information on how compression of the Cox glow head differs from the compression of the OK Cub head?

The More Powerful Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:54 am

The Comet plastic models were battleships and the engines used were not up to par. It was somewhat of a standoff between Herkimer and Fox. This is why the OK .059 was developed. Fox offered up the .07 which and during this period, Comet was going through major financial problems which Duke took took back all of his engines. This is why Duke ground off the Comet logo on his engines. This is why the earlier .049 and .07 have no markings. On some of the .07's it appears as if the backplate was made with a axe. This is because they used a hacksaw to cut the tanks off and used them as backplates. If one still has a Fox .049 or .07 with the Comet logo, it's somewhat of a rarity.

Some of the Comet tether cars like the Hornet also utilized OK engines later using Fox's. The aluminum piece you posted in the picture is a heat shield and it is a stock OK part. Essentially, you see these in the plastic models to distribute heat. Many times you see these engines, the flywheel or pull starts are associated with them.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:02 pm

The Comet plastic models were battleships and the engines used were not up to par. It was somewhat of a standoff between Herkimer and Fox. This is why the OK .059 was developed. Fox offered up the .07 which and during this period, Comet was going through major financial problems which Duke took took back all of his engines. This is why Duke ground off the Comet logo on his engines. This is why the earlier .049 and .07 have no markings. On some of the .07's it appears as if the backplate was made with a axe. This is because they used a hacksaw to cut the tanks off and used them as backplates. If one still has a Fox .049 or .07 with the Comet logo, it's somewhat of a rarity.

Some of the Comet tether cars like the Hornet also utilized OK engines later using Fox's. The aluminum piece you posted in the picture is a heat shield and it is a stock OK part. Essentially, you see these in the plastic models to distribute heat. Many times you see these engines, the flywheel or pull starts are associated with them.

The later OK engines utilized a one piece glow plug like Cox. I use both including the standard OK head which accepts long plugs. I'm certain there's measurable differences in rpm's between all of them and I've tried them back to back. Audibly, they sound similar. I really like them and I use them a lot for free flight models. One thing about a Cub is that the more nitro you throw at them the more they like it. Some have a dual bypass in the case, others don't. The rods are different in some as well. Cox engines were the nail in the coffin for OK.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:11 pm

Those Testor 8000 with the white tank are pretty strong runners. At least the one i tried out with a 5 1/4-4 Top Flite nylon. They like lots of nitro.
                         Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:45 pm

WooHoo!  All four Testors glow heads glow nice and bright.  4/4 is not my normal outcome.

The Lucky Mark

edit: All glow heads/plugs are good!
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:19 pm

batjac wrote:WooHoo!  All four Testors glow heads glow nice and bright.  4/4 is not my normal outcome.

The Lucky Mark

edit:  All glow heads/plugs are good!

Ok.......NOW I am officially jealous!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:43 pm

batjac wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:Mark, from what I understand, the OK Cub .059-R (think it's this and not an .049-R) is a decent reedie.
Well, whaddaya know?  It is an .059 engine.  Do you know what the shroud around the cylinder ports is? I can't find a reference to it anywhere.  If a previous owner installed it, I wonder if that raised the cylinder and decreased the compression?  Also, the head is not the OK Cubglow head.  It is a Cox glow head with the "W" filament.  And it even glows brightly! Any information on how compression of the Cox glow head differs from the compression of the OK Cub head?
The engine used to be described on OK Cub's website, when the OK Company owner's son was building engines for sale and selling parts, from left over production years ago. They went off line, don't remember exact year, but may be about 5 years ago. I guess they were running out of parts and he was nearing absolute retirement (old age?).

Can't answer about differences in compression of the heads. Ken mentioned that the exhaust deflection collar was to protect the RTF plastic around the cowl from engine exhaust heat damage. I think this was an engineered manufacturing decision. They probably took it into account by milling the crankcase mount top down a touch to compensate. If you were to remove it, you would most likely need to shim the cylinder up then. I'd just carefully remove the bends and dents in it to restore it to its original shape. Who knows, it deflecting the hot Castor oil droplets may help to spare some wear and tear in the finish of the plane you mount it on.

And, It has the plastic resistance tab just above the tank that the needle screws through, it helps to hold the needle setting (replaces the spring), like mine. Seems you got a complete one. Regarding the missing 5-40 prop screw, it uses one but a little longer than the Cox one. Good is, the engine uses the Cox tank reedie bolt pattern, so you can replace a Cox tank engine with it, to test it out.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down