Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

049 td runup Cox_ba12

049 td runup Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

049 td runup Empty
Live on Patrol

049 td runup

Go down

049 td runup Empty 049 td runup

Post  cstatman Tue May 16, 2023 11:17 am

Well, when I was in Austin a few months back, a pal gifted me his Cox motors.
"I'll never use 'em, I'd be happy if ya clean em up, use em, and send me a video of one running"

one of his TDs running yesterday.
The RCATS Lithium glow driver makes ALL the difference. I am a HUGE fan. Expensive, but worth it
https://www.rcatsystems.com/rc.php

running motor
www.youtube.com/shorts/CY1oN2uxHPU

only a few more to get on the test stand and running

.. although sometimes girlfriend and beautiful contest forum model is now DEMANDING her motor for helping me win the contest, .. which I lost.
I think she will get a polished and lexan mounted baby bee. not a TeeDee.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

049 td runup Empty Re: 049 td runup

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 16, 2023 3:20 pm

I've owned the RCAT for years. I've mentioned it numerous times on the forum here. The cases are fragile and one needs to use caution. The protective case is a must but the area where the charger plugs in is extremely thin and fragile. I've managed to deal with this by making it out of ply on the bottom vs plastic. It works very well, better than any battery combo I've used.I probably charge it every 3 months.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

049 td runup Empty cheapr alternative

Post  cmulder Wed May 17, 2023 1:48 pm

Used that rcat unit at our flying club and yes it works fine.
For those who like almost the same performace on a budget should take a look at these;
buck module

Yes you have to supply your own glow lead and battery (i use a old 6 cell nicad pack) and also you need to adjust the pot meters to 1.5v and about 4 amp.
Mine is also fitted with the 4 mm "banana" connector (female) so i can change the glow clip leads depending on what engine i want to start.
It does have lights showing if it is in voltage limit or current limit and that indicates if the plug is working well.
No charge level to see if the battery is half/full but when empty (or disconnected)  none of the status lights work.
ALso covered mine with heat shrink tube to keep it from being damaged and wrote the settings on the botum so it does not get mixed with the others.

These units have become my universal power supply to power my small electronics with watever battery i have lying around/ is charged.  
They can also be used to charge 1 or2 s lipo or even lead batteries (max 5 amp) as long you set the max voltage correct.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Wed May 17, 2023 3:50 pm

I read articles here about the cool buck boards, i ordered one, even ordered a volt/amp meter

Adjustable step down charging board
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115094446079

volt/amp meter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BY4XZ7

my IDEA was to build my OWN charger, by connecting it all to a battery on one end, and a glow connector on the other.
maybe even mount it all in a handsome project box.

Battery -> Board -> Meter -> Glow connector

i KNOW i'm not really old, but for the LIFE of me, I cannot figure out the simple circuit I need to make this work.
I've drawn about 5 napkin sketches, and I just cannot figure out what color wire goes where. - and got really frustrated with myself

so they are sitting on the workbench.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

049 td runup Empty in your setup

Post  cmulder Wed May 17, 2023 5:33 pm

So if you place the meter behind the buck then be aware the voltage and current wil show what goes to the glowplug.
Then confirm if your buck underside looks like this one.
049 td runup 7bbf5310

If correct then your battery posetive/ red goes to the "in+" the negative black goes to "in-"
From the meter the THIN black and red also go to the same red +in and black "in-"
This will power the meter

The the thick black goes to "out-"
One of your glow clip wires goes to "out+"  best to choose the wire that goes to the tip of the glowplug
The other side of the glowplug goes to the thick red wire from the meter.
Depending how accurate you want the voltage reading to be you have 2 choices.
For simpler cables just connect the yellow also to the "out+"  but this way any "voltage drop" over the wire to the plug will be ignore. (this will be verry little depending on how thick your wire is)
If you do not mind extending the yellow wire then you can connect it to the glowplug clip "tip" and then you will read the exact voltage at the glo plug clip.

This all is folowing the "independed power supply" connection choice and that is needed because  the voltage a glow plug works at (1.5v for cox) is not enough to make the meter work. (you power it straight from your battery instead)
049 td runup 519our10
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

049 td runup Empty once all is connected

Post  cmulder Wed May 17, 2023 6:11 pm

Do NOT connect a glowplug before adjusting the buck !!!  
Get a small screwdriver that fits in the litte bronse "screw" slots on the blue adjustment "potentiometer"
One is to set the maximum current and the other the voltage.
the one closer to "in" (and thee black chip) controlls the voltage , the other current.
Turn the voltage pot counter clockwise (seen from top) to reduce voltage and clockwise to increase.
Mine came set to 12v so likely you have to turn counter clockwise.
These are "multi turn" pots  so you only see a small change in voltage for every turn ; you might need as manny as 10 tuns or even more to get down to the 1.5v cox glow plugs like.
The current can be adjusted too in the same way but for driving glow plugs you likely want to be able to use the full 5 amp these bucks can give.

Again withour the glow plug connected prepair your battery
This battery must give more then 5 volts  for example a 2 or 3s lipo or like i use a old rc car nicad pack.
The battery also has to give less then 30 volt so do not connect 3 car 12 batteries in series t power your buck Wink  (one or 2 are fine)

The next depends on how confident you are with eletronics; in theory it is possibe the volt meter uses a "common ground" for both power the meter and the  measured input.
There is a small chance it makes a short.
So to be totaly save better limit the current of the battery/ power supplly when you first test it.
If you have a friend with a "regulated lab power supply" then that would be the best way to test if all works well; thosee can be set to limit the current .
If you do not have acces to one then there is a simple way to make a current limiter.

Get a car (12v) light bulb (not led but a old fasioned one) like a indicator light.
Solder 2 wires to it and see if you can light it up on a 12v battery.
Once that is working place one of the bulb wires to the posetive of your battery and the other end to the "in+"  
This way all the power of the battery has to go trough the light bulb; this temporary replaces the wire from "in+" to the battery until its passed the test.
Now when you power the whole setup if all is well the light bulb will NOT light or just a little.
If it is bright then you likely have a short but the current  should have been  small enough to avoid any damage.
Also on your meter the amp (blue) should stay at zero untilll you connect it to a working glowplug

Let up know how it goes and if you have any questions just ask ; poctures might help illustrate any things you are not sure about.

Cool
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu May 18, 2023 11:07 am

oh I owe you a beer, whiskey, kool-aid

thank you

I will attack this during the weekend. Smile
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

049 td runup Empty ;)

Post  cmulder Fri May 19, 2023 12:45 pm

Once you have it working run a engine on a test stand and see how it behaves when you intentionally flood the engine.
Keep a eye on the light on the board and when the indications light (voltage limit or current limit for example)
There is a good chance once you learn the behavior there is no more need for the aditional current and voltage meter.

Right now my glow driver is powering a speed 400 brushed motor with a "Zagi" / gunter prop.
Just enough to give a nice gentle breeze to help my clothes dry quicker Wink
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum