Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A history lesson, please Cox_ba12

A history lesson, please Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by Oldenginerod Today at 6:42 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by rdw777 Today at 6:13 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 6:09 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A history lesson, please Empty
Live on Patrol

A history lesson, please

Go down

A history lesson, please Empty A history lesson, please

Post  andrew Sat May 20, 2023 10:36 am

The following C/L model, a Lou Andrews design Trixter Profile was recently posted on Outerzone -- it was a 1948 stunt winner and was kitted by Guillows.

My question is when did the hobby standardize on counter-clockwise C/L flight since this model was set up for clockwise flight. Secondly, in today's competition, is clockwise (upright) flight allowed?

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

A history lesson, please Empty Re: A history lesson, please

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 20, 2023 3:46 pm

andrew wrote:The following C/L model, a Lou Andrews design Trixter Profile was recently posted on Outerzone -- it was a 1948 stunt winner and was kitted by Guillows.

My question is when did the hobby standardize on counter-clockwise C/L flight since this model was set up for clockwise flight.  Secondly, in today's competition, is clockwise (upright) flight allowed?

a--

Good stuff here Andrew. Not sure if it's a help with your basic question.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/YatesJC.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun May 21, 2023 6:06 am

Andrew, I can answer your question in regards to competition. The answer is yes clockwise flights are allowed. I have a flying member who still flies clockwise. https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/files/events/nats/NatsNews08/0712.pdf

Scroll to the bottom and Rich's Stuka can be seen. Rich is from the New York area and he use to attend our Philly contest. Windy Urtnowski mentions Rich a fair amount in his videos.

As for the exact date of when it was standardized is probably a question that can't be answered. It's just like when were profile engines accepted vs upright. You receive a answer and then someone digs out a example that predates it from the archives. I truly believe it was mainly for the speed crowd.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun May 21, 2023 9:57 am

Ken Cook wrote:.......The answer is yes clockwise flights are allowed. I have a flying member who still flies clockwise. ...................

Thanks, guys!

I started flying in the late 50's, but could not remember any folks flying clockwise at the time.  Consequently, I was a little surprised when the plan was published with a clockwise configuration.

I did notice that Rich was flying his Stuka left-handed.  I wonder if that had any impact on his choice of direction?

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun May 21, 2023 10:18 am

Many struggle flying in one direction vs the other. To become a good pilot, you need to overcome that. The beginning of the pattern has 6 level upright laps and coming out of the reverse wingover is 6 inverted laps. This in my opinion is done for a few reasons, it burns off the fuel load to lean the engine a bit in the next consecutive maneuvers. It also prepares the pilot as to where his bottoms should be executed. This isn't who can cut the grass it's a matter of who can present the plane steadily at 5'.

I'm a lefty and my son is a lefty. I fly with my right hand nowadays because I forced myself to switch due to a injury. I feel out of place and insecure now. In other words the right handed crowd likes to raise the bridge where my brain lowers the water. Essentially the same thing, I just go about it differently. I feel much more comfortable if I'm flying counterclockwise ( standard) with my left hand. This way I feel I'm leading the plane and not the other way around. It really seems like the majority right handers should be flying clockwise and not counter for the above reason.

I recently discussed this with my son. He wants me to switch back to lefty. I will give it a try.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun May 21, 2023 3:10 pm

I flew a couple speed planes CW, an FAI speed, 1/2A proto and speed plane and an A speed. I would bet a beer that I was the last guy at the world champs that flew that direction. That was England 1978. I find now that I can run faster running towards the plane as when being right handed and going CW. or left handed and CCW. That is the main reason I stopped flying speed as I could not keep up with the planes once I got them up to a 'good' speed. I get real dizzy when I fly backwards now, but you get used to it after a couple flights.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun May 21, 2023 3:43 pm

Ken, that is interesting, I didn't know that in contest flying one is allowed to fly clockwise instead of the default counterclockwise. I gather that because most are right handed, it seems more natural to look ahead of the plane with it moving forward of the right hand.

There are a few designs that were originally designed with clockwise flight in mind, like DeBolt All American series, from the A size (26 inch wingspan, for early .09's) to mid size to standard size. Because it was flown using the torque advantage, it was said that no rudder offset was necessary. The inboard wing was a panel longer than the outboard. I was told that if I wanted to maintain vintage CL, I needed to maintain one wing panel longer than the other (although I could make the plane do counterclockwise, just reverse wing panel lengths).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down