Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Cox_ba12

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 9:54 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:35 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 7:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Empty
Live on Patrol

I do this....buy parts I do not need........

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Empty I do this....buy parts I do not need........

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:32 pm

but have to have. Sad

ebay $15.02. Apologies to any that might have bid.

I really wanted that rusted closed end Cox wrench. Smile

Anodized fuel tanks are drilled for an external line. I have had good luck repairing these with JB Weld.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Ebay_c21
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Empty Re: I do this....buy parts I do not need........

Post  944_Jim Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:03 pm

Bob,
Care to sell off one of the holey tanks? I know a guy with a car that may want to install a bigger external tank...Jim Ellis, this hint is for you.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Empty Re: I do this....buy parts I do not need........

Post  Admin Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:19 pm

I do the same Bob, buy a junk lot for just one little thing. You can have too few parts, but never too many parts.

RC Plane

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:18 am

There's a sense of reward when taking parts as such and making a working engine out of parts, or using to repair others. Even the wrench Bob pointed out can be easily cleaned of its rust and brought back to usefulness. The surface rust makes it look worse than it really is.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:38 am

Way back pre-CEF membership I was well into the 049 Collectors group, so I wasn't specifically focussed on Cox engines.   At the time I had not long discovered Cox International and had put in an order or two.
I managed to come across a large lot of Cox parts locally on eBay, so having assessed what the parts were worth compared to Bernie's listings, I snapped them up for a bargain.  I think I assembled at least three running engines with the help of some new gaskets, reed etc.  Included a decent Tee Dee 049 cylinder.  I'm sure I still have many of those parts unused, but it was certainly a worthwhile purchase, being local as a bonus.
These days I can barely bring myself to bid on stuff from the USA.  Shipping is now 3 or 4 times what I was paying back then. Crying or Very sad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:59 am

I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!..... And I knew I wasn't.  It's good to be in the company of friends who think alike.  

Jim, no problem, I would gladly gift one of those tanks.  Let me see what I have, but if I forget about it, PM me.  Should be here in a week or two.

I wasn't kidding about that closed end Cox wrench.  I have three but have five workshops/stations and I'm always chasing one down.  I want at least one per station.  I probably have about 25 Cox wrenches but those are my favorites.  There is an odd look to it too. Could be .020 but they have a stamped out look to them that this one doesn't.  Seller says they are .020 parts, but most look .049 to my eye.  The reed clips are marked .020.

Another treasure hunt.  And yes, one of my greatest feelings is making something out of nothing.  Rampant among some here.  Smile

Spent the morning playing in the yard.  Fire and smoke, mix of rain, sleet, snow.  Tractor and me......mud! Fingers and nose red.  Coveralls, coat, knit hat, gloves all dumped in the washing machine and me in the shower.  Seems good to be clean, warm and dry again.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:49 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Way back pre-CEF membership I was well into the 049 Collectors group, so I wasn't specifically focussed on Cox engines. At the time I had not long discovered Cox International and had put in an order or two.
I remember those days, Rod, wonderful times. Many forums were privately run, or run by various Internet Service Providers, Compuserve, Yahoo, etc., plus private individuals who ran on-line bulletin boards. There were a couple neat pre-Bay auction sites that sold model plane stuff, and neat sales flyers from many major hobby houses. Back in the early 2000's, the late Joe Wagner, model designer and engine guru ran a small flight PDF newsletter. We'd E-mail him photos and interesting things we were doing, questions we had, etc. He'd compile those with his answers, answers by others forwarded to him, etc. Kept an archive of those PDF's until other forums took over.

Back in the mid-1990's, through AHC's newspaper flyer of clearances and sales, I picked up a couple rare close out model kits - various Comet rubber power stick and tissue kits including 32-in. Sparky, Frank Zaic's 46-in. Aero Sport, 18-in. Scientific hollow log Piper Cub Cruiser, 30-in. Scientific 1/4-A Shoestring Racer, etc.
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Aerost12
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Aerost13
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Scient13

Got to add, Bernie @Cox International and Matt @EXModelEngines have kept the quality of their items at the best, plus considering manufacturing contracted out costs, have kept prices very reasonable.

Oldenginerod wrote:These days I can barely bring myself to bid on stuff from the USA.  Shipping is now 3 or 4 times what I was paying back then. Crying or Very sad
Rod, it goes both ways. Post-Covid, overseas shipping costs have escallated quite a bit here in US. 10 years ago, I'd buy from European parts houses, various vintage and not-available-in-USA motorcycle parts, shipping was very reasonable. I'd wish they'd bring back Sea Mail. Everything now is shipped by Air. Although it took a couple weeks longer, the lower costs made it affordable. Thus, I hardly buy anything now that requires crossing oceans.

rsv1cox wrote:I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!..... And I knew I wasn't.  It's good to be in the company of friends who think alike. [...] Another treasure hunt.  And yes, one of my greatest feelings is making something out of nothing.  Rampant among some here.  Smile
Yup, I Agree With Above cheers Hand Shake This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:48 pm

Repost glitch! Happy New Year

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:48 pm

LOL! Oops, I just did it again! lol!

But, Doh! these are parts I need for my Cox .15 Sportsman reedie engine.
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ 2024-011

RC Plane Very Happy  Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:59 am

”Parts you don’t need”?

What a strange concept Huh...
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:39 am

Of coarse I do , when I was dealing more on the Bay i would buy alot of stuff i didn't want or need really just for the lot of the good things I could rebuild and resale . I am about to start up again even tho i don't really want to but money calls , lots are few in between now a day .. Bob I opened a box yesterday and it had some wrenches in it and there were 2 of the wrenches you are looking for and same style for a 09 and I found the rear end assy for a 045 car I had been looking for also it has the starter wheel on it I was missing from the car I bought ! Thumbs Up cheers cheers sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:18 am

rsv1cox wrote:ebay $15.02. [...] Anodized fuel tanks are drilled for an external line.  I have had good luck repairing these with JB Weld.
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ 2024-012

Bob, I could see how that could be done. I'd probably snip a small rectangular section from a tin can slightly larger than the drilled hole in the tank. Carefully score its mating surface and the inside tank location with fine sand paper, to give the adhesive gripping power. Then carefully bend the backer to fit the tank curvature, JB Weld this backer inside the tank over the hole. Once cured, carefully JB Weld fill the hole over the backer on the tank exterior.

You have parts there to make at least two engines, and with a few extra parts - screws, crank, prop thrust plates, gaskets, glow head, reed valves and wire retainers, tank backs and needles make another and convert that car crankcase to an airplane one, Then you'd have 2 Babe Bees and a extended tank Bee.
KariFS wrote:”Parts you don’t need”? What a strange concept Huh...
Very well said, in a batch parts buy there may be one part needed and the rest becomes spares for possible future use. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:44 am

That's about how I do it George, but I use masking/painters tape loosely applied to the inside of the tank then apply the JB and gently squish it up and smooth the outside with water on a fingertip. Positioning the repair at the top of the tank lessens exposure. Some might be usable, some not. Looks like some might have multiple holes. Ya just take your chances with this stuff.  I have pictures but can't find them.  

Enjoyable hours there cleaning and reconstructing.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:14 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Way back pre-CEF membership I was well into the 049 Collectors group, so I wasn't specifically focussed on Cox engines.   At the time I had not long discovered Cox International and had put in an order or two.
I managed to come across a large lot of Cox parts locally on eBay, so having assessed what the parts were worth compared to Bernie's listings, I snapped them up for a bargain.  I think I assembled at least three running engines with the help of some new gaskets, reed etc.  Included a decent Tee Dee 049 cylinder.  I'm sure I still have many of those parts unused, but it was certainly a worthwhile purchase, being local as a bonus.
These days I can barely bring myself to bid on stuff from the USA.  Shipping is now 3 or 4 times what I was paying back then. Crying or Very sad

I know what you mean Oldenginerod.
I have a friend down under that lives in Macgregor Act 2516, Australia.

Use to ship engines to him for less than $30.00.
Last engine I shipped before this Christmas cost me over $90.00

Ordering part from the hobby shop in Australia (Ace R/C Models and Hobbies)
Shipping was reasonable.
Now it costs (in Aussie money) about $95.00 for anything shipped to me.
So, let's, see? A piston ring for $20.00 (AUD) + shipping ($95.00) = Ouch!

Fortunately, I was able to find and purchase the Enya SS30 piston ring from Bob Brooks in the USA for $23.00)
Got this "cheap" Enya SS30BB TN engine for $20.00 on an Etsy website as I bartered him down and told him that that "ring" was hard to come by (and it is).
The original ring was broken (somehow -- probably from an inexperience modeler) as there is a very small pin in the ring groove so the ring will not turn in the groove and get damaged from either the intake or exhaust ports.

I think the original owner (Etsy seller) tried to clean the engine up and broke the piston ring?
Got the "engine" as a parts engine (seller was selling it as a part engine) and when I got it in the mail, the engine was in a ziploc bag inside the shipping box.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Img_0240

There was also missing parts (off the carburetor) as it has the "twin needle valve) it has a small spring inside (missing)
and the stop screw that holds the throttle drum inside the carb. body and no engine gaskets?

So, I place an order with Bob Brooks for the missing parts and new gaskets for a total of $62.34 + $6.00 for std. shipping.
About $90.00 for an engine that looks like it was hardly used (with box and muffler)
Missing instructions on Twin Carb adjustments and engine instructions.

FYI --- Here are the photos of the piston and the tiny pin in the piston groove and the broken ring.
So, someone else will not make this mistake as the OEM rings are getting harder to find for these engines.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Img_0241
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Piston12
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Piston11

Anyway, Good looking engine for $90.00 --- maybe sell for $125.00?
With photocopied instructions on the Twin carb and engine's needle valve setting.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:33 am

I wasn't aware that the SS 30 was available in a ringed version. The iron /steel 30 SS versions I've used are very powerful for their size. I currently use the SS .25 to power most of my older profiles. The SS .25 offers more power than what the period correct .35's offered. I have a SS 35 which is ringed and it's certainly different. It almost appears to be what looks like a brass chrome cylinder with a ring.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:55 am

rsv1cox wrote:That's about how I do it George, but I use masking/painters tape loosely applied to the inside of the tank then apply the JB and gently squish it up and smooth the outside with water on a fingertip. Positioning the repair at the top of the tank lessens exposure. Some might be usable, some not.  Looks like some might have multiple holes.  Ya just take your chances with this stuff.
I use a solid thin backer with sufficient edge for solid bonding under the hole, is because in general, adhesives are weak except when bonding in a thin layer. Those holes drilled are sufficiently large. The atoms in these adhesives use a weaker Vanderwall's Bond. Thus, my way should be a permanent repair, withstanding the vibrations encountered for the life of the engine.

One might be able to get away with a backer such as silkspan, with the JB Weld sufficiently rubbed into the weave. One might even be able to get away with using standard (not the quick drying) Epoxy.

I was thinking of a lasting repair. However, your methodology putting the covered hole toward the tops would still be good. If it fails, then "rinse, wash, repeat". Your quick fix method does have merit in this sense. "Just git 'er done". Wink

rsv1cox wrote:Enjoyable hours there cleaning and reconstructing.
Yes, I hear you on that, it is fun and relaxing to do, and especially satisfying when you see your aircraft flying with this repaired engine in a manner as though you'd bought a new engine. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:37 pm

rsv1cox wrote:but have to have. Sad

ebay $15.02.  Apologies to any that might have bid.

I really wanted that rusted closed end Cox wrench.  Smile

Anodized fuel tanks are drilled for an external line.  I have had good luck repairing these with JB Weld.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Ebay_c21

DIAMONDS in the ROUGH!!!!
Clapping Clapping cheers cheers cheers Clapping Clapping
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:57 pm

Kim wrote:DIAMONDS in the ROUGH!!!! Clapping Clapping cheers cheers cheers Clapping Clapping
Just like people, with heat and pressure make into a diamond, Wink or a hard lump of coal. Doh! Clean my glasses Babe Bee .049 Happy New Year lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:37 pm

I'm pretty sure most if not all of those are .020 parts including the wrench especially the ones with the red anodized drive plates. Check out the mostly center cylinder /case. Strange. Wish there were a penny in there for perspective.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:15 pm

rsv1cox wrote:.020 parts including the wrench

will go out to garage to check my wrench collection. I MAY have some of the closed ends - you are looking for .020 only? or also >049?
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:32 pm

cstatman wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:.020 parts including the wrench

will go out to garage to check my wrench collection.  I MAY have some of the closed ends -  you are looking for .020 only?  or also >049?

Thanks Charles, I'm doing fine on wrenches. I could use a couple of the .049 closed ends but I'm in no hurry and I enjoy the hunt.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:06 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I'm pretty sure most if not all of those are .020 parts including the wrench especially the ones with the red anodized drive plates.  Check out the mostly center cylinder /case.  Strange.  Wish there were a penny in there for perspective.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ 020_pa10

Yes Robert, That's a nice score. Regarding the center cylinder / case; that could be a tether-car-engine. The Cox 1968 GTO and Camaro both had .020 engines.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ 020_ca10

Robert.......... this hobby has a grip on us. With me; I'll see something.. somewhere.. that happens to strike a creativity-nerve. It may be a single "part" to an assembly that I've thought about.. or maybe an assembly/item that I can use for a purpose that it wasn't actually made for. Whatever the case; I've sourced many things that I didn't "need".. but knew that I could definitely use... someday.

You know?...... I'm surprised that you don't have (I'm pretty sure that you don't...) The Cox .049 powered 1964 Buick Riviera tether car..

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Cox_bu10

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ S-l16018

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Buick_13

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Bobs_r12

I think I may have found your car.. unless you know otherwise...

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ Buick_14

The above photo is a few years old.. but as of last week; the car is still in there. I can't legally get any closer to it because the lot is fenced-off. Do you happen to have the V.I.N. in your archives?

Last edited by roddie on Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : asks about 64 Buick V.I.N.)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:51 pm

I have a loose-leaf binder full of most of my old cars going back to the 1950's, but sadly nothing on the Riviera. There are at least 140 cars in there.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ P1016946

But if I went through my old Rhode Island records I bet I could find an insurance policy card on it. I will have to check. I sold it to a friend in Patuxent River Md. and probably gave him a Bill Of Sale, but nothing formal changed hands. I sold it to him cheap as he admired the car, but I should have sold it to a collector who would have appreciated it. The last time I saw it his wife was driving it, a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and three kids jumping around the back seat.

I bought it in Tiverton/Newport at the intersection by the Newport Creamery around 1969. You probably know of it.

I have both years offered, headlights changed, otherwise mostly the same. As I have mentioned a big old 454 ci. under the hood.

I do this....buy parts I do not need........ P1016947
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ P1016948
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:58 pm

Love those Cox Buicks Robert!! I heard that someone who has several of the .020 engine-powered cars is asking $2500.00/ea. Shocked (not that they'll get it...)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:48 pm

Those are some neat Rivieras, Bob. After viewing your photos, looked it up, ran for a long time, 1963 into the late 1990's, eight generations using that name. The 1963 looks several years ahead of its time, Ford didn't catch up until several years later. It's 1963 Falcon had a dated look, although I kind of like it.

My bathroom electronic timer light switch that I replaced about 8 years ago, failed. Found from another, while out we had a power surge. My 40 year old red LED electronic clock failed also. It would show only 12:00 and non of the switches worked, nor could make changes. I bought a new clock radio and a new switch.

Just curious if anyone else does this. After replacing, took the old switch apart to salvage the screws holding it together.
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ 2024-017

I separate these into small spare screws and washers bins. Then when I need, sort through these to find a fastern I need. Sometimes when a plastic hole has been stripped out, I find another screw slightly larger in diameter to make up the need.

I also save good and unused wire nuts, the green 14 gauge flex terminated pigtail sometimes comes in handy with modeling electronics.

By taking apart the extra unused, uneeded switch faces (I needed white, came with extra Ivory and Almond), now I have small diameter springs and two more tiny sheet metal screws for future use. These springs are good quality, as they were designed to provide springiness for each momentary contact switch for the life of the switch. These may come in handy for say replacing needle valve springs.
I do this....buy parts I do not need........ 2024-018

At times this has saved me from making a purchase at a store or on-line.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next