Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 Empty Re: Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane

Post  davidll1984 Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:05 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:The engine looks proportional with the hull this should be a really great IC project.
Elect is too easy but still fun as you get to wring out the boats abilities and learn
how it handles for the surface conditions at your particular pond.
As a E boat it is heavy for it's size at 16.8oz less battery and RX.
1/2A hydro should be much lighter without the E gear. Yet at 3S
it should move out in the low 40's What does the bottom of the
hull look like? Sharp riding edges?

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up

The underside of the hull is rather flat But slightly rounded at the front and the sides straight at a 90° angle Well defined wit Sharp riding edges A beautiful line which should prevent boat drifting from going sideways. In the curves the bottom of the
hull look like this Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 Img_2455
Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 Img_2456
It is similar to my 1\12 miss elamplus and The turn fins Seems adequate It's not adjusted in the photo I'm going to have to play with it today I received a piece for the shrimp project a mini love joy coupler
Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 17127010
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 Empty Re: Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane

Post  davidll1984 Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:18 pm

I am progressing slowly on the tiger moth but soon I will start building the little shrimp here is an overview of the parts used Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 17127011
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:54 am

Good sourcing David,
Lets hope the drive line can stay together with IC.

The bottom of the hull looks great. Will be interesting
what a reed engine can make happen with it.

Small Cox Logo Popcorn
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:43 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Good sourcing David,
Lets hope the drive line can stay together with IC.

The bottom of the hull looks great. Will be interesting
what a reed engine can make happen with it.

Small Cox Logo Popcorn
In fact in the photo I put the reed valve motor for the flywheel. but I think I'm not using this engine only the flywheel in the photo. If I use one with a reed valve it would probably be one with a pullstarter which will be modified with a more efficient cylinder possible ' such as a texaco modified cylinder or a no1 black widow or golden bee cylinder with a smaller Spi. I could also install a tee dee but I haven't made a decision yet I think a simple motor with a reed valve might be sufficient For this boat hull. I think that ideally it would be better to copy the hull and make a lighter, but more fragile one ....but I think that my technique for copying hull would allow me to build very light and strong once reinforce inside with balsa The little  joint that I found seems perfect to me and will certainly be effective in reducing shock on the engine crankchaft... And something that I forgot in the photo is the two bearings that will be placed behind the flexible joint on the flexible cable to eliminate any vibration coming from the cable. The system that I planned was to eliminate any vibration problem and should in principle allow the cables to shrink and extend freely without putting pressure on the motor directly  
I will take more photos of this during manufacturing. For the small shrimp I think I will make it smaller and narrower and lighter I even considered using a light ruder fin made of plastic To save on weight but first I'll see what happens  cheers   Currently I am impatient to finish the tiger moth after seeing a guy on youtube who was building the foker and finish the construction of this model at over 60g with a smaller dimension than mine and electric less efficient and heavier which seemed to fly well ....then my model at 60g will surely be faster and more precise and have better control with the elerons I still expect an incredible result with a more than perfect weight for a .010 tee dee , surely the plane will be very efficient despite the extra weight Airplane ....ok... Back to our boat now today I received a package let's say that I wasn't expecting to receive it packaged like this .... Huh... when I took it out of the mailbox I thought I had received a book ??? or I didn't know what it was when I opened the package I found this cheers wouhou yes Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 17127610
Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 17127611
Clapping Now I have everything to start building this little shrimp The 10 servo motors were really cheap and super fast shipping with Amazon Prime those cost me 45$ canadiens Which means that each servo costs me less than $5 each, a really good deal in my opinion for servos of this quality with metal gear Here are the specs ⤵⬇⬇⬇
Cox powered boat litle shrimp  hidroplane - Page 2 17127612
will use one for the small shrimp and probably others on car projects to replace the servo of my gtp and other truck or rc car for the shrimp it is more of a test I want to try waterproof this servo if it works well I'm going to save a fortune on water resistant servos cheers
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:10 pm

I cant wait untill the test video's
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:11 pm

Let us know the weight of the hull when you do the 2nd one for IC conversion.
I may get one to if the weight is reasonable with existing strut, rudder, turn fin.

Small Cox Logo Cool

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:42 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Let us know the weight of the hull when you do the 2nd one for IC conversion.
I may get one to if the weight is reasonable with existing strut, rudder, turn fin.  

Small Cox Logo  Cool

With pleasure I'm going to take the weight mesure I intend to order just the hull of the boat I will keep a complete electro for Niko m'y My 5 year old boy ...But be patient, I intend to reproduce some more affordable copy of this boat, obviously I am going to make some small modifications to accommodate the Cox engine, I am waiting for the temperatures to be
Warmer to start the manufacture of a first prototype I can make it very light and you can finish it painting and all the rest it would be a simple empty shell I have some similar project in progress
As the hull of the boat is somewhat expensive I don't know if it comes with the runig hardware strut, rudder, turn fin ?? And wonder if I can find the same piece separately or something similar When I get the second one we'll know exactly If for $89 the boat hull comes withrunig hardware strut, rudder, turn fin I would be surprised But in any case the drive shaft will have to be longer and replace
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:54 am

Popcorn Tagging along how do you plan to water proof the servos ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:49 am

getback wrote:Popcorn  Tagging along how do you plan to water proof the servos ?

I'm going to try it with a dip the circuit board in .silicone.  conformal coating and smal oring seal under servo horn use silicone Where the wire comes out of the servo And corrosion x on the potentiometer
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:41 am

getback wrote:Popcorn  Tagging along how do you plan to water proof the servos ?

I was curious about this too.. after David first mentioned it, so I posed the question on YouTube. Several vids came up.. but the most interesting one was from a guy who builds RC model submarines. He said that most servos "sold as waterproof" are actually only splash-proof and not meant for submersion. He waterproofs his servos with a few steps similar to what David mentions.. but the most interesting one is to completely fill the inside of the servo with "olive oil". The olive oil is a non-conductive insulator which eliminates the pressure-differential between the inside and outside of the servo-case when submerged.

Granted; this might be overkill for a servo that won't normally experience submergence.. but it's some extra insurance in the case that your vessel capsizes.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:25 pm

Thanks roddie for sharing the video It's an interesting idea I know that oil is used in large transformers on electrical lines and that certain oil types can be used with current without any problem of conductivity. The oil is a very good way to protect against water and corrosion And of course in the case of a boat. filling servo with oil I think would be one of the best way to do it but if the servo seal is well sealed the water should not enter the waterproof servo. The process that I use is different i use silicone. conformal coating on the bord inside corrosion x on the motor and potentiometer oring on the servo horn and silicone To seal casing Do it similar but using a silicone rather than epoxy allowing me to change parts or recover components to repair
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2