Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

loose connecting rod to piston fit  Cox_ba12

loose connecting rod to piston fit  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

loose connecting rod to piston fit  Empty
Live on Patrol

loose connecting rod to piston fit

Go down

loose connecting rod to piston fit  Empty loose connecting rod to piston fit

Post  daviddiag Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:13 pm

I have several old baby bee and golden bee engines that have loose piston to pin fit. They all well run in. How much looseness is acceptable? I have seen staking tool for sale. Is it worth it?
daviddiag
daviddiag
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

loose connecting rod to piston fit  Empty Re: loose connecting rod to piston fit

Post  nitroairplane Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:25 pm

daviddiag wrote: I have several old baby bee and golden bee engines that have loose piston to pin fit. They all well run in. How much looseness is acceptable? I have seen staking tool for sale. Is it worth it?
Yeah buy the reset tool.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

loose connecting rod to piston fit  Empty Re: loose connecting rod to piston fit

Post  dckrsn Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi David,
Welcome to the forum!
Tons of info here and and lots
of helpful members.
To start, type in "piston reset" in the
search bar at the upper right.
Tried it myself after reading your post, and
it came up with plenty of good reading.
I'm sure some of the gang will chime in too, and
that's what it's all about.
Again, welcome!
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Typically you want a ball socket fit with play of 0.002"-0.010". If it is any looser than that, I would suggest a reset tool.

Regards, Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:41 pm

loose connecting rod to piston fit  Welcom10

Welcome to the forum
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Puffie40 Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:44 pm

"Resetting" the piston is a normal maintenance practice on these motors. It takes a little practice, but you should set the piston so there is almost no play in the socket.

if the piston socket is left unchecked, it will start to hammer away at the top of the piston, and this happens:
loose connecting rod to piston fit  A4418432-14-COX%20Piston%20Failure%201
(Picture from here)

There is a Piston reset tool blueprint on the Yahoo 049 collectors group if you don't want to buy anything and want to make your own. Smile
Puffie40
Puffie40
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 pm

daviddiag wrote: I have several old baby bee and golden bee engines that have loose piston to pin fit. They all well run in. How much looseness is acceptable? I have seen staking tool for sale. Is it worth it?
The above answers are right for where the rod and ball socket connect inside the piston. If by 'pin fit' you mean the drive pin on the crank is loose in the con rod at the bottom, that's a different story. But since there's not much you can do about that, if that's the case, just run them.If the pin breaks off the crankshaft, it most likely wouldn't bust anything else in the engine.

Welcome to CEF, glad you found us.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  daviddiag Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 pm

I am truly impressed with this forum. My questions were all answered. I will be getting a reset tool. look forward to participating in the future. Thanks guys.....
daviddiag
daviddiag
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 pm

daviddiag wrote:I am truly impressed with this forum. My questions were all answered. I will be getting a reset tool. look forward to participating in the future. Thanks guys.....
Glad you like it here.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Remember its: tap, tap, tap; not bang, oh, crap! lots of light taps and use a piece of glass for base, some of the anvils can distort the piston.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 am

David, I agree that resetting the ball/socket should be routine maintenance.
However in the interest of full disclosure you should know that this is a controversial subject. One school claims that under normal operating conditions of our stock engines the piston is always forced downward against the rod, i.e., the rod never pulls the piston down and therefore the rod/piston slop has no effect on operation and is inconsequential. One fellow ran some rather convincing tests that seem to support this. He was investigating the effects of lube (synth/castor blends) and his measurements showed that even in the extreme failure illustrated in the above photo that all the wear was on the top side of the rod/piston interface and was caused by lack of lube. No wear was measured on the bottom side of the socket thus eliminating hammering as the cause.
On the other hand I know from experience that excessive slop WILL cause hard starting. (I believe this IS an accepted fact by both schools).
In regard to the reset tool, IMHO the anvil shape is more critical than the punch. The original Cox anvil has a ¼ in dia raised section in the center so that the piston is supported directly under the socket only. A flat bottom anvil (or any other flat surface used in lieu of an anvil) can cause the piston to mushroom unless you are very careful.
Al

Last edited by Big Al on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Al
Big Al
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:22 am

Puffie40 wrote:"Resetting" the piston is a normal maintenance practice on these motors. It takes a little practice, but you should set the piston so there is almost no play in the socket.

if the piston socket is left unchecked, it will start to hammer away at the top of the piston, and this happens:
loose connecting rod to piston fit  A4418432-14-COX%20Piston%20Failure%201
(Picture from here)

There is a Piston reset tool blueprint on the Yahoo 049 collectors group if you don't want to buy anything and want to make your own. Smile

wow, looks like you shot it with a 'bb' at the piston lol!
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Please read:
http://coxengineforum.forumakers.com/t753-the-revised-2011-gibeault-mouse-race-program It's great info on performance as well as proper care and feeding of these cool little engines.

Here's what Paul says about resetting the socket:
"Using the wrong piston holding fixture can result in a mushroomed head piston (totally ruined), so I don’t use one. Clean the socket area with acetone or brake cleaner first to remove the oil. Then lay the piston on a heavy piece of ½” plate glass or flat thick piece of steel (something quite dense like a vice). With the tool in place, tap with a hammer, rotate a bit, tap again and continue, checking often until all excess play is removed."
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down