Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

help with cox motor Cox_ba12

help with cox motor Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

help with cox motor Empty
Live on Patrol

help with cox motor

Go down

help with cox motor Empty help with cox motor

Post  Jason_dawg245 Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 am

Hi I'm jason_dawg245
I'm in a intro to auto shop in my middle school. My teacher Mr Henderson has issued a class project due in a week. We have to put together a (cox surestart 049 model airplane engine) and start it for the final points. We had to buy a $60 kit that contains the following parts as said on the sheet ( 1 Glow Head, 1 Cylinder, 1 Crankcase, 1 Crankshaft, 1 Propeller Plate, 1 Piston w/ Connecting Rod, 2 Glow Head Shims, 1 Back Plate, 1 Reed, 1 Reed Clip, 1 Spray Bar, 1 Spray Bar Retainer, 1 Needle Spring, 1 Needle Valve, 1 Needle Valve Cap, 1 Crankcase Gasket, 1 Spring Starter, 1 Spring Starter Catch, 4 Back Plate Screws, 1 Propeller Screw, 1 propeller washer. for the accessories (1 5x3 Propeller, 1 Glow Head Clip, 1 Battery Box, 1 Motor Mount, 4 Mounting Nuts and Bolts, 1 Starter Stick, 1 Bottle of "1/2-A" Fuel, 1 Syringe w/ Hose, 1 Fuel Tank w/ Hose, 2 Cable Ties, 2 Wrenches) I really have no interest in these engines as they have nothing to do with cars. I need help getting it started and making sure that i put it together right. I did read the instructions on how to put it together and I did put it together but me and my dad couldn't get it running. Any help would be great!
Jason_dawg245
Jason_dawg245
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

help with cox motor Empty Re: help with cox motor

Post  Admin Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:45 am

Wow, that must be fun! I don't know where to start! First off, make sure you read his instructions and followed them exactly so that all parts will be where they belong. It sure sounds like your teacher really took apart that engine all the way down the the cap on the needle valve! If you know that the engine is put together exactly the way the instructions say so then close the needle valve all the way and turn out 4 turns. Fill your fuel tank, make sure that the tank is level with the engine or above the engine as it is a gravity feed. Flip the engine over a few times, squirt some fuel into the exhaust ports and flip it over a few times. Attach the glow plug clip and wind the starter back 1 full turn and let it go! it should start, once it does, play with the needle and get it tuned to its peak RPMs! They are fun once you get it going the way you want! I have the real Cox Sure Start manual available to download on my site (link located on the above button bar) if you didn't get it with your project engine. This sounds like a fun project! We didn't have anything like this in our middle school, we did have a auto shop and a small engine class (lawnmower, chainsaw engines) in our high school but we didn't get to play around with those Cox engines! Hope this helps!
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_dawg245 Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Its not fun at all, they have nothing to do with cars. The engine doesnt look or work like a car engine. It doesn't even run off real gas, it runs off this special "1/2A" fuel. I don't know if it is put together correctly, i did follow the instructions there are no left over parts. I tried what you said and it still wouldn't start. I read through that manual that you told me to download and nothing in that seemed to help. Do you have any other tips or am i going to get a F?
Jason_dawg245
Jason_dawg245

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2 A-Team Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 pm

The reason your teacher wants you to put this engine together is because he wants you to know the basic parts of the internal combustion engine. Cox engines are very basic engines and they are perfect for a teaching tool. They are small, easy to take apart and they don't cost too much. Those engines are similar to car engines! Car engines may not look the same as those Cox engines, but that's because a cars engine has more then one cylinder, is bigger and has to deliver enough power to move a heavy car. Plus car engines have electronics and sensors to control the speed and many other things. Cox engines only need to deliver enough power to turn a prop and pull a small light weight plane through the air. Car engines and Cox engines are both internal combustion engines, they both have a cylinder, piston, crankshaft, crankcase.... The only differences is that the Cox engine that you are using is a 2 stroke engine, has a reed valve (cars do not use a reed valve) and that it has a glow plug, gasoline powered cars do not use a glow plug but diesels do. 1/2A fuel is a fuel made up from 15%-35% nitromethane, 20% Castor oil and methanol (wood alcohol). You can buy that fuel from hobby shops or order it off line. Just make sure you don't go and try to use gasoline or any other fuel. If you are having trouble, tell your teacher!
1/2 A-Team
1/2 A-Team
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_dawg245 Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for everyones help. A guy at my dads work knows alot about these engines as he has a few old plastic cars that have them in it. He said he will take it home, rebuild it and get it running for me. I just want to know how to fix my own car if it breaks down. I have no intention on rebuilding a car engine, I would leave that work to a real mechanic. Many other kids in my class were having trouble with their engines also. Only a few kids actually found this fun and got theirs to run. If I don't give the engine to my dads friend, I'll list it for sale on here. I'll never have a use for it. I don't fly airplanes or watch a little car go around in a circle, I play video games that I could drive a real looking car around on a real looking road. Thanks - jason_dawg245
Jason_dawg245
Jason_dawg245

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Jason_dawg245 wrote:Thanks for everyones help. A guy at my dads work knows alot about these engines as he has a few old plastic cars that have them in it. He said he will take it home, rebuild it and get it running for me. I just want to know how to fix my own car if it breaks down. I have no intention on rebuilding a car engine, I would leave that work to a real mechanic. Many other kids in my class were having trouble with their engines also. Only a few kids actually found this fun and got theirs to run. If I don't give the engine to my dads friend, I'll list it for sale on here. I'll never have a use for it. I don't fly airplanes or watch a little car go around in a circle, I play video games that I could drive a real looking car around on a real looking road. Thanks - jason_dawg245

video games? That is what is wrong with kids these days. They don't go out and learn this kind of stuff on their own by playing with a little engines or take anything apart to see how it works. Instead you go on a video game and learn some made up [bleep] about cars. You cant click a little button and expect to get your engine swapped in your car, you or someone else has to do it. Turn of the game station and go outside, go take apart your dads tape deck, go fix a bike, go do something other then sitting on your ass and play a video game.
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2 A-Team Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:34 pm

Carl wrote:go take apart your dads tape deck,

Tape Deck Smile Remember those old 8-track tapes?
1/2 A-Team
1/2 A-Team
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 pm

yeah those things were [bleep]. every 5th tape i would buy would have that dragging sound from the cartrage. they didn't sound very good, sometimes if it was a cheap tape you would get that song crossing sound where you hear both tracks playing at once. I remember leaving one in my player in my car on a hot day. I came out to find that the little rubber wheel inside the tape melted and messed up my player. I actually plugged my old deck in last christmas to play some Eddy Arnold's christmas music that I havent played in years, the little metal strip on the tape broke leaving me with a 2 ended tape. I threw away that tape, i should just throw away the whole player....
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_dawg245 Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 pm

I just want to say that my dads friend got the motor running and I took it in to class today, the teacher was pleased. I asked my dads friend if he wanted it and he said no so keep all your eyes open as im going to list it for sale after friday on here.
jason_dawg245
Jason_dawg245
Jason_dawg245

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down