Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Motor Issues Cox_ba12

Cox Motor Issues Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» need info on this
by lla Today at 10:30 am

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:26 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 6:23 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Motor Issues Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Motor Issues

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cox Motor Issues Empty Cox Motor Issues

Post  Godsey3.0 Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello. I bought a cox motor from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/370542796522?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1382wt_1396 and I have no clue what kind it is and I can't keep it running. When I flick it over fuel comes out of the breather hole in the back. And when it does fire smoke and oil flies out of the ports. I screwed the needle valve in all the way and kept flicking it over and eventually it started. It ran for a couple seconds then died. I don't know how to tell the condition of the reed valve but at one point the motor was running and the needle valve was screwed in and it wouldn't go any faster. From my experience it should have been going way faster. I swapped props with another motor and took tank off and checked needle valve and now it won't start.

Last edited by Godsey3.0 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Motor Issues Empty Re: Cox Motor Issues

Post  Admin Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Did you check the venturi gasket? This was the main issue with my QRC. While you have it apart check the crankcase gasket and replace if you have to and also check the reed, make sure it can move and is not gummed up.

If it is the venturi gasket, you can order some new ones here>http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=73&cat=25&page=1 or http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17645&cat=268&page=7 or make one by carefully cutting a piece of the same inner/outer diameter fuel tubing with a razor blade or xacto knife.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Cox Motor Issues Ventur10

This is the venturi.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Motor Issues Empty Cox motor issues

Post  Godsey3.0 Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm

I actually managed to get the motor to run. I don't know what i did. I took it apart to check venturi gasket which wasnt there then i flicked it over a couple of times and it started and ran at 2 1/2 turns. I killed it with needle valve and tank was empty so i am losing fuel from somewhere. I didnt run it long enough to drain rank. I will get new gaskets for it. I will also get reed valve because it does pop alot when trying to start it.

P.S. Sorry Admin if i made the topic twice.
P.P.S Can anyone identify this motor? The cylinder and piston are of a newer style with small slits. It also says made in the USA.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:28 pm

I believe fuel starvation to be the issue here. A venturi gasket, if not to be found, is certainly a suspect as could be the fuel pickup line in the tank which could be plugged with "goo". Also consider a blocked needle valve seat.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I have checked the needle valve seat and the pick up line and both are clear. The previous owner stored it in wd 40 so that is probably a factir. The first time i took it apart there was goo in it but air still went through it. Now it is clear.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Disassemble and soak your engine in some new fuel or 91% isopropyl alcohol overnight. Yeah, either out of a EZ Bee, or a Babe Bee that someone tossed a muffler on. Probably not a QZ, since the QZ was discontinued around '77 and the hex snap starter came later.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:15 am

Admin wrote:Disassemble and soak your engine in some new fuel or 91% isopropyl alcohol overnight. Yeah, either out of a EZ Bee, or a Babe Bee that someone tossed a muffler on. Probably not a QZ, since the QZ was discontinued around '77 and the hex snap starter came later.

I would say it is an engine made of spares not a production model it is prpbably the venture gasket.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:58 am

Original problem sounds like venturi gasket to me. You dont need to buy them, you can make them yourself from large dia. fuel tube or you can buy them. Might be best to buy them in your case.

Another thing you should check is where the fuel pickup tube is situated. The tube will be placed to one side for control line use or to the bottom for free flight or radio control use. If it is placed to the side then it will not use the whole tank on the test stand.

Regards
Warren

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:00 am

Godsey3.0 wrote: ......I took it apart to check venturi gasket which wasnt there then i flicked it over a couple of times and it started and ran at 2 1/2 turns.

If the venturi gasket is missing, it will have to be replaced. With the gasket gone, the engine will run very rich (if at all) at the beginning of the run until the fuel level drops below the venturi tube, then it will go lean as air is sucked in.

Secondly, if your engine has some age on it, the fuel pickup tube has likely hardened -- this should also be replaced. When it hardens, it won't seal on the fuel nipple on the backplate and the engine can suck air, causing either a lean run or difficult needling. This can be replaced with a piece of small ID silicon fuel tubing. Just make sure it reaches to the bottom of the tank (for R/C) or to the lower right hand side (for C/L). I tend to cut the end at an angle just to ensure that it doesn't sit flat against the backplate or tank side.

A new set of gaskets, fuel tube and reed, if yours is dimpled or bent, would likely be your best bet rather than chasing problem after problem. Gasket kits are available from COX International and will cover the bases for you.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:47 am

I could only add to Andrew's suggestion to be sure the sping within the pick up line is free of obstruction. It also serves as a rudimentary filter to catch "stuff" before it is sucked into the venturi.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:16 am

Godsey --

I looked at your original eBay listing and attached images. That engine was showing a lot of external corrosion on the backplate and may well have internal corrosion. If any of that has broken loose and gotten into or blocked the NV orifice, it may explain some fuel starvation issues. Even though you may have soaked the backplate, the corrosion is not soluable and could remain. A thorough soaking (I prefer denatured alcohol or acetone) followed up with blowing out all passages usually clears the problem. DO NOT poke around with wire or other metal tool --- you can gently clean seats and passages with a sharpened toothpick. Just be sure not to break a piece off.

I had also wondered if your engine had a plastic backplate, but it doesn't. There have been some issues associated with the plastic backplates distorting if they have been overtightened and left to sit for a long time. That's not going to be your problem.

Realistically, take Mudhen's offer of repair --- send it to him and let him get it back on its feet. Older engines can be cantankerous at times and letting someone with experience get it running can save a lot of frustration.

Edit: WD40 is not a good long term storage solution. Over time, the volatiles will evaporate and leave a hard, dark deposit that must either be chipped off or dissolved with a strong solvent. I use Marvel Mystery Oil. Some folks will use a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF, some use Marvel Air Tool oil and some use ATF alone. I've read comments that Marvel also will dry out over time, but I've never had that problem. I think that it may be due to the fact that I hit my engines quite heavily (pickle them, if you will), then store in heavy duty ziplocs. Before sealing, I squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible, then seal. I think that removing as much air as I can, then having an airtight seal keeps it from drying out over long storage periods.

andrew

Last edited by andrew on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information)
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:31 pm

I got the motor running. It was the venturi gasket. I don't know why I didn't go ahead and put one on in the first place. Would have saved a lot of headache. Thanks everyone for helping. Now to get this motor in a plane. I am thinking my first control line.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:38 pm

yeah, when i read this, the first thing that comes to mind is the venturi gasket; dirty reed or a dirty needle valve. Great you got it running! for my long term storage oil, i use air tool lubrication oil. It has never dried out on me before. I did find a babe bee submerged in a jar of oil at a garage sale. it was literally on the bottom of a 1/2 pint jar of clean motor oil. I bought that engine for only $8 about 2 years ago.
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:11 am

Carl wrote:yeah, when i read this, the first thing that comes to mind is the venturi gasket; dirty reed or a dirty needle valve. Great you got it running! for my long term storage oil, i use air tool lubrication oil. It has never dried out on me before. I did find a babe bee submerged in a jar of oil at a garage sale. it was literally on the bottom of a 1/2 pint jar of clean motor oil. I bought that engine for only $8 about 2 years ago.

did it run well Carl?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:35 am

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Godsey3.0 wrote:I got the motor running. It was the venturi gasket. I don't know why I didn't go ahead and put one on in the first place. Would have saved a lot of headache. Thanks everyone for helping. Now to get this motor in a plane. I am thinking my first control line.

Have a look at the SIG Skyray. It is simple to build, easy to fix, and has external controls that can be adjusted from minimum control (beginner) to maximum (to do stunts).

There are many choices, depending on your skill.

Good luck

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:04 pm

I now have more issues with the integral tank. I put the tank on my diesel bomber to run with nitro fuel and it hydro locked. I took the cylinder off and fuel leaks right into the crank case. Do I just need to get a rebuild kit for this tank?
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:07 pm

probably or a new tank.
Try the rebuild kit maybe you have a fouled reed.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Thats what I thought it was at first but I tested the reed and it seems to be fine. It doesnt have any holes. There are no holed in the venturi tube that goes through the tank. I was hoping it was the venturi gasket.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Godsey,

You need 2 different crankcase gaskets simultaneously.

A DC one to mate to the crankcase surface and a regular one to close around the screw holes.

We ran into that issue when we began making DC engines with integral tanks.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Will this stop fuel leaking into the crankcase? I was using two DC gaskets.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next