Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! Cox_ba12

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! Empty
Live on Patrol

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's !

Go down

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! Empty Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's !

Post  Kim Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Had a few minutes today, so got the chance to run my Cox Conquest .15 ! It started pretty easily, but kept running up lean, 'till I had to pinch the tube and shut it down. Probably needs a little more cleaning in the spray bar. The tach reading shown was during one of it's surges...not sure what this puppy is designed to run at...but it was almost scary for me to see one this size turning like that!

Also had the glowhead try to quit on me, but was able to prod it back to life with a straight pin. Figure that I need to lay in a supply of these glowheads if I can find them!

Still, pretty happy with the thing!

Prop: Gray 8-4
Fuel: glowplugboy 10%

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 1_15

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 2_13

Last edited by Kim on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! Empty Re: Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's !

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Well +20000rpm on a 8x4 prop would be pretty fantastic...

Did it really sound like 20000 or did the tach pick up a reflection or something?

I haven't run mine for quite some time but it should do around 20000 on a 7x4 and about 15000rpm on an 8x4 (from memory).

The CL version with the large ventury needs to run with tank pressure, there should be a nipple on the backplate for that.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! Empty Re: Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's !

Post  nitroairplane Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:37 pm

That's mad RPM< as Kris said that's very high for a conquest, are you sure it's stock and not modded?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:Well +20000rpm on a 8x4 prop would be pretty fantastic...

Did it really sound like 20000 or did the tach pick up a reflection or something?

I haven't run mine for quite some time but it should do around 20000 on a 7x4 and about 15000rpm on an 8x4 (from memory).

The CL version with the large ventury needs to run with tank pressure, there should be a nipple on the backplate for that.

Thanks Kris! OK...I thought as much. It SOUNDED fast, but I'm easily impressed. Figure the tach WAS getting a reflection, and I'll have to give it another go.

I appreciate the tip on pressurizing the fuel. The engine doesn't have a pressure tap, so I may have to see if I can get one from MECOA.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:15 pm

nitroairplane wrote:That's mad RPM< as Kris said that's very high for a conquest, are you sure it's stock and not modded?

Yeah...it's what I get for being too quick on posting these things! Figure to do a re-run when I'm not pushed for time !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 pm

There ya are Kim, wondering where you went. Seems you finally found your Conquest. I am thinking about one for my "Perky"

It would be a good fit. Looks like a screamer.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Hey Ron!
Yep...still messing around. Been flying my Lazy Bee around with a P.A.W. .06 Diesel on the front. A little small for the Bee, but it DOES fly...sort of !
Looks like I've got some work cut out for me to make this Conquest runnable !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 am

[quote="Kim"]...Also had the glowhead try to quit on me, but was able to prod it back to life with a straight pin. Figure that I need to lay in a supply of these glowheads if I can find them!
(quote]
There's a couple on eBay right now.
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 am

[quote="stevej"]
Kim wrote:...Also had the glowhead try to quit on me, but was able to prod it back to life with a straight pin. Figure that I need to lay in a supply of these glowheads if I can find them!
(quote]
There's a couple on eBay right now.

Yo Stevej ! Thanks! I scarfed up three of them !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 am

WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:41 am

WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:24 pm

You can also get the RC head that takes regular glow plugs.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm

My flying buddy has a couple Ron Young Conquests for sale. 27,130 rpm
on FAI fuel- zero nitro, 20% castor
7x3 Bartels prop
http://freeflight.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1655&p=11582#p11582
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

stevej wrote:My flying buddy has a couple Ron Young Conquests for sale. 27,130 rpm
on FAI fuel- zero nitro, 20% castor
7x3 Bartels prop
http://freeflight.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1655&p=11582#p11582

Appreciate it Steve...looks like I've got a line on a carbed version!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! Empty Running my Conquest with Crankcase Pressure!

Post  Kim Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:05 am

OK, I drilled out the backplate pressure fitting with a number drill that matched the inside diameter of the pilot hole on the stem. IT FEEDS NOW !!!

I was running it on 10% GPB with a M.A. 8-4 square-tip prop, and getting (I'm pretty sure this is NOT an illusion) a strong mid-17 reading...which STILL made me act like I was trying to pet a cobra when adjusting it.

The needle, however, is VERY sensitive with a quarter-turn being the difference between it running peaked and slobbering out...with what seemed like a lot of fuel coming out from front bearing. On pulling it from the stand, I noticed that the venturi has a slight looseness, not flopping around, but just a tiny movement when pressed. I figure this might be letting it suck air around the O-ring, and intend to check it out this morning.

Also, I noticed that there are two venturi sizes offered for this engine. Would one be better suited for CL as opposed to R/C (I'm talking pure Sport Flying here), AND allow me NOT to use case pressure? I can't find the site at the moment to list the size numbers.

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 1_17

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 2_18

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:10 am

On a recent Secret Skunk Works Mission to the Home Town of Popeye, I relieved Travis of his cherished carburated Cox Conquest. Naturally carrying some suspicion in dealings with ANYONE riding one of them big nasty motorcycles, I can convey that, yesterday, I was able to test run this .15, and I can confidently report Travis as an honorable dude !!!!

It turned in the mid-13's on 10% GPB, with an M.A. 8-4. I was about to get blasted by Hurricane Issac's leftovers, and forgot to check the Conquest's low-end, but will do that shortly.

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 1_18

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 2_19

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 3_15

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 6_12

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 7_12

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 8_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 am

Kim, last weekend my son and I were involved in a racing event . We generally race Foxberg planes and I run the Fox to death. I lost the plane last year to a failed control horn which resulted in the crank bending and the case shattering. I was a bit hot about that. I still have a good piston liner fit however. I will get another case. This year we raced PDQ Flying clowns which Brodak re kitted. I fly the PDQ version which I prefer. The OS LA.15 is my choice of engine and I run 40% nitro with a clipped down APC 7x6. I held 3rd all day until the end in which we got bumped to 5th and I was running rich. We got beat out by the COX Conquest.15. It was hauling the mail. I believe he may have been running some seriously high nitro. We can't exceed 140 laps in 6 minutes. I was getting 129 laps with 3 pitstops. Old hat technology still rules. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am

The OS .15 CVA would be a better comparison/representation of modern engines I think. The LA series are rather timid and only have two transfer channels etc.

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:13 am

Ken Cook wrote: Kim, last weekend my son and I were involved in a racing event . We generally race Foxberg planes and I run the Fox to death. I lost the plane last year to a failed control horn which resulted in the crank bending and the case shattering. I was a bit hot about that. I still have a good piston liner fit however. I will get another case. This year we raced PDQ Flying clowns which Brodak re kitted. I fly the PDQ version which I prefer. The OS LA.15 is my choice of engine and I run 40% nitro with a clipped down APC 7x6. I held 3rd all day until the end in which we got bumped to 5th and I was running rich. We got beat out by the COX Conquest.15. It was hauling the mail. I believe he may have been running some seriously high nitro. We can't exceed 140 laps in 6 minutes. I was getting 129 laps with 3 pitstops. Old hat technology still rules. Ken

Man that stuff sounds like fun. I hope I can make it out to the Brodak Party next year. Just seems like something always pops up, and draws me always from making the run.

One of my many "Ought to Do" projects is finishing my Goldberg Shoestring and bolting my cut-down Ebay Fox to it. Purely for fun, but it ought to be interesting anyway.

"We can't exceed 140 laps in 6 minutes. I was getting 129 laps with 3 pitstops. Old hat technology still rules"...What length lines are you running in this event? 60' ?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:49 am

Kim, were using 52" lines. In regards to the OS CVA engine, they were used and they get DQ's for going to fast. This event is not for the fastest but to keep within certain parameters. Clown racing pretty much got way out of control and we race similar to Brodak rules. The difference being, Brodak is all LA .15's or Brodak 15's 1 oz. tank and 52' lines with contest supplied fuel. Our rules allow ANY engine up to 19.9 any fuel but you can't exceed the lap amounts within the certain time. The CVA engine will do that unless you choke the intake down. Bordak also flies with a minimum of 3 in the circle while we use 2. Chaos comes quickly when your flying too many in the circle. I've done as many as 5 just for fun but it gets ridiculous. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:43 am

Kim wrote:On a recent Secret Skunk Works Mission to the Home Town of Popeye, I relieved Travis of his cherished carburated Cox Conquest. Naturally carrying some suspicion in dealings with ANYONE riding one of them big nasty motorcycles, I can convey that, yesterday, I was able to test run this .15, and I can confidently report Travis as an honorable dude !!!!

It turned in the mid-13's on 10% GPB, with an M.A. 8-4. I was about to get blasted by Hurricane Issac's leftovers, and forgot to check the Conquest's low-end, but will do that shortly.

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 1_18

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 2_19

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 3_15

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 6_12

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 7_12

Running up my Ebay AND Travis' Conquest .15's ! 8_11

How did I miss this? Glad you got it running. Did you end up changing the cylinder/piston?

WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:42 am

It just cranked up right out of the bag! Funny thing...I've been running all these unbridled, carb-less engines so much, that I forgot to check it's throttle response! We'll fix that when I get a chance !

Yep, looks like a healthy pup !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 am

Kim wrote:It just cranked up right out of the bag! Funny thing...I've been running all these unbridled, carb-less engines so much, that I forgot to check it's throttle response! We'll fix that when I get a chance !

I never could get the darn thing to run DAMMIT!
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:06 pm

WingingIt74 wrote:
Kim wrote:It just cranked up right out of the bag! Funny thing...I've been running all these unbridled, carb-less engines so much, that I forgot to check it's throttle response! We'll fix that when I get a chance !

I never could get the darn thing to run DAMMIT!

Well, I MIGHT have put a new glowplug in it....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down