Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Cox_ba12

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Empty
Live on Patrol

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Empty How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk

Post  Admin Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Quite awhile back I said I would write a how to on making reeds out of floppy disk material (the disk housed inside the square shell). Since most people no longer use floppy disks and many people who have owned a computer before the early 2000s likely have a stash of them somewhere in their home. Why not put them to use again? Maybe a little better use than they were really made for. If you don't have any of them or don't want to destroy the ones you have, you can often find them for about $3 an unopened box from most thrift stores.

The first thing you will want to do is find an "unwanted" floppy disk.

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Imag3410

You will want to start opening it by removing the metal sliding door, after a little bending and twisting, this should just pull right off along with the spring. I would save that door for a later project.

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Imag3411

The shell should pull apart by separating the two halves from the end where you removed the metal door.
How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Imag3412

Remove the ferric oxide coated mylar disk from the separated shell halves.

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Imag3413

Now its time to cut out the reed. There are different ways this could be done, I have tried several ways since I took these pictures about a year ago. In the picture, I used some double sided Scotch tape on a stainless steel reed then stuck onto a rough piece of mylar cut from the disk. I then trimmed the edges with a scissors using the factory reed as a pattern. That works good but sometimes the reed can come out looking a little rough. I have not noticed any decrease in engine performance due to the rough cut reed (as long as it was cut to the correct shape and size). Another way I have tried was to trace the factory reed onto the disk with a fine point permanent marker and then carefully cut it out with an xacto knife. I have also experimented with different shapes, one of which was one that was made using a star hole punch with the points trimmed and rounded a bit.

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Imag3414

The ferric oxide coating on the disk should not harm the engine any and will slowly wear off with use. If you want to remove the coating before use, a little acetone should do the trick.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:24 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : RESTORE MISSING PICTURES)

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Empty Re: How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for posting that. I have plenty of old floppies. Have you put any of them into extended use? I wonder it they work and last longer with circlip or plastic retainers, or if it matters at all. I have a bunch of Bees with both types that I need to assemble, I think I'll give it a try.

Note to self: add this to my project documentary list.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Empty Re: How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk

Post  mitchg95 Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:18 pm

thats a great idea thanks for that tip, i might make some tomorrow night after class
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm

I have used the reeds before in both the "e" clip and plastic retainers, as long as they freely rotate, they do work. You could also do the suck and blow test before assembly to make sure it seals. I don't run the engines all the time so I don't know if they will last longer or not. They seem to be the same as the factory mylar reeds. The different designs that I have tried sometimes do and sometimes don't work. The punched out star ones did work (a regular star with 5 points, not like the old Cox "star" reeds). I have also cut out one that worked quite well but was a pain to make that I will have to make and post a drawing of (unless I can find where I put it).

I would say that these reeds and the venturi gaskets that you can quickly make are more of a "band-aid" until you get actual factory replacements. I have noticed that the venturi gaskets made from the silicone tubing do eventually split after being in place for a long time. I don't notice a problem when they are running but when you instantly go in for the disassembly for the long term storage cleaning, the gasket splits. I have only noticed that happen in engines that have been sitting for at least a year. As for the reeds, I'm sure those could last much longer. All I notice on the reeds is the oxide coating slowly wear off as the engine is used. I don't fly my engines so they don't get extreme use so I really can't say how fast they wear out.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:27 pm

I have done this before. Works great.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 pm

To make venturi gaskets out of a piece of fuel tubing, https://www.coxengineforum.com/t308-quick-and-easy-way-to-make-venturi-gaskets

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 pm

I have to wonder how those reeds work. They are half the thickness of the standard ones. I would love to hear from anyone who has used them over a long period of time.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:36 am

cribbs74 wrote:I have to wonder how those reeds work. They are half the thickness of the standard ones. I would love to hear from anyone who has used them over a long period of time.

Yeah, they are a bit thinner than the original cox reeds. I too would like to hear how much use these can take.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  iskandar taib Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Aside from the 3 1/2" disks there were also 5 1/4" ones. Not to mention things like Bernoulli and Jaz drive media (I have some lying around). Some of this material might be a little thicker. I'm thinking the thinner material might actually be better at high RPMs (for Mouse racing and the like).

Iskandar
iskandar taib
iskandar taib
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:23 pm

iskandar taib wrote:Aside from the 3 1/2" disks there were also 5 1/4" ones.

I had a PDP-1103 that used 8" floppy diskettes. You could make enough reeds for a fleet of planes.

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk 8_inch10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  iskandar taib Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Some of that reel-to-reel computer tape was pretty thick stuff, too.. But VHS tape would probably be too thin.

What I have used successfully in the past was drafting mylar - have a roll of that lying around somewhere.

Iskandar
iskandar taib
iskandar taib
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iskandar taib Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:15 pm

Heh, interesting - I emailed this discussion to a friend of mine. He wasn't impressed, says he uses polyethylene! I asked him how thick (garbage bag or ziplock bag) but I haven't received an answer yet (I'll post it when I get it). Now itching to try this myself!

Iskandar
iskandar taib
iskandar taib
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bnitram Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Hello
in my Cox Babe Bee is the reed valve also broken.
Tomorrow, I will try it with the floppy disk and then report here how it's worked out.

I'm German, so my English is not good.
bnitram
bnitram
bnitram
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Welcome to the Forum, bnitram !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am

sorry to necro a topic, but would this work in the space bug and space bug jr.?
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ZAGNUT Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 am

Been years since I've made any but I used to use a different part of the floppy disk. Under the "cloth" there is a rectangular piece of plastic that acts as a spring to keep the cloth in contact with the disk. This plastic seems very mylar-ish and is the same thickness as the original reed. Not all floppies have this piece and I don't remember which brands do....Hope I figured out how to upload the ancient photo.

David

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Mylar12
ZAGNUT
ZAGNUT
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:34 am

That looks like a nice firm piece of mylar that would be good for the job.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 pm

@zagnut, good find mate
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RAMJETT Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 am

I used some old picture negatives to make them once ,seemed to work ok. I don't know what the material is but it worked well . back then my planes had a shorter life span then any reed LOL so I could not tell you how long they last.
RAMJETT
RAMJETT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:21 pm

RAMJETT wrote:I used some old picture  negatives to make them once ,seemed to work ok. I don't know what the material is but it worked well . back then my planes had a shorter life span then any reed LOL so I could not tell you how long they last.
I believe that the "photo-negative" mat'l. and also "motion-picture film" mat'l. is called "celluloid".

If you save old airplane-kit "boxes" (as I do...) there may be some mylar "hinge" mat'l. in there that's leftover or even "unused" that may work. "Sterling" furnished this hinge mat'l. with their later kits. "Acetate" canopy mat'l. might also work; depending on the thickness.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

RknRusty wrote:That looks like a nice firm piece of mylar that would be good for the job.
That's the part that I use --- but, you generally will get only a single reed, two if you're real careful.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:47 am

andrew wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:Aside from the 3 1/2" disks there were also 5 1/4" ones.
I had a PDP-1103 that used 8" floppy diskettes. You could make enough reeds for a fleet of planes.

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk 8_inch10
A friend of mine had a PDP 1122 beside his bed for years. Worked well s a central heater too.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  looperdude Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:45 am

could you do a thread on making star reeds?
looperdude
looperdude
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk Empty Reeds for Texaco slow turning engines?

Post  jeaton01 Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Are thin or thick reeds better for low rpm and big (8-4) props?
jeaton01
jeaton01

http://goldeneramodel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:49 pm

If you have the copper beryllium reeds they will be good for that purpose. In my humble opinion anyway.

I wouldn't see the other materials being a bad option either though. Test and tune is your best bet.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next